Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Terry Pratchett novels to get ‘absolutely faithful’ TV adaptations

Stumbled on this today and I have to say I’m incredibly excited to see discworld get more adaptions with it being my favourite over all book
    series. It’s likely hopping for to much but I would absolutely love if every book got adapted even if it takes years.

On what would have been the late Discworld creator’s 72nd birthday, Terry Pratchett’s production company Narrativia has announced a new development deal to create “truly authentic … prestige adaptations that remain absolutely faithful to [his] original, unique genius”.
    The deal will see Motive Pictures and Endeavor Content team up with Narrativia, which Pratchett launched in 2012, to make several series adaptations of the late author’s fantasy novels. There are currently no details of which books the partnership will tackle, though many of Pratchett’s books have been adapted before: Sky has dramatised Hogfather, The Colour of Magic and Going Postal; Soul Music and Wyrd Sisters have been turned into animations, and Good Omens, starring David Tennant as the demon Crowley and Michael Sheen as the angel Aziraphale, was recently aired on Amazon Prime and the BBC, to positive reviews.

“The spirit of this new alliance has been forged from a shared love of the source material and a commitment to create an epic series, which will kick off with some of the most iconic titles in Sir Terry’s fiercely incisive and satirical universe,” they said.
    Pratchett’s daughter Rhianna, a co-director of Narrativia, said on Tuesday that Motive and Endeavor Content “perfectly share our vision” of what a Discworld screen adaptation should be.
    “Discworld teems with unique characters, witty narrative and incredible literary tropes, and we feel these should be realised on screen in a form that my father would be proud of,” she said.
    Wilkins, Narrativia’s managing director, said the new partnership meant that Discworld had “finally found its home”.
    “The Discworld books are a huge source of joy to millions of readers, and rightly so; every paragraph, phrase and footnote was crafted with brilliance and flair and we are committed to bringing Terry’s world to the screen with the respect and care it deserves,” he said.
    https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.theg...tion-discworld

What’s it about?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    What’s it about?
    A world, on a disc, on the back of four elephants, on the back of a turtle, that flys though space.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    What’s it about?
    It's a fantasy series set on the "Discworld", a flat planet balanced on the backs of four elephants which in turn stand on the back of a giant turtle. I've read only 3 books, but they are hilarious.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyron View Post
    It's a fantasy series set on the "Discworld", a flat planet balanced on the backs of four elephants which in turn stand on the back of a giant turtle. I've read only 3 books, but they are hilarious.
    The series never drops off, of the 41 books only 1 I would say is just ok and none are bad.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2020-04-29 at 08:19 AM.

Best books i read in my life....

I have all of them behind me in a bookshelf

The movies they made are... well BBC lowbduget... doesn't look good.

Hope the show will be better

They better get the right actor for Death.

Depends how far they want to push the "absolutely faithful" angle really. A complete 1:1 recreation on screen is both unrealistic and damaging, but as long as any changes aren't massively changing the narrative or the character's overall tone then i'm fine with that.

I'd be stoked though if The Truth was in their sights for screen adaptation though, man I loved that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    They better get the right actor for Death.
    They better get the right actors for all of them.

But as always, what lets the Discworld TV adaptations down is the lack of foot notes. It could be done with a narrator like Good Omens did I suppose.

I also don't believe the line "truly authentic" & "absolutely faithful" the new Nights Watch tv series has already taken some rather creative licence with the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by thrillhoose View Post
    I also don't believe the line "truly authentic" & "absolutely faithful" the new Nights Watch tv series has already taken some rather creative licence with the characters.
    The Watch series is a separate thing with BBC America and from what I understand Narrativia are involved in name only, they're trying to keep their distance where possible from it.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    A world, on a disc, on the back of four elephants, on the back of a turtle, that flys though space.
    I remember playing Discworld MUD some years ago and I thought it was cool, but i never read the books, what is your opinion about them?

Quote Originally Posted by vitor210 View Post
    I remember playing Discworld MUD some years ago and I thought it was cool, but i never read the books, what is your opinion about them?
    Quite possibly the greatest series ever written. But that's just my opinion. The intelligence, humour and wit is second to none.

Stumbled on this today and I have to say I’m incredibly excited to see discworld get more adaptions with it being my favourite over all book
    series. It’s likely hopping for to much but I would absolutely love if every book got adapted even if it takes years.

Fantastic news.

Discworld is definetly one of my favourite book series - such a shame the world died with Author have this slefish desire that someone could have continiued his work :/

- - - Updated - - -

Fantastic news.

Discworld is definetly one of my favourite book series - such a shame the world died with Author have this slefish desire that someone could have continiued his work :/

10+ Year Old Account
    The series never drops off, of the 41 books only 1 I would say is just ok and none are bad.
    41? Jesus and I thought the Wheel of Time was big.

Anyway, only thing I know, or more accurately remember, is the "That doesn't work." line from the video game

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post

Anyway, only thing I know, or more accurately remember, is the "That doesn't work." line from the video game
    To be fair, 10% of Wheel of Time is Nynaeve tugging her braid or smoothing her skirt :P

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post

It's a lot of books...but most are pretty short in comparison to WoT ...and most of the books are pretty much self-contained stories. There are some characters that get multiple books...but a lot of the time you don't really need to have read previous books.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    It's a lot of books...but most are pretty short in comparison to WoT ...and most of the books are pretty much self-contained stories. There are some characters that get multiple books...but a lot of the time you don't really need to have read previous books.
    Other than the very first two, Colour of Magic & The Light Fantastic, I think every one of them is a stand alone story that is all set in the same world. There's call backs to past stories alot, but nothing that is actually needed to follow each individual story.

The Watch TV series looks like a complete travesty and I very much get the impression that Rhianna Pratchett is not exactly happy with their choices for, well, everything.

Terry Pratchett was very progressive in his views and in his writing. The series is filled with messages that were to be read as being about rights for gays, women, ethnic minorities etc, as seen through a fantasy world prism (though later on they tend to be a bit less subtle). And yet the producers of the show seem to think that he was just some old white male who couldn't understand anything and proceeded to change pretty much everything. Half the male characters are being gender flipped even when it makes no sense and apart from one or two characters the rest are being totally rewritten so that they bare no resemblance to the book characters. Take Lady Sybil for example - in the book she is a 40-something plus sized lady, a scion of the aristocracy and one of the nicest people around. She knows people and solves problems through knowing people and by organising. But in the show she somehow turns into a young, svelte, black vigilante. And that is just the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    The Watch TV series looks like a complete travesty and I very much get the impression that Rhianna Pratchett is not exactly happy with their choices for, well, everything.

Terry Pratchett was very progressive in his views and in his writing. The series is filled with messages that were to be read as being about rights for gays, women, ethnic minorities etc, as seen through a fantasy world prism (though later on they tend to be a bit less subtle). And yet the producers of the show seem to think that he was just some old white male who couldn't understand anything and proceeded to change pretty much everything. Half the male characters are being gender flipped even when it makes no sense and apart from one or two characters the rest are being totally rewritten so that they bare no resemblance to the book characters. Take Lady Sybil for example - in the book she is a 40-something plus sized lady, a scion of the aristocracy and one of the nicest people around. She knows people and solves problems through knowing people and by organising. But in the show she somehow turns into a young, svelte, black vigilante. And that is just the start.
    To be honest at this stage, the more it distances itself from the source material the better. At least then it can just stay as "inspired by Discworld series" and nothing else.

The creative license is with BBC America but Rhianna has made it clear she is not involved with it at all. Pretty safe to say it's probably something fans should avoid unless they REALLY want to watch it for some reason.