Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Officer Micropenis was "intimidated" by a 19-year-old girl smirking at him.
    We seriously need to do something about what appears to be rampant cowardice within our law enforcement. I thought it was a job for "tough guys", not snowflakes that crumple and feel threatened with little more than a look from a fuckin teenager.

Should start doling out snowflake badges so we know which officers are likely to view us as a threat simply for existing.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    We seriously need to do something about what appears to be rampant cowardice within our law enforcement. I thought it was a job for "tough guys", not snowflakes that crumple and feel threatened with little more than a look from a fuckin teenager.
    Between this and the "police are afraid to shoot citizens do their jobs!" I'm starting to think that maybe there's some sort of systemic issue with law enforcement, or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Is there something similar to anti-SLAPP laws for those who bring frivolous and obviously unconstitutional criminal charges?
    No. Instead you have the precise opposite in the form of prosecutorial immunity, meaning that the worst that can happen to a DA, no matter what miscarriages of justice they perpetrate, is that they might possibly get voted out of office.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    No. Instead you have the precise opposite in the form of prosecutorial immunity, meaning that the worst that can happen to a DA, no matter what miscarriages of justice they perpetrate, is that they might possibly get voted out of office.
    Of course. I forgot what country we're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1...323358210?s=19

Didn't know the police were an ethnic minority or any group protected under federal law. <snark>

Hmm, so this slogan is protected. We all know this was always used to dismiss BLM.
    This case should ABSOLUTELY be thrown out. It is 100% a free speech case, the cop should be fired, because if I remember this, this cop has done something like this before, and the cop should be fired, and be sued into oblivion.

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    This case should ABSOLUTELY be thrown out. It is 100% a free speech case, the cop should be fired, because if I remember this, this cop has done something like this before, and the cop should be fired, and be sued into oblivion.
    One could play the devil's advocate and argue that when someone uses the "n" word, it is a free speech case then with your logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    One could play the devil's advocate and argue that when someone uses the "n" word, it is a free speech case then with your logic.
    think for a second, you're free to say the N word, and by the logic your employer is free to fire you, for not wanting to associate with you. freedom of speech!

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    think for a second, you're free to say the N word, and by the logic your employer is free to fire you, for not wanting to associate with you. freedom of speech!
    Obviously, and that is why you do not want to use that word, or stomp on a blue sign or whatever or be disrespectful to a police officer.

Obviously, and that is why you do not want to use that word, or stomp on a blue sign or whatever or be disrespectful to a police officer.
    cops are not a minority, holy crap get out of here with that garbage.
    Last edited by uuuhname; 2021-07-15 at 06:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    cops are not a minority, holy crap get out of here with that garbage.
    As I said, you do not need to be a minority to be the target of a hate crime.

agreed, and no hate crime was perpetrated here, glad we agree.

Wrong. Because free speech only applies to the government and their employees. You know, cops. This was probably the shittiest argument you could have ever fucking used, and not surprising you used it.

- - - Updated - - -

As long as you aren't assaulting them, or threatening them, you can pretty much say anything you want to a cop, and they can't say much. And hate crimes only pertain to certain portions of society, like minorities or sexual orientations.

There isn't a damn thing a cop can really do.

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Wrong. Because free speech only applies to the government and their employees. You know, cops. This was probably the shittiest argument you could have ever fucking used, and not surprising you used it.

- - - Updated - - -

As long as you aren't assaulting them, or threatening them, you can pretty much say anything you want to a cop, and they can't say much. And hate crimes only pertain to certain portions of society, like minorities or sexual orientations.

There isn't a damn thing a cop can really do.
    Such logic seems dangerous to me. Saying anything you want to a cop, even insulting them, and they can't say anything about it ?

By government, do you mean the federal government ? Because I think most cops are employed by state government (or county or whatever). Is that not different ?

For the record, in my country, we have a misdemeanor about this : "Outrage à agent dépositaire de l'autorité publique" which means you can't anything you want or be disrespectful toward a police officer or anyone with public authority. Curious that the USA would not something equivalent.

So I guess this is why the Police officer resorted to "hate crime" which applied if we use the wikipedia definition. It seems that the legal definition of hate crime in the USA does not include the social part but it also seems that not all case are included in the legal definition.

You have to be part of a protected class in order to be the target of a hate crime, be it race, religion, sexual orientation, gender or age basically all the things that you can't change about yourself. Being a cop is not a protected class just the same as being part of a political affiliation. The officer has just brought a giant lawsuit on the town/county for unlawful arrest and imprisonment on the city and the city should look to fire him.

p.s. Also what does it say when a full grown man says a 19 year old girl had a "smirk at Carter in “an intimidating manner," and arrest her. What does it say about American police that they are so scared of anything. No wonder police in the U.S. are so gun happy because they are scared by their own shadows.

Such logic seems dangerous to me. Saying anything you want to a cop, even insulting them, and they can't say anything about it ?

By government, do you mean the federal government ? Because I think most cops are employed by state government (or county or whatever). Is that not different ?

For the record, in my country, we have a misdemeanor about this : "Outrage à agent dépositaire de l'autorité publique" which means you can't anything you want or be disrespectful toward a police officer or anyone with public authority. Curious that the USA would not something equivalent.

So I guess this is why the Police officer resorted to "hate crime" which applied if we use the wikipedia definition. It seems that the legal definition of hate crime in the USA does not include the social part but it also seems that not all case are included in the legal definition.
    Exactly. As long as it is not a fucking threat, which is illegal everywhere even with government officials. That is literally the basis of the 1st amendment.

No, government. Most cops are state employees and you still have 1st amendment protections there too. So, no, that is not different.

The devil's advocate should point us to an instance of someone being arrested for saying it, then. You know, in case he wanted to demonstrate that he had even the slightest comprehension of the words he was using (beyond what the perpetually-persecuted right-wing propagandists he listens to feed him).

10+ Year Old Account
    Cops are not a protected class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    How is that "dangerous"?

If a cop can't handle being called a "uniformed fascist fucktard, a racist shitmonger, an abusive dickweasel who's too much of a damned coward to not hide behind his gun", then he can fuck off and not be a cop, because he's pretty goddamned fragile.

Yes, a cop should have to just put up with a citizen shouting that kind of stuff at them. They should walk away. If they can't because of their duty assignment, they can suck it the fuck up. It's part of the damned job.

Fuck no. Why would it be?

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    How is that "dangerous"?

If a cop can't handle being called a "uniformed fascist fucktard, a racist shitmonger, an abusive dickweasel who's too much of a damned coward to not hide behind his gun", then he can fuck off and not be a cop, because he's pretty goddamned fragile.

Yes, a cop should have to just put up with a citizen shouting that kind of stuff at them. They should walk away. If they can't because of their duty assignment, they can suck it the fuck up. It's part of the damned job.

Fuck no. Why would it be?
    Sure, how you go try that even with a canadian cop and see how it goes before you open your mouth.

Sure, how you go try that even with a canadian cop and see how it goes before you open your mouth.
    I mean, angry Karen's get away doing it all the time.