need build for 8-10 simultaneous vm's

i have a project im working on and for it id need to run 8-10 sessions of virtual machines with windows 10 at the same time each session's use will be mainly browsing etc no graphics or complicated stuff .

i have a good case (not sure of the fan conditions) and maybe a good psu (but you can recommend one just in case)
    i dont need any peripherals , no other uses of the system other than that project , id like to stay under 1000$ though i can be bit flexible if its worth it , source of the parts you recommend is irrelevant since ill only be able to buy in a local shop (so i dont care if its cheaper on newegg or amazon , i just want to know the model)
    thanks for your help and for any feedback you may feel the need to share with me
    Last edited by Junkkiller; 2020-03-21 at 05:24 PM. Reason: typo

10+ Year Old Account
    PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($418.89 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.99 @ B&H)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($159.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($169.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $938.86
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-22 02:27 EDT-0400

You said you had a case and power supply, so, something like this. You'll also need to pick up something with a display output, so something like a 1030 or a 710 or something.

Overspent on the SSD because with that many VMs you'll likely be writing enough to actually warrant the Samsung warranty.

And before someone complains: the 3900x is fine with the stock cooler if you don't slam it 100% all the time, and with the sessions being "mainly browsing etc no graphics or complicated stuff" he should be fine with just the stock cooler

And here it is with my suggestion for case/PSU:
    PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($418.89 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.99 @ B&H)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($159.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($169.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ B&H)
    Total: $1147.83
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-22 02:30 EDT-0400
    Last edited by Temp name; 2020-03-22 at 06:32 AM.

My only thoughts are that with 10 VMs running, you're going to want more than 12 cores.

I'd go with the 16-core 3950x

That also assumes that you're not going to be done with this project and then have no further use for that much horsepower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    My only thoughts are that with 10 VMs running, you're going to want more than 12 cores.

That also assumes that you're not going to be done with this project and then have no further use for that much horsepower.
    Good luck fitting a 3950x into a 1000 dollar budget though.
    I packed as much CPU power as I could into the budget. I'd have loved to put more in, but I just don't see how it could be done.

the only use of that system will be the web browsing on the different vms , totally nothing else so i believe that the hiccups will be bearable , as for the use once the project ends (should take a year or two in my estimates) my current idea is to just rebuild it as a low-mid range gaming pc and donate it to some charity or something , ill surely make another post about at such time

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Good luck fitting a 3950x into a 1000 dollar budget though.
    I packed as much CPU power as I could into the budget. I'd have loved to put more in, but I just don't see how it could be done.
    on another forum i asked for help i was given this list : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Nkr7yk
    care to share your thoughts? budget isnt really firm on 1000$ , id just prefer it to stay there

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkkiller View Post
    on another forum i asked for help i was given this list : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Nkr7yk
    care to share your thoughts? budget isnt really firm on 1000$ , id just prefer it to stay there
    In no real order:
    I see no reason getting that powerful a GPU if you aren't going to use it for gaming.
    I'd also suggest getting a matched kit of memory instead of 2 kits, just to be safe. Not to mention 2x16 gives you more room to upgrade in the future if you need it
    I'd really suggest more than 8 cores if you're running multiple VMs.. At only 8 cores you're getting 1 core per VM, with none left over for the main OS. Won't be fun. Honestly, even 12 is too little imo, but you're looking at 250 dollars more to get to 16, which is well above the budget.
    The storage solution is fine. But as I said, you're going to be hammering your drives with 8-9 OSs running so this is one of the few cases I'd suggest something like Samsung. They will keep your data safe, and if the drive dies within 5 years, they'll get it back for you.
    Don't like the case.. Like it will probably be fine, but still.. Not the best. Maybe worth saving 55 dollars, who knows.
    I wouldn't trust that PSU as far as I can throw it. It's made by a pretty bad OEM from what I can find online.

Do you live within driving distance of a Microcenter?

- - - Updated - - -

If you live near a Microcenter, there might be a way to pull this off that will actually net you the cores you need with only marginally more power draw... potentially for *cheaper* than the above (basic GPU cost will be the determining factor).

Provided that it isn't necessary that they all be on the same actual physical piece of hardware (just on the same network, i assume).

Do you live within driving distance of a Microcenter?

- - - Updated - - -

If you live near a Microcenter, there might be a way to pull this off that will actually net you the cores you need with only marginally more power draw... potentially for *cheaper* than the above (basic GPU cost will be the determining factor).

Provided that it isn't necessary that they all be on the same actual physical piece of hardware (just on the same network, i assume).
    im not in the usa so the answer is no , i guess ill have to try get the best prices i can find for the parts suggested , gpu on the link i posted was exagerated and ill just get something basic , let me know what build you had in mind , as i said i can stretch the budget if needed

What country are you in? We can often use PcPartpicker to find prices in other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    In no real order:
    I see no reason getting that powerful a GPU if you aren't going to use it for gaming.
    I'd also suggest getting a matched kit of memory instead of 2 kits, just to be safe. Not to mention 2x16 gives you more room to upgrade in the future if you need it
    I'd really suggest more than 8 cores if you're running multiple VMs.. At only 8 cores you're getting 1 core per VM, with none left over for the main OS. Won't be fun. Honestly, even 12 is too little imo, but you're looking at 250 dollars more to get to 16, which is well above the budget.
    The storage solution is fine. But as I said, you're going to be hammering your drives with 8-9 OSs running so this is one of the few cases I'd suggest something like Samsung. They will keep your data safe, and if the drive dies within 5 years, they'll get it back for you.
    Don't like the case.. Like it will probably be fine, but still.. Not the best. Maybe worth saving 55 dollars, who knows.
    I wouldn't trust that PSU as far as I can throw it. It's made by a pretty bad OEM from what I can find online.
    gpu will be downgraded for sure , the guy just went for overkill
    i agree on ram being better as a 1 x 32 or 2 x 16
    cpu = dully noted , care to mention a specific 16 core one? preferably one supported by the mobo suggested by you/the other guy (or a same price range mobo)
    as for storage basically its gonna be web browsing on 2-3 websites and most data will be on the website not locally so data safety isnt much of an issue , i do care about downtime though if you think its an issue?
    case/psu ill either use mine or get the ones you mentioned
    thanks again , im not taking this for granted!

- - - Updated - - -

What country are you in? We can often use PcPartpicker to find prices in other countries.
    im in israel

im in israel
    My idea likely wont work then. It somewhat relied on being near a Micro Center.

Theyve got Ryzen 7 2700X CPUs for 169$ right now. And you get 20$ off a Motherboard on top of that if you buy them both, but its in-store only.

Paired with a decent B450 board, you could rather easily build TWO machines (8 cores each) for less than 1k, if you could get good cheap just-driving-a-display GPUs.

However, i know prices in Israel are all over the place, so that may not be feasible.

Unless there are extremely good local sales, Temps build is likely more feasible.

10+ Year Old Account
    gpu will be downgraded for sure , the guy just went for overkill
    i agree on ram being better as a 1 x 32 or 2 x 16
    cpu = dully noted , care to mention a specific 16 core one? preferably one supported by the mobo suggested by you/the other guy (or a same price range mobo)
    as for storage basically its gonna be web browsing on 2-3 websites and most data will be on the website not locally so data safety isnt much of an issue , i do care about downtime though if you think its an issue?
    case/psu ill either use mine or get the ones you mentioned
    thanks again , im not taking this for granted!

- - - Updated - - -

im in israel
    The 16core cpu i was thinking about would be the 3950x