Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaetha View Post
    TBC required level 68 to get flying. It doesn't change the point you were trying to make, but it needed to be mentioned. Flying at level 60 was Cata.
    Oh yes i forgot about that! i was talking more so later, but yes you are correct. let me go fix that.

I'd rather they just remove flying altogether. In my opinion it just devalues the open world and makes the game feel more cramped than what it actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by czarek View Post
    That "compromise" its just time gateing = cut content in time to keep subs for a long term imo but that is another story. For me its no problem and this is quite good. But for someone who did it back than could be a little pain :P I was almost sure they will give it to us just like that. And thats why ive never done pathfinders.
    It's not a problem that can be solved, and there are people on both sides of it. Raiding is time gated too. In fact, almost everything is time gated(either artificially, like raid lockouts, or naturally, like a rep grind) and always has been. No amount of buzzwords are going to change that.

Also, getting pathfinder is trivial if you actually play the game, but almost no one on these forums seems to actually play the game. They're like people that say they want to go out drinking and nurse the same beer all night. A waste of time and space.

It's astonishing that some people are oblivious to the fact that Pathfinder achievements are just time gates. Blizzard doesn't care whether players want flying or not, they want more players logged in for longer periods so they can make more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindon View Post
    I'd rather they just remove flying altogether. In my opinion it just devalues the open world and makes the game feel more cramped than what it actually is.
    Unfortunately, the cat's out of the bag, and it's too powerful to remove it now. It's why pathfinder is a thing though. The idea is you get flying after you've "completed" the game. If it wasn't for gathering being so much faster with flying, I probably wouldn't care, but flying does make the busywork faster.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ErrandRunner View Post
    It's astonishing that some people are oblivious to the fact that Pathfinder achievements are just time gates. Blizzard doesn't care whether players want flying or not, they want more players logged in for longer periods so they can make more money.
    Considering pathfinder is things that people playing the game will have done anyway, that's patently false. Stop jumping at boogeymen.

Quote Originally Posted by czarek View Post
    That "compromise" its just time gateing = cut content in time to keep subs for a long term imo but that is another story. For me its no problem and this is quite good. But for someone who did it back than could be a little pain :P I was almost sure they will give it to us just like that. And thats why ive never done pathfinders.
    It's time gating, but I don't really see it as cut content (it's not really "taking" something else away). If anything it's also content bloating (makes most other gameplay a bit slower).

I can understand a first instinct of not liking a previous reward you put effort in becoming irrelevant. But the thing people need to realize is it was already made irrelevant the moment a new expansion came out. The value of being able to fly in WoD now is nowhere near the value of being able to fly in WoD while it was current content. That's even truer now that WoD will be even more completely optional as far as leveling goes. And obviously the same goes for Legion, and arguably BfA (the only difference being that will be the new players' obligatory leveling experience, plus it's more recent).

Considering pathfinder is things that people playing the game will have done anyway, that's patently false. Stop jumping at boogeymen.
    you'd be surprised how many people don't get it without actively putting in effort though. like honestly what do you need flying for, in wod the walk to the raid was 1minute, in legion you couldn't fly in argus, in BFA you can fly in vale/uldum without pathfinder anyways. You can get by without just fine even as a fairly hardcore player. and all i ttakes to not get flying is starting a patch late or hating WQs/dailies.

I've convinced a bunch of people to just get it, you'll appreciate it when you gotto come back here for some random ass quest in future expansions i said. jokes on me i guess :P.
    Last edited by Hellobolis; 2020-04-23 at 10:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not a problem that can be solved, and there are people on both sides of it. Raiding is time gated too. In fact, almost everything is time gated(either artificially, like raid lockouts, or naturally, like a rep grind) and always has been. No amount of buzzwords are going to change that.

Also, getting pathfinder is trivial if you actually play the game, but almost no one on these forums seems to actually play the game. They're like people that say they want to go out drinking and nurse the same beer all night. A waste of time and space.
    Yes, thats why i said that i other story. And yes, there is two sides ofc cant made happy both :P Its just a discuss about we are not changeing things

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    It's time gating, but I don't really see it as cut content (it's not really "taking" something else away). If anything it's also content bloating (makes most other gameplay a bit slower).

I can understand a first instinct of not liking a previous reward you put effort in becoming irrelevant. But the thing people need to realize is it was already made irrelevant the moment a new expansion came out. The value of being able to fly in WoD now is nowhere near the value of being able to fly in WoD while it was current content. That's even truer now that WoD will be even more completely optional as far as leveling goes. And obviously the same goes for Legion, and arguably BfA (the only difference being that will be the new players' obligatory leveling experience, plus it's more recent).
    Gateing is always about to give you a piece of cake not the whole cake at once. For me the only value is an effort putted in a thing. No matter of usability in actual content. When they remove it. Its worth nothing.
    Last edited by czarek; 2020-04-23 at 10:49 AM.

I do kinda wonder why BfA pathfinder isn't also being affected the same way. It's a newer expansion, sure, but with Shadowlands out and the ability to choose where to level (after the first character) it seems a bit odd to require that flying still has to be unlocked there but not in the other two expansions that previously required it.

I'm a bit concerned about all these leveling changes. You see I take wow very light hearted and to be honest I haven't even made it to play in BFA as I'm trying to play all classes in the Legion campaign. I don't think I'll make it to BFA before Shadowlands is implemented. I'm afraid if my quest progress in Legion will be erased with the leveling changes or if it will just change the level on my chars and that's it.

Anyone has any info on this? I know it's a noob question from a guy that plays wow since 2006 and I just hope I had the time to play it more nowadays

Quote Originally Posted by Mackwiss View Post
    I'm a bit concerned about all these leveling changes. You see I take wow very light hearted and to be honest I haven't even made it to play in BFA as I'm trying to play all classes in the Legion campaign. I don't think I'll make it to BFA before Shadowlands is implemented. I'm afraid if my quest progress in Legion will be erased with the leveling changes or if it will just change the level on my chars and that's it.

Anyone has any info on this? I know it's a noob question from a guy that plays wow since 2006 and I just hope I had the time to play it more nowadays
    Nothing will be erased. You’ll simply see your toons at another level/ilevel. They are changing numbers, not old quests like they did in Cata.

Best news I've heard so far since I found out leveling speed was slashed. Keep it up Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Zewks View Post
    Sooooo.... new players who are stuck leveling up in BFA zones from 10 to 50, and then Shadowlands from 50-60, will have to do the entirety of their leveling without flying.

It seems that in all their attempts to make the brand new player experience better this expansion, this one decision is going to override all the good changes for brand new players.

At least currently, new players can get flying at 60, and fly through BC, WotLK, Pandaria, and Cata. Sure, they hit a wall once they get to WoD/Legion/BFA... but there is a nice gap between where they can fly. if the 10-50 leveling experience is supposed to take a similar amount of time as the 1-110 experience, thats gonna be rough on new players without being able to fly in at least SOME of that content.
    A lot of the changes with leveling in mind seem very much in line with Valrysha's leveling feedback. Also less specific to your response, but I see people mentioning BFA Pathfinder still being in being somehow offensive. It took Valrysha about 12 Hours to level from 1-50 on a Paladin (No EXP Buffs, no Heirlooms) using BFA. Without flight. You can break that up into however many hours per day but I doubt it's 'too slow' for Altoholics and the BFA Leveling experience is made with no flight early in mind anyways. And there's no way to test that against expansions which DO have flight as an option with no pathfinder in place atm., as those expansion zones seem to be bugged or disabled.

I just don't see the merit in Pathfinder both existing or not existing in BFA. It literally does not matter a single bit. Every new player will start out on Exile's Reach on their first character. Every new player will go through BFA first before they get the option to level in other zones on a new secondary character. They literally can't get anywhere else. They will not be used to flying, because at no point in the 1-50 process will they have the option to. And the same goes for 50-60 in SL as well, so it's not going to feel like they are suddenly getting it taken away again for no reason. The 1-60 experience the first time around for an actual new player is quite simply guided all the way from 1-60.

And for everybody else? Just level where you can fly. Or don't be a petty shit and just get pathfinder, easy, problem gone for alt leveling.

It is astounding to me that people complain about this.

I never got WoD Pathfinder because I barely played that pathetic excuse for an expansion (which was undoubtedly worse than BFA for those arguing about it, even though BFA still sucks in it's own ways) I did get Legion pathfinder though, and I couldn't careless that someone like my brother who didn't bother with it can now fly around legion zones.

This is old legacy content that people do to farm mounts, pets, and transmog, letting people get around more easily makes sense.

Shadowlands is doing so much stuff for Wow that screams the devs are listening and I am very very happy about it.

Have we heard anything about the plans for flight in shadowlands? Or is it more pathfinder idiocy again?

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Have we heard anything about the plans for flight in shadowlands? Or is it more pathfinder idiocy again?
    Pathfinder again sigh!

Unfortunately, the cat's out of the bag, and it's too powerful to remove it now. It's why pathfinder is a thing though. The idea is you get flying after you've "completed" the game. If it wasn't for gathering being so much faster with flying, I probably wouldn't care, but flying does make the busywork faster.

- - - Updated - - -

When you can only do part of an achievement because they haven't released all of it, that is time gating. No boogeyman lol just plain ol' definitions.

Does anyone else think that Blizzard didn't announce BFA flying without Pathfinder 2 - Electric Boogaloo is because we have a 100% rep buff up for a month? Allied race rep requirements are already gone as discovered through datamining. Remove all the pathfinders and we end up with a rep buff that's good for unlocking Legion class hall armor sets for transmog and some other stuff. The biggest benefit was to those that needed to unlock allied races and pathfinders.

Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    Because flying is useful. The content itself is dated, but flying as a practice is handy.

I got the pathfinder achieve when it was relevant also and it sucked. It's great for others to have an easier time to gain it. I never understand why when something is introduced to make a process easier or more accessible to others, someone has to come out with the "WELL WHAT ABOUT THE WORK I PUT IT BEFORE?" shtick. Like if some compensation is needed for your time invested years ago. What's it matter? We, who worked for it, have taken advantage of it after the work put in long ago and now, a lot of those old pathfinders/systems make no sense in the current direction. It's just what it is.
    It does matter. It is beyond ridicuolous that you think players should be rewarded for refusing to do the content. By your dumb logic, we should be handed every single mount in old raids. After all it is irrelevant content.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Do you feel the same about gear from WoD raids? Achievements? Pets? Garrison rewards? The patch that added Draenor flying was almost 5 years ago (June, 23rd/24th, 2015). Why does it matter at all that someone is getting something that you have had for 5 years? You spent time using them when they were relevant. You didn't waste anything.
    But you did waste time. Why do the content if they are just going to hand it to you for free. Players should never be rewarded for refusing to do the required content. Lower the requiremenst speed up the xp gains, but don't outright remove.