Thread: 2020 Recession

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    I see a lot of articles these days about US workers desiring to keep working from home even after this passes. I hope people realize that pushing for such a change permanently can backfire spectacularly on them...

You've had people in charge of these businesses with mindsets stuck in the past thinking workers have to have an office environment and they have to be in person to get any work done... This pandemic has obviously demonstrated otherwise... From their perspective going forward, why pay Joe $25/hour to work remotely from his house when they can pay Sanjay $2/hour to work remotely from India?
    and then they can watch as no americans buy their products cause they can't afford them anymore.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    and then they can watch as no americans buy their products cause they can't afford them anymore.
    That will take longer than 1 quarter to happen, so the management isn't concerned about that.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

You can see what companies were prepared for this, and which ones are desperate.

Elon Musk is a perfect example of a panicking business owner. He's heavily leveraged on his deals, and owes a lot of investors a lot of promises. His growing hostility and attitude existed before the pandemic, but the last month has seen him clearly nervous that his house of cards is about to collapse. He's long been about putting himself as the brand, and trust in that brand has faltered. The Model 3 was not delivered as promised, and honestly, I expect car sales to suffer for a few more years from all of this. He's desperate to turn the lights on, because his juggling act has clearly exhausted him mentally.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    You can see what companies were prepared for this, and which ones are desperate.

Elon Musk is a perfect example of a panicking business owner. He's heavily leveraged on his deals, and owes a lot of investors a lot of promises. His growing hostility and attitude existed before the pandemic, but the last month has seen him clearly nervous that his house of cards is about to collapse. He's long been about putting himself as the brand, and trust in that brand has faltered. The Model 3 was not delivered as promised, and honestly, I expect car sales to suffer for a few more years from all of this. He's desperate to turn the lights on, because his juggling act has clearly exhausted him mentally.
    i cant blame him they are handing out immunity to lawsuits like candy at holloween i would want to reopen too, there is no risk !!!
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    i cant blame him they are handing out immunity to lawsuits like candy at holloween i would want to reopen too, there is no risk !!!
    I don't even think it's about immunity, I've seen that behavior in others, that is a fear of not being able to pay the bills.

That guy has bet everything on being able to deliver, and he managed to get investors. But, those investors expect results, and if he fails them, then the gravy train is done. He doesn't have billions and billions in the bank, it's all in his companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    The whole thing with Musk is weird supposedly he was just 10 days away from being allowed to open up.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    The whole thing with Musk is weird supposedly he was just 10 days away from being allowed to open up.
    That's going to be one of the biggest misconceptions looking back, that there was this gigantic difference in how long red/blue states stayed closed. In the end, the difference between the two will be about a week, but the narrative will show a much bigger difference. And, you can bet your ass it will be a huge election talking point.

That's going to be one of the biggest misconceptions looking back, that there was this gigantic difference in how long red/blue states stayed closed. In the end, the difference between the two will be about a week, but the narrative will show a much bigger difference. And, you can bet your ass it will be a huge election talking point.
    Not really a fair comparison the blue states got hit hard early and closed as a result most red states barely did anything have yet to hit their peak and are opening anyways.

Not really a fair comparison the blue states got hit hard early and closed as a result most red states barely did anything have yet to hit their peak and are opening anyways.
    The blue states did get hit first, and they will also likely get hit the hardest. By the time the red states got hit, they were able to rely more on the feds and the other blue states.

It's a pretty common issue, urban areas end up shouldering the burden, and taking the blame.

The blue states did get hit first, and they will also likely get hit the hardest. By the time the red states got hit, they were able to rely more on the feds and the other blue states.

It's a pretty common issue, urban areas end up shouldering the burden, and taking the blame.
    The red state outbreaks are going to be much worse than the blue states not only are their testing non existent they are under serviced when it comes to health care. All republicans are doing right now is suppressing the numbers so they don't look as bad not sure how long you can hide people dying exponentially every week. We will know how ugly it will get in 8-10 weeks.

The red state outbreaks are going to be much worse than the blue states not only are their testing non existent they are under serviced when it comes to health care. All republicans are doing right now is suppressing the numbers so they don't look as bad not sure how long you can hide people dying exponentially every week. We will know how ugly it will get in 8-10 weeks.
    The issue with being under-serviced won't be a problem, they will just ship the serious cases to the cities.

Republicans are hoping that the warmer weather will mute the spread, and claim victory through luck and random chance.