Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Crusader Kings 3 Why?

Why should I consider this? What was wrong with Crusader Kings 2?

Does CK3 allow conversions to EU4 like CK2 did?

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    What was wrong with Crusader Kings 2?
    Nothing. It's probably financially motivated. Start from a clean slate and sell their customers everything again. Plus, it gives new potential customers an entry point, as they don't visit a steam page and see that they have to drop $320 to get "the complete experience".

Maybe Intel and AMD need to push their higher end cpu's

A lot of changes are coming for sure. I agree though. Not a lot of reason to buy it especially so close to shadowlands.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

It's a good opportunity to implement lessons learned from 8 years of using the old engine?

The old engine was really showing it's age, the game was unoptimized and running very slowly in the later years, I think it's good to get an update...Here's hoping CK3's animal kingdoms include foxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey There Guys its Metro View Post
    A lot of changes are coming for sure. I agree though. Not a lot of reason to buy it especially so close to shadowlands.
    It is actually possible to play more than one game, and CK3 is releasing at least 1 month before Shadowlands, so that's not a particularly good reason not to buy it.

If you love the old game, and the studio is putting out a new one (as long as it isn't terrible), why not support them?

At least it's not a BF or CoD situation where they keep reskinning the same 10+ year old game engine with increasingly worse performance and the same or less features year after year.

Will buy it for sure CK 2 is one of my favorite games. Not sure i will have time to play it much with so many games already but i need it in my library.
    Do you hear the voices too?

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because it was a popular strategy game. My son really likes it, but for myself, I do not care for any of the strategy games made by that developer. The combat is based more on a roll of the dice, than any real strategy options, which allow you to defeat a stronger opponent using superior strategy skills on the battle field like in the Total War series.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hey There Guys its Metro View Post
    Not everyone plays Wow today. I quit WoW over a year ago and have not missed it. That was after playing it for over 14 years. There are a lot of good games out now and I have had a lot of fun playing many which do not require a monthly sub. Really looking forward to BG 3, from Larian Studios to name one coming later this year.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Aside from that CK2 is 8 years old and the improvements to graphics that means, there's a lot of more subtle changes coming for series veterans compared to what CK2 does.

Baronies are on the map as their own tiles, rather than being a sub-holding of a county, major rivers can't be crossed from just anywhere on the map, but have specific crossings, vast expansion to how the game treats religion and heresies by a modular doctrine and faiths system, complete overhaul of how combat and troop compositions work, having what is essentially a version of the Way Of Life focus system much more closely integrated into the core game. Having fear implemented as a thing in how characters view you, rather than an opinion modifier being just whether they like or hate you and that's it. Having a stress system to nudge you into actually acting accordingly to the traits your character have.

There's more they're going for, but what CK3 is doing should be incredibly exciting to anyone who is a fan of CK2, even though there's nothing outright wrong with CK2.

It's going to be unplayable in the first year or so anyway. It's a paradox game after all, but after that, I'm sure it's going to better than CK2.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    It's going to be unplayable in the first year or so anyway. It's a paradox game after all, but after that, I'm sure it's going to better than CK2.
    What's been shown in 3 so far is beyond what ck2 has now with China cut out since for 90% of players the China stuff was irrelevant. Oh and no sunset invasion either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    What's been shown in 3 so far is beyond what ck2 has now with China cut out since for 90% of players the China stuff was irrelevant. Oh and no sunset invasion either.
    They look to be including India and the region at launch from what I had read. If the new map I saw is correct they have expanded even further east into Burma. I have a feeling that they might do a expansion that adds china like they added India in CK2.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    It will probably use a new AI though and that's going to be messed up.
    I already saw the AI in CK3 declaring war to someone far away while being invaded themselves and instead of defending its territory, it traveled overseas to fight that war.
    One can only hope they can get it right somehow... but still... it's Paradox, that's just how they roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurluas View Post
    The old engine was really showing it's age, the game was unoptimized and running very slowly in the later years, I think it's good to get an update...Here's hoping CK3's animal kingdoms include foxes.
    Yeah it was really getting left behind. I am liking what I am seeing with parts of the new game. I know it being a paradox game it could be somewhat bare-bones at first but hopefully they learned the lesson of imperator rome and not go too far bare-bones. The nature ok CK games haveing more RPG elements in a way will help with that. But like all of their games they really start to shine once DLC come out to fill the gaps and especially once the modding community gets going. Also yes add foxes but there were mods that added fox girls already for fantasy mods if that counts?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    It will probably use a new AI though and that's going to be messed up.
    I already saw the AI in CK3 declaring war to someone far away while being invaded themselves and instead of defending its territory, it traveled overseas to fight that war.
    One can only hope they can get it right somehow... but still... it's Paradox, that's just how they roll.
    Yeah it normally takes them 3/4 years or modders to make the AI not be totally stupid lol. However it does give some good laughs when you see some of the odd stuff the AI does atleast in EU 4 or HOI 4

for 4x/grand strat games waiting a year before buying is always sound advice. but doubly so for paradox in recent times i'd say.

also, afaik it's still on clausewitz, so if you have performance issues in ck2 better hope this one isn't expanding the scope of the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    for 4x/grand strat games waiting a year before buying is always sound advice. but doubly so for paradox in recent times i'd say.

also, afaik it's still on clausewitz, so if you have performance issues in ck2 better hope this one isn't expanding the scope of the game.
    But that might not be the case this time around.

Crusader Kings 3 is the first Paradox game to be launched as a direct sequel to one of their titles which used the long tail of multiple expansions to improve the base game (and of course make Paradox a pretty penny). Crusader Kings 3 therefore has the benefit of years of design iteration, in contrast to Stellaris which launched as pretty much an empty shell (but which has been built up into one of the best 4X games around).

I never played Crusader Kings 2, I was always an EU4 man, and by the time I was aware of what CK2 was I felt it was simply too complicated to attempt to get into.

Now though I have every intention of getting in on the ground floor of this new Paradox game and I am very excited about it. And if it does turn out that it really does need a few expansions to get cooking, I can fall back on EU4 and Stellaris while I wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post

This will run on a new version of clausewitz. The one imperator runs on. Which runs great.

@op The reason to make a new game every now and then should be ovious. You run out of design space, be it old, constantly messed with code preventing you from making cool new systems or the players expectations for features to stay the same. There is nothing wrong with CKII. But with everything the devs learned, they just want to try the same formular again, but with new ideas and lessons learned from the old game.

Also, you dont buy Paradox games at launch. So it actually comes out a year after shadowlands
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Quote Originally Posted by owbu View Post
    This will run on a new version of clausewitz. The one imperator runs on. Which runs great.
    Imperator is a empty game, so ofc it runs well. Stellaris on the other hand has ever worsening performance issues because it has tens of thousands of pops at endgame.
    While ck3 is unlikely to get to that level, it's still worth being on the lookout for any scaling systems in the game. performance never gets better only worse, so the basegame better run real smooth.

"new version" doesn't mean much if they don't go into details. ultimately the core game processes are single thread and that's not going to change.