Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    More peanuts for the peasants. How nice of them. It'd be nice not to have a Congress that simply capitulates all their duties and just accepts whatever the Senate is willing to hand to them.

Meanwhile,
    https://www.pbs.org/newshour/economy...to-large-banks
    Senate is part of Congress, I think you meant the House. Democrats have pushed for more, including monthly payments, but unfortunately compromise is necessary to get anything passed and Senate Republicans have expressed zero interest in meaningful support for struggling families and more interested in protecting companies from liability lawsuits.

But as previously discussed, the House could pass an amazing bill and it would die in the Senate. Gotta play ball here, whether you like it or not, or there's no ballgame at all and people get nothing.

More peanuts for the peasants. How nice of them. It'd be nice not to have a Congress that simply capitulates all their duties and just accepts whatever the Senate is willing to hand to them.

Meanwhile,
    https://www.pbs.org/newshour/economy...to-large-banks
    Huh? How do propose they do that? Do you expect the house to bypass the president as well while they are at it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    Case in point, he lost a few thousand more votes today by calling women housewives. Trump fucks up so much in small and big ways Biden could honestly do nothing at all and be okay.

Sane people might think, "But if someone votes Trump despite him letting Putin put bounties on American troops, why would they care about being called a housewife?" All sorts of things can set off a particular individual. I'm guessing between now and November that Trump will manage to alienate some of his potential voters because he screws up in one specific way.

I suppose there are a certain number of women out there that didn't care about Trump bragging about sexually assaulting women, but draw the line at being called a housewife.
    Honestly, no one who would vote for Trump would care about that. You don't vote for 'Grab them by the pussy' and get offended by some old man misogyny.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

They are an equal branch of government. They start being by acting like it.
    Congress is a co-equal branch, ostensibly.

But the individual House and Senate, are not, and Republicans control the Senate. Do we need to go back to civics 101?

They are an equal branch of government. They start being by acting like it.
    The house is half of the congress which is a co-equal branch of government. How do you not know that?

In order to play ball you gotta step up to the plate. The house is seemingly just staying in the dugout and willing to pass whatever is given to them. Nothing the Senate passes can go to the president without the House approval. So it's not like they have no power in this dynamic.
    Horse shit. The House has passed tons of good legislation that's sitting on McConnels doorstep rotting. In this case, it's even more pointless to pass something they know Republicans won't even consider because that just delays the legislation even more. You seem to have no grasp of how bills are passed and reconciled, either. The bill we're getting is the compromise.

No you need not be a snide and condescending moderator and pass by the overall point that the House is being spineless.
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-...s/house-bill/1

Campaign finance and election reform. First bill the House passed in 2019 after the new session was seated. It has still not been brought up in the Senate.

This is my point, "spines" have nothing to do with it and you are continuing to show that you do not understand how Congress operates.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh right, the senate can pass whatever they want and congress has no part in it.
    Non sequitur
    /s

Oh right, the senate can pass whatever they want and congress has no part in it.
    Where did I say that?

10+ Year Old Account
    You can’t respond to someone saying you don’t understand how congress operates by saying the above... it’s impossible... there is a fundamental misunderstanding within this post.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    I’ll take the free $2400, it’s more than nothing. The first stimulus bought my wife and I a Peloton. This one will buy the new Xbox, PS5 and 70” 4K tv for the game room.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course not, because Red Team Bad.
    Why is McConnell refusing to put up violence against women act’s renewal in front of Senate? It’s a rudimentary vote yes and move on... it’s not a contested issue... is it?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Well you saying I don't understand how Congress works, and seem to imply everything that has passed in the Senate and Signed by the President is all the GOP fault while they withhold all the House bills.
    How did I imply that?

No, let's be clear. Bills need to pass the Democrat controlled House and the Republican controlled Senate, before they're signed by Trump, a Republican. That means that any stimulus or aide packages need to have both support from Democrats and Republicans, meaning that the issues Democrats would want to push for likely monthly payments, would have to be agreed upon by Republicans in the Senate. Similarly, issues the Republicans in the Senate would want to push for like legal immunity for companies for liability, would have to be agreed to by Democrats in the House.

That means that neither side is going to get a bill that "they" want, and that both sides will have to compromise in order to pass legislation both houses of Congress can agree on and that Trump won't threaten to veto.

So, you support some of the proposals from Democrats like monthly payments? Great, I do too! But the reason that they didn't pass a bill with that included is because it's a non-starter in the Senate, which is controlled by Republicans. Hence why I say that your issues are with Senate Republicans, not House Democrats.

So which is it? Did the house pass the exact same disastrous bills the house did or did the Senate pass it without them?
    If the House hadn't passed it, there would be no bill at all and you'd be crying that Congress was doing nothing.

Are the 24 Democrats who voted against the Military Budget cut to help those in need during a pandemic going to ever be held to account or is it all the GOP fault?
    Absolutely, they'll have to explain their votes to the voters in their state and hope they can convince them to re-elect them when their terms are up.

No, because you're constantly making up arguments on my behalf while discussing the operations of Congress with little apparent understanding of how Congress functions.

Well you saying I don't understand how Congress works, and seem to imply everything that has passed in the Senate and Signed by the President is all the GOP fault while they withhold all the House bills.

So which is it? Did the house pass the exact same disastrous bills the as the Senate or did the Senate pass it without them?

Are the 24 Democrats who voted against the Military Budget cut to help those in need during a pandemic going to ever be held to account or is it all the GOP fault?

Everything considering, I am mostly happy with how Pelosi and others are dealing with the hand dealt to them. They are in a very disgusting and difficult situation. They really HAVE passed a lot of quite good bills, and the bad news is that McDonnell has been able to just ignore all of them. The worse news is: the media never talks about them, and people don't protest to get them attention. There really is nothing more that House democrats can do.

I agree that the democratic party is too militaristic. I agree that the democratic party is too aligned with wall street and not enough with main street. If we don't cream Trump in a landslide *AND* regain the Senate in 4 months, we'll have to wait another 4 years before having a chance of making useful progress on these, or any other issues.

I will also point out: since Sanders conceded, Biden has made quite a few surprising and significant moves to the left. The business community is already attacking his $775 billion in aid to care workers and others. This bill is not just him TALKING about lefty ideals, this is him putting them in action. The attacks are likely to escalate throughout the campaign season.

Red Team Bad is absolutely true. Blue Team is good enough for now. And Red Team is bad enough that we need a Blue Team CRUSHING victory.

And the most important part of your message is the obvious: RED TEAM BAD.

Thank you for that reminder!!!

I say they're being spineless, and you say they can't help it because the GOP won't take up the bills they propose.
    "Spineless" implies that they have something to gain by passing a bill the Senate won't take up.

Again, if they passed the bill you wanted, the Senate would tell them to kick rocks and you'd blame them for not getting anything done. Because yes, the Senate will not take up bills they don't want to, case in point HR1 passed in 2019.

"spines" have nothing to do with this, this is practical reality.

Well what did the GOP do when they only controlled one branch of government? Oh right they played hard ball, what has Pelosi and the house done in the pass couple years? Pass bill after bill that house wanted to see passed.
    And, unlike those bills passed, this one NEEDS to pass. The Senate hasn't taken up plenty of legislation they'd like for the same reason, because they know it'd be dead in the House.

So the GOP is unwilling to move but the democrats are willing to meet them? Seems pretty spinless.
    And neither party has gotten what they wanted for the past year and a half because compromise is needed. Again, welcome to practical reality.

You're continuing to live in a fantasy land of wishes and fishes.

The Senate responds to their respective constituents in their respective states. This is why McConnell isn't burying this bill. His numbers are down because his constituents are demanding it...something...anything be done.
    And right now he and everyone on the GOP are blaming Trump for the current delay. (The proposal won't be released until Monday)

In order to play ball you gotta step up to the plate. The house is seemingly just staying in the dugout and willing to pass whatever is given to them. Nothing the Senate passes can go to the president without the House approval. So it's not like they have no power in this dynamic.

- - - Updated - - -

Splitting hairs here, and I'm in between meetings at work. Co-equal is still equal to the Senate. Which was my overall point.

- - - Updated - - -

No you need not be a snide and condescending moderator and pass by the overall point that the House is being spineless.
    the house has passed a host of bills ranging from pandemic relief, voter rights to anti corruption bills, an excessive majority are still collecting dust on treason mitch's desk

I live in a place that hold my Democrats just as accountable for their inaction as you do the Republicans action.
    which is complete bullshit

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DocSavageFan View Post
    Why is Joe Biden hiding? He's conducted only one news conference (which allows reporter questions) in nearly 4 months.
    Trump is busy hurting itself in its confusion, no need to waste action points.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

They could, and here is a thought... Not pass one of the Bills the GOP wants to pass.
    I...what? I don't get what this has to do with anything. Are you arguing that they should hold another bill hostage to try to force Republicans to pass a stimulus/aide bill they want? You think Republicans would go for that? You think it wouldn't be a massive political hit to the Democrats, who would rightly be crucified to for playing hardball politics during a pandemic and fucking over the American people?

Are you fucking serious?

Hold up a defense budget bill until the Senate takes on some bills the house has passed. How hard is that?
    ...do you think the Defense Spending bill is something only Republicans care about? Do you think that Democrats don't have a lot of interests in there? That their constituents don't, and that they wouldn't be pissed at their Reps. for the bullshit? Do you think that, again, the Democrats wouldn't get rightly crucified politically for this?

Just because the Republican base doesn't care about how their Reps and Senators behave doesn't mean the Democratic party doesn't, either.

They are either complicate or the weakest house in the history of the US.
    Or, as is increasingly apparently, you have a purely fictional and fantasy based notion of how the government and Congress operates. Because everything you're describing is straight out of a political work of unbelievable fiction.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/21/trum...ense-bill.html

Oh right the Democrats probably wanted that equally as much.
    Do you know? Did you bother to research? What funding and amendments did Democrats push for? What did they get in? For some, are there industries in their district that have vested interests in this, meaning that their vote was very much in the interest of their constituents?

I mean, you're functionally acting like politics is black or white. And while it absolutely can be, when you're talking about practical governance it's not because, again, you need compromise. Defense spending, again, isn't purely a Republican issue.

Keep carrying their water. They've love ya for it.
    I mean, if you can't create a serious argument that would hold water, someone's gotta hold this bucket so the water doesn't all fall on the ground.

Because none of your arguments hold water.

"Just hold a bill hostage!"

Cool, you've now created a situation where any time the parties hold only one branch of Congress they'll never get anything done. Because each body will create their own, ideal legislation, pass it, and then hold everything else hostage until their bill is passed by the other body. Resulting in no meaningful legislation getting passed, no funding, no appropriations, just sending 535 people to Congress to sit around shooting the shit and collecting a paycheck for the taxpayers.

You're arguing for legislative anarchy.

Yupe, it's all the GOP fault. The Democrats are perfect, but they have no power.
    I get it, you really love this strawman. Except that's a gross misrepresentation of my posts that at this point it appears you aren't even reading. Is this just a reflexive post?