Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    So you say "booted from", yet the article states "he is stepping down".. Ah, so if i say "i'm stepping down from raiding anymore" does that mean i've been booted out from a raid group and it's not actually my decision to stop doing it??

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Eh, it lasted a few seconds. Consider that Iron Man, Cap and Thor each had minutes' worth of brawling with Thanos. The all-women team was barely a wink at the audience.
    Sure. But it felt forced, contrived and just unnecessary. I love female characters, it was just this forced moment of "we are girls and strong and we can stand on our own". I already know they can stand on their own. They've been doing it for several years in the MCU now.

This is just my opinion, mind you. It just feels like gender politics. And while I think equivilency is important, I think there are better ways to do it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chubbybunny View Post
    So you say "booted from", yet the article states "he is stepping down".. Ah, so if i say "i'm stepping down from raiding anymore" does that mean i've been booted out from a raid group and it's not actually my decision to stop doing it??
    Saying "booted from" is a juicier headline though so more people will view your thread. =/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakshana View Post
    Sure. But it felt forced, contrived and just unnecessary. I love female characters, it was just this forced moment of "we are girls and strong and we can stand on our own". I already know they can stand on their own. They've been doing it for several years in the MCU now.

This is just my opinion, mind you. It just feels like gender politics. And while I think equivilency is important, I think there are better ways to do it.
    No more forced that any other campy joke or reference shoe horned into that or any Marvel movie. Most of the end sequence was long shots of fan service and cheesy references. ALL of it is pandering to the audience.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Seems like he just sped up his retirement. CEO's don't just get fired (or pressured to resign) without real good cause, and a floundering Star Wars trilogy aint that when so much else went right.

So...unlikely you all will get the change you are looking for.
    This. When Marvel is delivering one smash hit after another (Endgame currently holds top dog in the entire film industry in terms of box office performance, having ousted Avatar), Pixar is delivering one smash hit after another, Star Wars is delivering smash hits like Rogue One despite the main entries stumbling, and even then TLJ and RoS still made a fuckload of money, Disney isn't going to boot out the CEO because a bunch of people on the internet are whining about 'Muh esjaydubyuhs.'

Hard truth time: Corporations don't care about social politics. They put things into their films that they think are going to attract more people to watch them, because more asses in seats means more money for the studio. If you honestly think Disney's push for diversification came about because a bunch of nameless nobodies on Tumblr screamed about there not being enough black people in Iron Man 2 rather than because they realized it could get more people to spend money, you need to go the fuck outside and exist in real society for a couple days rather than whatever screeching echo chamber you built for yourself. If you think a second group of nameless nobodies on the internet screaming about 'Muh esjaydubyuhs' is going to get them to stop doing that, you absolutely need to go outside and interface with normal people for a change.

For the Mouse, money is king. Everything else is secondary, and you're a fool if you've convinced yourself otherwise.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    They got their money back, at the cost of alienating the fanbase.
    I dont believe they've got their money back yet given how little has paid out from investments: merchandise and toys arent selling and they keep dumping money into advertisement which doesn't pay out. They had a big bump at the start, but then all movies kept reducing confidence and interest in the series.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Luke and Anakin were just as much "mary sues".

And sure, toy sales are down, but Star Wars doesn't stand out any more. If you're in your 30s or older, you grew up with the OT, and Star Wars was absolutely iconic, and set new standards for effects.

Today? Not so much. The story's never been the primary draw; that's why niche characters like Boba Fett became a huge "thing" in the community, even when Fett, in the OT, is basically a complete dope. Imagery was what fueled Star Wars. And the effects don't stand out any more. The effects are right on-par with other great films like Jupiter Ascending or Valerian: City of A Thousand Planets or John Carter. How were the toy sales from those IPs? And yes, "great films" was deliberately tongue-in-cheek.

Seriously, go Watch A New Hope with open eyes, sometime. The acting (aside from Guiness) is often terrible, the dialogue is atrocious, and the story is incredibly generic, even for the time. What made it iconic was the cinematography and the effects, visuals like Darth Vader's look, lightsabers, the ship designs, etc. Not story. The story's always been mediocre at best.

And frankly, if you're gonna make me rank the trilogies, it's gonna be Eps 4-6 at the top, eps 7-9 second, with the prequels pulling up a distant third. People forget how terrible the prequels were, and how much flak they got, and try and hold the newer films not to that standard, but the standard of their childhoog nostalgia, which isn't even real. That's the same childhood that thought He-Man was super awesome.

The newer films had the same problem as the prequels. The rabid fanbase demanded perfection, and the kids are just there for flashy effects. And today, there's a lot more options for "flashy effects", and a lot more content aimed at those kids, so expecting toy sales to keep up with the OT's is just . . . not tenable.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't say Rey was "terrible". Bland, yes. Absolutely bland. She's Luke, without the inner conflict. Rey isn't a shit sandwich. She's a microwave burrito. You can eat it, but, like, you're not gonna enjoy it enough to want more.

Still better than prequels Anakin, though. I've tried getting through the Clone Wars and it's tough, because you just wanna slap him all the damn time. He doesn't come off as dangerous, he comes off as an edgelord dork.

And yes to the "no overall vision". It needed to either be Abrams for three films, or Rian Johnson for three films. Not back and forth without holding themselves to a single plan. As much as I'll defend the sequels, this was a fuckup. Not that the original trilogy was perfect; Lucas retconned Luke and Leia being siblings in RotJ. For the first two films, they weren't. This wasn't just a secret, it legitimately had not occurred to George Lucas at all. That's why it wasn't super icky for the two to have a long passionate kiss in ESB. They weren't siblings, when that scene was written and shot.
    For someone whose normally very thoughtful and well spoken on subjects, I feel you're just parroting what others have said in defense of the new star wars.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Hyeonh View Post
    I'm gonna have to call you out on that one, Luke needed support throughout all the films to get to where he's at by the end of new hope, he needed his ass bailed out by his friends and comrades on multiple occasions and he had lost badly several times too, and his journey was still a big struggle. He even lost to Vader in his first fight only surviving with losing a hand because his father was still interested in keeping him alive and continuing the sith legacy and had to be rescued by Leia.
    And Rey had the exact same issue? Kylo didn't kill her several times for similar reasons, and his goal wasn't to kill her anyway, it was to have her join him. And she wouldn't have gotten anywhere without anyone's help.

Hell, she flat out died at the end and was only saved by Kylo Ren.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttwitch View Post
    Could have been a good idea if he hadn't put Kathleen Kennedy in charge of it, who wrecked the entire Disney Star Wars movie series. "The force is female" and all that crap that didn't appeal to the actual Star Wars fans that pay for the tickets.

Hopefully this Chapek guy will focus on actually GOOD movies, not on woke movies.
    It's always funny when people do that to appease the minority who's the loudest. Do you know why those people are the loudest? cause your actual fans are happy that the lead currently isn't a mary sue with no lips, or a black stormtrooper with literally no point in existing.
    Imagine changing and ruining your newly bought franchise to appease the % that doesn't even LIKE STAR WARS lol.

That would be like Blizzard adding a new expansion with a new playable race and making it all female black amazons, then making the new warchief Thralls wife, the villian is Sylvannas, Anduin becomes black. You've now appeased the vocal SJW/Incels on twitter who don't even play WoW, Females who are already a small %, and african americans who don't even own computers. Guess you better hope those white nerds in their moms basements keep buying a product that is no longer made for them.

God you star wars fans are pathetic. This has nothing to do with star wars. Lucasfilms is one division of Disney.

Iger had said he was gonna retire soon. For whatever reason he's speeding that up. He conquered and can now ride off into the sunset

Quote Originally Posted by dipzz View Post
    It's always funny when people do that to appease the minority who's the loudest. Do you know why those people are the loudest? cause your actual fans are happy that the lead currently isn't a mary sue with no lips, or a black stormtrooper with literally no point in existing.
    Imagine changing and ruining your newly bought franchise to appease the % that doesn't even LIKE STAR WARS lol.

That would be like Blizzard adding a new expansion with a new playable race and making it all female black amazons, then making the new warchief Thralls wife, the villian is Sylvannas, Anduin becomes black. You've now appeased the vocal SJW/Incels on twitter who don't even play WoW, Females who are already a small %, and african americans who don't even own computers. Guess you better hope those white nerds in their moms basements keep buying a product that is no longer made for them.
    Are you aware what Incels are...? Because they'd be agreeing with you, not the "SJWs"...

And African Americans not owning computers was a new one. Thanks for that insight into the minds of you peeps though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyeonh View Post
    I'm gonna have to call you out on that one, Luke needed support throughout all the films to get to where he's at by the end of new hope, he needed his ass bailed out by his friends and comrades on multiple occasions and he had lost badly several times too, and his journey was still a big struggle. He even lost to Vader in his first fight only surviving with losing a hand because his father was still interested in keeping him alive and continuing the sith legacy and had to be rescued by Leia.
    Rey needed support, from both Luke and Kylo Ren, just in learning the Force, and that's before we get into all the other support she got.
    Rey lost several fights. Including her first with Kylo Ren, which she only survived because he wanted to capture her, not kill her.

You're using a double standard. That's my point. Not that Rey's a great and amazing character (I agree that she is not), but that the flaws people are pointing out are largely true of the original trilogy and characters, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakshana View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Saying "booted from" is a juicier headline though so more people will view your thread. =/
    Was it also gender politics in Infinity War when a bunch of Male characters worked together to get Mantis in a position to subdue Thanos?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Expected and fine, tbh. The franchise is still good, hence The Mandalorian. What is not good is the direction the franchise had until now. MAYBE they can do better with this series or whatever it is, if they fire Kathleen Kennedy. Thought apparently KK is tabula rasa at Disney, the Unfire-able.
    It's very much a salvageable franchise, but their want and desire to keep Kennedy is what will keep it from being what the diehard Star Wars fans know it can be. Retconning all the old extended universe lore really didn't help the franchise either. There's plenty of great works to draw inspiration from in the franchise, they could have easily adapted anything and made it work.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Could have been a good idea if he hadn't put Kathleen Kennedy in charge of it, who wrecked the entire Disney Star Wars movie series. "The force is female" and all that crap that didn't appeal to the actual Star Wars fans that pay for the tickets.

Hopefully this Chapek guy will focus on actually GOOD movies, not on woke movies.
    Another example of "When you go woke, you go broke" is Birds of Prey, a movie that audiences are avoiding both because it's very similar to the critically panned Suicide Squad and because of the feminist virtue signalling surrounding it. It also has such a toxic fanbase that they deliberately slandered the Sonic the Hedgehog movie and wrongly deemed it racist/homophobic to draw audiences away from seeing it.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    God you star wars fans are pathetic. This has nothing to do with star wars. Lucasfilms is one division of Disney.

Iger had said he was gonna retire soon. For whatever reason he's speeding that up. He conquered and can now ride off into the sunset
    Star Wars is arguably the largest individual IP that Disney owns. It's shown to be a massive cash cow when done correctly. But Disney has invariably screwed it all up and managed to not make money off their investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    And Rey had the exact same issue? Kylo didn't kill her several times for similar reasons, and his goal wasn't to kill her anyway, it was to have her join him. And she wouldn't have gotten anywhere without anyone's help.

Hell, she flat out died at the end and was only saved by Kylo Ren.
    Rey largely didn't need help no. At most her "Help" was being transported places, but even then its questionable if she needed anyone for that since she's somehow a fantastic pilot from the get go.If anything her "Help" kept getting in the way.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

This thread is nothing but forbidden topic discussions. I'll be closing this.