Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Prove yourself right.
    He's probably one of those folks calling the virus a Boomer Remover and or taking no precautions whatsoever just because "lol fuck old people".

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    70,000 infected by the end of next week is "all over" to you?
    Are you saying it's not all over the country?
    If nation-wide testing was done, I think we'd see it.
    Or..is this an english variable here, where you're thinking I'm saying "Over and done?" Because that's not what I'm saying here.

- - - Updated - - -

Prove yourself right.
    Don't need to.

not sure if anyone else posted these yet, but in more news about the virus:

Coronavirus: Young people are not ‘invincible’, WHO warns

Young adults under age 44 make up a big part of coronavirus hospitalizations in the US

But it's totally ok, guys, it's just a problem for stupid old people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Are you saying it's not all over the country?
    If nation-wide testing was done, I think we'd see it.
    Or..is this an english variable here, where you're thinking I'm saying "Over and done?" Because that's not what I'm saying here.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't need to.
    Ah, then it was vaguely worded, yes, in that sense it has spread all over by now. My bad.

Ah, then it was vaguely worded, yes, in that sense it has spread all over by now. My bad.
    My apologies...I should have been more clear.

Some ostriches never do get their heads out of the sand.
    I guess they eventually suffocate.

Started ignoring him about, what, 50 pages back after he said he was fine being a spreader if he got infected and continued to handwave arguments afterwards. So how about we all just let him stew in his own ignorance and quarantine him from the rest of the thread with Ignore. At least the thread will move a bit slower and I can keep up with the news here instead of scrolling through blank pages where people were trying to argue with it.

Don't need to.
    Actually, yes, you do. If you put a thesis out there, the burden of evidence lies with you, not with others proving you wrong. And since it's impossible to prove a negative, the entire 'prove me wrong' approach Beggs to be mocked.

Want an example?

I know I cannot prove that, last night, aliens actually did enter your bedroom, tranquilized you, probed your butt, grew offspring there, extracted it and then deleted your memories of that, but you also cannot prove that that didn't happen.

So, if you really want to go with the prove me wrong routine, I just have one question for you: How was your probing?

Actually, yes, you do.
    Maybe you should have read the exchange a bit more closely.

Maybe you should have read the exchange a bit more closely.
    Has nothing to do with the exchange, it's a matter of principle. 'Prove me wrong' is usually a gigantic red flag that the person has no idea what they are talking about. I absolutely agree with what you said, but still, 'prove me wrong' is usually an incredibly ignorant thing to say.

Has nothing to do with the exchange, it's a matter of principle. 'Prove me wrong' is usually a gigantic red flag that the person has no idea what they are talking about. I absolutely agree with what you said, but still, 'prove me wrong' is usually an incredibly ignorant thing to say.
    I'm guessing you missed the English language bit too.
    Or are you saying I should prove to myself that it's NOT all across the country?
    Pretty sure Stella covered that above.

I got a mild cough but no fever. I still plan on going to work in the morning unless I get a fever in the morning because I need to support my household and pay rent and I don't get paid unless I'm at work.

My job requires me to be around, help and socialize A LOT of random people ( both old and young ) so I'm kind of nervous.
    "I feel bad for Limit , they put in so many hours only to come in second place" - Methodjosh

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poe View Post
    I got a mild cough but no fever. I still plan on going to work in the morning unless I get a fever in the morning because I need to support my household and pay rent and I don't get paid unless I'm at work.

My job requires me to be around, help and socialize A LOT of random people ( both old and young ) so I'm kind of nervous.
    Don't go.

/10chars
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

I'm guessing you missed the English language bit too.
    Or are you saying I should prove to myself that it's NOT all across the country?
    Pretty sure Stella covered that above.
    Since I didn't try to hit the English language and I sure as hell didn't misplace it, how am I supposed to miss it?

No, I am not saying that. I am saying that 'prove me wrong' is a nonsensical thing to say, in any language. You can never, without a shadow of a doubt, prove that anything isn't the case. You can only ever prove things that are. So, if you make a statement about any given fact, the burden lies with you to prove yourself right, not with others proving what you say to be false.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    New York is testing 10,000 per day. Compared to Illinois which is doing 1000 tests a day. They weren't that far ahead, it's really just everywhere.
    reasonable to assume a given average % real infection rate nationwide with some regional variation for various reasons. I see now reason why parts of the US should not be at or over 2% infected by now.

comparing confirmed tests is such a poor stat to use. one state tests 10k/day, another state tests 1k a day. guess which state has more confirmed cases? it is meaningless to use it for such comparisons.

I do find the louisiana numbers interesting because the state is testing apparently serious cases and getting a 40% positive rate. this is not a high population state but it is putting up some high per-capita positive numbers relative to other states.. not enough info at all to tell if there is a methodology bias (meaning they actually test people that are sick in the hospital effectively) or there is a further advanced outbreak in the area - not unreasonable given mardi gras.
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2020-03-21 at 01:33 AM.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Don't go.

/10chars
    I don't want to risk me actually having CV and getting other people at work sick (or god forbid a client/customer). But I also don't want to risk missing out on money that could be used to support my family and pay rent when I didn't even have CV

Such a tough choice man.
    "I feel bad for Limit , they put in so many hours only to come in second place" - Methodjosh

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't want to risk me actually having CV and getting other people at work sick (or god forbid a client/customer). But I also don't want to risk missing out on money that could be used to support my family and pay rent when I didn't even have CV

Such a tough choice man.
    and this choice is being made all over the world right now. it is part of the reason governments have to force things to close - people have bills and need money and they decide to keep working even with worse symptoms than you have. all you can do is be honest with yourself, understand you may? be exposing people, but aren't sure, and cannot do much to be sure at this point.

down the road on-demand testing for the general public will be possible, but that won't help you today.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Such a tough choice man.
    You're forgetting the third option. You get CV, come home, and give it to the family you're trying to support.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    You're forgetting the third option. You get CV, come home, and give it to the family you're trying to support.
    that risk should be factored in already (hopefully). I am actually moving tomorrow over this same issue in order to keep working in a less favorable market but in a setup i can live alone.

nasty set of choices all around. easy to tell him there is a right way but who pays the bills over what may just be a cold?

Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    that risk should be factored in already (hopefully). I am actually moving tomorrow over this same issue in order to keep working in a less favorable market but in a setup i can live alone.

nasty set of choices all around. easy to tell him there is a right way but who pays the bills over what may just be a cold?
    Not everyone is factoring that in. Too many people think it won't happen to them, or that it won't be that bad if they get it, and they won't spread it because of reasons. Too many people still think it's just a regular flu.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Not everyone is factoring that in. Too many people think it won't happen to them, or that it won't be that bad if they get it, and they won't spread it because of reasons. Too many people still think it's just a regular flu.
    Poe is obviously thinking, based on his post. I assume the home infection angle factored in (he may chime in). perhaps he hasn't worked through the grim list of outcome sets no matter what he does.

other folks are living in normalcy bias land and willful disbelief of a very grim reality. you support a family and now have a list of terrible choices. risk contagion for them now to get set up to close the doors, or quit work early but have to go out for food in a month in a much more contagious world, or??

I model southern louisiana at possibly up to 2% general infection rate in the population. everytime i am in a grocery store, for example, I have to assume a couple of people there have it and may well be contagious.

Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    Poe is obviously thinking, based on his post. I assume the home infection angle factored in (he may chime in). perhaps he hasn't worked through the grim list of outcome sets no matter what he does.

other folks are living in normalcy bias land and willful disbelief of a very grim reality. you support a family and now have a list of terrible choices. risk contagion for them now to get set up to close the doors, or quit work early but have to go out for food in a month in a much more contagious world, or??

I model southern louisiana at possibly up to 2% general infection rate in the population. everytime i am in a grocery store, for example, I have to assume a couple of people there have it and may well be contagious.
    His post listed 2 possible options

A) that he has the virus and risks infecting others if he goes to work
    B) that he stays home and misses out on income and later learns he wasn't infected after all

I was just listing a third option..that he doesn't have the virus yet...but he could pick it up and transmit it to his family.

It's still his choice...and I'm not saying it's an easy one to make...but that third factor needs to be considered at least as much as the first 2.