Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Do you play more than one MMO?

For much of their lifespan, MMOs were considered to be huge timesinks. Nowadays they've become casual and quicker, possibly to allow people to make alts. Do you find the time to play more than one MMORPG?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    For much of their lifespan, MMOs were considered to be huge timesinks. Nowadays they've become casual and quicker, possibly to allow people to make alts. Do you find the time to play more than one MMORPG?
    I currently play three MMORPG, WoW, FFXIV and ESO. I can't play three of them super hardcore though, I am super casual when it comes to ESO and FFXIV and used to be mythic raider in WoW up until Eternal Palace raid then I became heroic raider only and m+ semi hardcore player. I do play other than mmos though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I play FFXIV and WoW - When I get bored of one I switch to the other for a bit.
    Here is something to believe in!

I play EQ, WoW, ESO and occasionally GW2.

EQ - I put most of my time into this game. It's like a house covered in vines and weeds, weathered exterior, but when you get into it it's got a really unique and cozy interior. Lots of depth here, tons of spells, gear, AAs and it all feels impactful and rewarding - the TLP servers are really excellent especially. The issue is the game is clunky, has a ton of bad UI problems and so many other things. I think if you didn't get acclimated to this game when it was released back in the 99-02 era, it would take heroic fortitude to bare the learning curve. Which is too bad because if you can get passed the garbage the game's core is still there, intact and still feels pretty magical.

WoW - Opposite of EQ. Outside is shiny and modern, but there's really not a lot of depth and the inside is bare. Nice nice to pop in, not feel lost, and hop into a dungeon or something. For WoW I basically play a few characters to level cap and experience the new zones and story, and then just bail for the whole gear grind portion. So I play WoW for 2-3 months at expansion release, then resub for 1 month after most patches.

ESO - I just get random urges to hop into this game, if I'm not feeling EQ or WoW. Has great voice acting, the events are great, and I like that you get to build your class. It has some real annoyances though like you have to pay for the extremely useful inventory management of the reagent bank and it's a little too actiony for my tastes. It has great crafting and really well made housing system. Plus Elder Scrolls lore has always been super cool to me.

GW2 - I play this one the least of the 4, but every once and a while I pop in and fuck around for a few days. I'm not sure what about this game turns me off because on paper it seems like a great game, the UI is beautiful, etc. It might be the art style... I dunno. I bought it when it first came out and its B2P so free to hop in, and still absolutely worth the money for the box price.

If I was gonna pie chart my game time across all 4 over the last year, it would be like 70% EQ, 20% WoW, 9% ESO, 1% GW2. All four I consider good MMOs, but when it comes to where I wanna sink my time lately I dunno why but it's always EQ that pulls me in. I think its just the last MMO that really keeps a tactical feeling and has very rigid group dynamics and roles. Classes feel distinct. The modern games are just AOE fests and the Role part of the RPG seems negligible.

I haven't given WoW classic a fair shot yet and I've been meaning to do that... not sure if that counts as a separate MMO. It's possible that it still has some of the old EQ-style dynamics I want and some of the QoL polish. I'll prob give it a shot next time I have a WoW sub running.
    Last edited by ro9ue; 2020-05-21 at 04:54 AM.

yes.

at this time, I primarily switch between ESO and WoW though I dabble in few others once in a blue moon (came back to Neverwinter for few weeks recently, and got caught up for a long afternoon in super adventure mode in GW2). Division 2 probably doesn't count as MMO, but its sorta MMO..ish? I play it with SO on weekends and for an hour or so, on some evenings.

both WoW and ESO I play very casually. in both at one point I did consistent semi-casual progression raiding (we weren't pushing world firsts by any means, but we did work on progressing through difficulties, just you know.. at 2-3 hours once a week pace). nowadays, I pretty much stick to collecting fluff and questing in whatever MMO I'm playing at any given moment. I don't think I could play more then one MMO if I was any less casual about it.

I bounce between WoW, ESO and SWTOR. All depends on what I feel like playing when sit down at computer.

5+ Year Old Account
    I always go back to LOTRO.

Played GW2 heavy but will never go back.

SWTOR is 90% a single player game.

Could never get in to ESO.
    “I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.”
    ― Ronald Regan

I jump back and forth between WoW and FFXIV, and will dip into GW2 for patches.

I don't even play ONE right now.

I used to play both WoW and SWTOR back in the day, but the overlap only lasted a short while. Too much maintenance to keep doing it.

When Legion was out I played it along with Wildstar
    right now I only play Guild Wars 2, but will probably balance it with Shadowlands when it drops.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

Occasionally I'll re-sub, jump in say hello to my guild and do a few things but ultimately I end up getting bored as always and coming off. I'll play Black Desert sometimes too in place of wow. It's a really good game that has tons and tons of content and one of if not THE BEST character creation in any game. I mean seriously is there an MMO, or even a game for that matter with a character creation as good as Black Deserts. That's a genuine question btw, what does the MMO Champ community think of BDO? I can't think of any other MMO that I would think about playing. For me it would be either BDO or FF14. What else is good?

I remember Eve online character creation being pretty incredible when years ago, I grabbed a free 2 week trial and pretty much spend most of it in character creator. which is ironic as as far as I remember, you don't actualy see much of your character when actualy playing Eve.

I play wow classic atm for raiding mostly, I logged into eve online a couple weeks ago and did some casual krabbing, same for bdo I just play casually BDO I enjoy but I don't do pvp I've got to the tet farm and the game becomes super grindy at certain point, the cost of getting each item to tet is crazy. but I lifeskill and farm knowledge / sponge the login rewards and save up for the day I can try tets myself without the fails hurting too much or just simply buyout the tets from the market. I think I like that BDO doesn't have a soul bound system for most gear so you can freely sell it or use it on your alts, also no level requirement so you can throw your imba gear on your level 1. there are many things that make BDO and eve interesting mmos and different from wow's typical themepark. but even I still enjoy raiding in wow. bdo doesn't really have this and eve's pve is also kinda meh, doesn't really scale that well and its quite repetitive. you can either tank the damage or you can't and you die which makes it very two tone, either you can crush it, or you shouldn't be trying to do it.

I would probably dislike bdo more if I actually wanted to be competitive in pvp, the problem is that it is difficult to catch up to the top end now, but also the guild system makes it so that you HAVE to log in or you will get kicked from the guild you're in, the guild has to pay its members a wage daily and if you are offline most of the time, suffice to say you'll get the boot, its not a very friendly system to ppl like me who take month + breaks from the game, I tend to join a guild and then get booted from it eventually for not being online for a week or so. this makes it a very commitment orientated game if you want to be in a guild and do guild shit. guild bosses and or pvp node war. I tend to just enjoy a bit of casual mob farming now and then so ill log into bdo and grab some login rewards, for as p2w as it maybe, it has been possible for me to save up a significant amount of cash shop items just from doing events and logging in at certain times of the year. if you don't mind waiting and playing the long game, I think bdo isn't that bad, it just lacks interesting group pve. as a solo mmo where you can pretty much progress to the best gear completely on your tod, best mmo for that I think. it'll take forever but its possible which makes it different to most other mmos where the best items and gear require a guild or a large team. in bdo the best gear just costs a lot of silver so you can grind your way to victory.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2020-05-22 at 04:54 AM.

I maintain an install of FFXIV, though I've been in and out of WoW (mostly in) since Vanilla.

I am very, *very* non-ambitious in FFXIV, clearing story content and leveling other classes with my squadron, eventually with my trusts, but I will never feel like I can commit to FFXIV, because while MMOs are indeed very approachable and thankfully becoming more so as a matter of survival, there is one other trait of MMOs that settles into those that are veterans of one or another:

True mastery of an MMO, true knowledge of its ins and outs, and indeed keeping up enough to call one's self a true member of an MMO community no matter how casual one is, is a constant demand on one's time, and can really only be done for one game at a time... and WoW got to me first, so that game... is WoW.

I realized I couldn't maintain both FFXIV and WoW within any kind of parity when I realized that FFXIV is just as deep and broad and full of "veteran's tips and tricks" as WoW... and I am not interested in going that deep on FFXIV, because I am relatively confident that WoW will remain at least passably attractive for decades yet.

So really, no one has room to *really* play multiple MMOs if those MMOs are built right... because if the MMOs are built right, they are too deep to share space in your head and on your calendar at the same time.

You can dabble... but then... why bother?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. I'll only ever subscribe to one at a time. Usually either WoW or Swtor. When I'm in an MMO, I'm IN. As a genre, they tend to be huge timesinks and I usually fall for that hard.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Yes currently playing 3

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Nope. I'll only ever subscribe to one at a time. Usually either WoW or Swtor. When I'm in an MMO, I'm IN. As a genre, they tend to be huge timesinks and I usually fall for that hard.
    Yeah this is exactly me too. I bounce around between those two but never at the same time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tried to at one point, I remember playing Champions Online and WoW, then Guild Wars 2 came out and it was Guild Wars 2 and WoW, but its always came down to just WoW.

If my love for MMO's proves anything its that I only have time for one. There's way too much investment :P

Nope, WoW gives me what I want. I've dabbled in every MMORPG on the market, but in the end I just don't fall in love like I did when I downed my first EPIC FOE (plainstrider) with my talking cow back in 2009.

On occasion I play Guild Wars 2, I tried getting into FF14 but I got bored around level 24.

So far WoW reigns supreme when it comes to longevity for me. In fact WoW is probably the game I have sunk most hours into of any game I've ever played, somewhere in the ballpark of 13.000 hours.
    Last edited by Donald Hellscream; 2020-05-23 at 04:58 PM.