10+ Year Old Account
    New CNN national poll:

Biden 55%
    Trump 41%

Trump aides have warned that the national conversation about racial injustice and president’s “law and order” push have animated parts of the Democratic base — black and young voters — whose lagging enthusiasm for Clinton cleared the way for his 2016 win.
    Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    New CNN national poll:

Biden 55%
    Trump 41%

Trump aides have warned that the national conversation about racial injustice and president’s “law and order” push have animated parts of the Democratic base — black and young voters — whose lagging enthusiasm for Clinton cleared the way for his 2016 win.
    Aww, Trump's bullying tactics backfiring on him? Be best.

The only thing I'm kind of worried about is the Defund The Police call to action that several people have taken up...
    This would not be captured in any polling as of yet.

It's a really bad slogan and will be jumped on by republicans to fundraise and gin up support.

Demilitarize the Police is a much better slogan.
    Last edited by kaelleria; 2020-06-08 at 03:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    The only thing I'm kind of worried about is the Defund The Police call to action that several people have taken up...

It's a really bad slogan and will be jumped on by republicans to fundraise and gin up support.

Basically twitter left gentrifying again. They're tone-deaf when it comes to politics.

If Democrats reject the idea of defunding the police, people on twitter will be mad for like three days and then get bored of it like they did with Abolish ICE after Bernie rejected it.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

Same - the labeling makes sense, after the story - but I wish they had labeled it differently. It won't play well in the news cycle.

Defund the Police is exactly what some are calling for. Not Demilitarize. The police needs to be dismantled and rebuilt into something else because what currently stands isn't working.

John Oliver just covered policing this weekend:

10+ Year Old Account
    A real nerdy breakdown of that last bit of polling: From Geoff Garin.

NEW: Our national survey completed this weekend finds strong public rejection of Trump’s handling of the protests that have followed the killing of George Floyd and of the way Trump has dealt with the mistreatment of black people by police. Trump is not just on the wrong side of history, our poll shows he is on the wrong side of all the numbers.

The following tweets tell the story.
    60% disapprove of the way Trump is dealing with the unrest that is going on in the country, including 47% who strongly disapprove.
    Nearly all Democrats disapprove,
    as do 69% of independents
    and 20% of Republicans.

The verbatim comments from those who disapprove are damning: they talk about Trump’s divisiveness, his lack of leadership and lack of compassion, his promotion of excessive force, and his failure to address racial injustice and police brutality.

That crack of 20% could be a big deal in the election.

Quote Originally Posted by fwc577 View Post
    Defund the Police is exactly what some are calling for. Not Demilitarize. The police needs to be dismantled and rebuilt into something else because what currently stands isn't working.

John Oliver just covered policing this weekend:

I've seen the video, I know all about it... The problem is the knee jerk reaction is people think it means get rid of all law enforcement. The average voter isn't going to watch that or bother to get past their initial reaction.

Calling it Demilitarize the Police and literally doing the exact same thing as Defunding accomplishes the same thing without the messaging issues.
    It's unnecessarily messy. Do not give Trump and his band of sycophants an inch.

If I were Biden, Schumer or Pelosi I'd say something like this....
    I'm not saying we should get rid of all law enforcement, but we should let the police focus on crime, not broken taillights or loud music. If someone overdoses, let's call in substance abuse experts. If someone has a domestic violence complaint, let's call in social workers trained to deescalate. If someone is mentally ill and talking to themselves, let's call a mental health expert who can come help them. If someone's taillight is out, let's have a city worker there to give them directions to a mechanic. Police are asked to do too many things that aren't their job, and bringing guns and use of force to these situations makes people feel less safe, not more.
    Last edited by kaelleria; 2020-06-08 at 04:53 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

That crack of 20% could be a big deal in the election.
    They'll still vote for him even if they disapprove of his performance. Bush/Powell's faux disdain cracks me up too; Trump has stacked the courts with a record number of conservative judges that will help ensure a purple America for decades to come.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    New CNN national poll:

Biden 55%
    Trump 41%

Those numbers are insane. And don't let the source fool you - CNN is fine for information, it's the neo-con morons who try to say "liberal biased".

This is just what we wanted to see in getting the base excited. Long way to go - but we'll also see a black woman nominated for VP (no brainer, imo, that she will be black - Demmings or Abrams).

I've seen the video, I know all about it... The problem is the knee jerk reaction is people think it means get rid of all law enforcement. The average Republican voter isn't going to watch that or bother to get past their initial reaction.

Calling it Demilitarize the Police and literally doing the exact same thing as Defunding accomplishes the same thing without the messaging issues.
    It's unnecessarily messy. Do not give Trump and his band of sycophants an inch.

If I were Biden, Schumer or Pelosi I'd say something like this....
    Fixed that quote for you and that demographic really doesn't matter because if it's outside of their bubble of reality nothing is going to convince them of truth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Those numbers are insane. And don't let the source fool you - CNN is fine for information, it's the neo-con morons who try to say "liberal biased".

This is just what we wanted to see in getting the base excited. Long way to go - but we'll also see a black woman nominated for VP (no brainer, imo, that she will be black - Demmings or Abrams).
    147 days.
    https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/election

Until the beginning of the end of Donald Trump's life of freedom? TrumpForPrison 2021!

Fixed that quote for you and that demographic really doesn't matter because if it's outside of their bubble of reality nothing is going to convince them of truth.
    So there's no quote, unless you were trying to be witty.

And I vehemently disagree. Framing messaging is the only way to get people on the fence on your side... opinion on things can swing VERY WILDLY on how something is framed. See M4A vs the public option.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Can't come soon enough - get the Orange Turd out.

Until the beginning of the end of Donald Trump's life of freedom? TrumpForPrison 2021!
    I'm kind of expecting once Trump looses the election of him resigning prior to Jan 20th. That way Pence will become president temporally and in turn will pardon Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    So there's no quote, unless you were trying to be witty.

And I vehemently disagree. Framing messaging is the only way to get people on the fence on your side... opinion on things can swing VERY WILDLY on how something is framed. See M4A vs the public option.
    Looks like Biden heard you.
    He has the advantage of a campaign run by non-toxic competent staffers, not obsessed with posturing on twitter.

Statement from Biden campaign on the issue of “defunding police,” which he says he doesn’t support.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobb View Post
    I'm kind of expecting once Trump looses the election of him resigning prior to Jan 20th. That way Pence will become president temporally and in turn will pardon Trump.
    He can't pardon state crimes.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    If he loses he will spend the rest of his life at least in court fighting for his freedom.

Interesting side note - I think we're all at least tacitly aware of the notion that Trump and his team had no real intention of winning the Presidency. There is amble circumstantial evidence to promote this idea (Melaina crying at election night, no plan from Trump campaign team to transition in, no people ready to take the briefing books from the myriad of people that needed to be appointed, etc) - but that's not my point.

Trump was initially running for President because he wanted to launch a television network - which would have been an amazing source of income and notoriety. Winning the election blind sided him, and of course, caused him to abandon those efforts.

There has been talk recently that if Trump loses the 2020 election, he will be in court for the rest of his life, defending against myriad of crimes he's committed before and during the presidency (we can discuss the legality of those claims separately). But also, his desire for a television network will more than likely never happen as well - too many rules to follow that he won't be able to accommodate, now that we officially know what a criminal he truly embodies.

So at the end of the day, what will Trump do if he loses? Some people have spoken up about the idea that he might flee the country, not to Russia, despite his obvious and historical affiliation with Team Putin - but perhaps to one that does not have an extradition treaty....

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like Biden heard you.
    He has the advantage of a campaign run by non-toxic competent staffers, not obsessed with posturing on twitter.

Statement from Biden campaign on the issue of “defunding police,” which he says he doesn’t support.

This makes perfect sense from an optics point of view. Biden is playing the smart game here, even though the movement is a great idea, it plays terribly in the MSM, and therefore will hurt his standing with independents in key battleground states.

I will never understand how a group of such intelligent people can fuck up labeling something so consistently and historically. "Defund Police"? That sounds fucking horrific, and I understand the whole argument behind it (and agree with it).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hobb View Post
    That is an interesting notion - I don't see Trump resigning (or even admitting he won), but that reason would be one to do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    This makes perfect sense from an optics point of view. Biden is playing the smart game here, even though the movement is a great idea, it plays terribly in the MSM, and therefore will hurt his standing with independents in key battleground states.

I will never understand how a group of such intelligent people can fuck up labeling something so consistently and historically. "Defund Police"? That sounds fucking horrific, and I understand the whole argument behind it (and agree with it).
    Article useful in two threads!

The President’s Drug Plan : Democrats Criticize Funding Plan : Object to Financing Fight on Drugs by Cutting Other Programs
    https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...646-story.html

That’s from 1989... We know how Biden will fund it.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi