Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Man shot while jogging, 2 new suspects found.

I'm really surprised there is no thread of this given how it mirrors some other high profile shootings and the offenders weren't even arrested/charged.

Arbery, 25, was shot to death in Brunswick, a coastal city about midway between Savannah and Jacksonville, Florida, on Feb. 23, as he was running through the Satilla Shores neighborhood.
    Police have identified the two men who chased him as Brunswick resident Gregory McMichael, 64, and his son, Travis McMichael, 34. Neither has been arrested or charged, and the investigation is ongoing.

A prosecutor vowed Tuesday to bring the case to a grand jury.

But lawyers for the Arbery family said authorities don't need to wait for a grand jury to make arrests.

"There are a number of agencies that can go out and make these arrests today. That is our demand. The men who murdered Ahmaud should be prosecuted," said attorney Lee Merritt.

Merritt called on District Attorney Thomas Durden, based in Hinesville, to issue an arrest warrant and indict Gregory and Travis McMichael.

"We respect that there is a legal process that must be followed in order for formal indictments to take place, but for the safety of this community; for the respect of Ahmaud Arbery's memory we demand that ... these men be arrested," Merritt told reporters Wednesday.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation announced Wednesday that it joined the probe at Durden's request.

"I advised him that we we would hit the ground running this morning. We've now assigned this case to three of our experienced, supervisory-level agents," GBI Director Vic Reynolds said.

"I'm confident we'll do justice in this matter."

Back on Feb. 23, Gregory McMichael first spotted Arbery on foot "hauling ass" down Satilla Drive and immediately thought he was a burglar who had recently been targeting the neighborhood, according to a Glynn County police report.

Gregory McMichael armed himself with a .357 Magnum while his son grabbed a shotgun. They both jumped into their pickup truck and chased Arbery. Police said a third man, identified as a neighbor, joined the chase and jumped into the McMichael's truck.

The older McMichael told police that he shouted at Arbery to stop. When they caught up to him, there was a confrontation.

"McMichael stated (that) the unidentified male began to violently attack Travis and the two men then started fighting over the shotgun at which point Travis fired a shot and then a second later there was a second shot,” the police report states.

The report didn't specifically say if Arbery was armed, but Merritt has said the victim did not have a weapon.

In the video of the shooting released by Merritt on Tuesday, Arbery is seen jogging down a road as a white pickup truck is stopped in front of him. Arbery runs around the vehicle and a shot is fired. The video then shows Arbery and another man appearing to tussle as two more shots are fired.

NBC News does not know what occurred before the events shown in the video.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/...-call-n1201301
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2020-05-06 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    I'm really surprised there is no thread of this given how it mirrors some other high profile shootings and the offenders weren't even arrested/charged.

Nothing wrong here just two good ole boys with loaded guns at the ready to "arrest" a young black man jogging because he is black so he must be a burglar.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

The comments on FOX are disturbing. According to them he was fleeing the scene of 2 robberies and a rape and then attacked someone trying to stop him.

Whoever made that video though must have known this was going to happen because that is not a dash cam. He/she is clearly holding up a cellphone because all that up and down movement is not really possible with a dash cam.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    The comments on FOX are disturbing. According to them he was fleeing the scene of 2 robberies and a rape and then attacked someone trying to stop him.
    Are you surprised by people on a Fox website? The crime of being black or brown is a crime punishable by death but they are totes not racist.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    really? i haven't gone to fox but that seems insane ill have to check it out.

Jesus christ, I was going to say you can't arrest someone based on an accusation alone after the fact but they filmed it AND gave the video to the media? There's no reason they shouldn't be in custody.

Why it would be like walking into a porta-potty and wondering why it smells like shit.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair, the actual article was sympathetic, but the comments... Yikes. https://www.foxnews.com/media/trey-g...ase-grand-jury

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    Jesus christ, I was going to say you can't arrest someone based on an accusation alone after the fact but they filmed it AND gave the video to the media? There's no reason they shouldn't be in custody.
    Another party filmed it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pathora44 View Post
    Why it would be like walking into a porta-potty and wondering why it smells like shit.
    Accurate. I just forget those people are out there sometimes until I venture out of my bubble.

another lynching in America.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pathora44 View Post
    some times you wan't to believe that it will smell flowery even though you've been told other wise, it always ends in disappointment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats what we call a lynching regardless of what he did. Just a systemic problem in America love to ignore. Say something about it and they say you're being uppity, blowing stuff out of proportion, "be glad its not worse". Protest and counter-protest laws magically appear but the school down the street has been underfunded for generations.

This IS America.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Thats what we call a lynching regardless of what he did. Just a systemic problem in America love to ignore. Say something about it and they say you're being uppity, blowing stuff out of proportion, "be glad its not worse". Protest and counter-protest laws magically appear but the school down the street has been underfunded for generations.

This IS America.
    Looking through that Fox news comment section I saw the typical racist bullshit pseudo science that black people are criminals because they are black and black on black crime so racism totally doesn't exist.

Considering it happened back in February, I was surprised to hear about this several times today. Story is pretty messed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post

This IS America.
    How is this representative of America?

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    How is this representative of America?
    How is this not? One of the men apparently was an investigator for 30 years.. could be why they didn't bother to arrest them.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    How is this not? One of the men apparently was an investigator for 30 years.. could be why they didn't bother to arrest them.
    Oh okay, if you have someone who's an investigator for 30 years, that means what they did represents America. (logic?)

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Oh okay, if you have someone who's an investigator for 30 years, that means what they did represents America. (logic?)
    "Black man shot while jogging by two random racist white guys. Police never investigated and ignored the crime and one of the men actually used to work in a law field for 3 decades"

Huh... I don't think that sentence would exist in most places. It is very America.

It did come up in another thread, but it's really just hitting the main news yesterday/ today as it hit the rounds.

From the dead guys side, he was out jogging, which he often did and was confronted and shot by two white men for no reason.

From the shooters side, they've had burglaries in the neighbhorhood repeatedly over the past few months and recognized the guy from their security video. They went to stop him to hold him for police as part of a citizens arrest, he attacked the one guy to try to wrestle away the shotgun and was shot in the process.

Another article mentioned a third guy that was with them in pursuit, so maybe that's the guy with the camera, but not sure.
    There was also a police call from a person that saw the guy rooting around in a house that is under construction and he then ran off. I don't know that the two pursuers knew of this call or that he was at that house.

Charges were not filed because when the video was reviewed, the prosecutor determined that the dead guy was the aggressor.

It is apparently legal for a citizens arrest in Georgia to some degree, but no clue what the actual rules are. I think down here a "citizens arrest" needs to be some kind of forcible felony being committed, not trespassing with a theory of past burglary.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

What We Know About the Shooting Death of Ahmaud Arbery

Why has no one been arrested?
    Shortly after the shooting, the prosecutor for the Brunswick judicial district recused herself because Gregory McMichael had worked in her office.

The case was sent to George E. Barnhill, the district attorney in Waycross, Ga., who eventually recused himself from the case after Mr. Arbery’s mother argued that he had a conflict because his son also works for the Brunswick district attorney.

But before he relinquished the case, Mr. Barnhill argued in a letter obtained by The Times that there was not sufficient probable cause to arrest Mr. Arbery’s pursuers. In the letter, Mr. Barnhill noted that the McMichaels were legally carrying their firearms under Georgia’s open carry law. He said the pursuers were within their rights to pursue what he called “a burglary suspect,” and cited a state law that states, “A private person may arrest an offender if the offense is committed in his presence or within his immediate knowledge.”

Mr. Barnhill also argued that if Mr. Arbery attacked Travis McMichael, Mr. McMichael was “allowed to use deadly force to protect himself” under Georgia law.

What do Mr. Arbery’s defenders say?
    Mr. Barnhill wrote, in his letter, that Mr. Arbery had mental health issues, though he does not elaborate on this point, and that he had prior convictions. Court records show that Mr. Arbery was convicted of shoplifting and of violating probation in 2018. Five years earlier, according to The Brunswick News, he was indicted on charges that he took a handgun to a high school basketball game.

Those details, Mr. Barnhill argued, “help explain his apparent aggressive nature and his possible thought pattern to attack an armed man.”

Mr. Arbery’s defenders believe he was probably jogging through the neighborhood for exercise. Michael J. Moore, an Atlanta lawyer who formerly served as a U.S. attorney in Georgia, reviewed Mr. Barnhill’s letter to the Glynn County Police Department, as well as the initial police report, at the request of The Times. In an email, Mr. Moore called Mr. Barnhill’s opinion “flawed.”

In his view, Mr. Moore said, the McMichaels appeared to be the aggressors in the confrontation, and such aggressors were not justified in using force under Georgia’s self-defense laws. “The law does not allow a group of people to form an armed posse and chase down an unarmed person who they believe might have possibly been the perpetrator of a past crime,” Mr. Moore wrote.

------------

Just from what I'm reading I have to agree that lethal force wasn't justified at all here. Hell, chasing the man to begin with was wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    "Black man shot while jogging by two random racist white guys. Police never investigated and ignored the crime and one of the men actually used to work in a law field for 3 decades"

Huh... I don't think that sentence would exist in most places. It is very America.
    You still haven't provided anything, just re-stated your conclusion.