10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    OVER A QUARTER BILLION MASKS What the fuck is this country doing?!
    *laughs in capitalism*
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    This was a bad attempt to prevent hoarders.
    It really was, because NOW the CDC wants to revisit its stance

I MEAN THEY JUST FUCKING SAID, to cover your face with a scarf when you go out because that provides some protection. After spending literally a month or so lying to Americans.

And it isn't just America it is the entirety of the western world.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Afaik, if you're younger than 30 and with no serious co-morbidities, the chance of a serious illness is exceedengly rare. In fact, wasnt in italy the median age of death like 80 or so?
    1% is fairly rare in reality. Just when you deal with large numbers it doesn't seem that rare anymore.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Technically R0 doesn't change when people become immune, but if you replace R0 by Re above it is true.
    As the effective reproductive number, Re includes the effect of immunity, but initially R0=Re.
    R, or Re, or Rt, but sure.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Home made masks and scarves are better than nothing. If you sneeze in that mask or scarf - at least a good chunk of that shit won't go through. It's already better.

So people should be a dears to each other and do this, if this will prevent at least some infections - job done.
    I mean sure, masks are nice, but i have yet to see somebody cough or look feverish. Unless you work in a hoapital, washing your hands and not touching your face is more likely to save you than wearing a mask. I agree it's better than nothing but save masks foe medical personnel while there is a shortage. If the rest of us stay at home, and are a bit careful be more beneficial.

This was a bad attempt to prevent hoarders.
    Stores could of also limited the amount of Masks they could sell per person.
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

I don't think that any young person with half a clue would like to have his 5 minutes of (posthumous) fame by being the "exceedingly rare".
    I mean, yeah. But you'll have the same chances with food poisoning.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

I MEAN THEY JUST FUCKING SAID, to cover your face with a scarf when you go out because that provides some protection. After spending literally a month or so lying to Americans.
    Be fair. Everyone is still learning about this virus...

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    1% is fairly rare in reality. Just when you deal with large numbers it doesn't seem that rare anymore.
    CFR of people below 30 and w/o co-morbidities is below 1%

Again below 1% =/= 0%

And as you correctly point out, give anything that has a very low chance of happening a big number of iterations, and it will happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Yells in Chilean policies. TBF, we bought one box of masks when all this started and only use them wen we have to buy groceries

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, yeah. But you'll have the same chances with food poisoning.
    Does not mean you have to pile on risks.

Besides, even outside dying - you could end up with serious (and maybe lasting) complications - that's already higher chance there and EVEN if the person will be fine, he/she will still have to be stuck in quarantine and potentially hospital with their parents going anxious - not exactly a fun thing.

People have to realize that this shit is not fun even outside dying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Medical professionals do not use masks that are recommended for population to use. You are not asked to use N95 mask, you are asked to use simpler surgical masks or even home-made masks, so that when people who are unaware they are positive - sneeze, they don't spread their shit all over the place and infect others.
    I mean, medical professionals are absolutely using both, demonstrably. The point is mainly that if people were applying the physical distancing the way they should be, the masks would be largely useless, regardless.

But if there is a surplus of surgical masks and people want to wear them, sure. I worry that people are going to take that as an excuse to ignore the physical distancing guidelines, though. People don't need more of an excuse to be stupid than they already have.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Does not mean you have to pile on risks. Besides, even outside dying - you could end up with serious (and maybe lasting) complications - that's already higher chance there and EVEN if the person will be fine, he/she will still have to be stuck in quarantine and potentially hospital with their parents going anxious - not exactly a fun thing.
    Yeah. You have a point. Piling on things that have a low chance of happening, and eventually something will happen

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    I mean, medical professionals are absolutely using both, demonstrably. The point is mainly that if people were applying the physical distancing the way they should be, the masks would be largely useless, regardless.

But if there is a surplus of surgical masks and people want to wear them, sure. I worry that people are going to take that as an excuse to ignore the physical distancing guidelines, though. People don't need more of an excuse to be stupid than they already have.
    One does not prevent another.

You absolutely can do social distancing AND wear the mask. The thing is, however, that sometimes unfortunately you can't keep the recommended distance simply because you enter a local convenience store or even use public transport, where it's often outright impossible really.

I mean, we aren't living in perfect world where we can keep perfect distance from each other. That's how it is.

Social distancing is, when you have to go outside you keep a distance of at least 5 feet between one another?

15+ Year Old Account
    Clickbait title but the guy just dig through public information in China.

Last edited by Strawberry; 2020-04-01 at 11:11 PM.

Million tomorrow, it seems...

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Putin implemented some new laws in Russia.

If you cause two or more people to get infected and die to coronavirus through deliberate negligence, you can face up to 7 years in jail.

If you spread misinformation about coronavirus, you can face up to 3 years in jail.
    Does that include shutting the fuck up their own troll services who are spreading bullshit in other countries and... in Russia too? Or have they finally woken up to understand that the political games are nice and all, but the virus does not give a shit about whom to infect?

I heard all of it, that USA created the virus, that it is just a flu, all the usual and so very "original" stuff. I know someone in Moscow who tried to repeat me the same crap and has difficulties believing that virus might have come naturally and was not created in some laboratory. I then reminded about Black Death, that kinda did drove the point across.
    Last edited by Easo; 2020-04-01 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Be fair. Everyone is still learning about this virus...
    Asian countries warned the west though about this... South Korea and Taiwan both noted masks... the west simply didn't listen. And we have known about the large droplets since the beginning.

- - - Updated - - -

Social distancing + masks is the way to go...

That's what has worked for the countries with he lowest rates.

And now i will have a nice argument with my parents who let my older brother come (he lives by himself in the same city) here to eat something and have a nice chat, all while they know that he had to file for unemployment in a (albeit semi empty) public office
    Yay.
    Last edited by Thepersona; 2020-04-01 at 11:06 PM.

I mean, even virologists have been in agreement that masks are pretty useless. Study after study of past viruses show that there wasn't a major impact made by masks. A lot of them are still shaking their heads at the new turn toward masks because most of those are citing eastern results, and that the east has immensely embraced masks. But the east has done literally everything differently. China has gone into dystopian, technology-assisted lockdown. South Korea is doing the most innovative testing and preventative measures on the planet. The mask is basically just a convenient out for the west to ignore that it's doing everything wrong.

But it's probably true, even if a mask only lowers your chances of infection by 1%, 1% becomes more significant when you're looking at millions of possible infections. It's not going to be what turns the whole thing around, but it'll bring some numbers down.

One does not prevent another.

You absolutely can do social distancing AND wear the mask. The thing is, however, that sometimes unfortunately you can't keep the recommended distance simply because you enter a local convenience store or even use public transport, where it's often outright impossible really.

I mean, we aren't living in perfect world where we can keep perfect distance from each other. That's how it is.
    Public transports stopped here. Taxis are still running but are sprayed with disinfectant once a client leaves. Small convenience shops dont allow more than 2 or 3 customers in at a time, you cant enter pharmacies and shout your order from the door.
    As for supermarkets you have lines and stop sign stickers every 2 meters to remind you of the distance constantly in case you have the memory of a goldfish

Edit you must wear gloves and use disinfectant gel, as well as cover your face.