Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Ok so I've had a look at the reviews and as was expected post announcement the 5600x looks like the best value for money. However, thinking even better value for money might be one of the earlier generations Zen 2 chips? I dont know much about then so unsure what the right decision is.

I think it was mentioned about what MOBO to get previously, but is there anything specifically I should be looking for? aside from chip/card compatibility of course.

Lastly the GPU is a tough decision now.

I've got a 1060 atm, and I have a 1080p 144hz G-Sync monitor however, I dont really feel that G-Sync has add all that much and i'm considering switching to non-gsync 1440p 144hz (or 120hz). Some suggestions have been to try an ultrawide - which i find very temping.

Should I stay will NVIDIA or should I switch to AMD?

Quote Originally Posted by Uurdz View Post
    Ok so I've had a look at the reviews and as was expected post announcement the 5600x looks like the best value for money. However, thinking even better value for money might be one of the earlier generations Zen 2 chips? I dont know much about then so unsure what the right decision is.
    Depends on what you do. Since you have a 1080p monitor and likely not upgrading it CPU power is going to be important but it depends on what GPU you choose and what fps you're expecting. Obviously the more powerful your GPU is and more fps you want the more powerful your CPU has to be to support that.

I think it was mentioned about what MOBO to get previously, but is there anything specifically I should be looking for? aside from chip/card compatibility of course.
    Powerstage based VRM, if you can afford it, just for the built-in protections. Decent VRM heatsink. I/O options that fit you needs. Looks if that's important for you. Depends on what's in stock. Since you're not in the US a lot of stuff wont be available and prices are going to be quite different.

Lastly the GPU is a tough decision now.

I've got a 1060 atm, and I have a 1080p 144hz G-Sync monitor however, I dont really feel that G-Sync has add all that much and i'm considering switching to non-gsync 1440p 144hz (or 120hz). Some suggestions have been to try an ultrawide - which i find very temping.

Should I stay will NVIDIA or should I switch to AMD?
    Adaptive Sync (G-Sync/FreeSync) is not that visible on high refresh rate monitors, so it's very normal that you're not getting much an impression from G-Sync. Cant really advice anything on ultrawide 1440ps. You can check reviews but it's better to have a look in person ultimately, so I'd advice on that.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    I've swapped from a 165hz Gsync to a 144hz "G-sync compatible" (it flickers when I turn it on though, so I don't) and I didn't really notice any difference. G-sync and Freesync are most needed when you're running <90fps I think, because that's where you'll notice the stuttering the most. If you're running at 120fps and one frame stays for twice what it's supposed to, you won't really notice, or at least I don't.
    If you're wondering why I downgraded, the first monitor broke and I needed something fast, and then just didn't get another one since.

I have always preferred building fresh.
    Upgrading old components just doesn't sit right with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    I've swapped from a 165hz Gsync to a 144hz "G-sync compatible" (it flickers when I turn it on though, so I don't) and I didn't really notice any difference. G-sync and Freesync are most needed when you're running <90fps I think, because that's where you'll notice the stuttering the most. If you're running at 120fps and one frame stays for twice what it's supposed to, you won't really notice, or at least I don't.
    If you're wondering why I downgraded, the first monitor broke and I needed something fast, and then just didn't get another one since.
    Ok so there were some deals on today and i snagged a Ultrawide 34inch 144hz 1440p monitor. So now I need some build advice around that.

1. Motherboard: Noting the recommendation around Powerstage based VRM/B550 board with bios flashback
    2. RAM: Some 3600mhz c18
    3. GPU: AMD 6800 XT
    4. CPU: AMD 5600x

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WbThkX

Near finished. Pending confirmation on GPU benchmark performance.
    Last edited by Uurdz; 2020-11-11 at 03:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok so there were some deals on today and i snagged a Ultrawide 34inch 144hz 1440p monitor. So now I need some build advice around that.

1. Motherboard: Noting the recommendation around Powerstage based VRM/B550 board with bios flashback
    2. RAM: Some 3600mhz c18
    3. GPU: AMD 6800 XT
    4. CPU: AMD 5600x

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Zf9H2V

Work in progress!
    Get some C16 RAM instead
    No comment on the GPU, since we haven't seen benchmarks yet.

Get some C16 RAM instead
    Thanks. Was having a tough time finding where to buy the individual parts with a good deal in Singapore (they exist but it's not as easy as it was in Singapore) but found a guy who will help build around my requirements.

Updated the list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WbThkX
    Aware the MOBO will need to have the BIOS updated.

We wont be getting GPU's until at least December here so still plenty of time to adjust.

Thanks. Was having a tough time finding where to buy the individual parts with a good deal in Singapore (they exist but it's not as easy as it was in Singapore) but found a guy who will help build around my requirements.

Updated the list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WbThkX
    Aware the MOBO will need to have the BIOS updated.

We wont be getting GPU's until at least December here so still plenty of time to adjust.
    1) Pure Rock 2, why? It's overpriced, has nothing on a simple 212 and looks worse.
    2) F12s, I wouldnt buy them if you can buy P12s. MUCH better fans.
    3) GA 750, why? There's plenty of stuff that's cheaper or the same price, and is better. Seasonic Focus Gold (it's $110, but it's semi modular), CM MWE Gold, Phanteks AMP (pretty much a Focus Plus with a different fan), new Corsair RM.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    1) Pure Rock 2, why? It's overpriced, has nothing on a simple 212 and looks worse.
    2) F12s, I wouldnt buy them if you can buy P12s. MUCH better fans.
    3) GA 750, why? There's plenty of stuff that's cheaper or the same price, and is better. Seasonic Focus Gold (it's $110, but it's semi modular), CM MWE Gold, Phanteks AMP (pretty much a Focus Plus with a different fan), new Corsair RM.
    Thanks for the feedback - parts aren't as easy to come by in Singapore and prices even harder to compare.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the feedback - parts aren't as easy to come by in Singapore and prices even harder to compare.
    PCPP has a Singapore version: https://sg.pcpartpicker.com/list/WbThkX

Whether it's accurate or not, I can't say though. Considering you picked some parts that it says aren't available, I'm going with a resounding no though

Coolermaster stuff I noticed gets a pretty good worldwide availability, so if they got some stuff that's good it's a pretty save bet you can get it.

PCPP has a Singapore version: https://sg.pcpartpicker.com/list/WbThkX

Whether it's accurate or not, I can't say though. Considering you picked some parts that it says aren't available, I'm going with a resounding no though
    Yeah i think this is just pulling sales from US stores that offer SG shipping.

Get some C16 RAM instead
    My guy has noted C16 3600mhz are difficult to source. He has recommended Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb DDR4 3600Mhz c18.
    What would the difference be in C16 v C18?

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    My guy has noted C16 3600mhz are difficult to source. He has recommended Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb DDR4 3600Mhz c18.
    What would the difference be in C16 v C18?
    Running LPX 3600 CL18 @ 3800 Cl18. you won't notice any difference. A friend of mines has run 4000 Cl18, 3600 CL16 and 3600 Cl14, and I beat out his speeds.

Proof, He is on left, I'm on right:

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Running LPX 3600 CL18 @ 3800 Cl18. you won't notice any difference. A friend of mines has run 4000 Cl18, 3600 CL16 and 3600 Cl14, and I beat out his speeds.

Proof, He is on left, I'm on right:
    So much for having a clue.

1) The difference on the screenshots is MASSIVE. Over 10 ns latency, most of the write difference is due to different CPU config. Granted, I have no clue what kinds of settings are in play.
    2) The difference between 3600CL16 and 3600CL18 is not that you're buying a slightly worse bin, you're buying trash memory chips instead of decent ones. The fact that it does CL16 on XMP tells you that the chips in that RAM cannot be trash, because trash chips (Samsung C-die or several Hynix dies) wont do CL16 at 3600. Not to mention all other timings are going to be a lot worse, which is showing in your latency.
    3) Optimal RAM clock for Zen 3 is between 3800 and 4000, depending on what kind of IF clock you can reach. Good chips will do those clocks at XMP timings without any voltage bumps, trash ones likely wont do them at all.
    4) Due to the way of how the timings work for those chips that memory manufacturers bin to 3600CL18 a lot of them might not work at all on XMP settings on some AM4 motherboards, especially older ones.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    So much for having a clue.

1) The difference on the screenshots is MASSIVE. Over 10 ns latency, most of the write difference is due to different CPU config. Granted, I have no clue what kinds of settings are in play.
    2) The difference between 3600CL16 and 3600CL18 is not that you're buying a slightly worse bin, you're buying trash memory chips instead of decent ones. The fact that it does CL16 on XMP tells you that the chips in that RAM cannot be trash, because trash chips (Samsung C-die or several Hynix dies) wont do CL16 at 3600. Not to mention all other timings are going to be a lot worse, which is showing in your latency.
    3) Optimal RAM clock for Zen 3 is between 3800 and 4000, depending on what kind of IF clock you can reach. Good chips will do those clocks at XMP timings without any voltage bumps, trash ones likely wont do them at all.
    4) Due to the way of how the timings work for those chips that memory manufacturers bin to 3600CL18 a lot of them might not work at all on XMP settings on some AM4 motherboards, especially older ones.
    1. The AVERAGE PERSON will see no difference.
    2. I'm going to test this with Samsung B-die memory, so i'll get back to you on this.
    3. Wrong. Best Ram config is actually 2 x 16GB 3600 CL14. For some reason, clock latency is actually playing a factor in Zen 3 for some reason.
    4. That's not to do with the memory really, but more to do with the mobos themselves. The exact same RAm can work in some AM4 mobos, but not in another, even froms ame manufacturer.

I'm gonan put some Samsung B-die in my system and run the tests again, so keep an eye here in about 20 mins.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok.

Samsung B-Die tests, kinda weird.

1. The AVERAGE PERSON will see no difference.
    2. I'm going to test this with Samsung B-die memory, so i'll get back to you on this.
    3. Wrong. Best Ram config is actually 2 x 16GB 3600 CL14. For some reason, clock latency is actually playing a factor in Zen 3 for some reason.
    4. That's not to do with the memory really, but more to do with the mobos themselves. The exact same RAm can work in some AM4 mobos, but not in another, even froms ame manufacturer.
    1. Oh, they will see the difference then their RAM is on 2133Mhz.
    2. That's extreme. Also, pretty useless on Zen 3. Micron rev. B is not expensive.
    3. You need B-die to run 3600C14. That's totally not for everybody.
    4. Exactly. So why risk? It's not like you're overpaying anyway.

I'm gonan put some Samsung B-die in my system and run the tests again, so keep an eye here in about 20 mins.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok.

Samsung B-Die tests, kinda weird.

That's very low clock and horrible timings for B-die. Or more likely this is not B-die. Most B-die will do 3800 at 16-18-18 no problem. If this is single rank and decent b-die there's an option of going async aswell.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account

That's very low clock and horrible timings for B-die. Or more likely this is not B-die. Most B-die will do 3800 at 16-18-18 no problem. If this is single rank and decent b-die there's an option of going async aswell.
    Oh it's 100% Samsung B-die, which is why I was confused.

Oh it's 100% Samsung B-die, which is why I was confused.
    And how do you know? Normally the only way to tell for sure is the timings/clocks, and what you're showing suggests that it's not B-die.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    And how do you know? Normally the only way to tell for sure is the timings/clocks, and what you're showing suggests that it's not B-die.
    This is the RAM. AIDA also showed it was Smasung B-Die, but I never got a screenshot of that

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team-...my-08q-tg.html

Here's a pic of the RAM for you.