Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    Oh of course. You can have a faster paced team-work game AND have it be efficient. Unfortunately since the ARPG is very focused around personal expression in your builds this also means you have to sorta cater to a lot of those builds - and that's a huge thing for the ARPG that many other games don't have anymore.
    Yeah, that's another big point i missed. ARPGs tend to have a "difficulty cap" where if you are geared/leveled enough you can beat the content - this makes so many more builds have representation and the fantasy of "having your own personal character" is very strong, because it translates directly into the playstyle and game pace.

When you put things like organized group play, tactics/mechanics, or infinitely scaling content this kinda falls down, as you have performance requirements to "meet", be it doing a task in time, or compare your speed to other players. You can see it in D3 - any build can do everything, but climbing GRs. So, everyone went for the same builds because they were the strongest at it and there was nothing else to do.

In D4, when they said that dungeons will have a level cap, i was genuinely happy. This coupled with good balancing makes so many more builds can clear content and farm gear, as if you reach the "doable" threshold, a build is automatically good to go. You can add clear time ladders, but that is just an addition and not the main focus of the game.

In that regard, another thing that ARPGs nail is the total lack of competition. I mean, it's a competition against your self and putting yourself objectives to reach, without having to deal with stuff like "need achievement to join group". I know it's not a game's fault but a player's one, but if game structure doesn't really allow for it, then it dies automaticaly.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

I guess you can say I "liked it" from the standpoint of I played through it a handful of times, but for some reason I thought it wouldn't be the mind-numbingly boring repetitive game of the past. I can't understand how people can play it more than a handful of times.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Yeah, that's another big point i missed. ARPGs tend to have a "difficulty cap" where if you are geared/leveled enough you can beat the content - this makes so many more builds have representation and the fantasy of "having your own personal character" is very strong, because it translates directly into the playstyle and game pace.

When you put things like organized group play, tactics/mechanics, or infinitely scaling content this kinda falls down, as you have performance requirements to "meet", be it doing a task in time, or compare your speed to other players. You can see it in D3 - any build can do everything, but climbing GRs. So, everyone went for the same builds because they were the strongest at it and there was nothing else to do.

In D4, when they said that dungeons will have a level cap, i was genuinely happy. This coupled with good balancing makes so many more builds can clear content and farm gear, as if you reach the "doable" threshold, a build is automatically good to go. You can add clear time ladders, but that is just an addition and not the main focus of the game.

In that regard, another thing that ARPGs nail is the total lack of competition. I mean, it's a competition against your self and putting yourself objectives to reach, without having to deal with stuff like "need achievement to join group". I know it's not a game's fault but a player's one, but if game structure doesn't really allow for it, then it dies automaticaly.
    Yeah their caps tend to vary and are always barred by the harder difficulties. You see this directly with WoW and higher M+ and Mythic raiding - you have to have optimal builds and not the builds you want. Same for climbing GRs and such - you need the optimal build, otherwise you'll be stuck at lower GRs. And honestly, this is a fine system - have a threshold you put builds up to and let the min-maxers go at it.

This could even be a thing for group play, however it is a more difficult road to go down. Because it involves a team of players and that immediately needs to have people work together and what not. And competition exists in some ARPGs (Especially for loot), doesn't mean they die right away - it's just very fickle (Or old-school like D2).

I played it since release for a good chunk of time. It took a long time for it to become what it should have been on release, and because of this, it ruined most peoples experience of the game. Overall I would have to say I did not like D3, here's hoping D4 is better.

Diablo III had good intentions, but extremely poor execution.

Right now every boss in the game is a big loot pinata and you're showered with legendary items chasing after the perfect stats, ancient items, primal ancient items, ultra primal items, limited edition ultra primal ancient items.

Blizzard completely missed the mark on what makes Diablo II a great game and there's too big of a disconnect between the devs and the Diablo community that I don't think they'll every be able to get it right. Ever.

It was a good arpg but it was not a very good Diablo game in my opinion. It felt to torn apart from the Diablo games that had come before.Same thing i see with 4.This new Blizzard doesn't seem to understand what made D2 and D1 so special.But back to D3,i played it for a long time and i had fun but never had that Diablo experience that i still get when i go back and play 1 or 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Diablo III started out with some serious flaws that undermined its general game mechanics and rendered the game into more of a frustrating endeavor at the higher levels of play. The "Loot 2.0" patch, and removal of the RMAH, definitely improved Diablo III overall, and RoS did so even further. I think Diablo III is generally a good game as it stands now, it has some flaws like being a bit formulaic or repetitive which limits its overall longevity, but it's always fun to jump in and play for a bit here and there. In the long-term sense I can say I generally liked it, despite its rough beginning and growing pains.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

D3 has its flaws, and plenty of them - mostly because it has too little variation at endgame, and is too quick to put you in the degenerate grind state where you pimp out marginal stats and pooragon points. But the core gameplay loop is fun, for as long as it lasts.

I am personally quite fine with just playing for 1 week every time a new season rolls around. I don't have to pay anything, and it's always there for me when I want it. I've gotten more than enough value out of it, and keep on getting more as time goes on. It doesn't have to be perfect for me to enjoy. PoE, by contrast, is too much the other extreme - I wouldn't even know where to start with that and it feels like if you're not doing it like it's your job you're doing it wrong. Don't need that. Don't want that.

Stood in the Fire ArMeD_SuRvIvOr's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It was and is an excellent game.

People expected a Diablo 2 clone with 3D graphics due to "bEtTeR gAmEpLaY aNd SyStEmS" when in fact the game revolved around endlessly running Baal. How fun.

Sure, Diablo 3 doesn't have a trading system or PvP, but the game is miles ahead in terms of playability, interface, responsiveness, gameplay and endgame systems. Sure, D3 requires an internet connection, but guess what? Everybody has one nowadays, even a crappy one. You played D2 solely because of item trading or pvp? Wrong choice of game, buddy.

Preferring D2 over D3 is like me saying I prefer D1 over D2 because D2 got too 'light' because of the color palette (which is something D2 advocates like to spout against D3) and there's no dungeon you have to delve in which got gloomier and scarier, plus the tone of the game was darker in D1.

Thing is people are speaking from a nostalgic point of view, when in 2000 most people were in their childhood/puberty/early teens and discovering internet and playing with unknown people across the world was new plus having much more free time to explore this new world of technology.

D2 was a mess gameplay wise, only 2 abilities could be active and you had to do gymnastics with your fingers to be able to switch on the fly, plus until not too long ago your character would be irredeemably ruined by spending 1 wrong skill point.

You only have to remember how people complained back then in the early forums. People complained about endgame, playability, hacks (which were RAMPANT), class imbalance and more. I need only guide you to waybackmachine.com and find old posts.

Yes. Diablo 3 is a huge improvement. Diablo 2 is a thing to forget. I have spoken. No, it's not a sin to dislike D2.
    Last edited by ArMeD_SuRvIvOr; 2020-09-25 at 06:21 PM.
    Really sucks if they start to limit their vision for an expansion just to get the next one out faster.
    BLOOD DPS. Never forget. Still campaigning to get you back, babe.

If all loot was possible to drop at soloable difficulty for casual players.
    If loot had fewer stats so you instantly knew if its was good or bad and no reforging.
    If they managed to prevent botting so they didnt have to punish soloplayers, if you want loot you really cant solo D3.

Then D3 would be far superior to D2, but now I rather play D2.
    Whats the point of a loot game when you cant get the best loot and if you actually get it you cant trade it for something you really want instead.

I do revisit D3 now and then, but after i played it though one time I quit. When I revisit D2 I always end up having made a couple of characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodonius View Post
    If all loot was possible to drop at soloable difficulty for casual players.
    If loot had fewer stats so you instantly knew if its was good or bad and no reforging.
    If they managed to prevent botting so they didnt have to punish soloplayers, if you want loot you really cant solo D3.

Then D3 would be far superior to D2, but now I rather play D2.
    Whats the point of a loot game when you cant get the best loot and if you actually get it you cant trade it for something you really want instead.

I do revisit D3 now and then, but after i played it though one time I quit. When I revisit D2 I always end up having made a couple of characters.
    What loot requires a group? I have every single cube slot filled for all classes, have collected every set in the game for every class. I have gotten every legendary item and the uber rare ones. I have done this all solo. I am shocked to find out there are items you can only get while grouped. Prey tell, what are these items?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ArMeD_SuRvIvOr View Post
    It was and is an excellent game.

People expected a Diablo 2 clone with 3D graphics due to "bEtTeR gAmEpLaY aNd SyStEmS" when in fact the game revolved around endlessly running Baal. How fun.

Sure, Diablo 3 doesn't have a trading system or PvP, but the game is miles ahead in terms of playability, interface, responsiveness, gameplay and endgame systems. Sure, D3 requires an internet connection, but guess what? Everybody has one nowadays, even a crappy one. You played D2 solely because of item trading or pvp? Wrong choice of game, buddy.

Preferring D2 over D3 is like me saying I prefer D1 over D2 because D2 got too 'light' because of the color palette (which is something D2 advocates like to spout against D3) and there's no dungeon you have to delve in which got gloomier and scarier, plus the tone of the game was darker in D1.

Thing is people are speaking from a nostalgic point of view, when in 2000 most people were in their childhood/puberty/early teens and discovering internet and playing with unknown people across the world was new plus having much more free time to explore this new world of technology.

D2 was a mess gameplay wise, only 2 abilities could be active and you had to do gymnastics with your fingers to be able to switch on the fly, plus until not too long ago your character would be irredeemably ruined by spending 1 wrong skill point.

You only have to remember how people complained back then in the early forums. People complained about endgame, playability, hacks (which were RAMPANT), class imbalance and more. I need only guide you to waybackmachine.com and find old posts.

Yes. Diablo 3 is a huge improvement. Diablo 2 is a thing to forget. I have spoken. No, it's not a sin to dislike D2.
    I have no issues with people saying they like D2 over D3. I like FF6 more than any of the ones that came afterwards. It's called preference. But saying D3 is a bad game is just wrong. I believe these are the same people that mistake need and want all the time too.

Yes I liked it, esp agyer RoS expansion release and Loot 2.0

[QUOTE=SirBeef;52674575]What loot requires a group? I have every single cube slot filled for all classes, have collected every set in the game for every class. I have gotten every legendary item and the uber rare ones. I have done this all solo. I am shocked to find out there are items you can only get while grouped. Prey tell, what are these items?

- - - Updated - - -

People say differante things, some that its just a the dropchance that increase with torment lvls others say that you cant get the best affix on low levels and that was how I understood it.
    Anyway even if all items can drop at lvl 1 torment you still have to do timed events on high level to get your gem to max and thats not something a casual player can do solo.

Loved the game play, but hated the Disney diablo story and graphics.

The graphics should’ve been so much more grim, and the story should’ve been more R rated and darker rather than “Disney presents diablo 3”

D3 was a blast, i come back for seasons often (but usually quit soon after getting a new character geared and to torment 16). Its just that the game is very old now and lost its shine.

i believed it was a great game. Deff more content then Diablo 2 but they need to take the best of both worlds and bring it into the next diablo game. Trading and more complicated stats and builds/items would be great. It deff does need a darker feel next go around.

D3 is a great game. Classes are unique, combat styles are fluid and interesting. It's just very dependent on specific gear choices. I tried going back to d2 and it just wasn't as fluid as d3 is but they could've done a better job at early execution.

[QUOTE=Bodonius;52674606]
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    What loot requires a group? I have every single cube slot filled for all classes, have collected every set in the game for every class. I have gotten every legendary item and the uber rare ones. I have done this all solo. I am shocked to find out there are items you can only get while grouped. Prey tell, what are these items?

- - - Updated - - -

People say differante things, some that its just a the dropchance that increase with torment lvls others say that you cant get the best affix on low levels and that was how I understood it.
    Anyway even if all items can drop at lvl 1 torment you still have to do timed events on high level to get your gem to max and thats not something a casual player can do solo.
    But that's shifting the goalposts to now casuals need to group. Anyone who wants to play the game solo has access to every item in the game. There are plenty of solo players and we do just fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like it for what it is, a mindless ARPG until you hit higher difficulties. Granted, I got it for free from the MoP season pass and only had to pay for Reaper of Souls, which vastly improved the game, so as a consumer my opinion is skewed since the bad part of the game was 'free to play' for me.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!