Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aviger View Post
    Reviews are literally mentioned in the post , how bad are you at reading :P
    But to clarity, just because someone ELSE says something is bad, how can you KNOW it is?
    You cannot, you can make a guess, but to 100% say something is bad, you have to see it :P

As for your claim "bad movies etc", i proffer yet again the McDonald's paradox. The food is objectively worse then the wagyu at SW Steakhouse, but they make billions more :P

EDIT: btw, just because a movie is objectively BAD doesn't mean it can't make a lot of money (transformers 3 made a billion, i DARE you to tell me that's a good movie) . I love some bad movies, all the die hards past 2 come to mind.
    Just because some people think it's bad, doesn't mean you have to get all upset about it. So you like it, great for you! enjoy it
    I don't know. I can generally tell if I'm gonna like a movie 99% of the time from previews.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    This bit made me laugh out loud. As if half of us wouldn't have streamed the movie over going to the theater if given the chance.
    Honestly: Why should I stream it? The movie was a cinematic experience. It did not have a deep story or anything. The main drive to watch it were the visuals and those are just lost at home.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    Honestly: Why should I stream it? The movie was a cinematic experience. It did not have a deep story or anything. The main drive to watch it were the visuals and those are just lost at home.
    I never said you should, only that many of us would (technically I said "half" but that was obvious hyperbole seen in context).

I'm laughing at the guy (Cameron) claiming that people going to theaters to see the movie without the option to stream somehow means "everyone wants to get back to the theater". If someone really wanted to test that, they would release it on both platforms simultaneously and then see which was more popular. I found it amusing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

5+ Year Old Account
    ‘Avatar: The Way of Water‘ Surpasses ’Spider-Man: No Way Home’ as Sixth-Biggest Film of All Time With $1.92 Billion.

https://variety.com/2023/film/box-of...lm-1235490031/
    By Rebecca Rubin - Jan 18, 2023 9:27am PT

All hail the Na’vi. James Cameron’s blockbuster sequel “Avatar: The Way of Water” has generated $1.928 billion globally, overtaking “Spider-Man: No Way Home” ($1.91 billion) as the sixth-highest grossing release in box office history.

The sci-fi tentpole’s next major hurdle is crossing $2 billion, a feat achieved by only five films in history: Avatar” ($2.9 billion), “Avengers: Endgame” ($2.79 billion), “Titanic” ($2.2 billion), “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” ($2.069 billion) and “Avengers: Infinity War” ($2.04 billion). If “The Way of Water” manages to hit the $2 billion mark (and it’s looking likely), it’ll be the first pandemic-era movie, as well as Cameron’s third film, to join the coveted club.

So far, “The Way of Water” has generated $574 million in North America and $1.35 billion internationally after less than six weeks in theaters. The film’s overseas tally is especially impressive because it’s not playing in Russia (where the original grossed more than $100 million) and it’s falling short of expectations in Japan (where the original generated $176 million). Lucky for Disney, which owns the rights to “Avatar,” the sequel is outperforming projections in China ($217 million), France ($123 million), Germany ($108 million) and Korea ($93.6 million).

At the domestic box office, “The Way of Water” stands as the 13th highest-grossing movie, passing “The Lion King” ($543.6 million), “The Dark Knight” ($535 million) and “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” ($533.5 million). Overseas, the movie ranks as the fifth-highest grossing release ever, behind the original “Avatar,” “Avengers: Endgame,” “Titanic” and “Avengers: Infinity War.” It’s ever-so-close to dethroning “Infinity War,” which remains in fourth place with $1.370 billion.

“The Way of Water” arrived in theaters last December, roughly 13 years after the original. The sequel cost roughly $460 million to produce and promote, making it one of the most expensive films ever.

- - - Updated - - -

Avatar 3 Will Bring Back Both Payakan And His Nemesis Scoresby

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/...esis-scoresby/
    By Ben Travis | Posted On18 01 2023

It would be accurate to describe James Cameron’s long-awaited sci-fi sequel Avatar: The Way Of Water as, well, as whale of a time at the cinema – and it’s rarely more visually resplendent than when pointing its (largely virtual) lens at Payakan. The majestic, colossal ‘Tulkun’ who befriends Jake and Neytiri’s son Lo’ak has become a firm fan favourite – not only garnering sympathy for his tragic backstory, but kicking some serious Recom ass in the final reel too. He even gets his own ultra-hissable baddie, Brendan Cowell’s Mick Scoresby, through the course of the film – a hunter who’s made a trade of selling life-extending Tulkun brain-goo for major financial gain.

The good news for Avatar fans is, there’ll be more Payakan to come in the upcoming Avatar 3. According to producer Jon Landau, he’ll be back – and acting in a deeper capacity than in Way Of Water. “We view Payakan as a character, not just as a creature,” he tells Empire. “We will continue to explore his relationship with Lo’ak.” Spelling more trouble, though, is the confirmation that Scoresby will be returning too – likely even more dangerous than before, since Payakan caused him to lose an arm in The Way Of Water’s action-packed finale.

If Cameron’s sequel made anything clear, with the introduction of Edie Falco’s General Ardmore as the leader of the RDA, it’s that the war for Pandora is far from over. “Way Of Water was Quaritch’s vendetta but Ardmore’s, or the RDA’s, goals have not changed,” confirms Landau.

- - - Updated - - -

Avatar 3’s Fire Na’vi Chief To Be Played By Game Of Thrones Star

https://screenrant.com/avatar-3-cast...re-navi-chief/
    BY NATHAN GRAHAM-LOWERY - 1 DAY AGO

Avatar producer Jon Landau reveals that Game Of Thrones star Oona Chaplin has been cast in Avatar 3 as the head of the Na'vi fire tribe and will be a much more antagonistic figure than other Na'vi. Chaplin portrayed Talisa Maegyr across seasons 2 and 3 of the HBO fantasy series based on the works of George R.R. Martin. Landau is a longtime collaborator of Cameron's and helped develop the Avatar franchise alongside the director for both 2009's Avatar and 2022's Avatar: The Way of Water, and is set to return to help build the three upcoming sequels.

In the latest issue of EMPIRE magazine, Landau revealed new details about Avatar 3 following Avatar: The Way of Water's release, including the previously cast Chaplin's character in the sequel that is currently slated to be released in 2024. The producer stated that the Game of Thrones star would portray Varang, leader of the Na'vi Ash People tribes in Pandora's more volcanic regions. Landau also revealed that the Ash People would be more antagonistic when compared to previous tribes of Na'vi that the series has explored. In contrast, the humans considered "sky people" will be seen in a more positive light. Check out Landau's complete response below:

There are good humans, and there are bad humans - the same thing on the Navi side - but oftentimes, people don't see themselves as bad. What is the root cause of how they evolve into what we perceive as bad? Maybe there are other factors there that we're not aware of.

- - - Updated - - -

weird, I never miss these, prob didn't want to be spoiled n then forgot about it...

Avatar: The Way of Water Pitch Meeting

Pitch Meeting
    3 weeks ago

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Avatar 3 Will Bring Back Both Payakan And His Nemesis Scoresby
    I'm trying to figure out how the whale is supposed to be fit into a story in which the ash people take center stage, as presumably that conflict would take place mostly not on the water but in their desolate wasteland. Or maybe Payakan just gets a small role in the third movie.

IDK what Scoreby is supposed to do in the third movie. He wasn't a military officer. He has no authority and has no business going to a battlefield. He was just a whaler and his boat got wrecked. Unless the RDA actually has another ludicrously expensive ekranoplane docked at Bridgehead that he takes command of to go hunt Payakan for revenge, but that doesn't sound very interesting.

5+ Year Old Account
    ‘Avatar: The Way of Water’ Dethrones ‘The Avengers’ in the U.S. and Enters All-Time Top 10 at Domestic Box Office.

https://variety.com/2023/film/box-of...235509548/amp/
    By Rebecca Rubin - February 1, 2023 10:35am PT

Another day, another milestone for “Avatar: The Way of Water.” James Cameron’s blockbuster sequel has generated $623.5 million at the domestic box office, taking down “The Avengers” ($623.4 million) to become the 10th-highest grossing domestic release of all time.

Now that “The Way of Water” has cracked the top 10, the sci-fi tentpole’s competition to move up the list includes “Jurassic World” (at No. 9 with $653 million), “Titanic” (at No. 8 with $659 million) and “Avengers: Infinity War” (at No. 7 with $678 million).

Globally, “Avatar: The Way of Water” stands as the fourth-biggest movie in history with $2.128 billion. It ranks behind only “Avatar” ($2.92 billion), “Avengers: Endgame” ($2.7 billion) and “Titanic” ($2.19 billion) in terms of worldwide ticket sales. For those keeping track, three of those four movies were directed by Cameron.

Thanks to stratospheric interest among international audiences, “The Way of Water” became the second-fastest movie to surpass $2 billion after “Avengers: Endgame.” It’s earned a monster $1.5 billion at the international box office, ranking as the fourth-biggest overseas release. Outside of North America, the top earning territories include China ($238 million), France ($137 million), Germany ($125 million) and Korea ($103 million).

The long-delayed sequel to 2009’s “Avatar” opened on the big screen in December. Like the original, ticket sales have been fueled by Imax and 3D screens, as well as repeat customers across all ages and demographics. Disney, which holds the rights to “Avatar” after acquiring 20th Century Fox in 2019, spent roughly $460 million to produce and promote “The Way of Water,” making it one of the most expensive films ever.

A third “Avatar” installment is set to debut in December 2024 with plans for fourth and fifth entries in the coming years. Zoe Saldaña and Sam Worthington star in the intergenerational, otherworldly saga about family.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JGreenwoodGolf View Post
    I haven't seen this yet. Do you think you need to see the first before the second? It's a few years since I watched it
    Nah, I wouldn't think so. The movie (IMO) does a pretty good job of showing the key references needed to help everyone "remember when this happened? remember this guy?" in the first chunk of the movie, where its relevant. The movie also starts off showing the kids all 'growing up', with a montage, to help connect the end of the prior movie to the start of this one.

So long as you remember that the main character was 'avatared' into a blue alien body, fell in love, and stayed on planet. As well as remembered that there was a main bad guy trying to kill him (at that time) in order to harvest the planet for its resources. You'll be fine. The movie will connect, and show you, everything else you need to know.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

5+ Year Old Account
    Avatar: The Way of Water Q&A With James Cameron and Jon Landau (Audio Only)

Mon Mothma
    Feb 17, 2023

A special screening of Avatar: The Way of Water was held at The Walt Disney Studios in Burbank, CA on February 16, 2023 and was followed up with an exclusive Q&A with director James Cameron and producer Jon Landau in which they invited audience members to ask them questions and give feedback about the film. This session was extremely casual and intimate with Cameron personally handing the microphone to audience members and giving them the opportunity to speak to him directly regardless of whether it was to praise or critique the film. Both Cameron and Landau gave the audience plenty of new insights into the storytelling and filmmaking process and answered many fans’ undying questions of the film’s loose ends and future installments in the franchise.

- - - Updated - - -

James Cameron Convenes ‘Avatar 2’ Fans for Unfiltered Feedback: “We’re Not Looking for Praise”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ck-1235337823/
    BY CHRIS GARDNER - MARCH 2, 2023 11:30AM

Days before James Cameron’s Avatar: The Way of Water splashed its way past his 1997 film, Titanic, on the global box office charts to become the No. 3 movie of all time (not adjusted for inflation), the filmmaker took a seat on the Walt Disney Studios lot in Burbank to do something he said he’s never done.

Cameron joined longtime producing partner Jon Landau for an Avatar 2 screening filled with fans that had seen the film once or multiple times. (One man admitted to being a superfan who had seen the 3-hour and 12-minute film a whopping seven times.) The purpose of the Feb. 16 event — presented by 20th Century Studios and Fandango — was for the pair to field feedback directly from an audience that Cameron said will help shape the rest of the franchise.

“This is something we’ve never done, which is [ask], ‘How do we make the next film even better for the fans?’ Go talk to them, find out what’s on your mind,” Cameron said at the top of the event. Later, he made it clear he wasn’t looking for praise and pats on the back for his film, which is now nominated for four Academy Awards. “You guys can be totally honest with us, this is not just about telling us stuff we want to hear. It’s about telling us the stuff we … need to work on more.”

They took their time, too, as Cameron and Landau stood in front of the crowd for more than an hour with Cameron, decked out in all black including a leather jacket and boots, personally handing the microphone to audience members as they asked specific questions about plot points, shot selection, frame rates, character development, emotional reactions, moments that made them laugh and even if it looked too “video-gamey” in parts.

One of those in attendance was Jeff Napshin, owner of Star Track Tours, and he tells THR that he’s “never seen a director ask for this kind of audience feedback that he clearly took seriously.”

Napshin continued: “He also joked about some plot screw-ups that he had to deal with in the movie and how the movie plot constantly changed in editing as they tried to find what worked. I really believe this experience was unique and special, and as James Cameron said, let’s get together in two years and see if our ideas and feedback made the film.”

That’s what Cameron suggested in closing out the event by saying that he intends to keep track of everyone in the room so that they can regroup after the next installment comes out on Dec. 20, 2024. “I just want to assure you guys that you have made a measurable improvement to Avatar 3 and beyond with your effort here tonight.”

visually it is simply magnificent. The effects under water are sumptuous. On the other hand, the special effects do not melt a film... It is above all the story, and there... There is no one left... . So yes, it's a moment of cinema but in terms of history, it doesn't fly very high...

5+ Year Old Account
    ‘Avatar: The Way of Water’ Sets Digital Release.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/a...te-1235543534/
    By J. Kim Murphy - Mar 7, 2023 6:00am PT

“The Way of Water” has no beginning and no end — even in your living room! James Cameron’s long awaited “Avatar” sequel has finally set a digital platform release date. The sci-fi epic will be available to purchase on March 28, setting course for Prime Video, Apple TV, Vudu and Movies Anywhere. Digital editions will be available in 4K Ultra HD quality with Dolby Atmos audio.

In addition to the feature’s digital release, “The Way of Water” will come with more than three hours of additional bonus content, exploring the world of Pandora and the film’s unique production process. Highlights include deep dives on performance capture technology, Na’vi culture, Pandora’s underwater ecosystems, the intricacies of sound design, the Wētā FX visual effects team, returning cast members, new characters and a featurette focusing on Spider (Jack Champion), the young human boy who wants to be a member of the Na’vi. Bonus features may vary across digital retailers.

The 20th Century Studios and Lightstorm Entertainment production is currently coming down from a theatrical run for the record books. Since its release in December, “Avatar: The Way of Water” has become the third highest-grossing film of all time with a global box office gross exceeding $2.2 billion. The film is also the ninth highest-grossing film ever at the domestic box office with $670 million, looking to soon surpass Cameron’s “Titanic” ($674 million) for eighth.

“The Way of Water” has earned four Academy Award nominations, including best picture, best visual effects, best production design and best sound.

I presume that the bluray release of the Avatar 1 remaster will come out at the same time?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I presume that the bluray release of the Avatar 1 remaster will come out at the same time?
    Doesn't seem like it..

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm surprised they are selling it at the end of this month. Its still out in ALL the theaters around here. I would have thought they'd want to milk that a bit longer before putting out on people's tv's. *shrugs*
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Now that it is out at home, I finally got a chance to watch this movie and I am glad I waited to watch the movie at home.

I paused it so many times because the movie just wasn't good. It is amazing in how it looks, I mean the effects are top notch. But, the story? Holy crap, it was just so bad.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's super artificial through and through, cool if you're into scifi + amazing and beautiful otherworldly landscapes, but overall it's just way too long for such a contrived story, it takes itself way too seriously to the point it doesn't respect people's time, it's just more avatar action and scenery that could've easily had a normal cinema runtime, cameron is clearly jerking himself like he can do no wrong.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Now that it is out at home, I finally got a chance to watch this movie and I am glad I waited to watch the movie at home.

I paused it so many times because the movie just wasn't good. It is amazing in how it looks, I mean the effects are top notch. But, the story? Holy crap, it was just so bad.
    The story sucks, true. But you missed out if you haven't seen it in imax 3d. A close to VR experience. Almost... Avatar (-ish).
    /spit@Blizzard

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    The story sucks, true. But you missed out if you haven't seen it in imax 3d. A close to VR experience. Almost... Avatar (-ish).
    Sadly, I am one of those people who gets headaches watching a movie in 3D. I found this out when I saw Avatar in 3D.

Also, doesn't help that I have an hour drive to the nearest IMax theater.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

5+ Year Old Account
    Avatar 2 Blu-ray Release Date Potentially Revealed by New Listing (Rumor)

https://thedirect.com/article/avatar...y-release-date
    By Klein FeltPosted: May 03, 2023

After months of waiting, fans might finally know when Avatar: The Way of Water will release on Blu-ray.

James Cameron's Pandoran sequel just rounded out a record-breaking run at cinemas worldwide, becoming the third biggest movie of all time in the process.

However, details on what is next for Avatar 2 have been scarce. The film is now streaming on premium video-on-demand services (VOD), but not much in terms of a physical or Disney+ release has been made public.

Both Cameron and Disney have remained tight-lipped on the subject but with The Way of Water having released in theaters nearly five months ago, an update has to be on the way soon.

According to a new listing from Canadian distributor DealsAreUs, Avatar: The Way of Water will release on Blu-ray and 4K UHD physical formats on Tuesday, June 20.

This info was spotted by fans on the Blu-ray Forum before the date was ultimately pulled by the distributor.

No official release date for an Avatar 2 physical release has been announced by Disney; however, this could be the first hint at when audiences can expect to get their hands on James Cameron's sci-fi epic.

The original Avatar received a physical release 125 days after its theatrical debut.

If Avatar: The Way of Water had followed suit, it would have hit store shelves back on April 20 of this year; however, that date came and went with no Blu-ray release.

Why Fans Are Waiting for The Way of Water Blu-Ray
    While some will scoff at the idea of fans waiting for the physical release of Avatar: The Way of Water, there is actually plenty of reason to be excited to pick up that Blu-ray disc.

Avatar is a franchise that prides itself on its visuals. Series director James Cameron has made his feelings known about - what he calls - the "sacred" experience of heading to the theater, and in a lot of ways, Blu-ray (more specifically 4K UHD) is about the closest one can get to emulating that theater experience at home.

While fans can watch a decent enough version of the movie, renting the 4K release from their VOD store of choice, streaming infrastructure is still unable to 100% recreate the color accuracy and visual fidelity someone can get playing a movie on a disk.

As for if this June date is real or not, it certainly seems like it is. The fact that the distributor that 'leaked' the date hastily pulled it shortly after fans noticed, tells a lot.

So for those eager to pick up that Avatar 2 Blu-ray, it looks as though June 20 will be the day.

It will be the first movie I buy on Bluray since the Hobbit.

I'm pretty much torn between buying the BRs as they come or waiting for the full pack that will inevitably come in a few years, but that means waiting for the next sequels and pray they don't suck