Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

How will wow survive content drought without sandbox

Back in mists we had a great sandbox known as timeless isle which helped with the content drought, as it was slow to grind back in the day (alone)

Now that we don’t have any sandbox with visions of nzoth patch, only instanced content, this drought will be even worse to play through, the instanced content it already being cleared. Thoughts?

but..

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...-in-wow-heaven

8.3 is the best sandbox ever made! Literally WoW heaven!!

/s

Just thought it was funny these 2 threads are on the same page.

This drought is gonna be far worse than WoD unless they give us a patch a few months into the tier (4-5 months)

I plan to just level my allied race toons and unlock all the heritage armor as long as I can continue having fun doing so. If I get bored, I'll unsub, but $15 a month is no skin off my nose. I spend more at Chipotle sometimes ($9 burritos wtf.) $15 a month for leisure entertainment at my disposal is still cheaper than going to the movies at night.

Are you new here OP. Been content droughts since the game launched and it survived.

It will survive, but oh boy it will take a massive hit in subs.

Quote Originally Posted by Savant View Post
    Back in mists we had a great sandbox known as timeless isle which helped with the content drought, as it was slow to grind back in the day (alone)

Now that we don’t have any sandbox with visions of nzoth patch, only instanced content, this drought will be even worse to play through, the instanced content it already being cleared. Thoughts?
    I mean, Uldum and vale are now giant sandbox content zones with rares, treasures, mount drops etc. I am confused.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    Most people on the internet nowadays need a good spank.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Classic. *evil laugh*
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    It won't survive. WoW has currently 31 subs (at least I know that many) and they all declared they'll quit (they think it's insulting that one of 8.3 sandbox zones is full of sand).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elyiandris View Post
    It will survive, but oh boy it will take a massive hit in subs.
    They know that. They provide incentives to stay but on the whole they understand what's going to happen and are fine with it. Taking a break from the game for a few months may be one reason why they tend to do so well with expansion sales. People return for a lot of new content after a few months break. In any case, it's extremely naive to think that they do not understand this and have factored that into their budgets.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Imurbandaid View Post
    I mean, Uldum and vale are now giant sandbox content zones with rares, treasures, mount drops etc. I am confused.
    This too is true.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

This has been a normal thing since WoW launched, and the remedy blizzard gives you? Start an alt and grind the same stuff again.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaith View Post
    This drought is gonna be far worse than WoD unless they give us a patch a few months into the tier (4-5 months)
    how the heck can this drought be worse than wod??HOW??you have m+,the assaults,horific visions,the uldum and vale zones are better than taanan,heroic warfront,pet battle dungeons if your in to that,alied races and new dk's to level,and no,im not saying all of this is some amazing and mind blowingly fun content,but how is it worse than wod that had far far less

Quote Originally Posted by Imurbandaid View Post
    Its reused content, a new sandbox like nyalotha or something like that was in my mind

They don't have to. There's a whole library of other good games to play, its the perfect time to play them in droughs like these.

I've already unsubscribed. Only the second time I've done so since first getting the game a month after release.

Worse, nothing about Shadowlands is really jumping out at me. Quite the opposite; it actively looks repellent in just about every way worth mentioning.

I always rationalized my subscription as "well, I've been with the game this long, I might as well see how it all ends." But even that rationale is no longer working.

They really fucked the pooch.

How did the playerbase survive when Cataclysm added one zone in 4.2, and Wrath added sweet fuck all in terms of world content except a daily hub through the entire xpack? They did dungeons, raids and PvP, same thing we've been doing for 15 years. I doubt very many people sub to gather 20 bear asses for a year.

Personally, I'll play other games. Doom Eternal is coming in two months, and I have a yuge backlog of other games to play as well.

Even with a sandbox option - BFA is not tolerable because the class design is a disaster along with never ending RNG for gear.

The only expansion to have actually somewhat countered expansion drought was Legion, it did this by spreading content wide, meaning that you had to play a decent chunk of the game 12 times to get the full experience, this coupled with the mage tower being needed by easy 7.3 gear extended the shelf life of the patch by an easy 2 months.

That being said though, I do not actually think that ended up being healthy for the game. I got a definite feeling from the beginning of BfA that players were already burnt out.
    Expansion drought like WoW has are healthy for the game methinks.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Like it will survive everything else people randomly thinks would kill it for some poorly thought out reason.

Timeless Isle sucked. It was just logging in once a day to sit around and wait for Huolon to spawn, then logging out for the day when the mount didn't drop.