Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    I don’t want to lift, because I don’t want muscle mass. And I think training endurance still builds muscle? Also, cardio is too much work for just losing half a meal’s worth of calories.

I used to weigh 95 lbs. Now I’m almost double that. I used to drink tea when I had cravings, but now there’s popcorn, chips and ice cream around. Should I just not eat as much? Is that really all?
    in essence eat less and move more works. eating volumous foods and counting calories helps.

There's a ton of variety in healthy eating habits that will allow you to maintain good health & weight, when you already have good health, good weight, and a healthy metabolism. Could be a balanced diet, low-fat/high-carb, low-carb/high-fat, vegan, or carnivore, etc, as long as you are eating healthy food. That said, the only diet shown to consistently help fix certain health conditions, broken metabolism, and obesity is a low-carb/high-fat diet.

Truth be told, probably the most helpful suggestion out there is just cut out the sugar. It's tough because they put sugar in everything, but if you strictly drink water and don't eat sugary foods, you will find yourself a good ways through the struggle.

Also to note, exercise does very little to help you lose weight. Exercise to get healthy, which you should do; it will help your muscles, heart & blood flow, and even helps mentally (among other things). But don't expect the weight to drop. Weight loss is done with diet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fwc577 View Post
    Eat less. CICO is how you lose weight. Calories in, Calories Out. If you don't want to do any working out, then you need to limit your intake of calories in.
    Depending on how you cut calories, you can find it's not sustainable and can be detrimental over the long haul, as your metabolism can compensate for the lack of calories and burn less calories.

CICO is why the weight loss industry is worth over 72 billion. You initially lose weight over the first few weeks, then after doing the exact same thing you stop losing weight. CICO is why folks come to internet forums trying to figure out what to do...'cause it doesn't work when your body is already broken.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

I actually decided to lose weight for the past few months and it worked really well by just eating less unhealthy food and eat more fruit instead. Also doing a lot of fitness and walking for an hour. I expected it to be near impossible for me to lose weight but it surprisingly worked a lot. My jogging sessions go a lot better aswell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I actually decided to lose weight for the past few months and it worked really well by just eating less unhealthy food and eat more fruit instead. Also doing a lot of fitness and walking for an hour. I expected it to be near impossible for me to lose weight but it surprisingly worked a lot. My jogging sessions go a lot better aswell.
    Fruit is bad, too sugary.
    Driving on Sunshine.

PM for Tesla referral code.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    sugar isnt bad

no its not. refined sugar is a problem, sugar in fruit comes with fiber and absorbs much slower, so it doesn't spike your insulin the way refined sugar does.

Few years back I weighed 207-210lbs.
    Now around 178-180...seems to hover.
    Added a lot of fruit and veggies...

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    You still want to control how much of it you eat due to calories. It’s not always just about insulin.

- - - Updated - - -

It’s not necessarily bad, it’s just high in calories. Which means that, like fat, you need to be careful with how much you indulge.
    except its also incredibly filling so you really cannot eat as much fruit as you think. a large apple is 100 calories (and I don't know about you, but I cannot even finish the whole thing, so i tend to buy smaller apples to snack on and those are about 50 calories). so is standard sized banana. 100 grams of strawberries is like 30 calories. between the fiber and the water content - you are not eating nearly as many calories as you think you are, and you are still getting satiated, plus you get vitamins and antioxidants to go along with that fiber.

are there fruits higher in calories? yes. but its still a heck of a lot harder to overindulge in fruit than it is in fat for example. or sweets that do not have fiber to add to satiety.

if you said, you have to be careful with fruit juice? yes, 100% absolutely, because fruit juice keeps all of the calories and sugar and NONE of the fiber, making it as easy to overindulge in as soda. but that's JUICE. whole fruit is just fine.

I mean... you DO want to get a good amount of protein, some fat to aid in digestion, etc. balance in all things. I just mean fruit is not this evil thing you should avoid at all costs, because there is sugar and calories in it.
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2020-12-01 at 04:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post

are there fruits higher in calories? yes. but its still a heck of a lot harder to overindulge in fruit than it is in fat for example. or sweets that do not have fiber to add to satiety.

if you said, you have to be careful with fruit juice? yes, 100% absolutely, because fruit juice keeps all of the calories and sugar and NONE of the fiber, making it as easy to overindulge in as soda. but that's JUICE. whole fruit is just fine.

I mean... you DO want to get a good amount of protein, some fat to aid in digestion, etc.
    Fat has over 2x as many calories per gram so that's why it's easier to over indulge with it.

- - - Updated - - -

The way the body uses the different macros is so different as well that's why saying stuff like CI/CO is fairly wrong.

Sure if you reduce overall calories you are likely to reduce weight but is it healthy or sustainable long term. Probably not.
    Driving on Sunshine.

Fat has over 2x as many calories per gram so that's why it's easier to over indulge with it.

- - - Updated - - -

The way the body uses the different macros is so different as well that's why saying stuff like CI/CO is fairly wrong.

Sure if you reduce overall calories you are likely to reduce weight but is it healthy or sustainable long term. Probably not.
    no one is saying that you should live solely on fruit. just that fruit is a not bad just because there is sugar in it. and yes, sustainability is absolutely key. and for me, not having carbs is unsustainable.

The only ones that should worry about the sugars in fruit are those under a doctor prescribed diet.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    expending more calories than you take in is the easiest way to lose weight.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jazen View Post
    expending more calories than you take in is the easiest way to lose weight.
    And how can you actually measure how many calories you are using?
    Driving on Sunshine.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Therein lies the rub, I guess. Tough to know accurately how much you expend, not as hard to know about intake.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jazen View Post
    Therein lies the rub, I guess. Tough to know accurately how much you expend, not as hard to know about intake.
    Kind of though, your body doesn't use every gram you intake as energy. Much of the protein is used as protein to build things in the body and not for energy. Excess carbs are turned into fat stores in the body by the liver.
    Driving on Sunshine.

If I get sluggish by mid afternoon...then I know I need a little something.

Kind of though, your body doesn't use every gram you intake as energy. Much of the protein is used as protein to build things in the body and not for energy. Excess carbs are turned into fat stores in the body by the liver.
    you can still track what you are eating, ALL that you are eating, every day for couple of weeks (write it down, do not change anything, just write down what you ate) divide it by the number of days you tracked it and voila - you have your median daily calories you need to maintain weight. from there - calculating where you can cut some calories is a matter of looking again at your food journal and finding lower calorie substitutes for a few things here and there.

no one is saying that you should live solely on fruit. just that fruit is a not bad just because there is sugar in it. and yes, sustainability is absolutely key. and for me, not having carbs is unsustainable.
    Honestly, fruit is frankly dessert with how much sugar they have. They're like gummy vitamins. You have to understand that they have selectively bred fruit to become extremely palatable, they're not the fruit from centuries ago that were incredibly different to what they are now.

Cut fruit IMO and eat more vegetables if you don't want to go the low carb route (which would certainly help drop weight and overall health).

Quote Originally Posted by Schmittay View Post
    Honestly, fruit is frankly dessert with how much sugar they have. They're like gummy vitamins. You have to understand that they have selectively bred fruit to become extremely palatable, they're not the fruit from centuries ago that were incredibly different to what they are now.

Cut fruit IMO and eat more vegetables if you don't want to go the low carb route (which would certainly help drop weight and overall health).
    sigh. if it works for you, great, however... there is NOTHING WRONG WITH FRUIT (assuming you are not allergic or intolerant in some way, but that applies to ALL foods, not just fruit). yes, we have bred it to be much more palatable, more flesh, fewer seeds. but trust me, fresh or frozen fruit is NOT why so many people are overweight. we move less. we eat more in general. low carb is not some magical panacea I wish people would STOP. SAYING IT. it works for some people. it doesn't work for ALL people.

sigh. if it works for you, great, however... there is NOTHING WRONG WITH FRUIT (assuming you are not allergic or intolerant in some way, but that applies to ALL foods, not just fruit). yes, we have bred it to be much more palatable, more flesh, fewer seeds. but trust me, fresh or frozen fruit is NOT why so many people are overweight. we move less. we eat more in general. low carb is not some magical panacea I wish people would STOP. SAYING IT. it works for some people. it doesn't work for ALL people.
    More flesh, fewer seeds, SWEETER. Fruit was typically BITTER. It was bred to have more sugar, which study after study after study (unless paid for by entities that had stakes) has shown a net negative affect to humans. We evolved that sugar should be RARE, not a COMMON source of energy.

- - - Updated - - -

Let me just add, I agree low carb isn't for everyone. But we're talking about such a minority that 98% could do lower carb and reap the benefits. So you're technically correct, but if you have the willpower to do it, you WILL be healthier. Also, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, fuck off processed food. Eat REAL food.