Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Recovery View Post
    Why dont you explain the point you think i missed, rather than making a baseless and vague comment?

For a new player, i understand why leveling is important, which i stated. Other than that, its useless.. All lore can be told through instances and end game content.. You dont NEED leveling hubs for it..

But it is easier for a person to digest what's happening as you experience it, thus the implementation of acquiring XP and the existence of that bar within the game. Telling the narrative of the story after finishing something in retrospect to what he has done would have the effect of : you could've told all these things to me earlier.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    You defining MMORPG as american is solely on you, that makes you irrelevant. Games like linage and all the other rubbish were successful for their times certainly as successful as everquest. Many people had their first experience with certain MMORPGs like Ragnarok Online, but their use was more localized comapred to internation endeavours, which obviously can't even hold a candle to the titans that make up the graphic in that article. I mean haven't even heard of dofus, yet it's more significant than warhammer ever was in the market.
    Wakfu is a nice game before it was known as Dofus.

The only way you're getting a 60 cap is if they introduce a prestige system for expansions. And that would be just as shit
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vertigo12 View Post
    Leveling entails questing. It is familiarization first with the surrounding as well as the general flow of the story or what's happening. Finishing a quest allows you to discover a location intelligibly not aimlessly and allows you to familiarize yourself with what is this place called, what resources can be found within it, what are your enemies you need to face for further encounters. Leveling is all about familiarization and a step by step process that one gets tired with for repeating after several character made and have to repeat the entire process just to reach max level, that is where the issue lies.
    Leveling is gaining a numerical level to simulate growing power. Questing happens with or with out levels. D&D functions perfectly fine with quests and stories even when characters are level capped or not even gaining levels. Because it is about the journey right? And not the numerical level.

Everything you described of what leveling is can happen with out levels at all. Leveling is simply a gating mechanic to aspects of the game.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    The only way you're getting a 60 cap is if they introduce a prestige system for expansions. And that would be just as shit
    Then the whole reach level 70 during TBC
    80 during WotLK
    85 at Cata
    90 at MoP
    100 during WoDs
    110 Legion and 120 BfA
    Has been thrown out as garbage and just invalidated all your efforts and time spent.
    It will all just end up as Feats of Strength which gives out nothing at all.

I'm not sure if it isn't mockery on every player who spend real money just to take those away and invalidate all your efforts

3+ Year Old Account
    But it is easier for a person to digest what's happening as you experience it, thus the implementation of acquiring XP and the existence of that bar within the game. Telling the narrative of the story after finishing something in retrospect to what he has done would have the effect of : you could've told all these things to me earlier.

- - - Updated - - -

Wakfu is a nice game before it was known as Dofus.
    I mean, thats your opinion. It is not necessary to gate end game content behind a level wall to tell a story.. There could be progressional dungeons that both pre raid gear you and tell wahtever story needs to be told in the progress.. There is absolutely no NEED for leveling or an experience bar...

Everyone enjoys wow for a different reason, but to me and several, several other players out there, leveling serves no purpose.

- - - Updated - - -

Then the whole reach level 70 during TBC
    80 during WotLK
    85 at Cata
    90 at MoP
    100 during WoDs
    110 Legion and 120 BfA
    Has been thrown out as garbage and just invalidated all your efforts and time spent.
    It will all just end up as Feats of Strength which gives out nothing at all.

I'm not sure if it isn't mockery on every player who spend real money just to take those away and invalidate all your efforts
    Who cares about the 10 levels we got in wotlk.. 6 expansions ago... Im sure there cant be many people out there that even think about that.. Downing the LK for the first time? Yea, we think about that.. Grinding from 70-80? I try not to think about it as it was very painful.

15+ Year Old Account
    The effort is not invalidated. They have had X amount of time to enjoy that effort. Levels, and the relative power, have always been changed each expansion. Just because they are being squished this time doesn't mean anything about the effort involved in gaining them was taken away from a player. You never lost your memories.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    The effort is not invalidated. They have had X amount of time to enjoy that effort. Levels, and the relative power, have always been changed each expansion. Just because they are being squished this time doesn't mean anything about the effort involved in gaining them was taken away from a player. You never lost your memories.
    100% this.. Also im sure there will be legacy achievements for you look at if for some reason peoples' memories start to fail them.

The concept of looking back on a leveling experience as nostalgic or enjoyable completely eludes me. I look back at the times i had with my friends playing wow.. But do i remember anything about leveling through feralas any of the times i did it? Absolutely not. lol

So... Intro starting area for new players will always be 1-10... Legacy Content will always be 1-40... previous expansion will always be 1-50... new expansion will always be 50-60.

Yeah, it's possible I suppose. As long as we stay exponentially more powerful than the previous 10 levels as to not slow down transmog farming then yeah... I guess it could work. I have to wonder if that exponential power growth is tied directly to item level and that is why we did not receive an ilvl squish this time around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

that would royally suck, it already sucks with how they are doing it now..... squishes shouldn't happen ever.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    that would royally suck, it already sucks with how they are doing it now..... squishes shouldn't happen ever.
    "squishes should never happen" - Yeah, cause what a joy it will be to hit level 200. Thats nonsensical.

Just another reason the level squish should be optional or canceled.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Healing Rain View Post
    Again, a level squish is inevitable in wows future if they want to draw in new players.. Do you know how mind numbingly insane it sounds to be a brand new player and to hear : "yeah dude, once you finish the seemingly endless grind to level 260, the game gets fun". There's no way i would come into wow as a brand new player and take on that kind of task, especially being an adult with children and a life. lol

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, thats your opinion. It is not necessary to gate end game content behind a level wall to tell a story.. There could be progressional dungeons that both pre raid gear you and tell wahtever story needs to be told in the progress.. There is absolutely no NEED for leveling or an experience bar...

Everyone enjoys wow for a different reason, but to me and several, several other players out there, leveling serves no purpose.

- - - Updated - - -

Who cares about the 10 levels we got in wotlk.. 6 expansions ago... Im sure there cant be many people out there that even think about that.. Downing the LK for the first time? Yea, we think about that.. Grinding from 70-80? I try not to think about it as it was very painful.
    Leveling from, 60-70 is different for TBC as to 71-80 in WotLK. The same 10 levels of leveling in WoD,Legion & BfA aside from storyline. Ofcourse it's because of the overall experience.

Downing LK during WotLK has a different experience compared to killing him solo at future expansions later. You rely on complying with the boss mechanics and have to deal with your team considering the group's average iLvl.

Maybe you expect WoW to be like DMC or other similar games but WoW would still retain its core identity as RPG. Heck even DMC, Darksiders have experience as part of level up mechanics to show character progression and story flow. If you have a knack for action-adventure games were "leveling" is almost neglible, there are lots of game titles you can play.

- - - Updated - - -

"squishes should never happen" - Yeah, cause what a joy it will be to hit level 200. Thats nonsensical.
    Perhaps that's the time for them to make a level squish.

Don't you think it's a good marketing strategy to include character boost for more higher max levels compared to purchasing one for level 60 Max and then next expac you want to boost yourself to 60 again. Kinda self contradictory and stupid.

They should've done a soft level readjustment instead of dropping everything back to 60.all they have to do was readjust the level bracket

1-90 TBC,WotLK,Cata,MoP
    90--110: WoD, Legion BfA
    110-120 Shadowlands
    Last edited by vertigo12; 2020-05-01 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Healing Rain View Post
    I'm sure someone can write you an interface addon that replaces the current level number with one that does lvl*2+10. A normal person would probably realize how pointless this bitching is because that is all that it takes to fix your issue.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I'm sure someone can write you an interface addon that replaces the current level number with one that does lvl*2+10. A normal person would probably realize how pointless this bitching is because that is all that it takes to fix your issue.
    That is the point. There was no need for them to cut the character level in half at this point of their game if they could've just tell the people since this expac is all about death. You will not gain max level instead your characters will be readjusted and instead level up from 110-120 and other expac will be readjust accordingly..

Are they implying that gameplaywise or storywise once you experience death,enter the world of the Dead, you loose XP and character level and it is reduced in half???

Sure, once the expac of Shadowlands is all said and done, they go Time travel 10.0 they can then cut character's exp and max level in half and still make total sense or excuse for their motion.
    Last edited by vertigo12; 2020-05-01 at 06:25 PM.

Considering we've had a stat squish TWICE we'll probably get level 60+ after Shadowlands, and another level squish in some later expansion down the road... assuming WoW is still around for another decade.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like if they wanted a permanent cap they'd do 50.... nostalgia aside, 60 is such a weird number to be stuck at forever.

There's frankly not much time left for WoW expansions-wise. Heck just going back to 100 would be another 10 years.

The big wild card here is leveling. Does it now go Exile's Reach > BFA >Shadowlands > 10.0? Do they rebalance everyting so BFA is cut? Or do they actually make a logical leveling flow and start building off there with 10.0?
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Considering we've had a stat squish TWICE we'll probably get level 60+ after Shadowlands, and another level squish in some later expansion down the road... assuming WoW is still around for another decade.
    They're not yet done with their mythos.
    Emerald Dreams hasn't been touched.
    Dragon Isle and Murozond , E d times
    Primal Azeroth is still far away
    Azeroth being taken over by Black empire completely
    Revisiting Argus and other intergalactic WoW expac and void shit
    Last edited by vertigo12; 2020-05-01 at 06:26 PM.

That is the point. There was no need for them to cut the character level in half at this point of their game if they could've just tell the people since this expac is all about death. You will not gain max level instead your characters will be readjusted and instead level up from 110-120 and other expac will be readjust accordingly..
    The change is about appearance to new players and giving at least a semblance of meaning to the levels. Saying something somewhere is not adressing new players in an adequate fashion and Blizzard probably realized that they can't forever live off their legacy and they need to gain new players as the older ones drop out over time. There is also a huge conceptual flaw in the current leveling system, because you don't gain anything for most of the levels below 100 and after that you barely gain anything at all other than being allowed to particiapte in (outdated) endgame content at 100, 110 and 120.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    I feel like if they wanted a permanent cap they'd do 50.... nostalgia aside, 60 is such a weird number to be stuck at forever.

There's frankly not much time left for WoW expansions-wise. Heck just going back to 100 would be another 10 years.

The big wild card here is leveling. Does it now go Exile's Reach > BFA >Shadowlands > 10.0? Do they rebalance everyting so BFA is cut? Or do they actually make a logical leveling flow and start building off there with 10.0?
    Well currently the flow is clearly tailored to lead into BfA. So while I could see them doing a permanent 50->60 expansion cycle, I think they intend to let it roll from here on out. And next expansion will be 60->70.

Also like FFXIV's plans to sum up all the previous story in some way, I think WoW should do the same for every expansion to give people that come into the game at a later date some idea of what happned before. There should be some chroniclers in the major cities that record (ideally via a cinematic) the events that happen during each expansion so people have an idea what the current game is about. That way skipping older content isn't as much of a narrative issue.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

They're not yet done with their mythos.
    Emerald Dreams hasn't been touched.
    Dragon Isle and Murozond , E d times
    Primal Azeroth is still far away
    Azeroth being taken over by Black empire completely
    Revisiting Argus and other intergalactic WoW expac and void shit
    Nothing them stopping them giving them the N'zoth treatment. All the build up for such an anticlimactic ending in a single patch and not an expansion.