Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Returning after 7+ years

Hi all,

I'm going to be coming back to play casually after a long hiatus. When i used to play back in Wotlk/Cata i raided quite often and fell off around early MoP. i used to have most classes at max level in Cata, but since so much has changed im considering starting over entirely.

What do you all suggest? it is worth it to start again or should i just jump into an existing character and learn as i go? I dont plan on doing more than LFR in BFA, probably the same in Shadowlands when it comes out.

Thanks all!

10+ Year Old Account
    This is probably the worst place to ask, just wait and see. Doomsayers will be here any minute.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

I would make a new character. Just to get a feel of everything again. Now is the time to have a fresh start.

edit: and yeah... there will be doomsayers. A lot of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is the internet! Some things never change. I know how to ignore the negativity! Thanks guys

10+ Year Old Account
    Lighthalzen, the City-State of Prosperity
    keep your memories and gtfo. 100% better than what you get on live.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Problems View Post
    Hi all,

I'm going to be coming back to play casually after a long hiatus. When i used to play back in Wotlk/Cata i raided quite often and fell off around early MoP. i used to have most classes at max level in Cata, but since so much has changed im considering starting over entirely.

What do you all suggest? it is worth it to start again or should i just jump into an existing character and learn as i go? I dont plan on doing more than LFR in BFA, probably the same in Shadowlands when it comes out.

Thanks all!
    There's a few specs which are vastly different these days (Survival Hunter, Demonology for example) but the fundamentals of most of them remain in place. I'd recommend thinking on which ones you enjoyed the most in Cata/MoP and picking those back up, to see if they still click for you.

If your Chars are already level 85 then you are good to go. MoP, WoD, Legion and BfA are pretty fun to level in (for the first time). At max level there is enough to explore for a few months. Whether the game can motivate you to play longer than that is up to you.

But, if you want to start a new character, I would recommend to wait for the level squish with SL. Old zones that you already know are not nearly as fun, as you character will most likely feel pretty weak compared to your Cata days, as classes lost a ton of abilities since then. Scaling is fun and all, but that doesn't make old content more interesting imo. Also WotLK and TBC zones are not fun to level in. They are just too old by comparison, so at level 60 you will hit a wall, that may discourage you to level further.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    This is probably the worst place to ask, just wait and see. Doomsayers will be here any minute.
    For sure. This place is second only to the official forums in terms of 'angry posts about WoW by angry gamers that can't move on with their lives'.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by froschhure View Post
    keep your memories and gtfo. 100% better than what you get on live.
    Case in point.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2020-01-28 at 03:49 PM.

I would just continue with existing characters you will spend some time lvl them from 85 to 120 so you will get hang of them by the time you reach max lvl.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol didnt take long!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabakaga View Post
    I would just continue with existing characters you will spend some time lvl them from 85 to 120 so you will get hang of them by the time you reach max lvl.
    Good advice.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's what i was fearing, i appreciate the heads up.

I used to main DK, but i think i might try a pure DPS role for a change. How bad are the queues for LFR? id likely be playing on the weekends and dont want to wait an hour just for it to pop. PVP could always be an option too

Better wait for Shadowlands with the new leveling rework.

No reason to come back now. Wait a bit for the next expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is the internet! Some things never change. I know how to ignore the negativity! Thanks guys
    So you'll just listen to the people mindlessly defending the game?

But for real.. We can't tell you if you'd have fun. The only way to find out is to try.
    I'm currently not subbed because I don't like how the classes play, so I'd probably recommend not subbing, but different strokes for different people.

That's what i was fearing, i appreciate the heads up.

I used to main DK, but i think i might try a pure DPS role for a change. How bad are the queues for LFR? id likely be playing on the weekends and dont want to wait an hour just for it to pop. PVP could always be an option too
    If you're a pure dps, queues are typically 20 minutes to half an hour, depending on time of day. If you can, I'd suggest pugging normal. Premade group finder has made that far easier than it used to be, and LFR is the worst time spent/gear acquired ratio in the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    So you'll just listen to the people mindlessly defending the game?

But for real.. We can't tell you if you'd have fun. The only way to find out is to try.
    I'm currently not subbed because I don't like how the classes play, so I'd probably recommend not subbing, but different strokes for different people.
    Haha no, its more knowing when to tell that someone is just being negative for the sake of it. At least you gave a reason for not being subbed.

Honestly i dont know if ill enjoy it still, since its been so long. That's the risk I'm taking!

Hi all,

Thanks all!
    Truthfully, I suggest waiting a bit longer before returning. Maybe another 2-3 months, especially if you only plan on doing LFR until Shadowlands. The majority of the grinds in the game is very tedious compared to WotLK or Cata. Waiting until later just means you won't burn yourself out or turn yourself off before Shadowlands.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    No reason to come back now. Wait a bit for the next expansion.
    End of expansion catch up has it's own charme imho, you get powerful gear and can probably do even the higher end difficulties of the previous expansion on your own. Also also have access to everything of the current expansion and can pretty much pick and choose what you want to do if you are done with the current-must-haves.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Honestly the game is not bad but if you wait until Shadowlands you'll be able to level in any content and have fewer levels... not to mention the squish will not be jarring if you wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.