View Poll Results: does your phone number have an area code you've lived in?

Voters
17. This poll is closed
  • yes

13 76.47%
  • no

4 23.53%
Page 1 of 2
LastLast

does your phone number have an area code you've lived in?

does your phone number have an area code you've lived in?

Just wondering how scrambled this is getting.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would you have an area code in your phone number?

Is this some USA thing?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post

Is this some USA thing?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lan_area_codes Its a NA thing yes all phone numbers have a 3 digit prefix based on geographic area.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

Is this some USA thing?
    you don't have a 3 digit area code before your phone number? Its a normal thing here in the u.s. for as long as I've been alive

the area code represents which part of the country and state you live in
    We cannot go back. That's why it's hard to choose. You have to make the right choice. As long as you don't choose, everything remains possible.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EnclosedOne View Post
    you don't have a 3 digit area code before your phone number? Its a normal thing here in the u.s. for as long as I've been alive

the area code represents which part of the country and state you live in
    All countries have a "country dial-in codes" most other countries are too small have other codes within that code places like Russia China and India might so Its mostly a North America thing.
    Last edited by Firatha; 2020-04-25 at 01:17 AM.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

10+ Year Old Account

Is this some USA thing?
    Canada also. It's how our phone numbers operate here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_...Numbering_Plan

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Only land-lines have an area code here.

But I always find this wierd

A leading 0 must be dialed when calling from within Germany and must be omitted when calling from abroad.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    Only land-lines have an area code here.

But I always find this wierd

A leading 0 must be dialed when calling from within Germany and must be omitted when calling from abroad.
    the leading zero is replaced with 049 then, thus the zero reappears in front of country code
    but area code is not mandatory within same area, some are small, some large.
    Last edited by ranzino; 2020-04-25 at 11:26 AM.

15+ Year Old Account

Is this some USA thing?
    How old are you?
    Yes, we have area codes in Finland. All landline phone numbers have an area code.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Since it was a requirement for the analogue phone switching systems every country in the world has a pre-number on landlines that pinpoints your geographical location, and I am not aware that any country ever opted out of it since digitalizing the phone system.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firatha View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lan_area_codes Its a NA thing yes all phone numbers have a 3 digit prefix based on geographic area.
    Does cellphones have a geographic prefix code?
    In Sweden landlines got that. Along with the country tag. Cellphones got (originally) carrier prefixes. That has since gotten jumbled all to hell, originally it was carrier based. Same some special prefixes based on other stuff.

Since fewer and fewer people have landlines, or at least use landlines, the geographic prefix is less and less thought of.
    - Lars

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    Does cellphones have a geographic prefix code?
    In Sweden landlines got that. Along with the country tag. Cellphones got (originally) carrier prefixes. That has since gotten jumbled all to hell, originally it was carrier based. Same some special prefixes based on other stuff.

Since fewer and fewer people have landlines, or at least use landlines, the geographic prefix is less and less thought of.
    I do not have a cellphone, but my wife does and she has to use a area code also when she makes calls, just like we do with our landlines. Not sure if it is that way in all states in the US.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do not have a cellphone, but my wife does and she has to use a area code also when she makes calls, just like we do with our landlines. Not sure if it is that way in all states in the US.
    This is @ you and anyone else who's reading:

While within the USA (including Alaska, Hawaii, Guam and Puerto Rico) you need to use an area code to call anyone who doesn't share your area code. You can also prefix this with a "1", but this isn't necessary. BUT it doesn't matter where someone with the same area code travels within the USA, you'll never need to dial their area code(excepting special circumstances). The "1" is actually the USA's dial-in code. (When it comes to phones, America actually is #1.)

Canada's numbering plan is actually the same as the USA, so you don't need to dial out or dial in when calling to/from Canada to the USA.

The USA's dial-out code is 011. Followed by whatever other country you want to call, like Mexico +52 or UK +44. All phones use the same phone code format, one set of 4 and 2 sets of 3. XXX (your area code), YYY (your local code), ZZZZ (your actual number within your local code). But every country likes to be special and organize them them differently, so sometimes you'll see XXXX-YY-ZZZZ, or XX-YY-ZZZZZZ, but it will typically be a 10 digit code. Some countries are special snowflakes though and have shorter numbers, simply because there aren't enough people to warrant longer codes.

Cell phones get "area codes" based on where they are activated (typically using the zip-code of your address for reference).

EDIT: to answer the OP, yes my phone number has my area code in it. It's actually pretty difficult to get an area code that isn't yours anymore, though you can do it by having a PO Box or a mail forwarding service outside your normal area code listed as your primary address. Well, okay, not that difficult, but still, you gotta put some effort in.
    Last edited by Sunseeker; 2020-04-25 at 02:00 PM.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I even have a very very old phone with a Manitoba area code that I still use when talking to my mom and close relatives.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firatha View Post
    All countries have a "country dial-in codes" most other countries are too small have other codes within that code places like Russia China and India might so Its mostly a North America thing.
    Yeah I know there are country codes but I honestly had no idea there were area codes within countries as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    How old are you?
    Yes, we have area codes in Finland. All landline phone numbers have an area code.
    We do? Wait is that the "06" part before landline phone numbers? I've never really though about what that part's for. I've called maybe a dozen different landline phone numbers over the past 2 decades and haven't used a landline phone since the 90's so this isn't really something I know anything about

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    How old are you?
    Same thing in Portugal, with exception of cell phones.

15+ Year Old Account
    We do? Wait is that the "06" part before landline phone numbers? I've never really though about what that part's for. I've called maybe a dozen different landline phone numbers over the past 2 decades and haven't used a landline phone since the 90's so this isn't really something I know anything about
    Yes, 06 is an area code.

You always need an area code if you are calling outside your own area.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    yes, of course it is. If you look closer at her number the first 3 numbers are mostly your area as well.

We sure do.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Long time ago, long distance phone calls are very expensive.
    Some people's phone cannot call other area code without paying $100 deposit.