The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Packers lose talent at OT, didn't have talent at WR, lose talent at TE, replace none of it. Frankly the big thing that's going to keep them from collapsing into "rebuilding" territory is going to be if those recent defensive picks pan out.

If they bust, Love ends up sliding into a top 10 potential picking team. If Love busts too, well the Golden Age is over.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Oh man that is brutal. I just don't understand it, the window for the Packers is open and they are trying to what exactly?
    This has the Sean McVay coaching tree written all over it honestly. Bring in a rotation of cheap, average QBs and scheme the WRs/RBs to score 30 points a game.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I think you need to go back now to last offseason and look at all those pieces about Rodgers and LaFleur not getting along well and say "maybe these were legit after all."
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Also I think you need to go back now to last offseason and look at all those pieces about Rodgers and LaFleur not getting along well and say "maybe these were legit after all."
    Maybe, but still sounds like sabotaging your present to build for the distant future. It is always interesting to see the moves teams make and then the headscratching to follow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe, but still sounds like sabotaging your present to build for the distant future. It is always interesting to see the moves teams make and then the headscratching to follow.
    Yeah that is very much true. It's basically slamming the window shut and saying "The NFC Championship was a fluke. We're all in on LaFleur's vision for the team, and that vision doesn't include a top-10 all time QB."

Frankly it'll be interesting what happens here. Rodgers is under contract until 2024. I doubt he sees the end of that deal with Green Bay unless Love busts (in which case he probably outlives his current coach and GM in Green Bay), so do they eat dead cap in a few years to release him or do they trade him somewhere. Who will be the next Tampa Bay Buccaneers?

Yeah that is very much true. It's basically slamming the window shut and saying "The NFC Championship was a fluke. We're all in on LaFleur's vision for the team, and that vision doesn't include a top-10 all time QB."

Frankly it'll be interesting what happens here. Rodgers is under contract until 2024. I doubt he sees the end of that deal with Green Bay unless Love busts (in which case he probably outlives his current coach and GM in Green Bay), so do they eat dead cap in a few years to release him or do they trade him somewhere. Who will be the next Tampa Bay Buccaneers?
    I mean, the NFC Championship for the Packers was half fluke, half Rodgers making something out of nothing, half a decent-ish defense. I can see a reasonably analysis that the window wasn't really all that wide open for the Packers, but the very fact that Rodgers managed to get that team to the NFC Championship should have been enough to push to try and wedge that window open.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    The best description I heard of him is that he's a pretty good scout, but he relies way too much on his scouting ability to make up for his weakness as a GM. This pick could work, but again, if you wanted that guy you should have traded back to 11 or so and drafted him there. Could have netted a late 3rd early 4th rounder for that.
    Sure if there was someone willing to deal, you never know when it comes to wonky NFL trades vs what fans/"experts" suggest they could be. Not defending Gettleman as I think he sucks out loud.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I mean, the NFC Championship for the Packers was half fluke, half Rodgers making something out of nothing, half a decent-ish defense. I can see a reasonably analysis that the window wasn't really all that wide open for the Packers, but the very fact that Rodgers managed to get that team to the NFC Championship should have been enough to push to try and wedge that window open.
    At the very least Rodgers basically making something out of nothing half the time last season should be indication that of all the problems the team has, he wasn't one of them.

Again, this feels like a LaFleur pick. That he said "Jordan Love is my QB, I want to build the team around him."

- - - Updated - - -

So I know we have at least one person that wanted the Saints to pass on a QB here.

If I'm seeing this right Brees can walk after this season (assuming we have a season). Saints let Brees walk and trade for Aaron Rodgers?

So I know we have at least one person that wanted the Saints to pass on a QB here.

If I'm seeing this right Brees can walk after this season (assuming we have a season). Saints let Brees walk and trade for Aaron Rodgers?
    Brees has been able to walk practically every year for the past 3-4 years I believe. They sign him on '2 year deals' to shove the dead cap hits further back but redo the contract I think every year now. Just some cap wizardry the Saints have been doing for a while to keep the window as open as possible while he plays. I want Brees to play for a few more years for the Saints but it sure does seem like this is the last year considering the NBC deal when he retires.

10+ Year Old Account
    Brees has been able to walk practically every year for the past 3-4 years I believe. They sign him on '2 year deals' to shove the dead cap hits further back but redo the contract I think every year now. Just some cap wizardry the Saints have been doing for a while to keep the window as open as possible while he plays. I want Brees to play for a few more years for the Saints but it sure does seem like this is the last year considering the NBC deal when he retires.
    Okay I didn't know he had an NBC deal sitting there for him once he retires. Yeah okay I understand why my gut was telling me "Aaron Rodgers QB of the Saints in 2021" now.

Okay I didn't know he had an NBC deal sitting there for him once he retires. Yeah okay I understand why my gut was telling me "Aaron Rodgers QB of the Saints in 2021" now.
    I mean if Brees retires this year, fuck yeah I'd love to have Rodgers for X years, that would be a glut of QB riches being continued. Though a part of me REALLY wants to see what Taysom Hill can do with more QB snaps, but he fits best as a wild card doing everything on the field for us. I'm all in on Brees as long as he wants to play though. I'd take Brees over Rodgers every day of the week, though I know many would argue it.

He's never ever traded back in the draft. Ever. It's not an issue with something being available, it's that he falls in love with one guy and then goes for that guy. The pick after Saquon was traded for 3 second round picks and the #6 pick in the draft (who turned into Quentin Nelson).
    Oh I agree he's never traded back and it is well known he is pretty clueless when it comes to manipulating the board and getting value. He said a few minutes ago that there were talks on trades but nothing came of it. He was likely asking for too much in return (highlighting he's bad at it).

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean if Brees retires this year, fuck yeah I'd love to have Rodgers for X years, that would be a glut of QB riches being continued. Though a part of me REALLY wants to see what Taysom Hill can do with more QB snaps, but he fits best as a wild card doing everything on the field for us. I'm all in on Brees as long as he wants to play though. I'd take Brees over Rodgers every day of the week, though I know many would argue it.
    The crazy thing with Hill is he's gonna be 30 when this season (is supposed to) starts. If the Saints like him I can see them going with him, but they'd need to really like him to hitch their wagon to a then 31 year old when they could sign a better QB that probably has a similar shelf life at this point, or just draft someone younger.

Honestly the nightmare scenario for the entire NFL now should be "Jason Stidham flames out, the Patriots have a high first, flip that first to the Packers for Rodgers, and go onto win 2 more Super Bowls with Rodgers."

The crazy thing with Hill is he's gonna be 30 when this season (is supposed to) starts. If the Saints like him I can see them going with him, but they'd need to really like him to hitch their wagon to a then 31 year old when they could sign a better QB that probably has a similar shelf life at this point, or just draft someone younger.

Honestly the nightmare scenario for the entire NFL now should be "Jason Stidham flames out, the Patriots have a high first, flip that first to the Packers for Rodgers, and go onto win 2 more Super Bowls with Rodgers."
    Haha I've seen so many Patriots nightmare scenarios, that would be awful for everyone involved.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha I've seen so many Patriots nightmare scenarios, that would be awful for everyone involved.
    If you want a third crazy scenario that could happen. Replace Patriots with Bills and cut out that part about two Super Bowls.

Honestly I could really see the Bills going in on a Rodgers sweepstakes if Josh Allen the QB continues to be, well, average.

At the very least with how Rodgers' deal is structured the Packers would have to eat dead cap for him to stay in the NFC North.

10+ Year Old Account
    All right, so what wide receiver and/or LSU/Bama player did everyone's team get?

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    All right, so what wide receiver and/or LSU/Bama player did everyone's team get?
    I got a rock. Oh wait, we got an offensive lineman. Not a flashy pick haha.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post

If you want a third crazy scenario that could happen. Replace Patriots with Bills and cut out that part about two Super Bowls.

Honestly I could really see the Bills going in on a Rodgers sweepstakes if Josh Allen the QB continues to be, well, average.

At the very least with how Rodgers' deal is structured the Packers would have to eat dead cap for him to stay in the NFC North.
    Bro, the Bills have a top #3 defense that has only improved this past offseason, a true #1 WR with great secondary WRs, up and coming TEs and RBs, a solid line anchored by a highly paid center.

If Josh Allen ain't it, I'm all for plugging in Rodgers, and I think we definitely have a shot at the Super Bowl.

McDermott and Beane (our GM) are for real. And I wasn't a fan of the defensive-minded HC hire, but he's managed to have enough humility to find a creative OC and let him just do his thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Bro, the Bills have a top #3 defense that has only improved this past offseason, a true #1 WR with great secondary WRs, up and coming TEs and RBs, a solid line anchored by a highly paid center.

If Josh Allen ain't it, I'm all for plugging in Rodgers, and I think we definitely have a shot at the Super Bowl.

McDermott and Beane (our GM) are for real. And I wasn't a fan of the defensive-minded HC hire, but he's managed to have enough humility to find a creative OC and let him just do his thing.
    Frankly the more I think about it the more the Bills would make a logical landing site if the Packers have already decided to move on from Rodgers. Now that they have a top WR there's really no immediate hole that needs to be plugged except QB if Allen continues to be resoundingly average. They can justify throwing a 1 at Rodgers, maybe even like a 1 and a 4 package.

Plus they're an AFC team so in theory that wins them any tiebreaker. Less risk the Rodgers trade comes back to bite you that way.

I'm trying to think where in the AFC a Rodgers-led Bills team would slot. I'd probably put the, third best team behind the two obvious ones in KC and Baltimore. In fact I probably put them up in that same tier above everyone else.

Curious to see where Rodgers finishes his career.

No need to write his obit yet - over the past two years he has 51 tds and 6 interceptions, averaging 4200 yards a year. This is a strange pick.
    I’m not saying he is done but you trade up in the first round to draft a qb while he still has 4 years left on his contract? Something is going on. Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if he wanted out of there.