Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Overwatch Cartoon and Diablo Anime Seem to Be on the Way

Overwatch Cartoon and Diablo Anime Seem to Be on the Way
    No official announcement yet.

it seems that both an Overwatch cartoon and Diablo anime are in the works. Neither have been confirmed by Activision Blizzard yet but new evidence from a high-ranking employee makes it pretty likely they are in production.

Nick van Dyck, who is the president of the film and TV division of Activision Blizzard, says he has worked on both of these unannounced projects in his LinkedIn profile.

His profile lists him as being the executive producer of a TV adaptation of Diablo that is "rendered in anime style." Apparently it's in pre-production and will be distributed worldwide through Netflix. This isn't the first time we've heard about a possible Diablo animated series for Netflix.

If it really is coming, then it will probably look to follow in the very successful footsteps of the Netflix Castlevania animated series. Season 3, of which, is due out on March 5 and recently got a bloody, monster-filled trailer.

More of a surprise is that Dyck's profile also says that he has "developed and sold an animated series based Blizzard's Overwatch franchise." Nothing else about this is revealed. The fact that this has been "sold" suggests it isn't another of Blizzard's in-house Overwatch short films and is potentially a larger project.

Both of these animated series make a lot of sense given that franchises have a new game on the way. Diablo 4 was announced at BlizzCon last year but there's no word on when it might launch. The same goes for Overwatch 2, which will add story missions alongside new heroes and modes to the first game's formula.

Hopefully the success of recent video game adaptations, like the Castlevania series and the Sonic the Hedgehog movie, will carry over to these animated series.

https://www.ign.com/articles/overwat...-be-on-the-way

well... lets hope its good like the witcher and not make the same mistakes like the wow movie

Disappointed Diablo might be an anime, never liked anime in general and think Diablo would be much better served as a high budget live action horror.

My thoughts on how each franchise could be brought to TV are as follows. Note I know most of this wouldn’t work for budgetary reasons but one can dream

Diablo - Live action horror with a mix of CGI and puppetry.
    Overwatch - Same animation as the cinematic shorts but done to feel like a Saturday morning cartoon.
    Starcraft - Live action Battlestar Galactica type show with CGI and maybe some Alien type puppetry for the Zerg.
    Warcraft - cinematic quality show dealing with horde and alliance inner conflict, think about a pre first war timeline and game of throne type build up.

Quote Originally Posted by Yelmurc View Post
    Disappointed Diablo might be an anime, never liked anime in general and think Diablo would be much better served as a high budget live action horror.
    I dunno. Castlevania wasn't half bad on Netflix as an anime.

Overwatch as a cartoon though, blegh.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

Overwatch Cartoon
    Five years too late.

I've said it before, and I will say it again: Blizzard has woefully mismanaged the Overwatch IP.

• Their first new IP in... what? 16, 17, 18 years? A new BLIZZARD IP! They had the whole industry looking at them.
    • Cast of colorful characters that caught people's imaginations with an interesting backstory. Ton of potential (just look at the wealth of fan fics).
    • They swing out the gate with five cinematics, half a dozen 10 page comics, and the announcement of a graphic novel that promise a rich story.
    • Spend the next five years with a trickle of new story, no graphic novel, only one cinematic a year.
    • Announces a campaign long after the hype died down.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2020-02-17 at 05:43 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    "rendered in anime style"

Which anime?
    Hentai /thread

Warcraft should be a show.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Five years too late.

I've said it before, and I will say it again: Blizzard has woefully mismanaged the Overwatch IP.

• Their first new IP in... what? 16, 17, 18 years? A new BLIZZARD IP! They had the whole industry looking at them.
    • Cast of colorful characters that caught people's imaginations with an interesting backstory. Ton of potential (just look at the wealth of fan fics).
    • They swing out the gate with five cinematics, half a dozen 10 page comics, and the announcement of a graphic novel that promise a rich story.
    • Spend the next five years with a trickle of new story, no graphic novel, only one cinematic a year.
    • Announces a campaign long after the hype died down.
    Not to be crass but with the amount of "adult" content pertaining to Overwatch that has been created over the years since it's release it'd probably be a lot more productive for them to figure out how to make some money off that thriving and continuing interest over making a Saturday Morning Style or similar Animated Series five years too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevizier View Post
    Hentai /thread
    Ha that got a laugh out of me.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Warcraft should be a show.
    Warcraft shpuld have been a serie and not a movie. Probably would had more success than an movie. Just take a look on how the witcher was a success

A Diablo anime in Castlevania style (since it's netflix), with the no holds barred guts & gore of Berserk could work.

Quote Originally Posted by Unforgivenn View Post
    Warcraft shpuld have been a serie and not a movie. Probably would had more success than an movie. Just take a look on how the witcher was a success
    Exactly this. Warcraft is much more show material than almost any other fantasy series anyway. There's so much potential there.

- - - Updated - - -

Like, imagine seeing the first War, second war, and third war as a show, only for the Frozen Throne to be a 2-3 hour film that ends with Arthas' climactic battle with Illidan, and Arthas becoming the Lich King (Which is very possible to do, btw).

Then, imagine a Warcraft to continue afterwards with the Heroes, the fight at the Sunwell, Ulduar, Sargeras' Imprisonment, etc. Would look absolutely stunning.

10+ Year Old Account

Which anime?
    RWBY (obvious sarcasm)

I'm not sure if anime would be my preference for Diablo. I'd love to actually see a throwback western animated series, like from the 70s/80s. Like almost the filmed and rotoscoped style.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think Diablo would fit well in anime, but it depends on the style. Not Japanese anime. That would kill it.
    I agree that Warcraft should have been series. They had the lore, the fans, the budget. What the heck were they thinking?

I’m surprised that they haven’t done an animated movie or show with Overwatch earlier. Its a completely new IP yet they haven’t explored their characters at all other than giving them some action scenes and one liners in short clips. As for Diablo being an anime, I hope that this means that it can get very dark and that they won’t hold back on portraying the undead and demons as actually frightening. I hated how colorful and cartoony they looked in Diablo 3. This works for Warcraft and Starcraft but not for Diablo.

Also please do a Warcraft series about the Third War with Arthas as a main character. Arthas as a death knight is like an evil Geralt of Rivia.

10+ Year Old Account
    If Diablo is on par with Castlevania level of animie then I am more than happy

Diablo like Castlevania would be pretty sick

Quote Originally Posted by Andonais View Post
    Diablo like Castlevania would be pretty sick
    Yeah, the style would match. I am all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yelmurc View Post

My thoughts on how each franchise could be brought to TV are as follows. Note I know most of this wouldn’t work for budgetary reasons but one can dream

Diablo - Live action horror with a mix of CGI and puppetry.
    Overwatch - Same animation as the cinematic shorts but done to feel like a Saturday morning cartoon.
    Starcraft - Live action Battlestar Galactica type show with CGI and maybe some Alien type puppetry for the Zerg.
    Warcraft - cinematic quality show dealing with horde and alliance inner conflict, think about a pre first war timeline and game of throne type build up.
    Same.. I hate anime. Live action or CGI like Blizzard cinematics would be perfect for Diablo.

Overwatch.. never cared about that. This could be anime
    Starcraft - won't work as a show. BSG is good cause it's based on real physics and science. Starcraft really isn't.
    Warcraft - Disney style comedy with animated dancing pandas and songs maybe?

Which anime?
    Butt Ugly Martians style

IMO I think it would be cool if OW went with the style it did for the Doomfist reveal cinematic
    The proper waifu is a wholesome supplement for one's intrinsic need for belonging and purpose.

Looking forward to these.