Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

Going further than tbc would be pointless wouldn't it?

Tbc was a great expansion that brought lots of new stuff to the table. Insane looking sets, great flying mounts and rep farms, sick races, arena and some of the best raids ever. Wotlk was more or less a continuation of this that didn't add anything new at all. Wotlk was also great and for some it was their first expansion that's why they value it so highly, it was also during wotlk that the esport wow scene thrived and we saw some of the best matches ever but no matter how good it was nothing new. If they release wotlk then they might as well release everything else. It would make more sense to release legion again instead of wotlk because legion was exactly like tbc, it added new stuff and changed a lot the world.

I understand why they would release tbc again, it was much different than classic with a completely new playstyle which was also fun but anything else more than this and I will be like WTF, it will be the first company releasing all their games for a second time. It will be total madness imo living the same cycle again.

Listen here Aizen mate, I'm sick and tired of twats like you slurring your utterly irrelevant opinions on these forums when clearly everyone isn't AIZEN. This is NOT World of Aizen right mate and if you think you're gonna stop me from sailing to Northrend, assaulting the shores and marching upon Icecrown merely to cry over an enemies death you're out of your mind. Have a fucking cuppa and sit down lad.

Rant over.

I always thought a cyclical release was the best way to preserve the game. It's not "pointless" past that. Mists of Pandaria doesn't exist anymore.

The only way to play the game I want to play legally is if they re-release it.

15+ Year Old Account
    LK definitely makes sense, the game community was at its peak and the game was also very good.
    After that it's increasingly more similar to retail and less interesting to replay imho, but it's of course subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by angrydave View Post
    Listen here Aizen mate, I'm sick and tired of twats like you slurring your utterly irrelevant opinions on these forums when clearly everyone isn't AIZEN. This is NOT World of Aizen right mate and if you think you're gonna stop me from sailing to Northrend, assaulting the shores and marching upon Icecrown merely to cry over an enemies death you're out of your mind. Have a fucking cuppa and sit down lad.

Rant over.
    yeah but there are others who want to assault the shores of dragon soul and kill the good old deathwing. For some deathwing was the end of wow. Can you stop them?

Wotlk capitalized on the successful concept of tbc, it was exactly the same. Cataclysm tried to continue with the same style and failed until legion released and the game changed again with new ideas in. I understand that Arthas was important lorewise and some may want to relive the fight but deathwing and Illidan were important too if not more important than Arthas.

If you ask me, lorewise legion was the end of wow with two fillers in-between.

Quote Originally Posted by Aizen244 View Post
    yeah but there are others who want to assault the shores of dragon soul and kill the good old deathwing. For some deathwing was the end of wow. Can you stop them?

Wotlk capitalized on the successful concept of tbc, it was exactly the same. Cataclysm tried to continue with the same style and failed until legion released and the game changed again with new ideas in. I understand that Arthas was important lorewise and some may want to relive the fight but deathwing and Illidan were important too if not more important than Arthas.

I'm killing that bloody dragon. Piss off lad will ya.

-angrydave

Ending the "Classic" tab at Wrath just makes sense, given that WoTLK was the last time that the classic world was used. Also Artha's, is one of the MOST important lore characters still to date. Without him, the scourge would not really exists to extent it does. Even with Retcons and other changes Arthas's impact has remained and began growing. He tilted the balance of the world and essentially created the most dangerous threat that even the legion feared. Deathwing was more of a eh there are some old gods, and a precurser to setting up the void story, not nearly as relevant to Arthas or Illidan

Stopping at TBC would be super weird. WotLK is lamost like the third act in a trilogy. The initial release setup the confines of the world and introduced us to everything, TBC was a departure from the norm that took us on a side trek, and WotLK was the final act where we confronted the biggest threat that we knew of. It was when everyone got their payback.

Without WotLK, we never get the big payoff. We never really get a chance to have a hugely personal "win".

I'd always assumed, as soon as TBC classic was on the table, that WOTLK would be the end of the classic trilogy.

OPs argument is "I like TBC best, so it should stop there" which is a flimsy one at best. You could make an argument for Wrath being released base on the sub numbers we saw in Wrath. That said, as long as they keep these classic servers separate (e.g. Classic, TBC Classic, Wrath Classic, ect.) so that way people can experience the expansions as they were intended to be experienced then my opinion is that they should release all expansions.

I don't know... even though I played through Wrath, playing through it again would be bomb. Especially Wintergrasp. Such fun times. But yes, I think it should end with Wrath considering retail gives you the opportunity to play through the post Cataclysm world and all subsequent expansions.

Tbc was a great expansion that brought lots of new stuff to the table. Insane looking sets, great flying mounts and rep farms, sick races, arena and some of the best raids ever. Wotlk was more or less a continuation of this that didn't add anything new at all. Wotlk was also great and for some it was their first expansion that's why they value it so highly, it was also during wotlk that the esport wow scene thrived and we saw some of the best matches ever but no matter how good it was nothing new. If they release wotlk then they might as well release everything else. It would make more sense to release legion again instead of wotlk because legion was exactly like tbc, it added new stuff and changed a lot the world.

I understand why they would release tbc again, it was much different than classic with a completely new playstyle which was also fun but anything else more than this and I will be like WTF, it will be the first company releasing all their games for a second time. It will be total madness imo living the same cycle again.
    I don't think you've played either expansion very much...

The raids were completely different, in Every way you can imagine, From the Size of the raid group, to the type of mechanics, to the very basics of how classes played and functioned. nothing was the same, with the addition of Hardmodes, and later Heroic Modes, and both 10 and 25 man versions of each raid, instead of a static raid size depending on the raid (like in Vanilla and TBC)

They had NOTHING in common and was the reason there was a minority that was very vocal about their hatred for Wotlk, because they preferred how raiding worked in Vanilla/TBC, mostly TBC. as well as the first tier being a Joke, you had some Hardcore raiders being very disappointed.

Wotlk fleshed out the class designs massively, which had a big impact all around, but the biggest impact of all, was in PVP, where Wow Arena was even removed from the MLG lineup, so i would hardly say the E-sport scene "thrived", more like "shriveled" even tho wow arena was more popular than ever amongst the players, this was NOT reflected on the E-sport scene, and theres some fair arguments to as of why, personally me and all the guys I play with in PvP think back to TBC when we think of historical matches, Orangemarmalades 1v3 will never be forgotten.

so considering you obviously didn't play either of the expansions very much, what made you post this? where does this conviction come from?

Re releasing expansions just to stop at a certain point would be a mistake

They are better off sand boxing it further and adding horizontal content

If the intent is to stop at any certain point, it would be the nail in the coffin for classic

The end would have to be WotLK - The culmination of the "Warcraft 3" storylines.

It's clear that after the WC3 source material was exhausted at the end of WotLK that there wasn't really a great plan for a follow-up. Deathwing is forgettable at best, hated at worst. I'd say until Legion the game really didn't have a single memorable antagonist. I'm not sure it's a coincidence that subscriptions started their steady slide downwards after WotLK, and only spiked again for longer than the launch window for Legion.

I hate to think the game is THAT tied to memorable storylines, but it appears it may be. While some of the more die-hard story folks appreciated Azshara, I don't think she was enough to bring people back to BFA. N'Zoth was too deep into the least friendly expansion for newcomers and alts ever made (and it's not even close - the catchup mechanics just aren't anywhere near enough when coupled with the insane RNG).

If there's anything about Shadowlands that concerns me, it's that it's a whole new batch of players, and they're taking the story off the rails for the first time.
    Last edited by Wheeler; 2020-05-04 at 07:56 PM.

Re release WotLk makes a lot of sense. I don't see the same numbers, interest wise, for a CATA re release tho. Maybe they will still do it but with way less servers.

It depends on the community I guess. But LK was the pinnacle of wow popularity, so I would think to stop there. It also depends on how exactly they handle the transition from 1.13 to 2.x. If what they do isn't popular then they may not do it at all.

I wouldn't be upset to see servers at the end of each expansion, but that would be 9 segments of the game. And that's not very practical.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Can see it ending with WotLK. Not much reason not to bring out WotLK as well though. WotLK still added more depth to the game (deeper talent trees, glyphs, dual specialization etc.) as well as QoL changes that were actually good (mount tab, pet tab, faster mounting etc.) as well as having mostly good raids, at least towards the end. Cataclysm did away with a lot of this which is why it ultimately failed.

Would be a reasonable end as well as this would mean you have both a pre-Cataclysm and a post-Cataclysm world to explore.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumile View Post
    I don't think you've played either expansion very much...

The raids were completely different, in Every way you can imagine, From the Size of the raid group, to the type of mechanics, to the very basics of how classes played and functioned. nothing was the same, with the addition of Hardmodes, and later Heroic Modes, and both 10 and 25 man versions of each raid, instead of a static raid size depending on the raid (like in Vanilla and TBC)

They had NOTHING in common and was the reason there was a minority that was very vocal about their hatred for Wotlk, because they preferred how raiding worked in Vanilla/TBC, mostly TBC. as well as the first tier being a Joke, you had some Hardcore raiders being very disappointed.

Wotlk fleshed out the class designs massively, which had a big impact all around, but the biggest impact of all, was in PVP, where Wow Arena was even removed from the MLG lineup, so i would hardly say the E-sport scene "thrived", more like "shriveled" even tho wow arena was more popular than ever amongst the players, this was NOT reflected on the E-sport scene, and theres some fair arguments to as of why, personally me and all the guys I play with in PvP think back to TBC when we think of historical matches, Orangemarmalades 1v3 will never be forgotten.

so considering you obviously didn't play either of the expansions very much, what made you post this? where does this conviction come from?
    I was full active at WOTLK, it was during then that I reached my highest rating in arena 2600+ and killed yogg, algalon, arthas, anubarak. If you ask me it was one of my best expansions. TBC was more casual for me, I didn't participate much but I remember clearly how it worked. Yes there were differences in raids but honestly the ideas were the same.

I don't remember much from tbc pvp but how can you forget the mlg finals with the shadowdance reckfull rmp and the day 9 commenting.
    I'd admit that the arena was really broken back to WOTLK, dieing to the elevator to double shadowmourne or getting one shotted by elementals shamans, it wasn't as strategic as tbc.
    Last edited by Vampiregenesis; 2020-05-04 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Denso View Post
    Can see it ending with WotLK. Not much reason not to bring out WotLK as well though. WotLK still added more depth to the game (deeper talent trees, glyphs, dual specialization etc.) as well as QoL changes that were actually good (mount tab, pet tab, faster mounting etc.) as well as having mostly good raids, at least towards the end. Cataclysm did away with a lot of this which is why it ultimately failed.

Would be a reasonable end as well as this would mean you have both a pre-Cataclysm and a post-Cataclysm world to explore.
    I wasn't sure that I would like Classic, I gave it a try - for a bit over a month - and I just didn't enjoy it so I'm back to Retail. I am interested in WotLK as that was when I started so I am looking forward to that.

They're stupid if they don't eventually release Wotlk classic. I mean it's by far the most played expansion in the private server scene and widely revered as the golden days of WoW.