Page 1 of 2
LastLast

If you had technopathic powers, would you use them in online games?

Technopathy as defined by this page on Superpower Wiki: https://powerlisting.fandom.com/wiki...y_Manipulation

To answer my own question, hellz yeah!

I'd make WoW Retail my submissive slave! Ah, revenge!!

- No more RNG; if I want a rare mount, I get it.
    - All gear that drops that can have a gem slot will have a gem slot.
    - I could be my own raid team. Create 20 accounts and go to town. Staying away from world firsts though; I personally wouldn't want the attention, as nineteen of my "team mates" don't actually exist LOL.
    - For pure funzies, recreate the Corrupted Blood plague.
    - Undo the (pointless and idiotic) censorship on Chinese servers.

Overwatch, CS:GO, and players of similar MMOFPS games would accuse you of aim-botting. But there would be no evidence.

Microtransactions would be defeated. Technopathy would allow you to fake purchasing them, and also let you choose what you want out of lootboxes. Again, goodbye RNG!

In MOBAs, you could be your own team. Playing and reacting with hive-mind-like reflexes.

Mobile games would be fun to abuse. So many choices.

Seriously, I think it would be heaps of fun. Maybe not forever, but definitely in the short-term. No amount of IP-tracing or government-spook-level firewalls would be able to stop you!

I’d become mayor of New York and drive away my “gay in denial” bodyguard.

Uh dude if I had technopatic powers as described there, I would rule the world, not just an online game

10+ Year Old Account
    I would be having way to much fun in the real world with power like that to ever want to play video games again.

Quote Originally Posted by xChurch View Post
    way too much fun in the real world with power like that
    So true. The applications are nigh-limitless.

- Delete all alleged spy software like Echelon and Prism.
    - Shutdown social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc) for a single day, and watch what happens.
    - Delete Trump's Twitter account and make it so he can never sign up again.
    - Spam China with everything they would normally censor.
    - Email the state secrets of the US, China, and Russia (the three original and so-called superpowers) to every news agency in the world.
    - Make ATMs go berserk and spit out money like they're set to rapid-fire.
    - Broadcast the banned Pokemon episode featuring Porygon in Japan.
    - Broadcast Rocketman to countries that banned it for the same-sex sex scene(s).
    - Email Trump's tax records to every news agency in the world.

All of that is a mere sample of what a technopath could do. The idea is just so deliciously tantalizing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would hop on a plane to Japan and absolutely wreck some pachinko.
    Government Affiliated Snark

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm an old P&P rpg type. If I had the level of technopathy to pull it off, I'd be dreaming my own VR game.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Why? Where's the fun in cheating in online games? It's just sad and pathetic when hackers do it, this would be just as bad.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    i'm not sure i understand what this kind of power does even after reading the description....
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

When Diablo I was current content in the mid 1990s, the entire game was client-side so it sat on your computer. People would hack their character file and make themselves gods, or give themselves godly gear to one-shot anything. They would enter the game, run down to Diablo and kill him in 5 minutes. Then they would look around and say "this game sucks! I'm bored. I quit!".

This led to public outcry in the gamer community. Gamers begged devs to create games that protected themselves from this exact behavior. So the client-server model was born. Now chars were stored on company servers. People started trying to hack it anyway. Anti-cheat protections were installed. They ran program like RustStorm and Warden to try to stop them. Eventually, they settled on "ban waves", where they allowed people to hack and cheat to build up data on what they were doing and who was doing it. Then they would ban them all.

It still continues. You can hack things. Get caught. Get banned and start over.

But getting back to the point. You would get bored fast.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Xorzor View Post
    Technopathy as defined by this page on Superpower Wiki: https://powerlisting.fandom.com/wiki...y_Manipulation

- I could be my own raid team. Create 20 accounts and go to town. Staying away from world firsts though; I personally wouldn't want the attention, as nineteen of my "team mates" don't actually exist LOL.

Overwatch, CS:GO, and players of similar MMOFPS games would accuse you of aim-botting. But there would be no evidence.

Microtransactions would be defeated. Technopathy would allow you to fake purchasing them, and also let you choose what you want out of lootboxes. Again, goodbye RNG!

In MOBAs, you could be your own team. Playing and reacting with hive-mind-like reflexes.

Seriously, I think it would be heaps of fun. Maybe not forever, but definitely in the short-term. No amount of IP-tracing or government-spook-level firewalls would be able to stop you!
    If you have technopathy and all you can think to do with it is to cheat at video games...I feel really bad for you.

With technopathy...real life becomes your video game.

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Yeah don't let anyone give you any sort of power over other people
    I never said I would use them to harm others. All I'm saying is that I'd enjoy using them.

Quote Originally Posted by xChurch View Post
    I would be having way to much fun in the real world with power like that to ever want to play video games again.
    Yup, definitely that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    I would hop on a plane to Japan and absolutely wreck some pachinko.
    Why not try your hand at something that actually pays off? Your average slot machine at least takes damn quarters, why would you try to make profits in the 1 yen/cent region ?
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Cheat at games constantly? that would probably be boring.
    I'd probably use it both selfishly and selflessly in more important matters. Perhaps taking money from criminals and immoral businesses (my own judgement), and giving it to programs/charity that I think are beneficial to society. And also take care of myself Other than trying to make the world better, I would also grant myself power, freedom and resources. So not exactly a hero, at best a hypocritical Robin Hood!
    Mother pus bucket!

I guess I could run my own mythic team.

But the real life potential of such an ability is much greater.

Rule the world by tricking everyone into playing an immersive VR experience that traps them in my digital realm.

That's right, I'm the villain from Spy Kids 3D.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Manipulate the banking industry. Give out millions to those that need it.

I would use them in online games. But mostly I would just use them to live comfortably and out of sight.

Yeah, I'm on team "If I had superpowers, I'd have better things to do than play online games".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xorzor View Post

I wouldn't really be playing many video games. I'd likely keep my bank account full, and travel the world.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.