Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Should wow remove leveling?

I don't really think it offers much to the game anymore. Now I know that is subjective but would wow really be all that different if everyone started off the same level and simply gained whatever the next infinite currency is for completing quests?

Leveling doesn't really have any difficulty tied to it anymore and it seems like its just a grind and a way to sell boosts now.

I can't imagine playing an MMO without leveling so this is a huge no.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    short answer: no

longer answer: noooooooooooooo

10+ Year Old Account
    stop encouraging the developers.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Joke thread right?
    What game doesn't have leveling?

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    I can't imagine playing an MMO without leveling so this is a huge no.
    Would much change with the current game? Removed might of been to strong of a word... if the option to simply start level cap exists for every character would it change the game?

I quite like this thought... it would let them build a more cohesive levelling process overall, reminiscent of the gradual power build in classic—that made you feel like you genuinely were just a pleb soldier starting out and growing in power and influence over your travels. Not sure quite what the design would look like, but I think if you recreated that pace of levelling for a first toon, with threats that reflected your level (rather than a new recruit fighting on the front lines of a world ending threat), the story would feel more meaningful. It would be a lot of work though, creating new content that wasn’t as dependant on the timing of specific event in the Warcraft universe—so that it wasn’t confusing and out of date in a few years.

But yeah I think levels also make you feel like you’re just grinding through? Like, fill this bar, then this one. Ugh I still have to do this eight more times. Whereas even if it was just a variation on ‘you’re up to chapter 4 of 8’, that could make it more narrative focused? Less about the grind, more about engaging with the story.

No.

Is this an attempt to creater another blog post thread like the heirloom post?

i wish they would. HATE leveling, love end game

You pay $25 and you dont have to level.

Would be reasonable to do so with just having itemlevel to level up. They did the same thing in Destiny 2, no difference how it feels to play. And they are sorta removing levels for some other games, or at least making it easier to access the most important content in a game without requiring to level (for example, downsizing the level grinding the next Assassins Creed game).

Levels are just arbitrary values and numbers.

Personally a no from me. I love World of Warcraft because leveling experience is always better than the current content.

For example, Legion is something I never got to enjoy when it was the current. All the chores of being in a mythic raiding guild stained the entire experience so going back to older content was always my safe haven.

I am finally starting to enjoy WoD and Legion this year.

there are some people who enjoy more raiding and mythics than leveling, and others enjoy more leveling. The game needs both
    --- snip ---
    Last edited by Aucald; 2020-05-02 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Removed Meme Image

It is bad enough people can buy the boost to 120 and not have a clue how to play the class/spec. Do you really want people to just log into a new character and they just jump into current stuff without learning the basics while leveling?

100% with this. Leveling has no real purpose other than its "mandatory" for an mmo, you just go to the quest hub, autoaccept them all, run to the spot on your map, round up all mobs in sight and blast through them. Sprint back, turn in, repeat for 10 levels. No new abilities, nothing to train, no reason for your level to rise, considering all the mobs around you all level the second you do.

How about instead we just have a story that takes roughly 8-10 hours to play through then youre at endgame content.

Technically you could remove levels, and just give new characters their new spells, talents, and stat gains after completing certain quest criteria (either class quests, certain number of quests, completing a quest storyline, completing a dungeon), all which can be tuned to take approximately the same amount of time. Just simply remove “exp gained” and the numerical representation of “a level”.

There are ways to do it, but there probably has to naturally be a “power up” kind of process.
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

Quote Originally Posted by Laughingjack View Post
    I don't really think it offers much to the game anymore. Now I know that is subjective but would wow really be all that different if everyone started off the same level and simply gained whatever the next infinite currency is for completing quests?

Leveling doesn't really have any difficulty tied to it anymore and it seems like its just a grind and a way to sell boosts now.
    when an opionion is too extreme it's probably just wrong

make it faster? yes, make it more streamlined? yes but delete? absolutely not, why?

1)there are actually still new players that never leveld and wish to do so, not to mention that some older players still enjoy leveling occasionally

2)some people 'bond' with their characters through leveling and this is alot more important than it sounds, why? because when you bond with anything in the game you stay subbed!

3)despite players claiming to be above pretty much everything, leveling still helps learning the class due to PACING, leveling provides a relaxed learning curve rather

4)it would render a huge part of the world completely irrelevant (and no leveling zones are not irrelevant)

5)it requires work to make such a drastic change to the game, why work towards the wrong direction?

6)it would feel lame, like console cheating on single player games...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShawoman View Post
    It is bad enough people can buy the boost to 120 and not have a clue how to play the class/spec. Do you really want people to just log into a new character and they just jump into current stuff without learning the basics while leveling?
    Because the implications clearly were that each fresh char would be decked in heroic gear so they could jump straight into mythic?

No leveling is not the same as no introduction.
    Iirc trial classes gives you a few abilities at a time and an explanation.

I agree with OP. Leveling doesn't add anything ilvls aren't already adding. Apart from very minor upgrades in strenght for abilities, all levels are good for is access to gear with higher ilvls. Your ilvl is soft reset every patch and hard reset every expansion. What difference would it really make if your journey was collecting ilvl and AP (let's face it, never gonna go completely away) instead of XP? As of today, the only function of XP is to delay the collection of ilvl and AP.

The only case, and not one to be taken lightly, to be made for XP is that 3% of the playerbase would ever do a regular quest if they didn't have to. The RPG aspect would diminish because the devs wouldn't care to make an immersive world that players wouldn't see. Achievements and interest alone only matters to so many.

Edit: Well, pathfinder with flying reward would still force everyone through the quests anyway, so maybe there is no case for XP after all.
    Last edited by Tronski; 2020-05-02 at 06:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Joke thread right?
    What game doesn't have leveling?
    games?plenty lol,there are also mmo's that dont have traditional leveling systems,but they do have some kind of progression

Reset every 2 years is very important when using the power and stat rating system they use, they cannot only remove leveling but revamp the whole stat rating system aswell. I can see them just putting crit, haste, mastery to skill trees now, and just use a basic "power" stat which is very boring.