Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's interesting seeing the "small government" types squirming to find a way to support government forcing industries to make products because Dear Leader says so.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    An infrastructure bill should be fine as long as no one throws in unrelated garbage into the bill. This bill should only fund things that are directly related to the issue at hand., not side projects.

Link http://archive.vn/9aiMO
    I am a bit baffled by the idea that infrastructure projects are best started at a time when everyone should stay home and bar themselves from getting in contact with people.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    I am a bit baffled by the idea that infrastructure projects are best started at a time when everyone should stay home and bar themselves from getting in contact with people.
    In a way it kind of makes sense, since road/bridge reconstruction in a time when people aren't on the roads would be less disruptive? Still runs into all the other usual issues, though.

Its stimulus spending basically

Most countries will probably do something similar if they havent already like China

10+ Year Old Account
    Because nobody's driving on roads or bridges.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    In a way it kind of makes sense, since road/bridge reconstruction in a time when people aren't on the roads would be less disruptive? Still runs into all the other usual issues, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Because nobody's driving on roads or bridges.
    You guys are aware that it is people who are building this stuff?
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm entirely aware, just making a general remark. But if crews and companies take the right precautions I don't think trying to keep people in work while maintaining and updating our infrastructure is an entirely bad idea.

But, since this is Trump's Administration and something he himself is directly pushing for, I've got so little faith in the right precautions being taken that I'd rather they not do this sort of thing right now anyway. Tbh if this does go through, I'm 100% expecting stories coming out next month about how protective gear was lackluster and how people who were promised theoretical Hazard pay got jack-shit and/or the private contractors with possible ties to Trump's sphere of influence pocketed a bunch of money and did next to nothing.

?

It's not like you are at high risk getting infected when you build a road.
    You are also not in contact with a lot of people other than the people you usally work with.

By that logic, everyone should stop working right now.
    And we would be out of TP by now!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    ?

It's not like you are at high risk getting infected when you build a road.
    You are also not in contact with a lot of people other than the people you usally work with.

By that logic, everyone should stop working right now.
    And we would be out of TP by now!
    There are essential jobs and then there are jobs that you don't need to do right now. So you're ok with risking the lives of roadworkers because it's more convenient to do it now when everyone else should be at home?

There are essential jobs and then there are jobs that you don't need to do right now. So you're ok with risking the lives of roadworkers because it's more convenient to do it now when everyone else should be at home?
    Yes.

It's not a matter of whether it's more convenient now or not, it's a matter of how risky it is for them to work.

You are also acting as if they are forced to work - like slaves.
    That's not the case. Road construction is relatively normal right now and barely affected by the corona-crisis.
    It's no different here in Germany.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2020-04-04 at 08:58 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes.

It's not a matter of whether it's more convenient now or not, it's a matter of how risky it is for them to work.

That's not the case. Road construction is relatively normal right now and barely affected by the corona-crisis.
    We're talking about the US, they are kind of forced to work.

Yes.

It's still people that are moving around, and being around different groups of people.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you're ok with risking the lives of roadworkers because it's more convenient to do it now when everyone else should be at home?
    Gonna side with @KrayZ33 on this one. We've all seen people fixing a road before. They don't deal with customers, they deal with each other. And a lot of times, they're wearing gloves and masks anyhow. It's not July/August heat out there, and the only people they'd be around is each other.

Of course not. It's not his life that would be endangered.

Gonna side with @KrayZ33 on this one. We've all seen people fixing a road before. They don't deal with customers, they deal with each other. And a lot of times, they're wearing gloves and masks anyhow. It's not July/August heat out there, and the only people they'd be around is each other.
    It actually annoys me when mayhem is right but he has a point in this one case. This isn't a ideal situation. We are trying to produce sensitive medical equipment with machinery not designed for it.

Everything about this is unsafe and reeks of desperation.

That's on site. many would still be stopping at corner stores/gas stations to and from work picking up stuff and interacting with others throughout the day. And just because you wear a mask doesn't mean you are protected. being around people, even with PPE, is not advised over the next month.

It's near impossible to keep the PPE required to work in construction sterile, which means that all the equipment you use and wear is contaminated which in turn means you realistically think that people working a physically demanding job can avoid touching their faces for an entire shift.

In other words, nu uh.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Karl View Post
    I mean you don't think machines run on magic do you?

I can't see how a piece of equipment used to screw on car doors is somehow magically going to be used to build something that isn't a car...

TIL programming = magic..........

And you are able to vote where you live?????

MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    TIL programming = magic..........

And you are able to vote where you live?????

Why can't this equipment designed to make windows forge me delicate medical equipment!!!

Tell me are you the kind of person who thinks we don't need farms because we buy our groceries from a store?

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Karl View Post
    Why can't this equipment designed to make windows forge me delicate medical equipment!!!

Tell me are you the kind of person who thinks we don't need farms because we buy our groceries from a store?
    No I'm the kinda person that understand robots and be reprogrammed to assemble a great many different things.

It's not magic. It's not rocket science. It's basic engineering.....
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.