Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why were political commentators so arrogant and ignorant in the 2000s?

I remember back in the 2000s there was there was this popular right wing commentator named Glenn Beck.

He ranted about video games

Popular teen shows

He even thought Obama was a communist

When in reality he was a moderate Democrat.

He eventually admitted he was arrogant.

Why were political commentators so stupid and arrogant in the 2000s?
    Last edited by CmdrShep2154; 2020-03-23 at 04:14 AM.

Just in the 2000s?

It's been a noticeable trend in right wind media since at least the 90s. Be extreme, say crazy shit, and then get paid.

Still happening now.

Not just politics, though. The same strategy is being used by a lot of people who want to hit it big on platforms like YT.

Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    It's been a noticeable trend in right wind media since at least the 90s. Be extreme, say crazy shit, and then get paid.

Still happening now.

Not just politics, though. The same strategy is being used by a lot of people who want to hit it big on platforms like YT.
    I mean according to some more radical branches of the left by 2006 everyone would be dead by global warming...

Politicians mostly appeal to the stupid trying to claim your particular flavor rises above hat is folly.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    Why were political commentators so stupid and arrogant in the 2000s?
    Because they had less knowledge in previous decades. It takes a while to debunk all the wrong theories that accumulate such as the theory that videogames cause violence or that the climate will kill us in 12 years.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Karl View Post
    I mean according to some more radical branches of the left by 2006 everyone would be dead by global warming...

Politicians mostly appeal to the stupid trying to claim your particular flavor rises above hat is folly.
    Do you have an actual source for that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Because they had less knowledge in previous decades. It takes a while to debunk all the wrong theories that accumulate such as the theory that videogames cause violence or that the climate will kill us in 12 years.
    nice bs strawman you invented there.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    nice bs strawman you invented there.
    Okay? The point is you can always go back in time 20 years to find idiots who have clearly wrong theories. In 2040 they'll do the same to those of us in 2020 since they'll know way more than us.

Citation needed....
    What's more likely though is that some predictions where made that may have gotten the exact timeline wrong but are turning out to be true. But having said that that has probably worked both ways, where some predictions where made that turned out to true much sooner then expected.

What has never turned out to be true though is right-wing predictions.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    What has never turned out to be true though is right-wing predictions.
    Yeah lol that's because right wing predictions are always about "the past was so much better than the present and future". Which is such BS.

Yeah lol that's because right wing predictions are always about "the past was so much better than the present and future". Which is such BS.
    No right-wing predictions is always based around assumptions and ''gut'' feeling and try to play into peoples fear.

It is definitely not on a single side. As I get older I remember seeing a shitload of crazy ignorant commentators in both sides.

And yes, the right (specially the religious right) on the 90s - 2000s had retarded views on video games (and many other topics), it is the main reason I was drawn to the left while growing up. That being said, what happened when the right lost most of its power and the world shifted left? Here comes the new left wing game critics saying that games make everyone a sexist, misogynist, bigot etc.

This is the main reason why there is the pendulum theory, when one side starts winning and gets momentum, it goes way too far, until people start leaving it and it swings in the other direction. Don't worry, I am sure in 10 to 20 years we will again see some crazy right wing moralist become popular bashing video games for whatever is inappropriate then.
    I may not be an overachiever, but my Druid is richer than half of Venezuela.

Politically commentators started getting BIG money on the regular around that time and the trend has continued. Tied directly with the rise of 24/7 prime time entertainment shows people pretend are news on 24/7 news networks. Truth is most of them are just paid actors outside of a few nut cases. Megan Kelly is the primary example you can look to. The other side wrote a bigger check and the script was flipped. Most of them would end up doing the same unless they are old schooler of one side or a loon.

They still are, are you living under a rock?

Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    Do you have an actual source for that?
    You have never heard of Al Gore?

And this thread is pure bait. I only came here for the lulz.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post

You'd know all about bait threads.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account

Al Gore did his inconvenient truth in 2006

I highly doubt he claimed everyone would be dead by 2006

But if you can back that up with a source then surprise me

Edit: but even if he did it would not help

Because he is not a radical leftist

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    You'd know all about bait threads.
    I rarely start threads because they end up getting locked due to people here not handling the fact someone does not think like the lemmings that they are. Endus, a former mod here, will intentionally lead you to get banned so you got to be careful. But this thread is pure tr...can't say that word, you'll get banned just for posting it. I would post on the topic, but this dumpster fire going to be locked anyways.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    Al Gore did his inconvenient truth in 2006

I highly doubt he claimed everyone would be dead by 2006

But if you can back that up with a source then surprise me

Edit: but even if he did it would not help

Because he is not a radical leftist
    You do realize he started his shit when he was vice president in the 90s, right? You do know he did stuff before he put out his propaganda, right? Or maybe you don't. Either way, you just declared something and then immediately posted a rebuttal for a rebuttal, so what is the point of giving you a rebuttal?

10+ Year Old Account
    I rarely start threads because they end up getting locked due to people here not handling the fact someone does not think like the lemmings that they are. Endus, a former mod here, will intentionally lead you to get banned so you got to be careful. But this thread is pure tr...can't say that word, you'll get banned just for posting it. I would post on the topic, but this dumpster fire going to be locked anyways.

- - - Updated - - -

You do realize he started his shit when he was vice president in the 90s, right? You do know he did stuff before he put out his propaganda, right? Or maybe you don't. Either way, you just declared something and then immediately posted a rebuttal for a rebuttal, so what is the point of giving you a rebuttal?
    Nowhere in your rambling did you actually provide support for your initial claim.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Either way, you just declared something and then immediately posted a rebuttal for a rebuttal, so what is the point of giving you a rebuttal?
    No i did not

You claimed Al Gore was an example of "according to some more radical branches of the left by 2006 everyone would be dead by global warming"

So since Al Gore is not a part of a radical branch of the left he is not an example of that

It was a rebuttal of your first post

Preceeded by a question of you even being able to prove your claim (which i suspect you cannot because i suspect he never said that)

I am just branching out a bit

Feel free to adress the question that is somewhat irrelevant to what the radical left is saying (which is probably too scary for innocent little right winger ears anyhow :P and will not be presented by a person on tour in a private jet.. the flying is more the ballistic trajectory of a cobblestone i guess )