Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    We'll probably never know because, as per the article:

At this point in time in America, there is no excuse for Police officers to not be equipped with Body Cameras. Police vehicles should also all have cameras. If you're an honest cop... you have nothing to fear from a video record of your workday.
    It's like my IT company being able to check anything I do on my work computer. I go to some sketchy as fuck sites? Yeah, I'm gonna get in trouble for that shit as I should if I did so on a work machine during work hours. I ain't worried about that, not that our IT spies on us, and I'm not sure why cops are so terrified either.

We literally fuckin pay their salaries, rofl.

10+ Year Old Account
    We'll probably never know because, as per the article:

At this point in time in America, there is no excuse for Police officers to not be equipped with Body Cameras. Police vehicles should also all have cameras. If you're an honest cop... you have nothing to fear from a video record of your workday.
    Simple process; let's push to federally eliminate qualified immunity as a concept, and to not accept an officer's testimony alone as evidence enough for positive defense claims.

Which means any police shooting, the officer needs hard evidence to demonstrate they had reasonable cause to think lethal force was justified. Body cams are the easy path to ensure this for every officer. No body cam and no other evidence? Sorry, all we know is you're confessing to an intentional homicide and don't have an exculpatory positive defense for said homicide, so it's murder.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Simple process; let's push to federally eliminate qualified immunity as a concept, and to not accept an officer's testimony alone as evidence enough for positive defense claims.

Which means any police shooting, the officer needs hard evidence to demonstrate they had reasonable cause to think lethal force was justified. Body cams are the easy path to ensure this for every officer. No body cam and no other evidence? Sorry, all we know is you're confessing to an intentional homicide and don't have an exculpatory positive defense for said homicide, so it's murder.
    Yeah, no qualified immunity. And making any defense of lethal force automatically an affirmative defense...which at least means they need to prove their case to at least a standard of preponderance of evidence. Bare minimum.

Hell, even Lindsay Graham is waivering a bit on qualified immunity.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...fied-immunity/

I mean, it's barely moving the needle...but it's more than any Republican would give after George Floyd.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Since Kyle Rittenhouse and the response from the police happened in this thread, I would just like to give an update on the Kyle Rittenhouse situation. He is now being sued for wrongful death, along with the police department. A federal judge ruled today that the trial can proceed and the motions to dismiss the case were tossed yesterday. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...rule-rcna68856

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Since Kyle Rittenhouse and the response from the police happened in this thread, I would just like to give an update on the Kyle Rittenhouse situation. He is now being sued for wrongful death, along with the police department. A federal judge ruled today that the trial can proceed and the motions to dismiss the case were tossed yesterday. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...rule-rcna68856
    Honestly I'm skeptical about including Rittenhouse in this, but local cops should absolutely be facing serious heat for how closely they seemed to be working with a lot of the white nationalist and militia groups and the situation that predictably resulted in.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatBlast View Post
    Shittenhouse will get by unaffected in the end, but the situation itself was so poorly managed by local authorities that this shit happened because of their negligence IMO.

Still doesn’t absolve shittenhouse, claiming self defense after looking for trouble while armed is snooker loopy but nothing can be done about that; piss-poor law enforcement though…
    He'll have a long career of doing the right-wing speaking circuit, as he's already began given that his apparent dreams of being a paramedic have fizzled and that one college he said he was going to that said "lolnope he hasn't fuckin applied yet" or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Honestly I'm skeptical about including Rittenhouse in this, but local cops should absolutely be facing serious heat for how closely they seemed to be working with a lot of the white nationalist and militia groups and the situation that predictably resulted in.
    He escaped prosecution with a pretty liberal interpretation of self defense. Wrongful death suits can freely ignore that to look at whether he should have even put himself into that situation or brought heavy armament to a peaceful protest in the first place. Especially since civil cases are not held to the "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard. Just "preponderance of the evidence". He it's more likely he's a shitty extremist who jumped at the chance to shoot some libs than not, he'll lose, "reasonable doubt" is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    He escaped prosecution with a pretty liberal interpretation of self defense. Wrongful death suits can freely ignore that to look at whether he should have even put himself into that situation or brought heavy armament to a peaceful protest in the first place. Especially since civil cases are not held to the "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard. Just "preponderance of the evidence". He it's more likely he's a shitty extremist who jumped at the chance to shoot some libs than not, he'll lose, "reasonable doubt" is irrelevant.
    Especially since he could not legally possess the gun, going by Wisconsin gun laws. The only reason he didn't get convicted, was because that charge was thrown out.

Browsing Reddit...people that still think he killed a bunch of Black dudes are fuckin' pumped.

The police department probably should be held at least somewhat liable. I'm still not clear why they allowed riots to continue to the extent that they did, but it's not very surprising that multiple days of riots, arson, and looting would culminate in escalating violence. I'm surprised that the state wasn't included as a defendant, given the slowness of responding with appropriate personnel.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    The police department probably should be held at least somewhat liable. I'm still not clear why they allowed riots to continue to the extent that they did, but it's not very surprising that multiple days of riots, arson, and looting would culminate in escalating violence. I'm surprised that the state wasn't included as a defendant, given the slowness of responding with appropriate personnel.
    I do wonder if we'll ever find out how many of those fires were "false flags" as we've learned that quite a few of the arson or other vandalism/property destruction attempts over the years have been. I'm skeptical though given that the cops, especially in Kenosha, are very closely connected with the right wing extremist groups responsible.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...nichols-arrest

A sixth Memphis officer was fired on Friday after an internal police investigation showed he violated multiple department policies in the violent arrest of Tyre Nichols, including rules surrounding the deployment of a stun gun, officials said.

Preston Hemphill had previously been suspended as he was investigated for his role in the arrest of Nichols, who died three days later. Five Memphis officers have already been fired and charged with second-degree murder in Nichols’s death.

Hemphill was the third officer at a traffic stop that preceded the violent arrest but was not present when Nichols was beaten.

On body camera footage from the initial stop, Hemphill is heard saying that he stunned Nichols and declaring: “I hope they stomp his ass.”

Also Friday, a Tennessee board suspended the emergency medical technician licenses of two former Memphis fire department employees, EMT Robert Long and advanced EMT JaMichael Sandridge, for failing to render critical care.
    So the suspended officer is now fired, and two of the EMT's that failed to provide care have lost their licenses.

So the suspended officer is now fired, and two of the EMT's that failed to provide care have lost their licenses.
    Fired is a good start. I know he wasn't present for the fatal beatdown...but I do hope they're eyeing him up for other charges...like the initial assault.

Any cop that so much as looked twice at Tyre Nichols that day should be investigated.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Fired is a good start. I know he wasn't present for the fatal beatdown...but I do hope they're eyeing him up for other charges...like the initial assault.
    Well, I'm sure he's already got at least a few departments, probably in Florida, reaching out with job offers. You wouldn't want to potentially ruin his career just because he was pretty directly involved in the fatal beating of an unarmed, innocent man.

https://apnews.com/article/law-enfor...6d8f42cf98b3c6

The officer who pulled Tyre Nichols from his car before police fatally beat him never explained why he was being stopped, newly released documents show, and emerging reports from Memphis residents suggest that was common.

The Memphis Police Department blasted Demetrius Haley and four other officers as “blatantly unprofessional” and asked that they be stripped of the ability to work as police for their role in the Jan. 7 beating, according to documents released Tuesday by the Tennessee Peace Officers Standards and Training Commission.

They also include revelations that Haley took photographs of Nichols as he lay propped against a police car, then sent the photos to other officers and a female acquaintance.
    Eyo if those other officers who were sent this image saw it and failed to immediately report it to the department, fire them all too.

Eyo if those other officers who were sent this image saw it and failed to immediately report it to the department, fire them all too.
    That might depend on the exact nature of the images... but they should definitely be looked at closely.

I believe 7 more are facing discipline issues as well from the Tyre Nichols stop. This is also including some from the Fire Department.

https://archive.is/YA3sm

Los Angeles County Sheriff’s deputies are forming a new “gang” in the agency’s East L.A. station, according to a deputy who alleges in a lawsuit he was abused when he refused to join the group.

Amayel Garfias filed his lawsuit in Superior Court last month, claiming he was harassed, assaulted and purposely put in harm’s way by an alleged member of the new “gang.” Both the county and several sheriff’s employees should be held responsible for allowing the East L.A. station to remain under “gang” control, the lawsuit states.

The Sheriff’s Department did not respond to a request for comment, and attorneys for the county have not yet responded to the lawsuit in court.

The lawsuit comes less than a year after the independent watchdog over the department, Inspector General Max Huntsman, compiled a list of more than 40 sheriff’s deputies who he said were members of gang-like groups operating in several stations. The list included 11 alleged members of the Banditos, a group in the East L.A. station.
    At what point do the feds come in and start treating this like actual organized crime and shit?

https://mississippitoday.org/2023/02...enkins-parker/

The attorney said during that time, the deputies waterboarded Jenkins and Parker. Waterboarding is an illegal torture technique that involves strapping someone down, putting a wet rag in their mouth and pouring water over them to simulate drowning.

“It was senseless and uncalled for,” Parker said at the news conference. “It was traumatizing and something I never thought I’d go through.”

It ended when a deputy placed a gun in Jenkins’ mouth and pulled the trigger, Shabazz said. Jenkins could have died, but the bullet exited his mouth.

https://archive.is/YA3sm

At what point do the feds come in and start treating this like actual organized crime and shit?
    I bet they all got the same tattoo...

15+ Year Old Account
    Police are called on *Checks notes* people playing basketball. Black people specifically.

https://twitter.com/Imposter_Edits/s...80126172381187
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"