Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Dartz1979 View Post
    Well if thier ships have warp speed capablities then i do believe time travel could be possible.
    Star Wars ship entered hyperspace. It is another dimension reached by breaking the speed of light.

They aren't in real space anymore. Unlike Warp Speed, where iirc, they are still technically in real space.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Disney would never give the go ahead for a modern day character to be put in SWTOR, a time traveler would honestly be some of the worst storytelling this game has had, and that's a pretty low bar.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    Disney would never give the go ahead for a modern day character to be put in SWTOR, a time traveler would honestly be some of the worst storytelling this game has had, and that's a pretty low bar.
    Disney already gave the go ahead for time travel. The amusing part is that it involved Ashoka which is the same character the person wished to be in the game. The precedent for it to happen with the current story is there. SWTOR also is not considered to be part of "Canon" so they can do whatever they want and Disney is not bound by it.

Would it make sense for a permanent addition? No. But a recurring limited event sure.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

No. Lucasfilm doesn’t see it as canon there isn’t enough demand for it. FF 14 was a failed launch that they then remade from the ground up. And it didn’t have the whole canon/non-canon issue to contend with either. The game will just truck along.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    No. Lucasfilm doesn’t see it as canon there isn’t enough demand for it. FF 14 was a failed launch that they then remade from the ground up. And it didn’t have the whole canon/non-canon issue to contend with either. The game will just truck along.
    After Disney bought Lucasfilm, they kind of stated that SWTOR is kind of in its own world where it does not even need to be tied to the old Legends timeline.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Chumahki View Post
    I've played FFXIV post ARR, and I'm not impressed. WoW should in no way try to emulate FFXIV.

- - - Updated - - -

The major selling point of SWTOR is the existing content related to SWTOR. Resetting that would have huge financial implications. ARR was possible because no one gives a shit about FF. People care deeply about SW.
    Clearly. Thats why theres 15 (soon 16) mainstream titles and thousands of spin-off games. Clearly no one cares about FF as a franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    After Disney bought Lucasfilm, they kind of stated that SWTOR is kind of in its own world where it does not even need to be tied to the old Legends timeline.
    Probably even less reason for them to invest money in it. They're more likely to invest in newer games that add to this new canon.

FWITW, I would love a revamped SWTOR. But there's a couple limiting factors. Very expensive to do with EA/Bioware and it's PC only.

I think a big property like Star Wars will want games that can go across as many platforms as possible. I'd be in for a PS5 version tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably even less reason for them to invest money in it. They're more likely to invest in newer games that add to this new canon.

FWITW, I would love a revamped SWTOR. But there's a couple limiting factors. Very expensive to do with EA/Bioware and it's PC only.

I think a big property like Star Wars will want games that can go across as many platforms as possible. I'd be in for a PS5 version tbh.
    Pretty much. I don't see them fully reworking SWTOR.

Either it will continue as is for as long as it makes money, or they'll shut it down and 100% replace it
    –The Sith Code

Pretty much. I don't see them fully reworking SWTOR.

Either it will continue as is for as long as it makes money, or they'll shut it down and 100% replace it
    It's a pity, because I've had some superb gaming memories in SWTOR.

However, they've always been so bad at churning out content for the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a pity, because I've had some superb gaming memories in SWTOR.

However, they've always been so bad at churning out content for the game.
    I still play it. (I know shocking given my name and avatar)

It is fun, but honestly, it is sad EA gave up on it because despite it flaws, it had potential to be better.

I am excited for the change to how classes are handled in Legacy of the Sith as it would allow them to do something that other MMOs can do easily but SWTOR lacked (finally add new playable classes). As given how much they relied on voice acting, you couldn't just add a new classes and just that classes VA and characters, but had to go add to every quest that made specific mentions to a class.

Now that you have Story (which are the former base classes) and Combat Style (which is the essentially, the class now), they could if they wanted introduce a Tech Melee style or a Blaster Jedi into the game without the need to re-record lines.

But, given how EA is treating the game, while they COULD do it, they likely won't.
    –The Sith Code

I still play it. (I know shocking given my name and avatar)

It is fun, but honestly, it is sad EA gave up on it because despite it flaws, it had potential to be better.

I am excited for the change to how classes are handled in Legacy of the Sith as it would allow them to do something that other MMOs can do easily but SWTOR lacked (finally add new playable classes). As given how much they relied on voice acting, you couldn't just add a new classes and just that classes VA and characters, but had to go add to every quest that made specific mentions to a class.

Now that you have Story (which are the former base classes) and Combat Style (which is the essentially, the class now), they could if they wanted introduce a Tech Melee style or a Blaster Jedi into the game without the need to re-record lines.

But, given how EA is treating the game, while they COULD do it, they likely won't.
    How is that going to affect the PVP in the game? Mind you, it wasn't ever really renowned as supremely balanced. Was always janky.

10+ Year Old Account
    How is that going to affect the PVP in the game? Mind you, it wasn't ever really renowned as supremely balanced. Was always janky.
    I have no idea. I am not big into PvP. I only do it to on characters to get Pierce/M4 companion in KotFE.
    –The Sith Code

I have no idea. I am not big into PvP. I only do it to on characters to get Pierce/M4 companion in KotFE.
    Fair play. Are you on the EU or US servers? Or are they all one now?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibito View Post
    SWTOR is great ff14 is just not good i get people wanting it to be a good mmorpg to fight wow but it really isnt a good mmo SWTOR is way better.
    That must be why so many people really enjoy it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fair play. Are you on the EU or US servers? Or are they all one now?
    US server. There are only 5 (2 US, 3 EU, I think ... or was it 3 US or 2 US).
    –The Sith Code

From what I understand, it will make no difference. Again, I might be wrong, but what they are doing is that every story can be played by any class that falls under the same general category (force users vs non-force users in effect). So you can do the Trooper story while having the gameplay of a scrapper, or do the Sith Inquisitor story while playing as a Sith Juggernaut etc. You do NOT mix and match abilities, you just completely swap what your class/spec is.

And if the above is correct as I understand it, I fail miserably at getting why all this excitement for it. It's no new content or class additions or anything like that, just more rehashed everything, so unless you had a real boner for your Mercenary to be walking around with a sniper rifle or your trooper sucker punching people around and kicking them in the nuts, then... Anyway, each to their own I guess

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    First I think the game is great, and have been playing it over anything else lately.

But i wonder if with the coming high republic era of stories/movies if they could end SWTOR and re-launch as SWTHR with a new engine and modern features like account-wide chat, mounts, etc... (honestly the engine hurts it the most...)
    Never.
    1. Swotor never was the desaster ff14 was originally... that was a horrible game
    2. i think swotor is still mildly profitable
    3. the amount of money you have to put into an MMO is IMMENS! You need a studio with this kind of finances. Bioware is not that. And if EA makes it... well... i really doubt any western MMO fan would play it long as it will be monetized like a korean MMO or worse.
    4. I don't even think EA would fund something like that. To expensive despite maybe making money. Make more copy paste games. No reason to risk anything.
    5. Disney probably would have to agree... and well.. disney is not really a cooperative company. And even IF they would. It would be so fucking tame i don't think it would be much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Fkiolaris View Post
    From what I understand, it will make no difference. Again, I might be wrong, but what they are doing is that every story can be played by any class that falls under the same general category (force users vs non-force users in effect). So you can do the Trooper story while having the gameplay of a scrapper, or do the Sith Inquisitor story while playing as a Sith Juggernaut etc. You do NOT mix and match abilities, you just completely swap what your class/spec is.

And if the above is correct as I understand it, I fail miserably at getting why all this excitement for it. It's no new content or class additions or anything like that, just more rehashed everything, so unless you had a real boner for your Mercenary to be walking around with a sniper rifle or your trooper sucker punching people around and kicking them in the nuts, then... Anyway, each to their own I guess
    Wait so it’s basically cosmetic? Wonderful.

Wait so it’s basically cosmetic? Wonderful.
    Not just cosmetic. the story stays with the class the abilities and play-style change to the advanced class you choose.

Jedi knight story with a double bladed light-saber and Shadow abilities.

A nice Idea but it isn't adding earth shattering content. If you wanted to do the smuggler story but didn't like the weapon limitations you can now play your smuggler story as a assault cannon trooper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deln View Post
    Not just cosmetic. the story stays with the class the abilities and play-style change to the advanced class you choose.

Jedi knight story with a double bladed light-saber and Shadow abilities.

A nice Idea but it isn't adding earth shattering content. If you wanted to do the smuggler story but didn't like the weapon limitations you can now play your smuggler story as a assault cannon trooper.
    In and of itself? No.
    But, it could allow more combat styles to be introduced later (I don't see it happening), but this combat style update could do a ton for the life of the game.
    –The Sith Code