10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scourge of Azuremyst View Post
    No it isnt. And many ppl cant even afford healthcare there, those will remain hidden spreaders.
    Don't underestimate US capability of throwing $$ at problems, they will pay for everything related to Coronavirus and for all the healthcare issues - they still have a shitton of capacity there, more than almost any country in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Oh..yeah.
    The general talk is...well, if there are no mass deaths, and the country is willing to have mass unemployment, schools closed, businesses tanking...for just a couple of elderly folk dying.
    That might sound cruel, but...it's not worth it.
    Except there very likely will be mass deaths if nothing is done. That's the problem with people like you. If we end up doing a wide shut down to reduce the deaths you'll just look back and say "See I was right!!" When in reality you were still wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    And we have 30 year olds in our ICU with 80% of their lungs filled with fluid. Age is a factor but it is not the only factor, people are forming this opinion that if you're healthy you'll be fine. A virus sadly does not care if your nutrition is top notch or if you spend in time in the gym daily.

Since when did pneumonia get downgraded to just "a cold"? Since that's the impression i get from people who act they will be fine. You might need hospitalization if it hits you, there are reports of 17 year olds getting hit hard by it.
    People also seem to not understand that currently they're able to treat those younger people with severe symptoms and they're able to survive. If hospitals are overrun that won't be the case anymore. They'll have to triage and the elderly deaths and those with compromised immune systems will almost certainly die and the younger generations won't be able to get treatment.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Don't underestimate US capability of throwing $$ at problems, they will pay for everything related to Coronavirus and for all the healthcare issues - they still have a shitton of capacity there, more than almost any country in the world.
    Are you ignoring the current administration by chance or on purpose?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

*shrugs*
    What is being said is that of the 330 million people in the country, and we're willing to shit all over the economy for years over a few thousand...?
    Over a few thousand? It's estimated to kill millions if nothing is done.

But sure, ignore the experts with literally hundreds of years of combined experience in mathematical modelling.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter3000 View Post

But sure, ignore the experts with literally hundreds of years of combined experience in mathematical modelling.
    I fear shadowferal just doesn't understand that there is no cure for this.
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    Keeping economies shut down and people having no money could potentially result in far greater death and destruction than the virus. I agree its a serious matter but I also believe at some point people will say enough is enough with the quarantines and social unrest will rise
    Wrong. Research how many people died during the great depression as a result of starvation and homelessness and then how many died from the spanish flu.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Are you ignoring the current administration by chance or on purpose?
    It does not matter, seems they have finally realized it's not some silly corona flu and are opening up the coffers. They will pay for everything and cover everything.

By all means cower in your basement if it makes you happy.

I'm looking at the strip mall where I just bought lunch and it seems plenty of people have no problem with shopping right now.
    Adjusting for a new normal...people are so adaptable.

IF...lets crash the US economy on an "if." Hundreds of thousands of millions...What country do you live in that has that many?
    You seem to not know the basic logic of an if-then statement. The people that make these models know what they're doing. They'll be pretty damn accurate if the conditions they used are true and those conditions are the current methods being used. So, IF nothing is done, millions dead IS what WILL happen.

Stood in the Fire Grand Phoenix's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Welp, my state's next for shelter in place: https://www.chicagotribune.com/coron...U-Krjk1f8D_0Ag

A question: since all but essential jobs like grocery workers are shuttered until the end of the month or April, would it be a bad time to be looking for work that doesn't involve retail? I have experience in cashiering and food handling services, so for the time being would it best to just apply for those positions until other places reopen?

15+ Year Old Account
    It does not matter, seems they have finally realized it's not some silly corona flu and are opening up the coffers. They will pay for everything and cover everything.
    In the country where it's cheaper to fly to another country to use their healthcare system twice instead of their own the government will now simply chip in and pay for everything? I have my doubts.

Yeah...we love predictions that the sky is falling...
    These aren't predictions about some football game or UFC fight. Models utilizing this much data are pretty fucking accurate the variables have very low variation. There won't be some surprise upset, or the opposite in this case.

- - - Updated - - -

By all means cower in your basement if it makes you happy.

I'm looking at the strip mall where I just bought lunch and it seems plenty of people have no problem with shopping right now.
    Adjusting for a new normal...people are so adaptable.
    I really hope we go on full lockdown and they actually enforce it with fines so idiots like you are punished when breaking those rules. You yourself could be infected without knowing it and end up going out and infected hundreds of others of people who may be out once time for supplies and then they go home to their families and get them all infected and you end up being responsible for the death of hundreds or even thousands that would have been perfectly fine if you had a clue.
    [Infraction]
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-03-20 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Minor Flaming

I really hope we go on full lockdown and they actually enforce it with fines so idiots like you are punished when breaking those rules.
    oh please...you are clueless of what I do for a living.

Give ya a hint; my routines won't change with a lockdown...idiot.
    [Infraction]
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-03-20 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Minor Flaming

oh please...you are clueless of what I do for a living.

Give ya a hint; my routines won't change with a lockdown...idiot.
    You were just talking about hanging out at a mall. Do you clean it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Except there very likely will be mass deaths if nothing is done. That's the problem with people like you. If we end up doing a wide shut down to reduce the deaths you'll just look back and say "See I was right!!" When in reality you were still wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

People also seem to not understand that currently they're able to treat those younger people with severe symptoms and they're able to survive. If hospitals are overrun that won't be the case anymore. They'll have to triage and the elderly deaths and those with compromised immune systems will almost certainly die and the younger generations won't be able to get treatment.
    I can live with a few people who lack understanding believing they are right at the cost of not having bodies piled up. But you are correct the reason the dramatic and painful situation that is taking place in Italy is not being repeated -yet- elsewhere, is that everyone is slowly and surely taking it more serious, but the US is not there yet look at the springbreakers, or just look at NYC i don't understand see how people like him are downplaying the seriousness of this while there are ships being deployed to aid with medical aid, while states are going on full lock down.

Mind you, i also was part of it is just "a flue crowd" for a long time, till your direct environment starts to change, you have people around you being impacted and so on maybe when his state or town gets impacted. Often it takes a crisis to be in your face to accept the situation.

However people who are simply stating we should just let those likely to die by this die and let "god sort them out to save our economy!" those are simply horrible human beings, i understand for americans that this is different and their view on this is different because they do not have the social security networks in place others have, they do not have regulations in place that forced banks to build reserves after the last bank crisis after being bailed out and the view of some where a corporation survival is more important than that of a person, that just shows something deeply wrong inside America.

Capacity is an issue, belgium is doing find because we have 1900 ICU beds now and capacity for more if i am not mistaken, we accept this is the early stage and have enacted harsh matters and to everyone's surprise most people are listening and staying home if they job is not crucial to logistics, healthcare etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Many countries just don't test people, like Finland. We currently only test hospitalized people and health care workers with symptoms.

I called the hospital today and they told me to check in. I went there, they did blood work etc. but didn't take a corona test. Just told me to quarantine myself home and contact them again if my situation becomes unbearable and I need to be hospitalized.
    so you went to the hospital yourself, and then they told you to go back and quarantine without even giving you an update.
    don't get me wrong i'm not blaming you, you could only do it this way and took responsibility for yourself, but your right, they just seem to be half arsing it.

Take care, same to everyone here.
    #boycottchina

You were just talking about hanging out at a mall. Do you clean it?
    A strip mall has separate entrances for separate stores...wtf...
    If they want the mortality rates to drop they need to keep the elderly locked up.

they still have a shitton of capacity there, more than almost any country in the world.
    You overestimate their capacity. Japan, Germany and South Korea all have far bigger capacities than them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    My country has 709 cases total. About half the size of South Korea and less than one-tenth the cases. These numbers are likely to increase of course.

South Korea might have plateaued. We'll have to wait and see.
    They did, there is no wait and see and number of cases without number of tests is completely irrelevant. South Korea got their 8,000 or so cases by testing 300,000+. The reason their cases jumped so quick was not because it was more out of control there but because they where the only ones testing. They are still testing over 20,000 people a day and report very few cases each day, they have absolutely curbed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    I can live with a few people who lack understanding believing they are right at the cost of not having bodies piled up. But you are correct the reason the dramatic and painful situation that is taking place in Italy is not being repeated -yet- elsewhere, is that everyone is slowly and surely taking it more serious, but the US is not there yet look at the springbreakers, or just look at NYC i don't understand see how people like him are downplaying the seriousness of this while there are ships being deployed to aid with medical aid, while states are going on full lock down.

Mind you, i also was part of it is just "a flue crowd" for a long time, till your direct environment starts to change, you have people around you being impacted and so on maybe when his state or town gets impacted. Often it takes a crisis to be in your face to accept the situation.

However people who are simply stating we should just let those likely to die by this die and let "god sort them out to save our economy!" those are simply horrible human beings, i understand for americans that this is different and their view on this is different because they do not have the social security networks in place others have, they do not have regulations in place that forced banks to build reserves after the last bank crisis after being bailed out and the view of some where a corporation survival is more important than that of a person, that just shows something deeply wrong inside America.

Capacity is an issue, belgium is doing find because we have 1900 ICU beds now and capacity for more if i am not mistaken, we accept this is the early stage and have enacted harsh matters and to everyone's surprise most people are listening and staying home if they job is not crucial to logistics, healthcare etc.
    I do look forward to how this will impact US politics for the future. Demonstrating a perfect example of why we need these social safety nets in place for situations like this and how those can be extended for even less severe circumstances.

New York has gone on lockdown along with California today. Unfortunately, those sanctions won't be enforced by law so are essentially no more than "advice". I do admire Gov. Cuomo for his statement regarding taking full responsibility for the decision and so those unhappy with it should blame him and no one else.

- - - Updated - - -

A strip mall has separate entrances for separate stores...wtf...
    If they want the mortality rates to drop they need to keep the elderly locked up.
    So you're just going to ignore all the cases of younger people dying too? And the fact that those cases are increasing as hospitals become overwhelmed?