Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    Hahaha

Y'all remember that episode of South Park where Randy went on Wheel of Fortune?
    I keep thinking of the South Park episode where they get rid of the police because they shot a kid then went begging for them back because they needed to get rid of the homeless crowding up the Wholefoods parking lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Again, this is the sort of thing people complicit in a culture of covering up abuse say.

Like, say, police culture that encourages overlooking (and thus enabling) domestic violence to the tune of...say....40% of cops?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah it's like with Mitt Romney, I'll take the W.

When people in the mainstream start trying to coopt the movement, that's how you know it's working.
    So saying everyone lies so you should not believe them without reservation is being complicit in abuse, because everyone always tells the truth?

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200...o-cameras-roll

Add:

Killed for failing to dim headlights at night

to the list of things that can get you murdered by the police for being black.

Oh, and this was broadcast on live TV. And from a while back. And "Live PD", much like "Cops" before them, appear to be ratfucking the investigation.

Protocols that Chody put in place on Feb. 28, 2020, say a car chase is justified only when a deputy believes that a person has committed a crime “for which there is an immediate need for apprehension.” The department’s pursuit policy from last year was not immediately available.
    Because it seems that they were looking to give a good show for the cameras over actually prioritizing public safety.

"Oh, but he took them on a 22 minute chase and didn't immediately pull over!"

Irrelevant. It was a non-violent, non-dangerous offense that did not warrant a police chase, much less multiple taser attacks that led to his murder.

He was killed for failing to turn down his headlights.

"Oh, but the officer is black!"

Irrelevant. Police brutality and institutional racism doesn't care, and this continues to fit all the patterns of police aggression that we've seen over the past week, and decades.

The fact that shows like Cops and Live PD even exist is fucking repulsive. And knowing the histories of those shows and how aggressively manufactured they are makes them even more disgusting, especially considering how many people were wrongly arrested or imprisoned or coerced into pleading guilty by fucking producers so they could get their shots for the next episode.

Policing. Is. Not. Entertainment.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...rotests-309932

National Guard members who were activated for the protests are speaking out against what they've seen, including the excessive use of force to clear out peaceful protesters in Lafayette Square.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    So saying everyone lies so you should not believe them without reservation is being complicit in abuse, because everyone always tells the truth?
    No, it means that "everyone lies" is a convenient excuse for you and other folk to not check your bias before assessing shit and that is how you are complicit in maintaining systems of abuse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Because that's a hand wave stance to not address the situation, police lying about killing someone is not the same as a cop lying about his rank. There are degrees and levels to everything taking paint brush and say well it's just lie is disingenious.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, it means that "everyone lies" is a convenient excuse for you and other folk to not check your bias before assessing shit and that is how you are complicit in maintaining systems of abuse.
    Like you not checking you bias against anyone that does not blindly agree with you 100%?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Because that's a hand wave stance to not address the situation, police lying about killing someone is not the same as a cop lying about his rank. There are degrees and levels to everything taking paint brush and say well it's just lie is disingenious.
    Or it means that you understand a cop is just as motivated to lie about murdering someone as anyone else.

Or it means that you understand a cop is just as motivated to lie about murdering someone as anyone else.
    Then they shouldn't be a fucking cop. One would expect that cops should be a bit less dishonest and shitty than the murderer's they're supposed to catch. One would think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Then they shouldn't be a fucking cop. One would expect that cops should be a bit less dishonest and shitty than the murderer's they're supposed to catch. One would think.
    The real issue is that any suggestion of unethical conduct, like lying about the facts of an incident, should be treated by suspending the officer immediately while it's investigated, and only allowing the officer to return to work if that investigation exonerates the officer concretely. If it's just "we can't tell from the evidence", they're fired. As simple as that. I don't care if they're lying about use of force or if they're lying about hitting on someone during a traffic stop. Fired. With cause. Should never be allowed to work in any police capacity ever again.

If that investigation discovers they're guilty, fired and charged appropriately, with the full weight of the union and the PD both being wielded against that officer, not in their defense.

There should be no circumstance where any officer with any suspected abuse in their record is still on active duty. Ever.

And if you think that's somehow an impossible standard; you're the problem. It's standard for so many other professions. A teacher suspected of abusing students? Gone, the moment the accusation is filed, and if there is any uncertainty, they're never teaching again. Not because "they're probably guilty", but because protecting those they have power over is paramount. For teachers, that's their students. For police officers, that's everyone.

Except it's not just one cop it's a bunch of cops with a department that has bodycam video footage of what happened covering for them. How many levels of covering up for a murder do you find acceptable?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why? They are human and have a desire for self-preservation. Very few people will admit to a serious error if they think they can lie their way out of significant punishment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Except it's not just one cop it's a bunch of cops with a department that has bodycam video footage of what happened covering for them. How many levels of covering up for a murder do you find acceptable?
    I don't find any level acceptable, nor have I stated I do. Just because you expect a behavior does not mean you accept the behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Right, because men have never mistreated their wives, ever in all of human history has this never happened. Because why would someone marry someone that they think is lesser than them, right?

Bold of you to assert knowledge of how much he loves his wife. Where do you get this idea?
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

10+ Year Old Account
    Why? They are human and have a desire for self-preservation. Very few people will admit to a serious error if they think they can lie their way out of significant punishment.
    Kay.

So we should make it legal for people to defend themselves against the police, yes?
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kay.

So we should make it legal for people to defend themselves against the police, yes?
    Wow you are dense.... I fail to see how saying the police lie is an endorsement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow you are dense.... I fail to see how saying the police lie is an endorsement.
    Nah. If, as you claim, police are equally as fallible as other humans then we should be allowed to defend ourselves against them as we would with other humans, right?

"have equal rights and not be far more likely to be murdered by the police"
    Both of these are already true, though.
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeth Hawkins View Post
    Both of these are already true, though.
    Uh huh. And how would you know?

15+ Year Old Account
    Bold of you to assert knowledge of how much he loves his wife. Where do you get this idea?
    It was an example of how throughout all of human history men married someone they thought of were lesser people.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah. If, as you claim, police are equally as fallible as other humans then we should be allowed to defend ourselves against them as we would with other humans, right?
    I do not object to the concept of self defense against unlawful acts when you are acting within the law against any person.

Uh huh. And how would you know?
    For the "far more likely to be murdered by the police":
    https://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/23/1/27
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

10+ Year Old Account
    I do not object to the concept of self defense against unlawful acts when you are acting within the law against any person.
    So, yes.

Why even have police, then, if it is ultimately a function of who can best justify their reasons for homicide?

- - - Updated - - -

For the "far more likely to be murdered by the police":
    https://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/23/1/27
    https://www.statista.com/chart/21872...ack-americans/

About 2.5 times more likely. You're welcome.