Poll: How do you think they should handle Transmog in SL?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What do you think will happen with Transmogrification in Shadowlands?

Most of us probably know by now that with Shadowlands, comes a level squish. The new max level will be 60, our current 120's will be turned into level 50's, and the rest will be converted down based on some currently unknown metrics and scale.

But what about Transmog? Do you think they'll simply make everything transmoggable from level 1, or will they still retain the level requirement?

Currently, level 60 is available at level 1. Will 70 be at level 10? What would you like them to do with the system?

10+ Year Old Account
    Won't their appearances be usable from the start due to the new leveling system? Considering all expansions are essentially becoming an individual leveling path to the new lvl 50 won't they just scale everything down so they won't have to worry about any gear being unusable? They might lock raid item appearances behind lvl 50 but I don't think it's likely they're going to arbitrarily lock certain appearances. Though now that I think of it, it won't surprise me if they take on that unnecessary task...
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Whatever they scale raids to is what xmogs from them will be. Some people are saying you can dig around on the armory to find some tenative levels for the raids post squish but we wont know for sure till we see an alpha or beta build of shadowlands.

Well, even though I'd love to be able to just access everything sans the current expansion's transmogs at level 1, the Raid level-angle sounds far more plausible.

But time will tell, they have after all been showing some lenience with transmog... Just look at the Yeti suit... <.<

I am pretty sure they will just scale the requirements down accordingly with raid level reqs, I don't think this is a controversial idea either.

Quote Originally Posted by Darknessvamp View Post
    Won't their appearances be usable from the start due to the new leveling system? Considering all expansions are essentially becoming an individual leveling path to the new lvl 50 won't they just scale everything down so they won't have to worry about any gear being unusable? They might lock raid item appearances behind lvl 50 but I don't think it's likely they're going to arbitrarily lock certain appearances. Though now that I think of it, it won't surprise me if they take on that unnecessary task...
    No.

You will be able to pick an expansion to level through, but each expansion will retain its non-scaled, set level of mobs/raids/quests that you will get if you enter the non-modified/non-scaled version of the zone. So for example, all WotLK raids will be level 40 or w/e.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Well, even though I'd love to be able to just access everything sans the current expansion's transmogs at level 1, the Raid level-angle sounds far more plausible.

But time will tell, they have after all been showing some lenience with transmog... Just look at the Yeti suit... <.<
    Well, as pointed out, there was a thread about the armory section having some awkward level labeling for older raids.

So I would think based on a bit of it-

BC/Wrath sets - level 20
    Cata/MoP - level 25
    WoD - level 30
    Legion - level 35
    BfA - level 50 I guess? A bit awkward of a jump there but only way it makes sense with the level squish.

BC/Wrath/Cata/WoD/Legion all have a raid labeled at those levels, so there's groundwork for that at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    each expansion will retain its non-scaled, set level of mobs/raids/quests that you will get if you enter the non-modified/non-scaled version of the zone. So for example, all WotLK raids will be level 40 or w/e.
    Where was this train wreck explained? Havent seen this mentioned by Bliz, havent looked that hard though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Well, as pointed out, there was a thread about the armory section having some awkward level labeling for older raids.

BC/Wrath sets - level 20
    Cata/MoP - level 25
    WoD - level 30
    Legion - level 35
    BfA - level 50 I guess? A bit awkward of a jump there but only way it makes sense with the level squish.

BC/Wrath/Cata/WoD/Legion all have a raid labeled at those levels, so there's groundwork for that at least.
    Thank you, that seems like the way it'll be then.

Considering the fact that they've said leveling will still be faster than in BfA, it's not a big deal to me at least. I'm already used to not having good looking sets until reaching the WOTLK-bracket.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post

BC/Wrath sets - level 20
    Cata/MoP - level 25
    WoD - level 30
    Legion - level 35

Could be bfa lvl40/45 and shadowlands 50, since you can already transmog bfa items currently when you hit 110.
    Last edited by Nnyco; 2020-03-09 at 01:50 AM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Squigglyo View Post
    Where was this train wreck explained? Havent seen this mentioned by Bliz, havent looked that hard though.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/content...oper-Interview

Here's the relevant bit:

If you aren't in Chromie time, zones will only scale up to the cap for that expansion. You can still level that way though!
    If you want to go back to Pandaria and farm for transmog or rares, you wouldn't want the zone scaling, so you need Chromie Time to scale it.

So "Chromie Time" is the mode that allows you to level through an expansion to 50, and without it it's just regular fixed level range.
    Last edited by Azerate; 2020-03-09 at 01:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/content...oper-Interview

Here's the relevant bit:

If you aren't in Chromie time, zones will only scale up to the cap for that expansion. You can still level that way though!
    If you want to go back to Pandaria and farm for transmog or rares, you wouldn't want the zone scaling, so you need Chromie Time to scale it.

So "Chromie Time" is the mode that allows you to level through an expansion to 50, and without it it's just regular fixed level range.
    Not sure how I feel about this.

Will we never again see actual, substantial changes to the game world as a result of Chromie? Or have I misunderstood... Entirely possible considering the pain meds...

15+ Year Old Account
    Whatever level the raid is considering you can get to 50 in a day

From my understanding leveling will function like this:

1-10 Starting zone(s).
    After this you will have 2 possible options:

1. To level the "Classic way", that is to go from expansion-to-expansion until you hit Shadowlands.
    2. Use "Chromie way", which is having whole expansion zones scaling 10-50. This mean that you can level 10-50 in whichever expansion you want/like.
    A lot of people are, obviously, saying that MOP/WoD would be the fastest/best ones due to Treasure Hunting and experience that they give.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Most of us probably know by now that with Shadowlands, comes a level squish. The new max level will be 60, our current 120's will be turned into level 50's, and the rest will be converted down based on some currently unknown metrics and scale.

But what about Transmog? Do you think they'll simply make everything transmoggable from level 1, or will they still retain the level requirement?

Currently, level 60 is available at level 1. Will 70 be at level 10? What would you like them to do with the system?
    The most logical thing to me, since all (except Shadowlands) expansions will now be playable at 10, is to make all stuff transmoggable at 10.

Not really that irksome anyway, since we could already transmog raid-level gear from Classic at level 10. If anything, it means we'll be able to have more freedom in choosing how we look, earlier on.

I think it's a good opportunity to remove the restriction, and it's something I think people if they don't already want it will want it eventually. It'd probably be a bit of work to adjust each piece of armor to specific levels, not to mention whatever errors come out as a result of that. I think it's best for the game if all appearances can just be made available whenever as you have already earned them and should be able to use them.

I want them to make all Vanilla items available 1-10 and then all expansion items available at 10. This way we get this short period of time to feel the "freshness" of our character and new players don't get overwhelmed seeing people decked out in legendaries at level 1.

OT: But if I have to choose between available at level 1 or staggered, I go for level 1. For me transmog is a source of immersion. And immersion is something I seek when leveling a new character. At max level few things manage to immerse me as a lot of content is either bland repetitive daily grind or group content. Only things like Suramar provide actual immersion at max level so the majority of times when I rely on my transmogs is at low levels :P
    Last edited by Shinrael; 2020-04-03 at 03:29 PM.

I have always thought they should split an items looks and iLVL apart. When you kill a boss you get something to level up the iLVL of your items to a max lvl for the raid tier. You could even have a way to edit the secondary stats if you wanted.

Then the looks of your gear you get from a different drop item, crafted item, vendor, game shop, etc. separate from the iLVL path.

Well, they could still apply some made up level scale. I mean the appropriate raid also most likely are going to have a level requirement.

But what does it matter and who cares? Currently even without the 100% XP buff you reach level 110 in around 30h casual play, we can assume the level time even breaks down significantly with Shadowlands. So let people wear whatever they want whenever they want for that tiny leveling window, I wasn't even aware there is a level restriction in place currently.

I'd be fine with it being completely open ended.
    What your character looks like with gear you yourself have grinded for shouldn't really hold much limitations.

Also remove restrictions from transmogging white items and event items. If you can transmog someone to be completely naked now, but not being able to transmog white gear, then something is off. I think it would open up a lot of new possibilites of how you want your character to look like.

Edit:
    One thing I just thought about, is that the latest gear you get in Shadowlands, AKA the level 60 stuff, should NOT be transmoggable until that level of tier is over. Say, you have a full set from the first raid, you should not able to transmog out of it or into it until the next tier is released. Would bring back some of the "cool" factor of having difficult to get gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabby
    I'm Commander Crabby, and this is my favorite forum on the website.

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    Well, they could still apply some made up level scale. I mean the appropriate raid also most likely are going to have a level requirement.

But what does it matter and who cares? Currently even without the 100% XP buff you reach level 110 in around 30h casual play, we can assume the level time even breaks down significantly with Shadowlands. So let people wear whatever they want whenever they want for that tiny leveling window, I wasn't even aware there is a level restriction in place currently.
    Welcome to MMO-Champ, where major shitstorm threads get created over pretty irrelevant things. It does matter a tiny bit, because let's say there is this rare transmog in Legion raid that you are trying to get. Spending 10 hours on making a character to farm it vs. just making a fresh character and farming it makes a difference. Of course the latter won't be allowed, but people like to dream.

There is no real good reason why the requirements would be lifted. I think people assume that based on the incorrect assumption brought up multiple times in this thread - (All content except SL is level 10 content) which is easily debunked by 2 minutes of googling. Expansions scaling to your level is a special option you actually have to turn on for your own leveling experience. The zones, and their corresponding raids, will still have their proper level req. So far Blizzard has not given us any reason to believe otherwise. Now whether that would be a good idea or not is an entirely different thing, but it has always kind of been the philosophy of wow to keep the legacy content at its old level req. Now we get a level squish, but that does in no way imply that all the level reqs will get downgraded to 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Benitora View Post
    I'd be fine with it being completely open ended.
    What your character looks like with gear you yourself have grinded for shouldn't really hold much limitations.
    As mentioned above, people probably care more about the ease of farming said transmog, rather than actually equipping it on their low level toons.

Quote Originally Posted by Benitora View Post
    One thing I just thought about, is that the latest gear you get in Shadowlands, AKA the level 60 stuff, should NOT be transmoggable until that level of tier is over. Say, you have a full set from the first raid, you should not able to transmog out of it or into it until the next tier is released. Would bring back some of the "cool" factor of having difficult to get gear.
    That sounds as one of those elitist arguments that I disagree with on principle, but it also doesn't sound as very well thought through. This kind of change would only punish the people who are actually doing said current tier content, cause they wouldn't be allowed to transmog the gear they get in the raid. What's more, people who clear current content usually do so every patch. If this went through, I would never be allowed to change the looks of my character that is raiding on heroic levels. That means the return of being forced into looking as your newest class set. The whole reason transmog was added was to allow people to change that. Meanwhile, this would not affect people not doing the content at all, since they wouldn't have the access to the mogs anyway.