Quote Originally Posted by Lost controller View Post
    I don't know why your fixated on her being a woman but if you can't physically perform your job you shouldn't be doing it... if you saw the video there is no way you believe she was in control of the situation.
    SO, literally only the strongest person on the planet can be a police officer?

I don't know why your fixated on her being a woman but if you can't physically perform your job you shouldn't be doing it... if you saw the video there is no way you believe she was in control of the situation.
    You're the one that brought it up, stop projecting because you think women can't effectively perform their jobs as officers because you saw a video where one officer screwed up big, as if it's gender and not a massive failure in training and accountability that led to the tragedy.

She wasn't the one primarily handling the situation, she and another officer were there in a support roll.

Man, this shit just brings out all the sexist posts, doesn't it. Were it a guy that accidentally killed Wright I have no doubt you would be attacking him for his gender being incapable of controlling a situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    SO, literally only the strongest person on the planet can be a police officer?
    I mean we have the video. I don't see why we are trying to turn this into body builders fighting...

https://twitter.com/i/status/1381657719569010688

You can't ask for cops to be unable to restrain someone without lethal without them being physically fit. You can see how the situation spirals out of control.

I mean we have the video. I don't see why we are trying to turn this into body builders fighting...

You can't ask for cops to be unable to restrain someone without lethal without them being physically fit. You can see how the situation spirals out of control.
    The primary officer arresting Wright was a man. He lost control of the situation. By your logic, men shouldn't be allowed to be out on patrol.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    They don't need to dispute the results concretely. They need to present reasonable doubt. That the autopsies could possibly be wrong.
    That's not "reasonable doubt". Emphasis on the word "reasonable".

You can't just say "but hey, it MIGHT be wrong." You need to establish where they may have been wrong, where they made a call that could have gone either way, how another professional may have ruled differently (much harder with two mutually-corroborative autopsies, of course).

Once again... someone is always going to be stronger, unless it's literally the strongest dude on the planet. The male officer was larger, but even he lost control. Have you every tried to restrain someone? I'm guessing you have literally zero experience on the issue.

Do you have any evidence either of these offices is not physically fit?

I don't know why you're focused on physical fitness when the issue is that the officer apparently can't tell the difference between a taser and a glock.
    We're gonna Godwin so much you might even get tired of Godwinning

The officer passed the fitness standards to enter the police force.

Your position here isn't just biased, it's objectively wrong on the facts. The officer was physically fit for duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    The primary officer arresting Wright was a man. He lost control of the situation. By your logic, men shouldn't be allowed to be out on patrol.
    i could agree with that.

no men no women.

Hoenstly what is the point of it? Police don't really "stop" crime... they either show up to address crimes or they create crimes.

Why should cops do traffic stops? Why not leave that to the traffic people who don't have weapons? Why even stop people for taillights or what have you? Have a picture taken and mail a summons or whatever to the fucking address. It's all phising.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That's not "reasonable doubt". Emphasis on the word "reasonable".

You can't just say "but hey, it MIGHT be wrong." You need to establish where they may have been wrong, where they made a call that could have gone either way, how another professional may have ruled differently (much harder with two mutually-corroborative autopsies, of course).
    Actually, they can. Their entire case is going to be exactly that. Whether or not that convinces the jury is a separate matter.

Actually, they can. Their entire case is going to be exactly that. Whether or not that convinces the jury is a separate matter.
    Sure, they can make the argument. They can say Floyd died from an infestation of Nega-fairies from the Planet Orblux, if they want to.

And sure, the jury can be complete idiots who fail serve their role and say "yeah, Nega-fairies MIGHT exist".

That just demonstrates how easy it is for unjust decisions to come out of the US court system, though. It doesn't defend the use of that strategy or the functionality of the jury system. It points to significant flaws in both.

I don't know why you're focused on physical fitness when the issue is that the officer apparently can't tell the difference between a taser and a glock.
    I don't know why everyone is focused on responding to someone who comes out of nowhere with a VERY low post count immediately after someone was banned yesterday for pushing the same sexist garbage.

Sure, they can make the argument. They can say Floyd died from an infestation of Nega-fairies from the Planet Orblux, if they want to.

And sure, the jury can be complete idiots who fail serve their role and say "yeah, Nega-fairies MIGHT exist".

That just demonstrates how easy it is for unjust decisions to come out of the US court system, though. It doesn't defend the use of that strategy or the functionality of the jury system. It points to significant flaws in both.
    Don't move goalposts.

You were saying the defense isn't valid.

Now you are saying that it's only valid because of the flaws in the system.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    They haven't presented any "reasonable" evidence that the autopsies could be wrong though... and the lawyer... my fucking god

"if we just ignore all the facts of the case... wouldn't you agree it could possibly maybe be something else?"
    It was their first witness. They don't have to provide reasonable doubt based on the testimony of a single witness. When they rest their case...that will be when it's determined whether or not they provided they jury with enough evidence of reasonable doubt.

And for the record, I believe Chauvin is guilty. I believe the results of the autopsy were accurate. All I am saying is that his legal team has to provide the best defense they can for him.
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2021-04-13 at 06:00 PM.

The cop in the Wright shooting has quit and the Police Chief is stepping down.

- - - Updated - - -

I really hate to say it but this just looks like a horrible fucking tragedy - that should have been prevented with better training and less racist cops.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I really hate to say it but this just looks like a horrible fucking tragedy - that should have been prevented with better training and less racist cops.
    Accidental, yes. But should still be accountability, and it speaks to the broader trends in the ongoing failure of both initial and ongoing training for officers in the US. This is, as has been discussed, hardly the first time an officer has mistaken a service weapon for a taser, and while I haven't searched extensively this seems to be yet another thing that's uniquely American.

Don't move goalposts.

You were saying the defense isn't valid.

Now you are saying that it's only valid because of the flaws in the system.
    No, I'm saying its invalidity might be ignored because the courts allow invalid arguments to be presented without consequence, and juries often decide on emotion rather than reason, particularly in the case of a hung jury.

I'm using "valid" in the sense of logic and legal procedure, not in what a jury might accept.

- - - Updated - - -

The person who shot the dude was literally the training officer. If a training officer can't figure out which thing to whip out and shoot then some serious changes are needed. Like maybe don't allow officers to pull anybody over for nickle and dime BS things like air fresheners. Every interaction with police these days has a very real chance of being a deadly shooting event and people are so freaked out and terrified they are doing stupid things during those interactions. It is time to limit those interactions to only actual crimes worthy of the use of deadly force.

- - - Updated - - -

It's the kind of "horrible fucking tragedy" that should see the offending officer spending time in prison.

The same way we would if the officer was texting their buddies while driving and plowed into the toddler who was standing in the street.
    The same way we would if the officer was drunk on the job and fired randomly at a wall for fun, and shot someone on the other side of said wall.

Sure, maybe it's just negligent manslaughter, but that's still a prison sentence. Their negligence and incompetence isn't an ameliorating circumstance; if anything, it should exacerbate their sentencing.

No, I'm saying its invalidity might be ignored because the courts allow invalid arguments to be presented without consequence, and juries often decide on emotion rather than reason, particularly in the case of a hung jury.

I'm using "valid" in the sense of logic and legal procedure, not in what a jury might accept.
    Well, the judge ruled that the testimony was admissible...but only in regards to the effect of the opiates on the human body. The jury was instructed to disregard the testimony as evidence to Floyd's character. So, according to the judge presiding over the case, the defense is valid in terms of logic and legal procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by kaid View Post
    The person who shot the dude was literally the training officer.
    She's a 26 year veteran, did you not bother reading the article?