How do you sim AoE?

Apologies if this should be in the raid section.

I use raidbots to sim and I try to do it whenever I get a new piece of gear. I am however not the the smartest person when it comes to anything even remotely related to stats and numbers and so I have somewhat of a difficult time fully understanding the results.

The last time I tried to ask about how you sim AoE I was told it doesn't really work. Some other people have told me that you can sim something like '4 bosses at 20 or 40 seconds.' I've also seen some people mention hectic add cleave but I can't tell if that literally means cleave as in 2 targets or it means more than 2 targets.

How would you recommend I sim for, I guess, 'general AoE'? How do you yourself do it?

Thanks.
    cristiano

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're using RaidBots for your Simcraft sims, underneath the 'fight style' drop down box there is a brief description of what each title means. For example "Cleave Add" means a second add is up at least 40% of the time; so think of a duo boss like Twin Ogron. Hectic Add Cleave is "Regular add spawns (5 adds up about 40% of the fight), frequent movement." The example it gives is Horridon, but Hivemind might be applicable too.

Hectic Add Cleave is probably a better representative of AoE than just Cleave Add but it does include movement, so if you're looking for true AoE you might try Dungeon Slice or even something like Light Movement with just an increased number of bosses.

I guess it depends on what kind of content you're doing your AoE in. I can't think of a lot of situations where you are just straight AoEing without movement, at least not a context that would benefitting from being simmed or optimised for.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

You don't. Just play the fucking game

Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    You don't. Just play the fucking game
    Get back ingame, LFR popped

Quote Originally Posted by lollerlaban View Post
    Get back ingame, LFR popped
    I can't. Deleted my account after how useless raiding has become in BFA and the forseeable future.

I can't. Deleted my account after how useless raiding has become in BFA and the forseeable future.
    so you make a hobby of trolling forums for a game you dont play?such a jolly passtime

Quote Originally Posted by votinh View Post
    Apologies if this should be in the raid section.

I use raidbots to sim and I try to do it whenever I get a new piece of gear. I am however not the the smartest person when it comes to anything even remotely related to stats and numbers and so I have somewhat of a difficult time fully understanding the results.

The last time I tried to ask about how you sim AoE I was told it doesn't really work. Some other people have told me that you can sim something like '4 bosses at 20 or 40 seconds.' I've also seen some people mention hectic add cleave but I can't tell if that literally means cleave as in 2 targets or it means more than 2 targets.

How would you recommend I sim for, I guess, 'general AoE'? How do you yourself do it?

Thanks.
    cristiano
    I run 3 - 5 patchwork bosses for 4-6 min, with pots and bloodlust turned off, to get AoE stat weights.

The number of bosses can depend on when your rotation changes from using single target to AoE. For example, on 2 targets, an assassination rogue would use single target rotation while maintaining dots on both. Whereas at 4 targets, the whole rotation changes to FoK and DoT. So, I would use 4, to get AoE weights for assassination.

I use 4 - 6 minutes as to even/average out the cooldown uses and tinket procs inherent in the sim. This can change depending on class. I multiply the big cooldown times at least 2 (you want the sim ending as the cooldown resets a second or third time). For example, Frost DK has a 2 min cooldown, so I would use 4 minutes, but some specs, like Unholy and DH have much longer cooldowns, so I would probably set it for at least 6 min.

Alternatively, there may be a custom APL that you can add in a box at the bottom of the Raidbots page, to turn off the use of the big cooldown. If you want to try to hunt that down on the class discord (or some such).

Here is an imgur link to a generic set up screenshot, as an example: https://imgur.com/a/wbusMvp

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    so you make a hobby of trolling forums for a game you dont play?such a jolly passtime
    K anime avatar

K anime avatar
    thats an odd response,k what?is that some form of acknowledgment?

If you can't help him don't post mr lfr warrior.

ON: I sim mine on hectic add cleave, dungeon slice isn't trustworthy yet imo, gave me some bad results for udk.

10+ Year Old Account
    knock it off with the offtopic and bickering please

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

I use hectic add cleave as Tziva described myself.

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexSignal View Post
    Lol, no you didn't.

OP: Do 5-10 Patchwerk @ 40 seconds - if you're looking for simming a typical M+ aoe pull (you might also dip into the advanced section to turn off certain things you wouldn't use on a pull - like Army for UH DKs). HecticAddCleave still assumes you're fighting a boss that spawns adds every now and then (like Hivemind). It's not a good indication of M+ AOE pull.
    Lol, ya I did. Two days after 8.3 launched. Was supposed to wait for Shadowlands and see how that turns out but 8.3 was just a spit in the face, and anyone who stayed for it lacks any self respect they have for themselves.