Quote Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
    Depends on the departments rules for engaging in long chases
    I'm not talking about a long chase. I'm talking about after the cop jumped out of his car and started yelling at the deputy...would the deputy have just let that guy back into his car to drive away if he wasn't a cop?
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    I'm not talking about a long chase. I'm talking about after the cop jumped out of his car and started yelling at the deputy...would the deputy have just let that guy back into his car to drive away if he wasn't a cop?
    As I am not the Sherriff in the video I can't say what would happen. I have seen plenty of vids where the cop is talking with the person and the person pretty much does exactly what the cop that ran did. Usually the cop will pursue when that happens though. As well as seeing plenty of videos where the cop feels threatened and shoots the driver. Again the Sheriffs department might have rules saying that if you have identifiable information about a person and the situation is not life and death don't pursue, and then they will arrest the person later when the risk potential to the public is lessened.

Another thing in this situation is that at 2:12 in the video there appears to be a female in the passenger seat and she does not appear to be an on-duty officer from what little you can make out(I could be wrong). This very easily could be a person doing a ride along, if so I imagine there are different procedures in place when doing them.
    Last edited by Deus Mortis; 2023-06-14 at 03:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
    As I am not the Sherriff in the video I can't say what would happen. I have seen plenty of vids where the cop is talking with the person and the person pretty much does exactly what the cop that ran did. Usually the cop will pursue when that happens though. As well as seeing plenty of videos where the cop feels threatened and shoots the driver. Again the Sheriffs department might have rules saying that if you have identifiable information about a person and the situation is not life and death don't pursue, and then they will arrest the person later when the risk potential to the public is lessened.

Another thing in this situation is that at 2:12 in the video there appears to be a female in the passenger seat and she does not appear to be an on-duty officer from what little you can make out(I could be wrong). This very easily could be a person doing a ride along, if so I imagine there are different procedures in place when doing them.
    I can tell you that the actual rules for any stop are to tell the driver to remain in his vehicle... because that's a safety issue for everyone involved. And if the driver had gotten right up in the Deputy's face...well, it's very likely some force would have been used to regain control of the situation.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

https://reason.com/2023/06/15/a-civi...-arrested-her/

Cops keep arresting and harassing people for lawfully filming them in public. This time Mississippi cops stupidly targeted a civil rights attorney to harass.

Real, why cops think they can arrest people for lawfully filming their activities in public is beyond me. Though I understand the motivation when those videos have often proven instrumental in debunking dishonest police narratives or catching their lies or when they try to plant evidence on a suspect and such. It makes it really hard to get away with that when there's third party recorded evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It's telling that they continue to feel like they can just get away with this shit, especially knowing that body cameras are a thing.

Glad the recording officer called it in and followed it up. Expecting law enforcement to not to 80 in a 45 zone because they're late to work shouldn't be asking too much.
    I'm more shocked that the department fired him. See, when cops hold each other accountable, it causes the public to start to trust them as the public knows that they cannot get away with something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Real, why cops think they can arrest people for lawfully filming their activities in public is beyond me.
    It's that whole no accountability thing.
    Princesses can kill knights to rescue dragons.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    https://reason.com/2023/06/15/a-civi...-arrested-her/

Cops keep arresting and harassing people for lawfully filming them in public. This time Mississippi cops stupidly targeted a civil rights attorney to harass.

Real, why cops think they can arrest people for lawfully filming their activities in public is beyond me. Though I understand the motivation when those videos have often proven instrumental in debunking dishonest police narratives or catching their lies or when they try to plant evidence on a suspect and such. It makes it really hard to get away with that when there's third party recorded evidence.
    All cops should be filmed while on duty, at all times. If I could release swarms of robot drones with cameras and microphones to do just that, livestreaming and archiving everything they find, I absolutely would, and the world (or at least the USA) would be a better place for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    All cops should be filmed while on duty, at all times. If I could release swarms of robot drones with cameras and microphones to do just that, livestreaming and archiving everything they find, I absolutely would, and the world (or at least the USA) would be a better place for it.
    Some of us don't want to live in the Panopticon.

But police officers should be considered to have agreed to such surveillance while on duty. I don't have a problem with that, just the broad nature of swarms of robot cameras everywhere.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

But police officers should be considered to have agreed to such surveillance while on duty. I don't have a problem with that, just the broad nature of swarms of robot cameras everywhere.
    Oh, I more meant the robot swarms would be just for the cops, not for everyone. Sorry if that wasn't clear, hah! I actually agree with you on disliking the Panopticon we practically live in already, I just think there's some jobs (such as policing) that should absolutely be under surveillance at all times, and fully available to the public.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Oh, I more meant the robot swarms would be just for the cops, not for everyone. Sorry if that wasn't clear, hah! I actually agree with you on disliking the Panopticon we practically live in already, I just think there's some jobs (such as policing) that should absolutely be under surveillance at all times, and fully available to the public.
    That last bit is going to cause alot of privacy law issues just due to police interacting with the public.

https://apnews.com/article/george-fl...7f9d8cf1d5be2e

The Justice Department accused Minneapolis police Friday of engaging in a pattern of violating constitutional rights and discriminating against Black and Native American people following an investigation prompted by the killing of George Floyd.

The sweeping two-year civil rights investigation found that Minneapolis officers used excessive force, including “unjustified deadly force,” and violated the rights of people engaged in constitutionally protected speech. The probe also found that both police and the city discriminated against people with “behavioral health disabilities” when officers are called for help.

“We observed many MPD officers who did their difficult work with professionalism, courage and respect,” Attorney General Merrick Garland told a news conference in Minneapolis. “But the patterns and practices we observed made what happened to George Floyd possible.”

The report included allegations that police for years “used dangerous techniques and weapons against people who committed at most a petty offense and sometimes no offense at all.” Officers “used force to punish people who made officers angry or criticized the police.”

Police also “patrolled neighborhoods differently based on their racial composition and discriminated based on race when searching, handcuffing or using force against people during stops,” the report said.

As a result of the investigation, the city and the police department agreed to a deal known as a federal consent decree, which will require reforms to be overseen by an independent monitor and approved by a federal judge. That arrangement is similar to reform efforts in Seattle, New Orleans, Baltimore and Ferguson, Missouri.
    And following a multi-year investigation Minneapolis PD is under a federal consent decree. I wonder how many decades this one will drag on for. Oakland is on its third decade of it and the policing is still dogshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

The irony of the whole thing is years ago when body cams were starting to come out, a large amount of police officers actively wanted body cams. They wanted to have them because they wanted to prove people were lying about what happens. I guess they found out that, while not all, quite a few do abuse their position and the body cams do show that constantly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    That last bit is going to cause alot of privacy law issues just due to police interacting with the public.
    I really wouldn't want livestreaming anyway if in the event there is a legitimate investigation happening. Videotaping it, sure. Publicly available, once it goes to court, it should be as it is now evidence.

https://apnews.com/article/george-fl...7f9d8cf1d5be2e

And following a multi-year investigation Minneapolis PD is under a federal consent decree. I wonder how many decades this one will drag on for. Oakland is on its third decade of it and the policing is still dogshit.
    My backyard.

While luckily I have had no encounters with MPD in a long, long, time this is no surprise. Almost a reflection of many police departments

What has always been discussed is true which they targeted the groups we always talk about black and here Indigenous. Yes Minneapolis has a good size Indigenous people.

Excessive fore. I mean cmon! Of course!

Retaliation vs protesters. Well yes, this is their authoritarian brain to lash out at any type of back lash.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/villa-r...ctice-apology/

A Georgia police department has issued an apology after photos and video shared by the department showed officers using shooting targets with photos of a Black man during a gun safety class.

The images, shared by the Villa Rica Police Department on Saturday, June 17, showed that every single target was covered with a photo of a Black man.

The images appear to have been removed from the department's Facebook page, but the initial posts and comments remain. Many in the comments questioned the targets, calling them "offensive and disrespectful" and calling for an apology from the department.

On Tuesday, the department shared an apology on Facebook, saying that they strive "to be conscious of how our relationship with our community members has a direct impact on our effectiveness within the community we serve." According to 2022 data from the U.S. Census Bureau, 42.6% of Villa Rica, a city of about 18,000, is Black.

"The targets utilized in our recent firearms class depict realistic human images and were part of a package which included target images of people from various ethnic groups," the department said. The apology did not explain why the only images shared showed Black men. The department has not responded to a request for comment from CBS News.
    white supremacy and racism remains strong within law enforcement, I see.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/29/us/sc...day/index.html

Welp, good news!

If you're an officer our judicial system as again affirmed that you have no obligation to do your job and you're legally protected if you ignore all training and duty and just stand outside the school you're supposed to be the resources officer for while a gunman murders nearly 20 people.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/29/us/sc...day/index.html

Welp, good news!

If you're an officer our judicial system as again affirmed that you have no obligation to do your job and you're legally protected if you ignore all training and duty and just stand outside the school you're supposed to be the resources officer for while a gunman murders nearly 20 people.
    Well, he's still guilty of being a coward and a loser.
    “There you stand, the good man doing nothing. And while evil triumphs, and your rigid pacifism crumbles to blood stained dust, the only victory afforded to you is that you stuck true to your guns.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    Well, he's still guilty of being a coward and a loser.
    And be hailed by Conservatives in Florida as a hero against those crisis actors.

I really feel bad for David Hogg -- like losing his friends wasn't enough. The dude semi-responsible for it doesn't get punished for his cowardice.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

cops duty to protect life starts with their own. I mean its pussy stuff but its no illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    cops duty to protect life starts with their own. I mean its pussy stuff but its no illegal.
    Not doing one's job is not illegal, but they should also not be paid or given authority or privileges that come with the job. They should absolutely be fired, and the whole department defunded if they are going to sit on their asses and do nothing when the public is in danger.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

https://www.kansascity.com/news/stat...277539608.html

The Kansas Highway Patrol “has waged war on motorists,” a federal judge wrote in a scathing ruling against the agency’s practice of extending car stops in hopes of discovering drugs.

In the order filed Friday, U.S. District Judge Kathryn H. Vratil wrote that patrol’s tactics in traffic stops violated the Constitution.

The practice, called the “Kansas two step,” is a maneuver in which troopers at the end of a traffic stop take a couple of steps toward their patrol car before turning around to initiate a voluntary interaction with the driver.

The strategy would buy the patrol extra time to probe for incriminating information or get a drug-sniffing dog to a location.

“As wars go, this one is relatively easy,” Vratil wrote. “It’s simple and cheap, and for motorists, it’s not a fair fight. The war is basically a question of numbers: stop enough cars and you’re bound to discover drugs. And what’s the harm if a few constitutional rights are trampled along the way?”
    America, land of where Kansas Highway Patrol officers "wage war" on motorists according to a federal judge.