Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    They should just let computers drive the cars this year. Afterall covid-19 is not a computer virus.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiwack View Post
    They should just let computers drive the cars this year. Afterall covid-19 is not a computer virus.
    but what if it mutates???

Quote Originally Posted by WorcesterSauce View Post
    Nobody knows. Mutation of a virus doesn't necessarily mean it will get worse. Some viruses mutate and become for a lack of better term benign to the point it can't harm. Of course, it could mutate the other way and have a higher fatality rate.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...O6T0MGoO7.html

Aussie GP is now officially cancelled after earlier reports.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WorcesterSauce View Post
    And becomes sentient and creates terminators?!
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

10+ Year Old Account
    Bahrain and Vietnam have now been postponed. and they expect that the 2020 season will start at the end of May.

15+ Year Old Account
    But the start of the season is where Hamilton drops points....easiest WDC ever now

Are teams even allowed to do anything between now and the new first race to the cars for upgrades? I mean as much as I dislike Ferrari with Italy on lockdown it's not like they can do much work with half their team outside the country. Same for Alpha Tauri (Seriously can we just call them Torro Rosso?)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    -snip-
    *IF this season happens

- I really hope Williams makes a comeback this year, it is rough to constantly see them getting smashed with their past history.
    - I would really like this season not to get decimated so that Hamilton can have his 7th title and not have to face the whole "it wasnt a real season lol" stupidity.
    - Racing Point copying merc is annoying and a strike against the reason F1 is the top sport. Yes some copying happens but this is just too blatant.
    - I want to see the difference the DAS brings to the field and if its successful watch the freak out happen till mid season.

forgot to add:
    - why in hell did Drive to Survive 2 not have Vettels montreal blow out. I was looking forward to that and it looks like they came under the thumb of ferrari to keep quiet about it.
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

Ok I have an idea on how we can have the races prior to the European part. Why not have all the drivers on a private F1 2019 server and have them e-race the first 4.

Racing point copying Merc is actually reminding me of how Sauber used to basically look at the Ferrari car, paint it their colour and be like "Job done." back in the day

10+ Year Old Account
    Teams have agreed that the 2021 rules will be moved to 2022 instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Monaco cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Ok I have an idea on how we can have the races prior to the European part. Why not have all the drivers on a private F1 2019 server and have them e-race the first 4.

Racing point copying Merc is actually reminding me of how Sauber used to basically look at the Ferrari car, paint it their colour and be like "Job done." back in the day
    Problem with F1 2019 is that it's just a video game, it doesn't have the functionality to run a proper race event (as say Rfactor 2 or iRacing does) and it's extremely unrealistic and watered down for casual gamer fans to be able to actually play. These game events are nothing more than a bit of fun for drivers like Max and Lando who already stream iRacing on a weekly basis, and not racing drivers who don't play video games.

I have no idea what they are going to do to salvage this season, it will probably have to be the shortest season in decades with a load of cancelled events.

Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    *IF this season happens

- Racing Point copying merc is annoying and a strike against the reason F1 is the top sport. Yes some copying happens but this is just too blatant.
    I disagree, it's more evidence that cost caps need to be in place. You can be annoyed at it in theory, but the actual result of them copying the Merc from photos will mean they will be more competitive, and the biggest issue with F1 teams is that the lesser funded teams can't be competitive because the big teams outspend them several times over... Teams copying the top teams will make for more competitive racing, more chances for lower teams to get on the podium, more chances for drivers to show their talent.

Yeah it's against the whole build your own car and develop the concept, but the top teams are years ahead in development time and the lower teams will never catch up, they will never even be close to catching up.. So I'm happy Racing Point did it, I hope other teams do for next year before the new regs come in.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2020-03-20 at 07:36 PM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Problem with F1 2019 is that it's just a video game, it doesn't have the functionality to run a proper race event (as say Rfactor 2 or iRacing does) and it's extremely unrealistic and watered down for casual gamer fans to be able to actually play. These game events are nothing more than a bit of fun for drivers like Max and Lando who already stream iRacing on a weekly basis, and not racing drivers who don't play video games.
    Should have made it more obvious I was joking in that post

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Should have made it more obvious I was joking in that post
    Not that obvious, seen lots of people talking about that very thing quite seriously, and these races online are actually taking place.

10+ Year Old Account

I have no idea what they are going to do to salvage this season, it will probably have to be the shortest season in decades with a load of cancelled events.

I disagree, it's more evidence that cost caps need to be in place. You can be annoyed at it in theory, but the actual result of them copying the Merc from photos will mean they will be more competitive, and the biggest issue with F1 teams is that the lesser funded teams can't be competitive because the big teams outspend them several times over... Teams copying the top teams will make for more competitive racing, more chances for lower teams to get on the podium, more chances for drivers to show their talent.

Yeah it's against the whole build your own car and develop the concept, but the top teams are years ahead in development time and the lower teams will never catch up, they will never even be close to catching up.. So I'm happy Racing Point did it, I hope other teams do for next year before the new regs come in.
    to me its a dilution. The cost cap issue has been known forever and they are taking measures against it next year. Racing Point openly copying doesnt just say "cost cap is an issue" It also says "we suck at making a competitive car so we will just copy".

I have watched formula 1 since schumacher defending his title in 1995 and there are two defining points of this sport vs any other. 1. Formula 1 drivers truly mean it when they say "they gave it their all" because they put their safety on the line to win. 2. The sport is very much about "get good or get out". Now point 2 falls partially in favor of what Racing Point did but it also causes a massive problem which will have huge ramifactions. Racing Point drivers will have a car that is now worthy of facing the top 3 as evidenced by their times in pre-season. But can anyone honestly say that Stroll and Perez will challenge the likes of LeClerc, Hamilton, Verstappen, Vettel, Albon and Bottas? They will once again be stuck in the midfield and be a repeat of McLaren from the 2013 season. All it will leave them with is the added burden of "oh we have the car but we still dont have the strength to get the numbers from it".

The only good reason for such a copy is if it came at a bargain price and they are using the savings to focus on the upcoming new car for the new regulations to bring out a real show stopper.
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    Stroll and Perez will challenge the likes of LeClerc, Hamilton, Verstappen, Vettel, Albon and Bottas? They will once again be stuck in the midfield and be a repeat of McLaren from the 2013 season. All it will leave them with is the added burden of "oh we have the car but we still dont have the strength to get the numbers from it".

The only good reason for such a copy is if it came at a bargain price and they are using the savings to focus on the upcoming new car for the new regulations to bring out a real show stopper.
    Stroll no, Perez absolutely. Perez has been putting midfield cars on the podium his whole career and it's not by accident, if he had a good car he'd be an exciting driver to watch, he had the one bad year in Mclaren 2013 but the car was a dog so it's not really that relevant. Let's not forget that Hamilton had a crap year in 2011 too and people were questioning whether the hype was oversold, now look at Hamilton on the verge of surpassing Schumacher's stats.

And of course Racing Point aren't going to come out with a winner in 2022, they don't have the facilities or the funds to develop a concept to that level so it doesn't matter if they start working on it now, they binned their old evolutionary concept and copied Mercedes, but they will never be able to develop it at the same rate. The Mercedes still has some underlying elements in their concept dating as far back as Brawn/2010 Merc, they have been developing that concept for a decade now. Example was the overheating tyres, it was an underlying problem with the chassis concept when Michael was driving for them and while they've massively improved on that weakness it was still something they had issues with in 2019, a decade's worth of research and development on a concept.

The Force India team was always really good at making a good car out of limited cash, but they are now running on the Mercedes concept that they don't have the understanding or data for so maybe they have half a season worth of podium potential before they fall behind, but the alternative was they kept working on their own concept, be slow for the entire season and still get out developed.

Is Perez as good as Hamilton/Verstappen? Probably not, but Albon and Bottas? I think so.

Not that obvious, seen lots of people talking about that very thing quite seriously, and these races online are actually taking place.
    Wait a sec...are you telling me that there are people that actually take online racing seriously?

Just kidding. Remember when me and you had a little "discussion" on that a few years ago? Hope you and your family are healthy, and that we can see some cars on track soon, virtual or real.

Stroll no, Perez absolutely. Perez has been putting midfield cars on the podium his whole career and it's not by accident, if he had a good car he'd be an exciting driver to watch, he had the one bad year in Mclaren 2013 but the car was a dog so it's not really that relevant. Let's not forget that Hamilton had a crap year in 2011 too and people were questioning whether the hype was oversold, now look at Hamilton on the verge of surpassing Schumacher's stats.

And of course Racing Point aren't going to come out with a winner in 2022, they don't have the facilities or the funds to develop a concept to that level so it doesn't matter if they start working on it now, they binned their old evolutionary concept and copied Mercedes, but they will never be able to develop it at the same rate. The Mercedes still has some underlying elements in their concept dating as far back as Brawn/2010 Merc, they have been developing that concept for a decade now. Example was the overheating tyres, it was an underlying problem with the chassis concept when Michael was driving for them and while they've massively improved on that weakness it was still something they had issues with in 2019, a decade's worth of research and development on a concept.

The Force India team was always really good at making a good car out of limited cash, but they are now running on the Mercedes concept that they don't have the understanding or data for so maybe they have half a season worth of podium potential before they fall behind, but the alternative was they kept working on their own concept, be slow for the entire season and still get out developed.

Is Perez as good as Hamilton/Verstappen? Probably not, but Albon and Bottas? I think so.
    I'd put Perez with Nico Rosberg, where if in a good car he'd normally be over shadowed but if the stars align he could be champion. Just like with Nico.

10+ Year Old Account

I dont disagree with some of the points but Perez though...I dont know...I had high hopes for him but he let me down huge in Singapore, proving that he definitely cannot perform under pressure. His driving style only excels for tracks that suit him, which would be fine for challenging people in the mid but at the top I dont know he doesnt seem to have the cold hearted winning technicality that Bottas has. Albon too early to tell. But Bottas has definitely proven that if not for team order decisions he can take the fight to hamilton when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Merkava View Post
    Wait a sec...are you telling me that there are people that actually take online racing seriously?

Just kidding. Remember when me and you had a little "discussion" on that a few years ago? Hope you and your family are healthy, and that we can see some cars on track soon, virtual or real.
    I'm all for virtual racing, as you know.. But there are limits to that enthusiasm, I'm not interested in watching a virtual GP on F1 2019, let alone some of the suggestions I've seen on Reddit about it replacing the missing races in the points standings. I think it was tonight they have the Virtual Bahrain GP, only a few current F1 drivers actually taking part though along with some youtubers, like Jimmy Broadbent who by racing driver standards he's a mobile chicane.

I mean it's just a thing for fun so that's cool, but gah I mean who is going to watch it other than the people who already watch Max/Lando stream every week. I really can't wait for this virus to be over with so we can go racing. I don't have great hopes, the UK's response to "self isolate" has basically boiled down to not going to work and treating it like a beach holiday, apparently all the tourist sites and beaches are extremely busy...

Meanwhile I've been sat in my house like a damn hermit going literally batshit crazy.