Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

AoE Changes in Shadowlands, Shadowlands Developer Interview - Ion Hazzikostas

Shadowlands Developer Interview - Ion Hazzikostas
    Sloot had the chance to sit down with Ion Hazzikostas to talk about Shadowlands!

Please say they're looking into removing Insanity/Void Form. Please for the love of god.

7+ Year Old Account
    I really liked Ion's answer on AoE capping of targets, I think I'm fine with that being in game if it helps other specs other than Rogue/DH in mythic plus
    Last edited by Fawkess; 2020-04-09 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Riptor View Post
    I really liked Ion's answer on AoE capping of targets, I think I'm fine with that being in game if it helps other specs other than Rogue/DH in mythic plus
    Yeah, because we clearly need more busted ass fire mages and BM hunters instead with their braindead 90%+ instant cast damage from range.

The concept of aoeing everything down was interesting at a point in time because it was challenging... this issue should've been fixed like a decade ago though. There's only a few ways to do it, if you make the mobs harder, it will still be possible with gear progression. Bringing back threat IMO may be the best way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Riptor View Post
    LOL kids are so cute, you really think nerfing the overal AOE of rogue/DH is going to make your paladin or warlock suddenly viable? Rogue/DH had solid aoe damage it's true, but so do a lot of other classes, it's the fact they also come with solid utility and mobility. Unless they decide to change that, rogue and DH will still be the meta with a hunter or mage for lust

AoE caps are a GREAT change, for many reasons.

HOWEVER

They are not going to magically change class balance and meta picks, because it wasn't JUST good AoE damage that makes specs like Outlaw or Havoc busted in M+. There's many more changes that need to be made, and many of those are far more impactful than AoE damage (like utility skills etc.).

So yes, nerfing AoE is a step in the right direction, but is just, you know, ONE STEP.

Please remove the corruption system it's terrible. It doesn't show skill at all and the RNG is horrible that's the main thing I want in SL tbh.

The nice thing about AoE is seeing all those damage counters flying across your screen when you hit a lot of targets. Caps are more "no fun allowed".
    ...that's just my opinion, anyway.

All of this cosmological stuff is too boring for me. I'd like to get Warcraft back, please. my thing is killing defias and orcs.

RIP any hopes that they will split the power gains from the cosmetics and lore of covenants. Guess I'm just going to be whatever sims the best regardless of how much I like the lore and cosmetics of a covenant.

Warlocks need a lot more changes. It's really unacceptable that Shadowbolt and Incinerate still hit like total noodles and that these specs still have too much of their damage linked to darkglare/Infernal.
    Also talents like Soul Fire and Shadowburn being unchanged is kinda ridiculous. Shadowburn should be a baseline 15 sec CD execute and hit hard again, Soul Fire should be instant and called Fel Flame but can remain a talent. Imo Roaring blaze and Grimoire of Supremacy should be scrapped and replaced with new stuff as well.

Tier sets should be 8 pieces with only a 2 set and 4 set so you keep a lot of freedom with off pieces.

Think AoE capping some melee abilities and returning that role to stuff like Rain of Fire and Arcane explosion is a good idea to bring casters back into the M+ meta.

Quote Originally Posted by Seyra View Post
    Please remove the corruption system it's terrible. It doesn't show skill at all and the RNG is horrible that's the main thing I want in SL tbh.
    Not sure what you're worried about here since corruption is an 8.3 system only.

can we PLEASE get gladiator stance back???!?!?! it was su much fun to have a prot warrior dps that could off tank and yet dish out some competitive dps

RIP so their solution to the whole problem of Covenants being min/maxed is effectively "well there's so much to them, which means we have so many knobs to turn and balance it all!" which I'm sure is SO VERY LIKELY TO HAPPEN given Blizzard's track record.

And they have the gall to compare it to racials, which are at <1% power and STILL get min/maxed, while Covenant abilities as they are right now look to be MUCH MUCH MORE of a difference.

I just don't believe them that they'll be able to balance it in a satisfying way. I'm ready to be positively surprised, but there is no way that I am not expecting a colossal crashdown on this system given past experience.

im really hating that AoE cap.... mainly for world stuff. if im out leveling or doing a quest i want to pull a bunch and kill them all at once.

There is an element of skill in making decisions when the ability being on the GCD is a factor.
    Please provide specific feedback when talking about GCD changes. "Revert the changes" has been heard.
    This is bad news. Another situation of "we hear you but actually fuck you".

What you mean specific feedback??????? HOW MUCH MORE FEEDBACK DO YOU NEED?!

Quote Originally Posted by guisadop View Post
    The nice thing about AoE is seeing all those damage counters flying across your screen when you hit a lot of targets. Caps are more "no fun allowed".
    This is such a ridiculous take. It's literally like you didn't even listen to what he said. The reason it's changing is because people are just rounding everything up and using AoE. There are no other tactics. This change is a far better idea and has nothing to do with "no fun allowed".

7+ Year Old Account
    No more titanforging/corruption on gear

fuck yes

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    "There is no Warforging, Titanforging, or Corruption in Shadowlands. Let loot be loot."

Well I just fucking came.

Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    "There is no Warforging, Titanforging, or Corruption in Shadowlands. Let loot be loot."

Well I just fucking came.
    At the cost of loot being reduced from raids. Now I'm not sure how much It'll be reduced, and if It'll apply to M+ loot as well - but lord they just always have to introduce a negative with a positive.

But this is good, don't get me wrong. The insane amount of time played metrics introduced in BfA obviously didn't work and it backfired, they're going back to the roots THANK GOD.