Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Ouch! There's a new bug going around.

Just when you thought 2020 could not get any worse. Now we have giant hornets with freakish eyes and a venomous sting to add to this year's list of worries.
    For the first time, Asian giant hornets have been spotted in the United States, specifically in Washington state, scientists say. Beekeepers have reported piles of dead bees with their heads ripped off, an alarming sight in a country with a rapidly declining bee population.
    At more than two inches long, they're the world's largest hornets with a sting that can kill humans if bitten multiple times, according to experts at the Washington State University. Researches have nicknamed them "murder hornets."

"They're like something out of a monster cartoon with this huge yellow-orange face," Susan Cobey, a bee breeder at the Washington State University's department of entomology, said recently.
    Source: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/03/u...ets/index.html

Maintain social distance from them, their stinger can even go through a bee keeper's suit.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Well honey bees need to die but not this way. This creates a new problem

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Well honey bees need to die but not this way. This creates a new problem
    Honey bees? Or honey bee farming?

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Honey bees? Or honey bee farming?
    Honey bees the European bees in general the wild honey bees

10+ Year Old Account
    Well honey bees need to die but not this way.
    Wait what..?

10+ Year Old Account
    Has always, americans over-exagerating.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_hornet
    Yes they agressive, they rarely kill humans, and yes we have had those here in Europe for some years and they classified as an invasive species.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Wait what..?
    They are an invasive species that starve off our native bees. They don’t evolve quickly nor do they fully pollinate fields unlike native bees.

10+ Year Old Account
    They don’t evolve quickly nor do they fully pollinate fields unlike native bees.
    That is because they not Bee's at all, they Wasps, they eat the Bees .

10+ Year Old Account
    They are an invasive species that starve off our native bees. They don’t evolve quickly nor do they fully pollinate fields unlike native bees.
    Mm, the whole population of the country is an invasive species, wielding such knowledge what would be your next turn?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    I am saying that bees need to indeed die, but not this way because then we just end up with another problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    He's talking about the Honey Bees which are an introduced/ invasive species that has displaced many native species in their conquest. Since they're useful to humans, most find this endearing.

Vs the Assassin Wasp, which is a new invasive species that they think they may have a chance to prevent from gaining a foothold if they get them early enough. They are evil and must be destroyed.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    Mm, the whole population of the country is an invasive species, wielding such knowledge what would be your next turn?
    Why the sarcastic insult?

If you lack knowledge about the issues of bees simply do not speak on it or perhaps just ask for information so you can inform yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another terrifying and destructive invasive species from asia? Someone tell the bark beetle they've got competition. It's like we need to put more effort into checking cargo or something.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Besides forming a danger to us, they also prefer to hunt other insects like bee's. An insect we need that is already struggling.

Looking at the comparison chart, i find the european ones big already that i spot at least a few times this summer. Has to be a way of introducing a natural predator that can combat these wasps or not?

It's CNN, so it's likely bullshit.
    Also, the author forgot to mention that this is Trump's fault somehow. For shame.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Besides forming a danger to us, they also prefer to hunt other insects like bee's. An insect we need that is already struggling.

Looking at the comparison chart, i find the european ones big already that i spot at least a few times this summer. Has to be a way of introducing a natural predator that can combat these wasps or not?
    Historically we have done very poorly at introducing "natural predators" to eat them, since those natural predators themselves lack natural predators.

See: snakes and mongoose.(mongeese?)
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    Historically we have done very poorly at introducing "natural predators" to eat them, since those natural predators themselves lack natural predators.

See: snakes and mongoose.(mongeese?)
    You are not wrong and perhaps the answer lies elsewhere, in AI perhaps utilizing a similar technique as we do to sterilize colonies of mosquitoes to control their populations.

Does seem that we are getting more and more issues with bugs, here it is aggressive wasps on other parts of the world they have to deal with other swarms.

I guess this is another downside of us ever expanding and shrinking natural habits of other animals and insects.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    You are not wrong and perhaps the answer lies elsewhere, in AI perhaps utilizing a similar technique as we do to sterilize colonies of mosquitoes to control their populations.

Does seem that we are getting more and more issues with bugs, here it is aggressive wasps on other parts of the world they have to deal with other swarms.

I guess this is another downside of us ever expanding and shrinking natural habits of other animals and insects.
    There's a reason that when people talk about nuclear apocalypse it's a joke-not-a-joke that cockroaches will be the only thing that survives. Insects are incredibly resilient(in a general sense, clearly bees are having some trouble) and many are capable of surviving in nearly any kind of environment.

Typically, hunting down hives and destroying them is the best approach until the problem becomes too wide-spread and then the answers are usually toxins, which damage other species as well. So yeah, pretty much the same way we deal with mosquitoes now. Speaking of which, there was also some talk of genetically engineering mosquitoes to reproduce less, or be less fertile or something. So I'd imagine a similar approach could be taken with any other bug. Though there's always the risk of introducing a genetically modified species into the wild. Pandoras Box and all that.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    There's a reason that when people talk about nuclear apocalypse it's a joke-not-a-joke that cockroaches will be the only thing that survives. Insects are incredibly resilient(in a general sense, clearly bees are having some trouble) and many are capable of surviving in nearly any kind of environment.

Typically, hunting down hives and destroying them is the best approach until the problem becomes too wide-spread and then the answers are usually toxins, which damage other species as well. So yeah, pretty much the same way we deal with mosquitoes now. Speaking of which, there was also some talk of genetically engineering mosquitoes to reproduce less, or be less fertile or something. So I'd imagine a similar approach could be taken with any other bug. Though there's always the risk of introducing a genetically modified species into the wild. Pandoras Box and all that.
    Well even in the case of bee's it is for a large part that we shrunk their natural habitats that is not even talking about the crazies going around setting fire to other beekeepers their hives because that has become a thing apparently.

Hmm did not read about altering mosquitoes yet only that through AI they managed to separate the males from the females what caused swarms to shrink as they couldn't reproduce.

Aren't certain "killer bees" genetically modified or is that an old wives tale?

Giant hornets can safely go extinct.
    The day that ever happens all of Asia will have a month of celebrations.