Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    3+ Year Old Account

Why didn't the Blood Elves use their brainwashing techniques to the High Elves?

Since this question didn't get traction in the High Elf Megathread, I might as well ask it here instead.

It was so effective in the Bazaar like the pro-Alliance Blood Elves suddenly wants Alliance blood; this could basically lead all of the Thalassians back to their fold. The Kirin Tor pretty much didn't care that their own people were massacred in Ambermill and that Sylvanas mind controlled Koltira, so I doubt they'd even care about this if the Blood Elves did it.

Quel'lithien Rangers still hating Lor'themar? Zap!

Need a forward base in the Hinterlands? Zap!

That priest is still an Uther fanboy? Zap!

Some stubborn wife in Loch Modan chooses Alliance simps instead of her husband? Zap!

Want to secure a place in Dalaran and need to assure total approval from the neutral humans? Zap!

Purge of Dalaran? Zap!

Sylvanas wants her lil' sister back? Zap!

Basically they could just sneak some of their Priest Police towards the High Elf enclaves and unleash their mind wipes. Maybe this way the High Elves would have been erased out of existence completely or 99% at least.
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

I make Warcraft 3 Reforged HD custom models and I'm also an HD model reviewer.

not enough priests?
    anyway when sylvanas mindcontrolled koltira?

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by omeomorfismo View Post
    not enough priests?
    anyway when sylvanas mindcontrolled koltira?
    after the battle of Andorhal
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

Quote Originally Posted by Ardenaso View Post
    after the battle of Andorhal
    he was imprisoned.
    at best he was tortured until the dk questline

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by omeomorfismo View Post
    he was imprisoned.
    at best he was tortured until the dk questline
    didn't Sylvanas say something like she will "correct" him?

I always read it as she was breaking his spirit, thus correcting what she felt was the wrong behavior. Not any brainwashing or anything like that as when you rescue him, he's thrilled to see his brother in arms.

Perhaps the brainwashing is only temporary, like Anduin using Mind Control on Pandaria

Correcting someone doesn't need mind control, the dk questline makes it quite clear he is not mind controlled in any way, but she tortured him so bad he doesn't want to talk about it, just think about it if a death knight doesn't want to talk about torture and suffering, you know the guys doing the torture really know their jobs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Psykho View Post
    Perhaps the brainwashing is only temporary, like Anduin using Mind Control on Pandaria
    This most likely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    It's probably not permanent, and likely suffers from diminishing returns in the long term - not a viable solution to resolving the Blood/High Elven schism.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

the elves that pulled that little move were probably part of kael's sunfury.

that interaction has been in the game since the beginning of BC, right? before kael's revealed to be a traitor to the rest of the elves.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    the elves that pulled that little move were probably part of kael's sunfury.

that interaction has been in the game since the beginning of BC, right? before kael's revealed to be a traitor to the rest of the elves.
    that's weird, Kael'thas never became with the Horde. Also, Kath'mar made them say "for Lor'themar" and "for the Horde", not "for Kael'thas"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    I always read it as she was breaking his spirit, thus correcting what she felt was the wrong behavior. Not any brainwashing or anything like that as when you rescue him, he's thrilled to see his brother in arms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    Correcting someone doesn't need mind control, the dk questline makes it quite clear he is not mind controlled in any way, but she tortured him so bad he doesn't want to talk about it, just think about it if a death knight doesn't want to talk about torture and suffering, you know the guys doing the torture really know their jobs.
    I see I stand corrected. But still, if Dalaran didn't care about the Ambermill massacre, they wouldn't care about this too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    It's probably not permanent, and likely suffers from diminishing returns in the long term - not a viable solution to resolving the Blood/High Elven schism.
    Good answer. That or not enough priests, I'm thinking now that they should've at least used it on very important events like the Purge of Dalaran and when Vereesa was considering becoming Forsaken to join Sylvanas

10+ Year Old Account
    that's weird, Kael'thas never became with the Horde. Also, Kath'mar made them say "for Lor'themar" and "for the Horde", not "for Kael'thas"
    the blood elves as races pledged for the horde under the leadership of Kael'thas, who was back then the faction leader, Lor'themar did it in behalf of Kael'thas, he had the authority to do so and horde agreed on them joining to help them reach Kael in Outlands (u can even see that in the trailer, if it still exist, i have it offline on my pc)
    As for him shouting generic quotes that mostly due to in-game limitation nothing else, they won't invent new quotes for that guy specifically, specially way back then when quests was still very noobish, just check Garrosh model
    Also and most important : lorewise mind control doesn't work on strong will characters, no idea about current lore sadly but Mind Control isn't a magic zap wand as u make it appears, at best it change ur mind on short term of something u oppose
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Since this question didn't get traction in the High Elf Megathread, I might as well ask it here instead.

It was so effective in the Bazaar like the pro-Alliance Blood Elves suddenly wants Alliance blood; this could basically lead all of the Thalassians back to their fold. The Kirin Tor pretty much didn't care that their own people were massacred in Ambermill and that Sylvanas mind controlled Koltira, so I doubt they'd even care about this if the Blood Elves did it.

Quel'lithien Rangers still hating Lor'themar? Zap!

Need a forward base in the Hinterlands? Zap!

That priest is still an Uther fanboy? Zap!

Some stubborn wife in Loch Modan chooses Alliance simps instead of her husband? Zap!

Want to secure a place in Dalaran and need to assure total approval from the neutral humans? Zap!

Purge of Dalaran? Zap!

Sylvanas wants her lil' sister back? Zap!

Basically they could just sneak some of their Priest Police towards the High Elf enclaves and unleash their mind wipes. Maybe this way the High Elves would have been erased out of existence completely or 99% at least.
    My take? Because Blizzard decided to take the Cataclysm expansion to "brush under the rug" all the bad things that the blood elves did. As far as I know, those BE dissidents (and the priests that show up to mind-control them) have been removed from the game, post-Cataclysm. At least I don't recall seeing them when I made a new BE character.

On top of that, for as much as people like to complain about the Alliance (and more specifically, the humans), the blood elves have become just as much a "can-do-no-evil" entity as the humans, perhaps even more so. I mean... what was the last time the blood elves did something bad, intentionally? And I'm not talking about individuals, like the BEs that were Sylvanas loyalists, I'm talking about as a whole.

7+ Year Old Account
    Mind Control is probably a spell that can't be used on a lot of people at the same time nor is something that can be maintained indefinetly
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Post BC with the sunwell restored they really have taken the edge off of the blood elves in general.

Only works on the weak-minded?

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    I mean... what was the last time the blood elves did something bad, intentionally? And I'm not talking about individuals, like the BEs that were Sylvanas loyalists, I'm talking about as a whole.
    Fully supporting the war until after Nazjatar

They just used it to disperse the rabble rousers. Doubt it was permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    Fully supporting the war until after Nazjatar
    That's not exactly "bad", per se, if they believed that the war would bring peace in the long run, as per Sylvanas' "original plan" was supposed about.

Clarification: by "something bad", I mean something done for the sake of being "evil/bad", like torturing prisoners, mind-controlling citizens to make them conform, killing for the sake of killing, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post

Clarification: by "something bad", I mean something done for the sake of being "evil/bad", like torturing prisoners, mind-controlling citizens to make them conform, killing for the sake of killing, etc.
    By that definition they never did, they always had a reason or some kind of justification.

The kingdom was on the verge of collapse, hence the mind control, exile of dissenting elements
    Torturing for fun, they never did that. Out of hate sure and then the only thing that comes to mind would be during the second war, where they still counted as high elves
    Nor did they go around to randomly kill stuff, they experimented with nature or volatile magic, to find a way to sate magical hunger and that was mostly Kael's die hard guys.