Anyone on a well system?

I've rented my whole life and the house I got is on a well system, which I've got no experience with.

The last few weeks when running hot water, every now and then the water will just stop and either a low amount or no water will come out of the faucet/shower for a few seconds and then resume normal flow. But the last couple of days, it's gotten to where water stops completely, no hot, no cold, no flushing the toilet. It'll last from less than a minute to about five minutes.

My question is does it sound like a well issue or a hot water heater issue? I initially thought it was an issue with the old hot water heater the house has, since it only happened when running hot water, but now I'm wondering if there's an issue with the well pump. Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

10+ Year Old Account
    It sounds like a pump issue. Check if the well system is more than 10 years old, or if the water you're getting has a high mineral content.

If so, it's probably time for a new pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    It sounds like a pump issue. Check if the well system is more than 10 years old, or if the water you're getting has a high mineral content.

If so, it's probably time for a new pump.
    This. Also, before you start really ingesting it, it's always a safe bet to get someone out there to take a look at the well and test it for contamination of sorts. I dont know how much it runs but if you can afford it, it's a good thing to do. The benefit you get is no fluoride and other added chemicals, but other contaminates are super variable because of outside influences. Maybe invest in a decent water filter as well.

Oh and usually houses on a well have a septic for waste. Make sure to use septic safe stuff
    Last edited by Foosha; 2020-03-21 at 08:04 PM.

could be a pump issue. but when I was younger and that happened we had to get a new well drilled.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

The well was tested when I moved in, it fell within safe parameters. But it has an unpleasant smell and stains pots. I got it tested and it showed high levels of manganese. I haven't been drinking it though. I stick to bottled water for the most part. But I do use it for laundry, showers, and washing dishes. The town has a manganese issue, they have to flush the public water mains from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    The well was tested when I moved in, it fell within safe parameters. But it has an unpleasant smell and stains pots. I got it tested and it showed high levels of manganese. I haven't been drinking it though. I stick to bottled water for the most part. But I do use it for laundry, showers, and washing dishes. The town has a manganese issue, they have to flush the public water mains from time to time.
    Well before you start with the pump, try flushing the water heater to see if that helps. Get a professional in first, and it shouldnt be that much money as its relatively easy, but for first time well users can be a little daunting.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It is common for a pump to have different water pressure. This is controlled by the pressure setting device for the pump. We get our water from a spring and use a small 2 HP pump to pump it from the spring's holding tank to house and I have it set to kick on at 35 pounds and off at 55 pounds. You can change it, but it is not recommended to set it for a closer pressure setting, as this will reduce the life of the pump.

Not saying this explains your problem. But it is not going to be like city water, where the pressure is the same all the time.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Do you not have a water softener system?

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    Do you not have a water softener system?
    No, I didn't even know that was a thing until recently. I had someone come in to get an estimate on installing one, and yikes, they start at around $4000 for the filtration and softener system.

The pump usually doesn't come on instantly when you open a tap, so there will be something buffering the supply, maybe a small tank with a pressure bladder in it that acts as a reservoir that supplies the water and pressure when you turn on a faucet, then when the pressure gets low that triggers the pump to come on and both deliver more water and to re-pressurize the tank when you shut off the flow.

These little pressure tank things can fail internally (the bladder thing or whatever it is ruptures and then the tank does not act as a pressure reservoir so you may turn on the tap, get a little bit of water and then have it turn to a trickle as it waits for the pump to come online). That's a pretty simple/cheap thing to replace if it's the problem I suspect.

Depending on the well depth the pump might be down at the bottom of the well or it might be at the top. Can you hear it running when you have the water going for a while? You might be able to tell when the pump is turning on and compare that with the flow coming out of a faucet to see if there's a lag between the initial pressure running out and the pump coming up to pressure.

10+ Year Old Account
    All pipes have to be flushed for mangonese around here, it's just a build up of sediment over time. I have to do this every year with my job in different locations which have the highest amount of dirty water complaints for that year. Mangonese is safe to drink, but I personally wouldn't want to drink it, so I don't blame you one bit.

If you're going to look at changing/fixing the pump, I'd get a sampler out again to test the water just for peace of mind. When I've dealt with "dirty" water it doesn't actually smell, just has an unpleasant colour to it, but that's just my opinion on what I'd do.

No, I didn't even know that was a thing until recently. I had someone come in to get an estimate on installing one, and yikes, they start at around $4000 for the filtration and softener system.
    in the long run it will definitely help your water situation alot. Your water might even be drinkable.,

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Sure the pump pipe is submerged in the well's water level? Might have air in the system.

Quote Originally Posted by PixelFox View Post
    The pump usually doesn't come on instantly when you open a tap, so there will be something buffering the supply, maybe a small tank with a pressure bladder in it that acts as a reservoir that supplies the water and pressure when you turn on a faucet, then when the pressure gets low that triggers the pump to come on and both deliver more water and to re-pressurize the tank when you shut off the flow.

These little pressure tank things can fail internally (the bladder thing or whatever it is ruptures and then the tank does not act as a pressure reservoir so you may turn on the tap, get a little bit of water and then have it turn to a trickle as it waits for the pump to come online). That's a pretty simple/cheap thing to replace if it's the problem I suspect.
    I to was not experienced in the ways of the well.

I had something very similar happen to me OP, just about a month ago. It was indeed the above issue. I was able to get a new tank installed for around 700 bucks.
    I am not pro Flight, I am pro a better more engaging game. I just took the pro flight stance cause I knew Blizzard couldn't deliver. Looks like I was right

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post
    I to was not experienced in the ways of the well.

I had something very similar happen to me OP, just about a month ago. It was indeed the above issue. I was able to get a new tank installed for around 700 bucks.
    Before the bladders in the pressure tanks became a thing, a owner had to occasionally de-waterlog the pressure tank. By draining about one third of the water out of it and then pumping in air. A nuisance to do, but it worked. Would only last about 3 months however, before you had to do it again. And $700 for a pressure tank? Ouch. My last one cost less than $300.

But you had it installed and that does cost more. I installed ours myself.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2020-03-30 at 12:56 PM.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams