The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    that thread is a gigantic circle-jerk of "vote biden"
    I was more pointing out that moderators part :P
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    yeah I worry about my parents, especially my dad. He has heart issues and both parents are overweight and over 60. Luckily they ended up having 100 masks because a friend helped out. I think even if the order is recinded, they'll still be doing all precautions because of their vulnerable status.
    Generally, even if it's just something as pointless as pulling a shirt up over their mouth, people around here have been decent with the "mask in stores" thing. Almost all the people that ignore the rule are older people, which is very irritating.

and yeah, the mask makes my glasses fog up occasionally so that's always fun to drive with. Also made the mistake of leaning close to help a stranger out with locating something in the grocery store. Not doing that again but that was 2 weeks ago so I assume I'm in the clear.
    My glasses fog up whenever I look down, very irritating. Also, don't take a Halls while wearing the mask, the fumes go right to your eyes! The 6' rule is more like a 4' rule, but with masks, but overall not too bad. That said, while I make no claim that I contracted COVID at any point, I'm sure I've been exposed to it several times. No one says anything until much later of course, then you find out a month ago a delivery guy had it and the lifeguards that always came in were infected around the same time frame and that's just specific cases rather than general exposure.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    It is that way on here because it is allowed to continue.

I wore a mask when we went to pickup our grocery order at Walmart. The only person I was close to was the guy bringing the groceries out to our SUV. I had the back rear door open and told him I would close it and stayed 6 feet or more away from him. You never know.

I take extra precautions because of the bad health my wife is in. We have a suggested mask wearing in our state, yet in my opinion, everyone should be wearing one now. Even the employee who brought our groceries out to us. But he wasn't. They are a pain in the ass to wear however. But better than catching what it is helping to prevent.
    most of the masks the public are wearing aren't effective at all, too much space for air to escape (there are many people selling cheap, useless masks and passing them off as the high quality medical ones). the masks medical professionals use are much more effective but only if worn properly, doctors actually have to go through training to get them on correctly, a small gap between the skin and mask can almost completely defeat the point of wearing one at all
    there's also a limited number of masks. medical professionals who are dealing with public in close contact need these masks. people observing social distancing and limiting interaction are at much, much lower risk and so a much lower priority in getting these masks

there's also some research suggesting that wearing masks can a: give people enough of a false sense of security that they may ignore social distancing, wrongly thinking themselves safe and b: increase the amount of times they touch their mouth area, to adjust the mask, without having recently been able to wash their hands and thus increase the chance of catching it

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    except we don't have any cloth to use on hand at home....
    You don't have a t-shirt to layer up? They say flannel works good. Otherwise, there are the head bands that spread out, https://smile.amazon.com/Headbands-W...7344598&sr=8-1

They're pretty sheer, so not the best, but still. (And while I recognize your name in general as a poster, I do not recall any specifics about your situation, so if there's some other qualifier as to the difficulties don't take it personally.

then uhm why is your title still moderator?
    It'll say moderator even if not the moderator of the specific forum/ subforum posted to, and they would only have Power in their own zones.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
    the masks medical professionals use are much more effective but only if worn properly, doctors actually have to go through training to get them on correctly, a small gap between the skin and mask can almost completely defeat the point of wearing one at all
    And N95 masks are hard to breath in, even for doctors, no way to get used to them long term.

there's also some research suggesting that wearing masks can a: give people enough of a false sense of security that they may ignore social distancing, wrongly thinking themselves safe and b: increase the amount of times they touch their mouth area, to adjust the mask, without having recently been able to wash their hands and thus increase the chance of catching it
    Masks are not to prevent you catching it, but to reduce you spreading it. The "touching mouth/nose" to adjust the mask is a concern of course, but with eyes being exposed anyway, it's an open shot.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
    most of the masks the public are wearing aren't effective at all, too much space for air to escape (there are many people selling cheap, useless masks and passing them off as the high quality medical ones). the masks medical professionals use are much more effective but only if worn properly, doctors actually have to go through training to get them on correctly, a small gap between the skin and mask can almost completely defeat the point of wearing one at all
    there's also a limited number of masks. medical professionals who are dealing with public in close contact need these masks. people observing social distancing and limiting interaction are at much, much lower risk and so a much lower priority in getting these masks

For sure, wearing a mask is not a fail proof step to take. Washing your hands and using hand sanitizers, keeping your hands away from your eyes and mouth while out in the public, is among several steps people should be taking. We have many other precautions we take other than wearing a mask. We live out in the country, boondocks is another term many use here. So social distancing is natural with our situation.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    I get that but don't you see this everytime you come here?

- - - Updated - - -

Cause she is still a mod for the sports sections lol :P
    Nope, I don't really pay attention to that, which is why I didn't find out the Trump supporting moderator didn't get removed til at least a week after it happened, only because someone posted about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I kinda feel bad for using surgical as opposed to cloth but like, I got them in January when I had to clean up a sewage backup :s

Also, as if it wasn't bad enough, we had a natural gas fire in the area too lol. Plagues and fires oh my!

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand these protestors.

I get some people who are out of work. I get financial times are hard. I've been there, I get it. Your mindset when it comes to work should always work to live and not live to work. You can't work if the virus runs through your workplace, you get it, someone in your house gets, etc. If you were furloughed it probably means your job cannot efficiently function right now, also there are jobs and resources out there to help us through this.

I can't help to see that a lot of the people protesting are the same ones who opposed proactive measures to deal with a crisis like this. Such as money social programs (food programs, unemployment, hazard pay, worker rights, rent protection), official paid leave, increased access to healthcare whether ACA/M4A/etc, pubic utilities, money towards public health organizations. The same people who scuffed at or took for granted people who are now essential: gas station workers, food industry workers, grocery workers, city/utility workers, postal workers, health/patient care techs, nurses, doctors, first responders.

The jobs that people are clamoring to have 'reopen' for the most part are unhealthy to the current situation. Some of them are disease vectors in the middle of a pandemic. People need to be patient or things will get worse before they can get better.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    I kinda feel bad for using surgical as opposed to cloth but like, I got them in January when I had to clean up a sewage backup :s

Also, as if it wasn't bad enough, we had a natural gas fire in the area too lol. Plagues and fires oh my!
    That sucks. Or how about the tragedy of several people dying while supposedly trying to avoid the virus when the recent huge, powerful tornado rips thru their country side in the South. What a horrible and tragic irony.

I have survived 3 tornado's in my life and the worse ones are the ones which hit while people are sleeping. Not much of a warning. When I was about 8, a tornado picked up a house trailer and pitched it right into the side of a apartment building we where living in. It was at night and even today, I still remember clearly, the sound of that trailer hitting the apartment. No was killed, but several were injured. It hit the side of the building opposite from us.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Why would you feel bad about having surgical masks?

The only people that should feel bad about masks are people that brought boxes and boxes of them to resell at massively inflated prices. They are the scum
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

I am very suspicious about reusing a mask.

If you don't wear one, the virus has to go through your nose. The size of the nose is small.

The size of the mask is huge. It collects virus.
    It is hard to wear a mask for 8 hours.
    You regularly take it down, then put it back on. During that process, you have a chance to push the virus into your own nose.

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    I am very suspicious about reusing a mask.

If you don't wear one, the virus has to go through your nose. The size of the nose is small.

The size of the mask is huge. It collects virus.
    It is hard to wear a mask for 8 hours.
    You regularly take it down, then put it back on. During that process, you have a chance to push the virus into your own nose.
    This post is a little all over the place but ill help you out.

Firstly you are correct in that you need to correctly use the mask and dispose of it otherwise you can still get infected because the virus lingers on items for days potentially.

Not wearing a mask because "nose hole is small" is nonsense. You can also get the virus through the eyes and mouth. Which is quite a large area so its not just limited to your nose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    This post is a little all over the place but ill help you out.

Firstly you are correct in that you need to correctly use the mask and dispose of it otherwise you can still get infected because the virus lingers on items for days potentially.

Not wearing a mask because "nose hole is small" is nonsense. You can also get the virus through the eyes and mouth. Which is quite a large area so its not just limited to your nose.
    So it is also wise to wear sunglasses when out in the public? Then wash them after you get home?

10+ Year Old Account
    So it is also wise to wear sunglasses when out in the public? Then wash them after you get home?
    Sunglasses will do essentially nothing for a virus, since a virus isn't transmitted via UV radiation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Sunglasses will do essentially nothing for a virus, since a virus isn't transmitted via UV radiation.
    Of course not, it's transmitted through 5G signals

Also keep in mind that the purpose of wearing the masks is more to protect others from you since you might not know that you are sick/contagious.

Fun fact: Belarus is way more hardcore about not giving an F about the pandemic than Sweden - even their football league is in full swing with stadiums open for the public.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_c...mic_in_Belarus

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Of course not, it's transmitted through 5G signals
    Well, obviously.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

5+ Year Old Account
    Sunglasses won't do anything, because there is no full coverage. If you're that worried, you should look into a respirator with a face shield. That's a step up from cloth and goggles. I'm sure people who paint or do handiwork are over the moon. Just need filters.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

You can but its not quite the full masks that people treating the virus wear.