Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Arcane Explosion is absolutely broken in classic PvP

Idk if this happened in real Vanilla, but there is a big problem as it seems with new PvP "meta" since Mages in BGs, which make a big part of every BG instance (since Mage pop is overboard in general), nearly never cast anything except doing just one thing: insta spam Arcane Explosion.

This is a very problematic issue, cause, unlike with Fire or Frost, there is hardly any Arcane resistance items in the game. For example, there is no Engineering reflector for Arcane spells (unlike for Frost, Fire or Shadow), there is no Paladin aura vs. Arcane magic, etc. Only 2 potions, and that's all.

It is even harder to deal with multiple Mages spamming Arc Explosion since it's instant cast, so there is little you can do. At the moment, honestly, I don't think how a BG group can counteract vs Mages heavy enemy team focused on Arc Explosion spam. Its becoming bigger and bigger issue, Ive seen number of games lost just because of this stupid ability.

Anyone can advise a way to counteract the stupid 1-button spam ability except the pots? What could be done to fight that plague in BGs? I would welcome any ideas, because this is indeed very irritating to face game after game, especially playing a Paladin.
    Last edited by Ermelloth; 2020-01-30 at 10:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No changes
    im cool pls respodn

Yeah... My Mage friend, a few months ago he was so proud that he killed a paladin with only arcane explosion.

he yelled on discord "I KILLED HIM WITH ARCANE EXPLOSION". It was funny the way he said it, but yeah I do get what you mean.

Now it's an inside joke, every time someone kills or gets killed with arcane explosion yells on discord "ARCANE EXPLOSION".
    Edit Signature.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't ask about changes, I asked about a way to deal with that with legit in-game means.

What can be done / how BG should be played in order to deal with Mages crowd spamming Arc Explosion? Items / etc / strategy

10+ Year Old Account
    Get another Mage to silence them

Here is a list of counters against Mages

Silence
    Polymorph
    Stun
    Sap
    Scatter Shot
    Fear
    Any goddam CC
    Hitting them
    Have a couple warriors charge and 2 shot them
    Moving aggressively towards them
    Looking in their general direction

Classic Mages are glass cannons. If you let them cast, you have only yourself to blame.

spread out your group. 2 mages aoe spamming down 1 target at a time isnt efficient at all.

Yes, this happened in Vanilla aswell. A buddy of mine usually ran a premade WSG group of 10 mages. All communicating on Ventrilo or Teamspeak, so they didn't blow more than one Frost Nova at the time etc. Won pretty much every BG there was. Spamming Arc Explosions and laughing.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Oishi View Post
    Have you tried updating to the latest version of the game?
    Haha, that's pure gold!

Quote Originally Posted by Ermelloth View Post
    I didn't ask about changes
    "Idk if this happened in real Vanilla"

Strange.

15+ Year Old Account
    It was also like that in TBC when mages could move a wall forward in a turtle AV.
    The most persecuted minority is the individual.

Yes this happened in Vanilla.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Misuteri View Post
    It was also like that in TBC when mages could move a wall forward in a turtle AV.
    Seed of Corruption was so much better for that in TBC. Just recounting personal experiences, and I wasn't playing lock myself; just could see when the seeds popped because their lines would melt.

Just sayin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

you didn't want changes, that's exactly what you got enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    you didn't want changes, that's exactly what you got enjoy!
    i think the people who resay this line everyday are outweighing the original 'no changes"crowd with like a million to 1

I didn't ask about changes, I asked about a way to deal with that with legit in-game means.

What can be done / how BG should be played in order to deal with Mages crowd spamming Arc Explosion? Items / etc / strategy
    honestly mages are made of paper in vanilla.. if you are having problem with a mage spamming arcane explosion.. hit him? I have a biased opinion on this because my vanilla main was a shaman playing enhance in pvp so it basically 1 shot every mage never had this problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have a problem with 1 Mage spamming Arc Explosion, but with 5-10 of them doing this simultaneously.

Take a game for example: you're on Drek, everything is cleared, you're about to win. Somehow 5-6 Mages make way to a room, before you can get them (ice barriers do hold some seconds), they Arc Explosion your entire group, GG.

This(

Take a game for example: you're on Drek, everything is cleared, you're about to win. Somehow 5-6 Mages make way to a room, before you can get them (ice barriers do hold some seconds), they Arc Explosion your entire group, GG.
    how were they able to just run into 20+ players with anyone trying to prevent them from getting there?

Get Warriors / Melees to kill the mage - they're damn squishy and Warriors can usually tank a lot more AE's due to high healthpool.

I don't have a problem with 1 Mage spamming Arc Explosion, but with 5-10 of them doing this simultaneously.

Then don't run in while being stacked up?
    Or just use some offensive cd's to blow them out of the water.

If you walk in there with 20 people stacked up, you obviously get mowed down because you act like 20 npc's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Y, they die in few sec, but still manage to do huge amount of damage, since its instant cast. Don't forget blink mate, it's hard to completely prevent Mages to enter anything, especially when so few people play Hunter.