MMO resurgence from global quarantine?

I had a thought about the many millions of people sitting at home, potentially jobless and broke, looking for a way to pass the time until they're allowed to participate in society again:

Will there be a significant resurgence of MMO playing? Will it be a boon to companies that have struggled with competition from mobile games and other platforms?

I know the social distancing has me resubbed to WoW, even though I haven't had a consistent subscription since early MoP (have done a few 1 month stints back). If you have cash laying around, is it a possible investment to buy stock in companies that provide entertainment during lockdown?

Just curious what the thoughts were on this.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no plans to return to WoW.

On the contrary, I let my sub expire last night and don't plan to re-up it for now. With so much time being spent at home over the next several weeks I'd rather use it to explore other hobbies than spend it all running visions and WQs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't believe i will, i have a back log of hundreds of games and i would actually check out other mmo's if i had that interest. I read Warhammer has servers so that might seem fun with friends, Crowfall has a new beta coming up. WoW simply feels too much more of the same, if you want that you're probably better of trying classic maybe?

I will be more active on forums, take this forced month time off, to maybe learn a few things. Bought several online courses a while ago, one of which is drawing, some others more about investing and there's a few instruments collecting dust.

Great time to also do some yard work looking at the weather, if you have the materials since everything is closed.

I mean mmo's are in a weak spot atm, most are either super niche like albion online or black desert, blessed unleased (not blessed online) is looking good but its xbox exclusive. New World is mess by all reports and of course not even beta atm

meh..if I had home internet I might give WoW another shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    I have no plans to return to WoW.
    I too am not going back to that shell of a game, I would rather play other games as WoW absorbs too much time.

Seeing more people all around in-game, and it was already pretty busy so... Having tons of fun!

But I doubt there'll be some sort of "resurgence", the market is pretty stabilized at this point and very few are going to commit to an MMORPG over a temporary leave from work.

10+ Year Old Account
    More like a huge DOOM Eternal audience

Quote Originally Posted by Apollet View Post
    I had a thought about the many millions of people sitting at home, potentially jobless and broke, looking for a way to pass the time until they're allowed to participate in society again:

Will there be a significant resurgence of MMO playing? Will it be a boon to companies that have struggled with competition from mobile games and other platforms?

I know the social distancing has me resubbed to WoW, even though I haven't had a consistent subscription since early MoP (have done a few 1 month stints back). If you have cash laying around, is it a possible investment to buy stock in companies that provide entertainment during lockdown?

Just curious what the thoughts were on this.
    if you're broke, playing an MMO is the last thing you need to spend money on.

7+ Year Old Account
    I do play WoW a bit still, but, currently, since the quarantine, been playing FO4 more so than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    More like a huge DOOM Eternal audience
    Oh boy, this is something I can agree with you on for the whole 146%. Will make me not go insane sitting in my room...

But overall, whole gaming as such are seeing player surge, though that, I suppose, was very obvious to be coming.

My life goes on as usual so the same for me, still work and go out and shit. Not seeing much change at all in general to be honest.

Dont play wow anyways only some classic here and there, mostly Warhammer 2 Total War atm.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2020-03-18 at 11:24 PM.
    Do you hear the voices too?

7+ Year Old Account
    Children being at home during quarantine in the coming weeks is far better and healthier than being at our traditional schools. Structured education and involuntary school are a sick joke that does nothing except get kids to hate learning due to all the control and coercion and not letting young people persue their own intellectual curiosities.

Hopefully this virus is cured and people will realize just how unhealthy involuntary public school is and how nothing of value was lost during all these canceled school periods.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-03-19 at 12:56 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    No plans to return to WOW, or any Blizzard product (they are on permanent boycott). Right now I'm playing Ori and the Will of the Wisps, and that should hold me over until Resident Evil 3 remake comes out. And I know the virus stuff will be done with by the time I finish that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dragon Quest of the Stars has my interest. While Stamina is refilling I'm either putzing around on Warhammer or FF14. In early morning hours playing/trying to build on a Multi User Dungeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

I have been playing Diablo 3 for a month now... And will continue to do so in the new season. Haven't touched WoW in that month. I find Diablo 3 more fun atm.

At this moment, husband is still working out of the house and I am am working at home as I always do. We don't have any plans to resub to any MMO, there are plenty of other games to play and shows to watch to keep us busy in the evening/weekend.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure there will be some boost in subs to WoW at the very least but I unsubbed over a month ago and have no plans on resubbing until SL quarantine or not. I've got doom eternal and COD warzone to keep me occupied in the mean time