https://twitter.com/NunesDrag/status...72430907310080

"we have to ballot harvest, its the only way to win, even though its illegal in 49 states"

republican literally admits they plan to cheat,

i mean atleast say you do it but then pretend you didnt know its a crime, to say you do it, even THOUGH its a crime is next level

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Firslaps View Post
    Ironically this is something that will cost the corporate Democrats the election in 2020 and herald the collapse of the establishment party.
    One thing progressives get wrong is they think working class people support social programs etc, and if we just had a strong spending policy they'd overlook our incompatible social policy, but look at the 2014 midterms, the tea party candidates, the tea party was based around things like a flat tax, gutting climate regulation, budget deficit reduction, cutting food stamps, social security/medicaid- Those districts flipped BEFORE trump was on the ballot. The establishment neoliberal candidates do better vs Rs than progressives.

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    https://twitter.com/NunesDrag/status...72430907310080

"we have to ballot harvest, its the only way to win, even though its illegal in 49 states"

republican literally admits they plan to cheat,

i mean atleast say you do it but then pretend you didnt know its a crime, to say you do it, even THOUGH its a crime is next level
    Not really. Sounds like he's talking specifically about CA, which made "ballot harvesting" legal in the 2018 election. It's literally just having someone pick up your ballot and drop it off in the mail/voting location/city hall.

Family could always do this in the state IIRC, so it's not terribly different. But to hear him talk about it, having someone drop off your sealed, signed ballot is just SO INCREDIBLY SHADY.

I don't know about the legality in other states, but as long as he was talking exclusively about CA (and based on the segment it seems he was) what he said is "fine".

One thing progressives get wrong is they think working class people support social programs etc, and if we just had a strong spending policy they'd overlook our incompatible social policy, but look at the 2014 midterms, the tea party candidates, the tea party was based around things like a flat tax, gutting climate regulation, budget deficit reduction, cutting food stamps, social security/medicaid- Those districts flipped BEFORE trump was on the ballot. The establishment neoliberal candidates do better vs Rs than progressives.
    Yes so you should do the same shit that didn't work in 2016 forever. Good luck trying to win without the working class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes so you should do the same shit that didn't work in 2016 forever. Good luck trying to win without the working class.
    Good luck convincing the working class that tax cuts on corporations, is just ‘no one pays the actual rate’. I don’t think it will work...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Good luck convincing the working class that tax cuts on corporations, is just ‘no one pays the actual rate’. I don’t think it will work...
    That doesn't make any sense at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    That doesn't make any sense at all.
    I know it doesn’t... how can someone who defends the working class and hates corporations, such as your self... have this reaction to Trump cutting corporate taxes by 15%:

Because no one is paying the official rate.
    Makes no sense what so ever...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

I know it doesn’t... how can someone who defends the working class and hates corporations, such as your self... have this reaction to Trump cutting corporate taxes by 15%:
    Because I used to work in taxation and I currently own a successful business, and I know it doesn't matter what tax rate you set for the rich, they don't pay it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because I used to work in taxation and I currently own a successful business, and I know it doesn't matter what tax rate you set for the rich, they don't pay it.
    Interesting... do you pay taxes on your successful business? What was the total savings from Trump’s tax cut on your business?

We did in 2018, the karen vote was strong.

10+ Year Old Account
    We did in 2018, the karen vote was strong.
    You are responding to someone who after complaining about democrats not connecting with working class, just claimed to own a successful business and was aware as a worker, of corporations that were not paying taxes. Once he responds to how much his successful business saved thanks to Trump’s corporate tax cut. I plan to ask what he did about watching corporations pay no taxes...

You are responding to someone who after complaining about democrats not connecting with working class, just claimed to own a successful business and was aware as a worker, of corporations that were not paying taxes. Once he responds to how much his successful business saved thanks to Trump’s corporate tax cut. I plan to ask what he did about watching corporations pay no taxes...
    You seem to have enormous difficulty with the concept of tax avoidance. Very few corporations pay the official rate of tax, therefore any changes in the tax rate are largely only interesting to those who are incredibly partisan, because it makes no practical difference.

I actually pay my taxes in full apart from minor deductions for things like stationary, but I am a statistical blip. Most corporations do not.

10+ Year Old Account
    You seem to have enormous difficulty with the concept of tax avoidance. Very few corporations pay the official rate of tax, therefore any changes in the tax rate are largely only interesting to those who are incredibly partisan, because it makes no practical difference.
    Totally... Trump wasted his big push while having total control of Congress, to give a tax cut to corporations that isn’t real. The deficit that resulted from lost revenue, is also not real, because corporations don’t pay taxes. The buy back that happened, was also just randomly coinciding with the tax cut. I bet you don’t know what was lost during the tax cut...

I actually pay my taxes in full apart from minor deductions for things like stationary, but I am a statistical blip. Most corporations do not.
    Let’s talk more about that. Can you please list all of the deductions you have filed after Trump’s corporate tax cut. I am very interested in knowing what those deductions are. Stationary is one deduction... anything else?

Have you heard the term ‘handing someone one shovel’? Just wondering...

Edit: Might as well spoil it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_Cu...bs_Act_of_2017
    Under the law, there are numerous changes to the individual income tax, including changing the income level of individual tax brackets, lowering tax rates, and increasing the standard deductions and family tax credits while itemized deductions are reduced and the personal exemptions are eliminated.
    Those deductions you claim to have used to pay for your taxes, were reduced as part of the corporate tax cut. I am still very interested in how you pulled this off and how that 15% tax cut was worth it for a receipt junkie, such as you must have been to cover personal earnings from your successful business.
    Last edited by Felya; 2020-05-15 at 01:30 AM.

I can tell you what. Multiple people in my extended family voted for Trump in 2016. Multiple people in my extended family have been bitching about the fact their taxes actually went up. That instead of getting a nice refund, they are now paying taxes. Multiple people in my extended family are talking about sitting out of the vote in 2020 and yes, I live in a heavily contested battleground state the Trump absolutely needs to win and barely won in 2016.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fwc577 View Post
    I can tell you what. Multiple people in my extended family voted for Trump in 2016. Multiple people in my extended family have been bitching about the fact their taxes actually went up. That instead of getting a nice refund, they are now paying taxes. Multiple people in my extended family are talking about sitting out of the vote in 2020 and yes, I live in a heavily contested battleground state the Trump absolutely needs to win and barely won in 2016.
    My family is posting ObamaGate and Bill Gates conspiracies. I convinced them to vote Gary Johnson in 2016, but 2020 I am keeping my mouth shut. They are way too extreme for me to risk a family divide. Plus... they are in NY... not worth it.

My family is posting ObamaGate and Bill Gates conspiracies. I convinced them to vote Gary Johnson in 2016, but 2020 I am keeping my mouth shut. They are way too extreme for me to risk a family divide. Plus... they are in NY... not worth it.
    Did you ever consider the possibility you are actually pretty much the same as them? No I don't suppose you did....your reflexive tribalism is totally different.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you ever consider the possibility you are actually pretty much the same as them? No I don't suppose you did....your reflexive tribalism is totally different.
    No, they have no problem saying this shit around me, because I don’t care enough to hurt the family. I’ve been pretty threatened that if I ever say anything, they will disconnect all contact. Regardless of you ignorant opinion, my “tribalism” doesn’t preclude me from making sure I keep in touch.

Edit: The balls to even say that though...

Just tell your family the truth.

Obamagate means:

Obama's

Better

At

Making

America

Great

And

Trump's

Embarrassed

https://www.newsweek.com/biden-says-...te-him-1504253

"If they believe Tara Reade," Biden said, "they probably shouldn't vote for me. I wouldn't vote for me if I believed Tara Reade."
    Cool, now the GOP has a 3 second soundbite of Biden perfect for literally any ad they'd ever want.

I really hope there's some secret, brilliant backup plan here. At this point people are functionally going to be voting for the VP on the ticket.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.newsweek.com/biden-says-...te-him-1504253

Cool, now the GOP has a 3 second soundbite of Biden perfect for literally any ad they'd ever want.

I really hope there's some secret, brilliant backup plan here. At this point people are functionally going to be voting for the VP on the ticket.
    Ah, so Biden's foot found his mouth again. I wondered how long that would take.

I mean honestly I still don't care who the VP pick is. I don't get why anyone does. They're not going to set policy, they're just being groomed for running in another decade and there's a strong chance that it'll be another boring DNC Clintonite. Maybe they really will be female. Maybe they won't. I don't really care.

Without ABSOLUTE dominance of both houses, the Democrats are going to spend the next 4 years bogged down by do-nothing Republicans that they're going to spend any lead they actually achieve doing their best to "compromise" with. And even if they do succeed, they're not going to raise taxes, in 20+ years of watching Republicans gut tax law, not once have Democrats turned around and fixed things up or raised taxes.

But I'm stuck between the living embodiment of everything that's wrong with America...and someone's goofy dad. At this point the DNC could run two dead horses in blue ties and I'd still have no choice but to vote for them.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Industrial heart of the USSR... now torn apart
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    <..>
    Not a useful answer. I didn't ask whether or not researchers from Harvard, Northeastern University and Rutgers know their job, I can see myself that they do (and they are likely close to 100% Democrat leaning, so you gotcha'd yourself here). I was asking if success of Republican governors will help the Republican president - that I don't know and was curious about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc