Poll: Which expansions had the best lore?

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Which expansions had the best lore?

People like to condemn the lore of the later expansions while looking back on the past with rose-tinted glasses, but I would personally argue that every expansion has had something going for it in terms of lore. Asinine gameplay systems and class changes aside, the lore of the game is the one uniting force that has kept me invested throughout the many years I've played this game.

That said, nothing's stopping us from playing favorites. If you were to ignore everything else about an expansion and judge it based solely on the lore (story, setting, etc.), which expansions would you rank at the top?

My favorites would probably be Legion and Wrath. The Nordic themes of Wrath were enough to make me fall in love with it, but it also had one of the coolest villains the game has ever seen. Legion, on the other hand, was the first time when the game felt like it was actually making leaps and bounds to move the main story forward, and there was a wide array of smaller storylines, all of which introduced interesting characters and stories. I was especially a big fan of the night elf lore (Azsuna, Suramar, and Black Rook Hold).

WotLK has a unique advantage given we all love Warcraft 3, and there are so many throwbacks. TBC had a few too of course, but WoTLK was something else

Wotlk, and not only because of Arthas, but mostly Ulduar. But the questlines and overall the lore was kinda messy.

Legion probably second best.

WotLK. It continued where WC3 left off and ended the Arthas and Third War story. Arthas had the best build up for a Warcraft villain, his death felt rather beautiful where he is held by his dad as a spirit. The side stories also got a lot of proper attention with the titan/Ulduar and Yogg-Saron being build up in several zones and come to a satisfying encounter. Malygos and the blue dragonflight, the vrykul, iron dwarves and the nerubians were all good villains for their zones. The entire death knight story is just solid, and as a DK you also get a proper conclusion of getting to kill the one that raised you in the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pandaman View Post
    WotLK has a unique advantage given we all love Warcraft 3, and there are so many throwbacks. TBC had a few too of course, but WoTLK was something else
    I didn't even play Warcraft 3 and Wrath is still one of my favorites.

Easily wrath.

Lore and writing is a big deal for me in ip's and I think that's one of the biggest reasons I don't play wow atm as it's garbage in bfa.

But I must say that lore in wow was never really that good but wrath was when it was the best.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2020-02-13 at 10:33 AM.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Cataclysm for the revamp of old zones.

Wotlk wasted arthas as a cartoon vilain and the main story was particulary stupid.
    BC wasted all war3 and added interstellar spaceship. Mop wasted Garrosh and pandaren were fucking boring, Jaina became skysophreniac and nobody noticd.
    Wod was just an extension of the stupidity started with bc.
    Legion did what it could to salvage what was broken with bc. Would be the second less garbage.
    Bfa is particulary stupid. On par with bc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    WotLK, Cata, MoP, and Legion in my estimation. Cata being a special case where there were problems with gameplay aspects of it (e.g. the Dragon Soul raid) but the lore itself was pretty good - storytelling wasn't a problem in Cata.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

For me its MOP. Since Pandaland was an entirely new creation (for the most part) ifelt all of it's lore slide into place better then most other expasions. I enjoyed that about it

Never thought wow's lore/story was that great, but MoP had some interesting stuff.
    Last edited by Ludvig; 2020-02-15 at 12:39 PM.

Lore.... or Story? Because they are two different things.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Wrath, MoP and Legion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Quality of story is subjective, and I've always liked WoW's lore. The only exception is WoD - which in itself was a cool story, but I just hate time travel and multiple universe theory etc
    WoD also had some pretty blatant paradoxes introduced in its lore, which I think pulls it down even further from a lore perspective.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ercarp View Post
    People like to condemn the lore of the later expansions while looking back on the past with rose-tinted glasses, but I would personally argue that every expansion has had something going for it in terms of lore. Asinine gameplay systems and class changes aside, the lore of the game is the one uniting force that has kept me invested throughout the many years I've played this game.

That said, nothing's stopping us from playing favorites. If you were to ignore everything else about an expansion and judge it based solely on the lore (story, setting, etc.), which expansions would you rank at the top?

My favorites would probably be Legion and Wrath. The Nordic themes of Wrath were enough to make me fall in love with it, but it also had one of the coolest villains the game has ever seen. Legion, on the other hand, was the first time when the game felt like it was actually making leaps and bounds to move the main story forward, and there was a wide array of smaller storylines, all of which introduced interesting characters and stories. I was especially a big fan of the night elf lore (Azsuna, Suramar, and Black Rook Hold).
    For me, Wrath/Mists/Legion were the strongest lore expansions.

BFA has some great story here and there, but there's too many loose ends IMO. Like Azeroth herself, the story seems to have forgotten that we were trying to save her...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Voidism View Post
    Wrath, MoP and Legion.
    +1

/10chars

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WonderZebra View Post
    For me its MOP. Since Pandaland was an entirely new creation (for the most part) ifelt all of it's lore slide into place better then most other expasions. I enjoyed that about it
    It really did feel exceptionally cohesive in that regard.

oh cata.
    i will always remeber smashing human heads in hillsbrad with my forsakens

ah, and gilneas conquering with belmont is by far the best thing that this game gave me
    Last edited by omeomorfismo; 2020-02-13 at 01:35 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    talking strict about lore wotlk>mop>cata

i still can't believe people liked the elf-fest and shitshow of Legion and that last raid

BfA had good lore bogged down by terrible execution and a rushed latter half of the story.

Wrath>WoD>TBC>Cata>MoP>Legion>BfA

The problem with WoD is that they introduce concepts out of nowhere then do nothing with it. Void Ner'zhul ---> Dies in a raid (at least the small Void Alleria arc in Legion served to foreshadow the Ren'dorei). Giant ogre continent ---> Never even gets referenced. Yrel's dark secret ---> Is never actually developed until 2 expansions later. Archimonde's return ----> Dies 5 minutes later.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenebra the War Criminal View Post
    The problem with WoD is that they introduce concepts out of nowhere then do nothing with it. Void Ner'zhul ---> Dies in a raid (at least the small Void Alleria arc in Legion served to foreshadow the Ren'dorei). Giant ogre continent ---> Never even gets referenced. Yrel's dark secret ---> Is never actually developed until 2 expansions later. Archimonde's return ----> Dies 5 minutes later.
    in wod is where they start introducing things out of nowhere and then doing nothing with it, or doing shit things

we can clearly see the pattern of wod-legion-bfa, like the entire expansion is about one thing then the last raid/patch is different or totally different