Thread: I like Anduin !

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

I like Anduin !

Just hit 110 and started levelling on alliance, I must say, I really like Anduin, really don't understand the hate.

What's so bad about having a kind and optimistic leader? And he is written to be quite intelligent, which is cool, since he is not the Grrr, roarrr, smash warrior type.

He is the type of leader a kingdom would want, good, kind hearted and wise. He isn't afraid to step up either to fight, but only if he absolutely must. Also willing ot offer his enemies a hand if it would help bring peace of if their plight is just.

This is the type of leader you really want. Why the hate? He also looks cool in the cinematic.

I don't mind his character so much but his passiveness. He's on the reacting end of events instead of taking the initiative. And his endless belief in people, good or bad, is tiresome. As far as I'm concerned his best moments are the ones where his human anger seeps out, like silencing Genn in Lordaeron to deliver Sylvanas his non-negotiable ultimatum, or his frustration and anger in 8.3's patch trailer (although that was N'Zoth-induced). Anduin is a mortal human with the most stressful job in the Alliance, so we should definitely see cracks in his mental armor every now and then. The world isn't very accommodating to idealism.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

I am neutral about him, I don't hate him nor do I really care about him that much. But I don't like how Blizzard doesn't let other allied leaders advise him. Experienced war veterans like Alleria, Turalyon, and Muradin (these are all big names of the Second War) should have more scenes with him, where they advise him on matters of war. Anduin is surrounded by these experienced generals but he never asks for their aid. I am optimistic that they will include more scenes like this in the future, because at least in 8.2.5 Alleria advised Anduin to make an armistice with Sylvanas, so maybe their talent won't go wasted.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by Zuben View Post
    I don't mind his character so much but his passiveness. He's on the reacting end of events instead of taking the initiative. And his endless belief in people, good or bad, is tiresome. As far as I'm concerned his best moments are the ones where his human anger seeps out, like silencing Genn in Lordaeron to deliver Sylvanas his non-negotiable ultimatum, or his frustration and anger in 8.3's patch trailer (although that was N'Zoth-induced). Anduin is a mortal human with the most stressful job in the Alliance, so we should definitely see cracks in his mental armor every now and then. The world isn't very accommodating to idealism.
    The problem is wow really only focuses on war. I had the same issue trying to explain to people about Shen'dralar magic. You don't see the greatness of the Elven magic, especially from returned likes of highborne etc because most of their exploits are creative based. They aren't fighters. The Moonguard were fighters, so when they show up, you see them great at fighting in 7.0

Anduin has the wisdom to be a great leader, in more than just war. However his war ethos is pretty solid. The alliance has never been victorious agains ththe horde, but I read that in the Battle for Dazar'alor, the alliance won , even though that didn't last through no fault of Anduin's. He takes measured and sensible approaches. It's okay to want to pursue peace. He has no idea the dev writers would never let him achieve his goals though.

I feel for him.

Loved Sylvie when she says "muzzle your dog, your majesty"

Anduin wimp and coward
    Legion: afk throne room
    BFA: crying like bitch
    Shadowlands: afk throne room

nice king LOL

7+ Year Old Account
    I like Anduin. He's a sensible level head amidst all the warmongerers. He's not perfect, but he tries.

There is no hatred, just closet-cases like this guy:

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry123 View Post
    Anduin wimp and coward
    Legion: afk throne room
    BFA: crying like bitch
    Shadowlands: afk throne room

nice king LOL
    Check his post history, and you'll see the caliber of people who "hate" Anduin.

All in all I think Anduin's fine.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    The problem is wow really only focuses on war. I had the same issue trying to explain to people about Shen'dralar magic. You don't see the greatness of the Elven magic, especially from returned likes of highborne etc because most of their exploits are creative based. They aren't fighters. The Moonguard were fighters, so when they show up, you see them great at fighting in 7.0

Anduin has the wisdom to be a great leader, in more than just war. However his war ethos is pretty solid. The alliance has never been victorious agains ththe horde, but I read that in the Battle for Dazar'alor, the alliance won , even though that didn't last through no fault of Anduin's. He takes measured and sensible approaches. It's okay to want to pursue peace. He has no idea the dev writers would never let him achieve his goals though.

I feel for him.

It really comes down to his image as the "boy-king". He's a man for certain, that much one should take from the events of BFA. But he needs to carry himself and his position with that strength rather than speak peace and have his subordinates do the heavy lifting. Anduin didn't really route Sylvanas's army in Lordaeron like Genn claimed, it was more Jaina and Alleria+void elves that did that. Where Sylvanas planned and carried out contingencies, Anduin was always bailed by others. There is no discernible reason for him to call the shots as long as he doesn't have the chops for it. The one thing he himself succeeded in was pushing Saurfang to oppose Sylvanas. Someone with the same status as Anduin Lothar and Varian Wrynn should be able to do more. I believe Anduin can, the writers just need to take him there.

But was where Dalaran?

10+ Year Old Account
    I like team alliance and horde on peace in general
    but i hate anduin still, he is a kid who is acting like boy
    but i admit since day one i hated how alliance are very obvious self-inserted writers fantasy characters, a 10k years old race and a literal immortal race and who lead alliance ? the lowest lifespan race with the least ability to learn, humans are curious yes but there is no way in egypt (since egypt is worse than hell) that they outsmart a nelf, nelfs are 10k years old on azeroth, if learn 1 word a day they still will learn more than a human learn in his entire life
    tldr: i hate humans be the center of alliance in general not Anduin specifically, Anduin is what i wish Benedicus been and i hate what they did to Benedicus, he was my most fav alliance leader
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Quote Originally Posted by Zuben View Post
    It really comes down to his image as the "boy-king". He's a man for certain, that much one should take from the events of BFA. But he needs to carry himself and his position with that strength rather than speak peace and have his subordinates do the heavy lifting. Anduin didn't really route Sylvanas's army in Lordaeron like Genn claimed, it was more Jaina and Alleria+void elves that did that. Where Sylvanas planned and carried out contingencies, Anduin was always bailed by others. There is no discernible reason for him to call the shots as long as he doesn't have the chops for it. The one thing he himself succeeded in was pushing Saurfang to oppose Sylvanas. Someone with the same status as Anduin Lothar and Varian Wrynn should be able to do more. I believe Anduin can, the writers just need to take him there.
    That isn't a weakness or deficit, but a strength. Anduin chose to accept the Void elves, willingly, not even grudgingly. Trusted Alleria 100% and Velen's counsel as well as Turalyon's where other leaders would have spurned her, like SOME of her own kin [rommath then Lor'themar]. THis in turn is rewarded when Alleria shows up with a full contingent of Void elves that help turn the tide.

Same with "Aunt" Jaina. Jaina who until then stayed out of alliance matters and affairs, but dear God Nephew Anduin is in trouble, regardless of the alliance not listening earlier, she comes. I can see her totally taking extra measures JUST because it's Anduin.

Baine too. Anduin's entire behaviour in that whole event, not only keeps the horde, but reforms it, for the better too. Sure you could argue he should have crushed the horde unlike all alliance leaders before him. But he values life and giving people a chance, no matter how different they are or how checkered their past is.

I didn't like how he compared the horde's crimes to the alliances though, that was bad, the horde has done way worse., but his point would have been the alliance is not innocent, certainly not by their own standards of morality (which are clearly a lot higher).

I resepct him for all that, but he also fights when he has to, and goes intot he middle of the battle, so he's no pussy either, he is a good King.

That isn't a weakness or deficit, but a strength. Anduin chose to accept the Void elves, willingly, not even grudgingly. Trusted Alleria 100% and Velen's counsel as well as Turalyon's where other leaders would have spurned her, like SOME of her own kin [rommath then Lor'themar]. THis in turn is rewarded when Alleria shows up with a full contingent of Void elves that help turn the tide.

Same with "Aunt" Jaina. Jaina who until then stayed out of alliance matters and affairs, but dear God Nephew Anduin is in trouble, regardless of the alliance not listening earlier, she comes. I can see her totally taking extra measures JUST because it's Anduin.

Baine too. Anduin's entire behaviour in that whole event, not only keeps the horde, but reforms it, for the better too. Sure you could argue he should have crushed the horde unlike all alliance leaders before him. But he values life and giving people a chance, no matter how different they are or how checkered their past is.

I didn't like how he compared the horde's crimes to the alliances though, that was bad, the horde has done way worse., but his point would have been the alliance is not innocent, certainly not by their own standards of morality (which are clearly a lot higher).

I resepct him for all that, but he also fights when he has to, and goes intot he middle of the battle, so he's no pussy either, he is a good King.
    Having allies is a strength, not including them into your battle strategy isn't. If Jaina and Alleria had been planned contingencies then Anduin would deserve credit for their deeds, but they weren't. As the one everyone looks up to Anduin should be more than just someone people like. It's not enough that he personally participates in battles, he also needs to plan them out so that his side not only wins but walks out of it with minimal casualties. Anduin's plan for taking Lordaeron was face-rolling it with sheer force, which backfired immediately. The Alliance won the battle because unused assets acted on their own. In other words, Anduin was bailed.

As for the Rebels, they didn't turn against Sylvanas because Anduin is such a swell guy, but because Sylvanas was too horrible for them. Baine fought the Alliance in Lordaeron same as the rest and was the ambassador to get Zandalar to join the war effort. Anduin's merit in the mix was that they could trust his honor, but that's it.

As for crushing the Horde, Alliance was never in a position to do so this time around. There were some mixed signals concerning this, as Alliance cutscenes tell the Horde was losing on all fronts, but the cinematics, especially the final war campaign ones, paint the situation as bleak. After Sylvanas had peaced out Orgrimmar was still too heavily defended for the Alliance forces onsite to take it. Also without Rebel aid since they'd understandably switch sides at that point. With the main instigator for the war out of the picture the most sound road ahead was armistice.

But was where Dalaran?

5+ Year Old Account
    What's so bad about having a kind and optimistic leader?
    Kind, optimistic leaders aren't made for war times, and usually fail badly in those circumstances. I can't remember a single one since at least the times of ancient Greece. Anduin not only doesn't fail, but also doesn't seem to even struggle.

And he is written to be quite intelligent.
    He's so intelligent that he sent his army entirely unprepared for blight attacks to the city where blight is made. If it hadn't been by Jaina's deus ex machina, his army would have been obliterated. Also not pushing his advantage after BoD just because Trolls would be sad was just like... wtf?

he is not the Grrr, roarrr, smash warrior type.
    Grrr, roarrr, smash warrior types are usually bad, sure. Doesn't imply that the exact opposite has to be necessarily good though.

He is the type of leader a kingdom would want, good, kind hearted and wise. He isn't afraid to step up either to fight, but only if he absolutely must.
    Maybe during peace times, but right now he's like a bad copy of Faramir (from LotR). At least Faramir was forced to learn his way with a sword or a bow, while Anduin was never featured as a good fighter. Even during the BfA intro, it was very clear that direct combat was not his forte, but rather his holy magic - only to be shown smashing big tanks (with a freaking sword nonetheless) during the siege of Lordaeron. Man, teh boi sure learns fast.

Also willing to offer his enemies a hand if it would help bring peace of if their plight is just.
    All too willing, I'd say. He was so eager so help Sadfang & co., that he forgot about his own allies *cough* nelfs *cough*, and went to the point of honouring Sadfang's funeral with his presence. Yes, the same guy that lay waste to Ashenvale and Darkshore.

This is the type of leader you really want.
    That is the problem, really. He's too nice, too perfect (yes, he has flaws, but since they don't carry any actual consequences, they might very well not exist at all), everyone has to agree with him because he can't be possibly be wrong. He's the embodiment of a Purity Sue, which I don't really find hate-worthy, but rather boring af.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    All too willing, I'd say. He was so eager so help Sadfang & co., that he forgot about his own allies *cough* nelfs *cough*, and went to the point of honouring Sadfang's funeral with his presence. Yes, the same guy that lay waste to Ashenvale and Darkshore.

That is the problem, really. He's too nice, too perfect (yes, he has flaws, but since they don't carry any actual consequences, they might very well not exist at all), everyone has to agree with him because he can't be possibly be wrong. He's the embodiment of a Purity Sue, which I don't really find hate-worthy, but rather boring af.
    I think honouring Sadfang was a mistake by him, that's the only thing I feel he went too far and should not have done, given that this was the general who willingly ledan army to slaughter his allies, even though Saurfang seeks amends later, the friendship bond is not nearly long or strong enough to justify the alliance leader being that. It is a great gesture though.

TOo nice can be a flaw I am discovering.

Which people should realise he is not perfect. He is too nice.. that is also a flaw in this kind of world.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    I like team alliance and horde on peace in general
    but i hate anduin still, he is a kid who is acting like boy
    but i admit since day one i hated how alliance are very obvious self-inserted writers fantasy characters, a 10k years old race and a literal immortal race and who lead alliance ? the lowest lifespan race with the least ability to learn, humans are curious yes but there is no way in egypt (since egypt is worse than hell) that they outsmart a nelf, nelfs are 10k years old on azeroth, if learn 1 word a day they still will learn more than a human learn in his entire life
    tldr: i hate humans be the center of alliance in general not Anduin specifically, Anduin is what i wish Benedicus been and i hate what they did to Benedicus, he was my most fav alliance leader
    All true. The Nelves should not be in the alliance, not the entire race. Only a promising group of youngsters should have joined, while the ancients remain far above faction matters.

They transferred their self-inserted fantasy characters to the horde from TBC onwards.. I give them this, they don't know how to be even... you have clear favourites and second fiddle. It was the same with class design, WC1- Classic , was clear alliance favouritism, horde were the evil faction turned outcast monstrous misfits. TBC to present, it's clearly horde, alliance are an unbalanced poorly written and accounted for after thought fuelling the horde narrative (which for all their efforts isn't that enjoyable even - horde is suffering from being the focus, but the focus they are !!)

To be fair, he probably wasn’t expecting Sylvanas to use the plague on her own troops. And, while you might disagree with what he did with saurfang, it did set the stage for Sylvanas’s eventual downfall, so there’s that.
    Last edited by Drakain; 2020-02-21 at 09:45 PM.

If you mean Anduin Lothar, yes, I like him too. Anduin Wrynn? Nope, too much of a kid, his innocence will be his undoing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    There is no hatred, just closet-cases like this guy:

Check his post history, and you'll see the caliber of people who "hate" Anduin.

All in all I think Anduin's fine.
    holy shit its like stepping into an anduin sized twilight zone. this dude is obsessed with him lol.
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

I feel for him.

Anduin's sacrifice of tens of thousands in Zandalaar just to kill the king which ended up uniting the Horde with his daughter becoming queen was TOP TIER strategy. And sending all the troops to Silithus (middle of nowhere) leaving Darkshore completely vulnerable was also TOP TIER STRATEGY. Also not bringing gas masks against Sylvanas was TOP TIER STRATEGY. "Measured and sensible" Kappa
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2020-02-21 at 10:07 PM.

Yeah, it's nice that he's willing to offer his enemies a hand.

Would be even better if he had offered his ALLIES (aka nelves) a hand. Unfortunately he let them be slaughtered by the Horde in cold blood. He probably didn't even lose any sleep over it.

Tell me, what reason could any nelf have to possibly want this douchebag of a traitor as their leader? Yeah, right, none.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Runstarr View Post
    If you mean Anduin Lothar, yes, I like him too. Anduin Wrynn? Nope, too much of a kid, his innocence will be his undoing.
    His innocence, or obsession with it, already was the undoing of so many. Good for him, there's alway someone else to pay for his mistakes and his obsession with being goody two shoes.

Just hit 110 and started levelling on alliance, I must say, I really like Anduin, really don't understand the hate.

What's so bad about having a kind and optimistic leader? And he is written to be quite intelligent, which is cool, since he is not the Grrr, roarrr, smash warrior type.

He is the type of leader a kingdom would want, good, kind hearted and wise. He isn't afraid to step up either to fight, but only if he absolutely must. Also willing ot offer his enemies a hand if it would help bring peace of if their plight is just.

This is the type of leader you really want. Why the hate? He also looks cool in the cinematic.
    Because of the vocal few people online who have to flood every single thread to whine about Human Potential (TM) and/or bring up thinly veiled political-based insults like calling him and others 'beta' or 'weak.' Shockingly they are almost exclusively Sylvanas or Garrosh fanboys.

They're few in number but scream on every single thread, so people think there are actually a lot more then there are.

Anduin's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Anduin's sacrifice of tens of thousands in Zandalaar just to kill the king which ended up uniting the Horde with his daughter becoming queen was TOP TIER strategy. And sending all the troops to Silithus (middle of nowhere) leaving Darkshore completely vulnerable was also TOP TIER STRATEGY. Also not bringing gas masks against Sylvanas was TOP TIER STRATEGY. "Measured and sensible" Kappa
    Not to mention going to the UNDERCITY without gas masks instead of aiding his allies and kicking the Horde out of nelf lands.