Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyx22 View Post
    Alright thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Anyways, after taking in a metric ton of advice, so far I've come to two possible builds. One is slightly more expensive for pretty strong upgrades because I've had numerous people recommend I future-proof my build. They are listed down below:

Cheaper build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fjfcyk

New Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/s2pLb8
    The cheaper build is good in my opinion. I really have nothing that I'd want to change in that build.

The more expensive build is quite pointless. Very marginal CPU upgrade, an X570 board and a slightly better version of a 5700XT just isn't worth $140 imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    The cheaper build is good in my opinion. I really have nothing that I'd want to change in that build.

The more expensive build is quite pointless. Very marginal CPU upgrade, an X570 board and a slightly better version of a 5700XT just isn't worth $140 imo.
    You are definitely right on the board. I looked into more information and apparently it's not really worth to upgrade to a x570 unless one plans on using PCIe 4.0. Still, I do think I am going to try to optimize my build as much as possible for a stronger gpu. I'm heavily considering making room for a rtx 2070s. I completely agree it's a lot more expensive, but I also hear Nvidia is just a lot safer at the moment compared to the 5700 xt. I will definitely be keeping an eye on how much the recent driver updates improve stability, though. They are supposed to have solved the majority of its stability issues.

So the 5700 xt gpus actually use PCIe 4.0. Would this be an issue considering the B450 supports up to 3.0?
    Last edited by Asphyx22; 2020-03-16 at 08:58 PM.

Alright thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Anyways, after taking in a metric ton of advice, so far I've come to two possible builds. One is slightly more expensive for pretty strong upgrades because I've had numerous people recommend I future-proof my build. They are listed down below:

Cheaper build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fjfcyk

New Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/s2pLb8
    For the future, just post the build. If you look at the top of the build, there is a line for "Markup"; hit the "T" button and copypasta.

You can put the in a quote ( [quote ] and [/quote ]) without the space to make them more visible/easier to read.

That way people dont have to shift back and forth between one tab and another.

Here's your "cheaper" list:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fjfcyk

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 33 eSports ONE (Black/Yellow) CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($81.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ B&H)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB PULSE Video Card ($393.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Silverstone Essential 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($92.99 @ Amazon)
    Monitor: ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($319.99 @ B&H)
    Keyboard: Redragon K552 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($27.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1435.88
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-16 16:57 EDT-0400
    Only issues i see here are pointless overspend on the particular 5700XT (by almost 50$), and i'd spend the extra 10$ on the Seasonic i recommended over that Silverstone (which is actually OEMed by Seasonic, but Silverstone doesn't offer as good a warranty).

I also wouldn't recommend that monitor, in particular. Even for a TN panel its got bad colors (as in, in comparison to OTHER TN panels, its bad).

I'd go with:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Cwg...onitor-s2417dg

Its a 24" 1440p, 144-165hz Freesync panel, and actually has GOOD color for a TN panel, (Not IPS quality, but as good as some VA panels) and its fully compatible with G-sync as well.

If you are stuck on 27", there is a 27" version (the S2719DGF) that is otherwise exactly the same.

At your budget range, i'd actually consider going with a basic 5700 (which you can grab for ~300$), flash it to near-5700XT performance (contrary to what the previous poster said on this topic, they are NOT actually the same exact card, the 5700 does have some cores cut, but it is ALSO power draw limited to artificially retard its performance, so flashing it can unlock that performance) and then early next year get a new GPU (like a 3070/3080) which will be substantially more powerful, and you should be able to resell your 5700 for ~150-200$.

I'd grab this 5700 and BIOS Flash it: https://www.newegg.com/msi-radeon-rx...IkmAS2LlwB5z2w

Buying a 2070/SUPER right now seems like a bad proposition; if you're going to stretch your budget, the only worthwhile upgrade is going straight to a 2080 SUPER, as the 2070 is only marginally faster than the 5700XT and about 100$ more even for the cheapest models.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2020-03-16 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    For the future, just post the build. If you look at the top of the build, there is a line for "Markup"; hit the "T" button and copypasta.

You can put the in a quote ( [quote ] and [/quote ]) without the space to make them more visible/easier to read.

That way people dont have to shift back and forth between one tab and another.

Here's your "cheaper" list:

Only issues i see here are pointless overspend on the particular 5700XT (by almost 50$), and i'd spend the extra 10$ on the Seasonic i recommended over that Silverstone (which is actually OEMed by Seasonic, but Silverstone doesn't offer as good a warranty).

I also wouldn't recommend that monitor, in particular. Even for a TN panel its got bad colors (as in, in comparison to OTHER TN panels, its bad).

I'd go with:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Cwg...onitor-s2417dg

Its a 24" 1440p, 144-165hz Freesync panel, and actually has GOOD color for a TN panel, (Not IPS quality, but as good as some VA panels) and its fully compatible with G-sync as well.

If you are stuck on 27", there is a 27" version (the S2719DGF) that is otherwise exactly the same.

At your budget range, i'd actually consider going with a basic 5700 (which you can grab for ~300$), flash it to near-5700XT performance (contrary to what the previous poster said on this topic, they are NOT actually the same exact card, the 5700 does have some cores cut, but it is ALSO power draw limited to artificially retard its performance, so flashing it can unlock that performance) and then early next year get a new GPU.

Buying a 2070/SUPER right now seems like a bad proposition; if you're going to stretch your budget, the only worthwhile upgrade is going straight to a 2080 SUPER, as the 2070 is only marginally faster than the 5700XT and about 100$ more even for the cheapest models.
    Okay cool. I'll make sure to link future builds that way in the future. I appreciate the tip.

I'm not actually buying anything right now. I won't have enough in my current budget for these builds for 2-3 months. I plan to have my PC sometime in the summer so I'm all set for Shadowlands pre-patch.

As for the monitor, the Viewsonic I have listed there is not the TN varient. It's IPS. Idk if that changes anything for you, though. Main reason I went for it was the reviews and it being a 27" 1440p 144hz 1ms IPS monitor for $300. I will keep the monitor you recommended in mind because it does look pretty cool haha.

I feel like there's no point in getting a 5700 and then buying a new gpu next year. I want a gpu that will last me at least 2-3 years.
    Last edited by Asphyx22; 2020-03-16 at 09:22 PM.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    Its much easier to understand the "QUALITY" if you assume every part got some quality/design/compatibilitys issues and you only have to decide what issue you buy into.

Avoid basicly every product that got only positive reviews/feedback and not even one problem - thats just marketing. If you got a unique configuration that nobody has or got issues with, its most likely you did something wrong or you are the guinea pig for new parts without any consumer feedback.

PC parts are cheap, replaced with multiple revisions all the time and are a work in progress for the hardware development. Choose a configuration with known issues you can live with and don't be naive and expect to be "lucky" with your unique 1min-created configuration.

Price/Brands are not really anything you can go for, since "brands" are built with marketing and dont need/want to spend everything in quality management.

Just a small reminder, you asked for a PC configuration in a gaming forum, while there are millions of plattforms with tech-savvy users and many times direct communication with the hardware/firmware developers. I don't really understand how you think this is a good idea in the first place for your first build.
    What the hell are you smoking?
    OP don't listen to this guy. He has NO idea of what he's talking about
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Okay cool. I'll make sure to link future builds that way in the future. I appreciate the tip.

I'm not actually buying anything right now. I won't have enough in my current budget for these builds for 2-3 months. I plan to have my PC sometime in the summer so I'm all set for Shadowlands pre-patch.
    Then its rather an exercise in futility at the moment as there are new product launches coming for pretty much every component except CPUs, in the next 3-4 months (or, at the very least, announcements and performance knowledge, even if Covid 19 slows down actual releases).

As for the monitor, the Viewsonic I have listed there is not the TN varient. It's IPS.
    Call and verify, because everywhere im seeing it, the IPS version is 450$.

Idk if that changes anything for you, though. Main reason I went for it was the reviews and it being a 27" 1440p 144hz 1ms IPS monitor for $300. I will keep the monitor you recommended in mind because it does look pretty cool haha.
    Its not really 1ms. They are using a VERY suspect measurement style (MPRT) to get that "1ms" rating. That being said, unless you have WAY better eyes than most people, you wont notice a difference between 1ms and 5-7ms IPS panels. I certainly cant, so i wouldnt worry about it being "true" 1ms or not. If that pricing IS available on the IPS version, jump on it. 144hz IPS below 500$ is pretty rare. If you do decide to go with the Dell, you wont be dissapointed. I have the G-sync version of the 27" (S2716DG) - its the exact same panel as the Freesync version, it just has the G-sync module, i just bought it before nVidia supported Freesync or i'd have got the Freesync version just in case i switched vendors) and its a great monitor. It frequently goes on sale for ~300$. Like i said, its colors are a lot better than most TNs. Not as good as high-end IPS or VA, but sitting next to my daily driver Mac and its 25" 1440p IPS display (just a 60hz from ASUS), which is a "mid-range" IPS (it was ~400$ when new, a few years back), its -almost- as good, after some calibrating.

I feel like there's no point in getting a 5700 and then buying a new gpu next year. I want a gpu that will last me at least 2-3 years.
    The point being, to get your rig off the ground, and then replace it with something that will ACTUALLY last you 3+ years.

Given that the 3000 series from nVidia is shaping up to be a 25-40% performance gain at each product segment, next year youll be able to get a "3070" that performs roughly like a 2080Ti does right now. For ~500$.

Right now, 500$ only gets you a 2070 which will be weaker than a 3060. And going lower than that (in the 290-350 range, as there is, inexplicably, no ~400$ range GPU from either company at the moment) does NOT get you a GPU that will last through 1440p high refresh for 2-3 years.

Hell, if it makes you feel better, if you buy a 5700/XT (flashed 5700 or a true XT), ill commit to buying it from you for 150$ next year. Itll make a great update to my son's rig since he only plays at 1080p (hes currently running a GTX 970; hes gonna have to buy his own 1440p monitor if he wants to step up).

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Given that the 3000 series from nVidia is shaping up to be a 25-40% performance gain at each product segment, next year youll be able to get a "3070" that performs roughly like a 2080Ti does right now. For ~500$.
    I'm expecting announcements for the new 3000 series soon based on the leaks/rumors. My plan is to see if there will be a price drop in the 2000 series once that happens and go for a 2070s or 2080. Otherwise, I think I'm gonna have to stick with a 5700 or 5700 xt for a few years.

I just can't agree with the logic of throwing money at a graphics card I'll use for less than a year. I appreciate the offer, though.