I was reading an article on the Saints cap situation. Going to be really interesting to see what they end up doing. They’re going to be 100 million over. Brees, even if he retires, counts for 22 million. Taysom is at 16 million and he might not even be a starting QB.

They’ll have to get creative to get down under the cap and that’s before they start signing FA’s and draft picks.

They will either need to use 2021 as a cap reset year or restructure contracts. There are ways to magically create cap room if they want to keep dealing with it in the future.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    One interesting watch for the Saints will be what they do with Kamara going forward. You know how RBs tend to age, and now that their window is closed they may decide to jettison his money.

Since we know the real albatross is the contract they gave Gadget QB Taysom Hill but Payton likes him too much to jettison him.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Thomas is prepping for multiple ankle surgeries, he was never close to 100% this year.

Saints cap situation has been talked about plenty, they made some obvious short-term investments, like Kwon Alexander, who we really missed after his injury.
    There's a couple guys on their year 5 options that can lower their hits with extensions. The team had good depth in the front 7 and won't be able to maintain that, DLine is gonna lose people for sure. Hendrickson had 12.5 sacks and that is gonna get him paid somewhere, Rankins' deal is voiding, Malcolm Brown can be a $5mil savings if cut.
    Would be nice to re-sign Marcus Williams but that's gonna be tough to do.

Defensive side of the ball is gonna lose people and the team will probably be unremarkable next year.
    /s

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather have Hill than Winston.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never had any interest in Winston, and I'm glad we never had to rely on him for much. Unless they want to sign him and trade him as part of a package for Watson, I don't have any interest in signing him again either.
    /s

I have 0 problem with the no call on the fumble/touchback.

It wasn’t a spear tackle running straight at the runner, he was coming at a 90 degree angle and was lowering/throwing himself in front to deny access to the goal line.

The runner is diving, an act of himself lowering his head, to try and score. Should a defending player be required to just give up and let him because he can’t dive to get in front of him? If the runner didn’t dive his head wouldn’t have been down where the defender was diving, it would have hit him around the waist.

Maybe a rule should be made where runners can’t dive, because it lowers and extends their head, increasing the chance of injury. Player safety and all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    I'd rather have Hill than Winston.
    Frankly I'd rather have neither. Bring in a bridge guy for 2-3 years and start drafting rookies.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Frankly I'd rather have neither. Bring in a bridge guy for 2-3 years and start drafting rookies.
    I don’t know, I think you have to at least see what you have with Winston. If Payton can work with him and get the INT’s down, he’s immediately one of the better QB’s in the league and maybe the window reopens.

That said, the fact that they went with Hill while Brees was out feels very damning for Winston.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Smash Adams View Post
    That said, the fact that they went with Hill while Brees was out feels very damning for Winston.
    I didn't read too much into it considering there were no pre-season games and Hill has tons of experience in the Saints system; there was no opportunity for Winston to get as up to speed as Taysom was.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    So before the news breaks tomorrow morning or something can I just say if McDaniels passed on working with Aaron Rodgers, Andrew Luck, Deshaun Watson, Justin Herbert, Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, and probably others I've forgotten over the last like 5 years to go to.... Carson Wentz (maybe) and Jalen Hurts (maybe), I question if he really knows offense.

If Brees actually had the injuries his wife said he did, I'm surprised he didn't look even worse than 2015 Manning.

Rivers is retiring, hopefully Stafford ends up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    So before the news breaks tomorrow morning or something can I just say if McDaniels passed on working with Aaron Rodgers, Andrew Luck, Deshaun Watson, Justin Herbert, Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, and probably others I've forgotten over the last like 5 years to go to.... Carson Wentz (maybe) and Jalen Hurts (maybe), I question if he really knows offense.
    Based on his history, if anyone hires McDaniels as a HC, they are extremely dumb. I may also be biased.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    Based on his history, if anyone hires McDaniels as a HC, they are extremely dumb. I may also be biased.
    NFL has a lot of dumb teams, somehow Marty Hurney is about to have a job again despite being the worst GM in the universe.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry to see Rivers go, I always liked him, he was a wholesome asshole.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure didn't expect Rivers to retire, there's gonna be a lot of teams needing QBs this offseason. Good time to be guys like Andy Dalton and Ryan Fitzpatrick.

What if Brees retires, the Saints cut Winston and decide to sign as their starting QB....Fitzpatrick.

I'd be down to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Brubear View Post
    What if Brees retires, the Saints cut Winston and decide to sign as their starting QB....Fitzpatrick.

I'd be down to see that.
    Winston is a free agent, he only signed a 1 year deal with the Saints.

10+ Year Old Account
    Winston is a free agent, he only signed a 1 year deal with the Saints.
    Given that the Saints have Hill I wouldn't say it's a surprise if Winston goes to a team like the Colts at all either. There's could be a surprising amount of movement in the B-tier QB market.

Steelers collecting trash QBs, they are going to sign Haskins.

Maybe they can take Drew Lock if Big Ben decides to retire too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Steelers collecting trash QBs, they are going to sign Haskins.

Maybe they can take Drew Lock if Big Ben decides to retire too.
    Apparently they wanted Haskins in the draft as well. So get ready for him to be the heir apparent.

- - - Updated - - -

Also former Packers GM Ted Thompson has died at 68. Probably most notable as "the GM that drafted Aaron Rodgers," he also was the GM that put together the Super Bowl XLV team.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even though I think Pete Carroll is past his sell date. The Detroit Lions remind me, it could be worse.

Hungry for kneecaps?

“But Eric Bieniemy doesn’t interview well.”
    Government Affiliated Snark