Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Streaming services censoring movies

So apparently streaming services like Netflix and Disney+ are censoring movies on their services. The latest victim being Back to the Future 2. I personally am against censoring movies and music. i dislike it when songs are censored on the radio and I hate that movies are now being censored as well. If you don't like a movie or song then don't watch/listen to it. Don't ruin it for others.

Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    This is why I like to own physical copies of my favourite movies
    Last edited by Orby; 2020-05-24 at 09:47 AM.

Yeah, liberals are ruining it for everyone. Give it a year and I bet Disney finds a way to CGI a sweater over Leia in Return of the jedi during the Slave girl scenes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like this is only on the american versions on D+ with splash and Netflix with BTTF. So rest of the world can rejoice because we embrace things like sex unlike murica.

censorship is fine provided it's optional. let people pick which version they want. if we're responsible enough to pay for a subscription service then we're responsible enough to decide for ourselves what to watch

Quote Originally Posted by dipzz View Post
    Yeah, liberals are ruining it for everyone. Give it a year and I bet Disney finds a way to CGI a sweater over Leia in Return of the jedi during the Slave girl scenes.
    Disney has very strict rules regarding swearing and stuff as part of their CI.
    At least the movies and series they market as family friendly.

I worked during university part time for Disney as a screener.
    My job was is to watch stuff that will be played on the Disney Channel and screen it for swear words, nudes etc.

This was 15 years ago...

It seems only logical that the same rules apply to their own streaming platform

10+ Year Old Account
    Please stop. Liberal outlets are the ones mostly against the censorship. Its the religious conservatives that are super 'please think of the children'.

Alison Pregger a women who I been following for years was the one who started this discussion when her tweet about the Splash movie censorship went viral two months ago. :P
    Last edited by Orby; 2020-05-24 at 10:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Typically it's conservatives who don't want exposed boobs. It's a religious thing, try walk into say, the vatican, with a low cut top.
    Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Back to the Future 2 edit was noticed and fixed hours before this thread was ever conceived of, its a non issue. Apparently Universal had given Netflix the wrong copy of the movie, one intended for certain foreign markets and has now rectified the error and given them the normal unedited copy which should be what is now streaming, according to the movie's writer who had personally complained and contacted them.

Disney+ is absurd enough for these complaints though.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Its less to do with censoring and more to do what version of the content they are streaming or any have access to.

Example, Youtube has a lot of LEGAL free movies that they host, but its usually the TV edited version of the film. One Disney+ you're getting the latest DVD copies of films and not say the version where artists drew dicks in the background. Watching something on Hulu that was recorded live? You're getting it after the cleaned it up for the FCC.

I'm not even sure if Netflix is legally allowed to alter content unless they get consent from the copyright owner.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sámsa View Post

My job was is to watch stuff that will be played on the Disney Channel and screen it for swear words, nudes etc.

This was 15 years ago...

They always said that Disney+ will be PG13.

They are a lot more free on Hulu, which is basically theirs by majority share and owning most of the content on it.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't give them money and censorship will go away
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crillam View Post
    Seems like this is only on the american versions on D+ with splash and Netflix with BTTF. So rest of the world can rejoice because we embrace things like sex unlike murica.
    It's funny how now the morality police are under the guise of Liberals rather than Christian Conservative stay at home moms.

"The blame is on Universal who somehow furnished Netflix an edited version of the movie," Gale told The Hollywood Reporter. "I learned about it some ten days ago from an eagle-eyed fan, and had the studio rectify the error. The version now running is the uncensored, unedited, original version."

"Apparently, this was a foreign version which neither director Robert Zemeckis nor I even knew existed, for some country that had a problem with the Oh La La magazine cover," Gale continued. "I asked that the studio destroy this version. FYI, Netflix does not edit films — they only run the versions that are supplied to them. So they're blameless. You can direct your ire at Universal, but I think they will be a lot more careful in the future — and with 'the future.'"
    https://www.newsarama.com/50307-back...-the-film.html

Gotta get them clicks, though.

Youtube outrage culture is fucking pathetic. Do the idiots spreading this garbage seriously think a platform like Netflix would jeopardize their partnerships with these studios by altering the films/shows they are given without permission?
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2020-05-24 at 03:35 PM.

I haven't seen a single movie that's been censored across my streaming services. The last time I saw an obviously censored movie, was on TV back in the 90's, Robocop. They'd edited out the part where one of the bad guys starts to melt and gets hit by the car.

But I don't live in the US, nor any other country that might take issue with lightly dressed women. This sounds like your typical right-wing Youtuber outrage culture burst though.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post

Youtube outrage culture is fucking pathetic. Do the idiots spreading this garbage seriously think a platform like Netflix would jeopardize their partnerships with these studios by altering the films/shows they are given without permission?
    And there it is.

All that outrage over nothing, how very predictable.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2020-05-24 at 03:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Censorship is the way of the future. Unfortunately we are slowly but surely entering a dystopian police state society, and the average sheep is welcoming it with open arms.

It’s simply a preclusion to the total collapse of society, which I predict will occur within the next 50 years.

10+ Year Old Account

Sounds like more corporate fuckery(Not on netflix's side though).
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    I haven't seen a single movie that's been censored across my streaming services. The last time I saw an obviously censored movie, was on TV back in the 90's, Robocop. They'd edited out the part where one of the bad guys starts to melt and gets hit by the car.

But I don't live in the US, nor any other country that might take issue with lightly dressed women. This sounds like your typical right-wing Youtuber outrage culture burst though.

And there it is.

All that outrage over nothing, how very predictable.
    Right-leaning youtubers are great at making a big deal out of the most mundane shit.

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    The Back to the Future 2 edit was noticed and fixed hours before this thread was ever conceived of, its a non issue. Apparently Universal had given Netflix the wrong copy of the movie, one intended for certain foreign markets and has now rectified the error and given them the normal unedited copy which should be what is now streaming, according to the movie's writer who had personally complained and contacted them.

Disney+ is absurd enough for these complaints though.
    You can't just come in here and destroy a thread like that! We haven't even had a handfull of people accusing others to be sheep!

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    So apparently streaming services like Netflix and Disney+ are censoring movies on their services. The latest victim being Back to the Future 2. I personally am against censoring movies and music. i dislike it when songs are censored on the radio and I hate that movies are now being censored as well. If you don't like a movie or song then don't watch/listen to it. Don't ruin it for others.

Should probably look into things more thoroughly before letting that faux outrage get the better of you. (not you s_bushido)

Quote Originally Posted by Sámsa View Post

This was 15 years ago...

They got their work cut out for them then streaming The Simpsons on their platform, cause that show has a LOT of mature themed content in it.